do you mow your lawn in a paw?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dzaverl13
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

do you mow your lawn in a paw?

Post by dzaverl13 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:22 am

sorry if this has already been covered, but i looked and didn't find anything. My question is at your bol would you mow your law? there are advantages and disadvantages of both. If you would what type of preps have you set aside for it? extra gas or a hand push lawn mower?

bonanacrom

Re: do you mow your lawn in a paw?

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:28 am

Don't really believe the lawn is going to ever cross my mind in a situation like that. But if it gets to high I could always burn it down.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:43 am

lol, I'm gonna say no, don't mow your lawn... :D

Crazy Wolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Crazy Wolf » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:05 am

Ideally, I'd have sheep mowing my lawn in a PAW.
Nim's text key: SARCASM, WTF R U DOIN, Nice, I like, Inane statement
The phrase "surgical strike" might be more acceptable if it were common to perform surgery with high explosives. (G. Carlin)
ImageImage

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:06 am

You know what keeps grass down? Livestock.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

ZedR1

Post by ZedR1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:54 am

I have a scythe dummy corded to my INCH bag

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:02 am

If it is that bad I would probably be plowing/tilling my lawn, not mowing it.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:46 am

Totally dependent on the circumstances.

I was really never a big fan of lawns, but have a medium sized one for the kids' play area.

Now would I mow it?
Well,
- Do I want my place to look abandoned or occupied?
- Do I need the grass clippings? (For compost etc.)?
- Do I have too much time on my hands (bugging in can be tedious), or too little?

My guess is, I wouldn't bother. It's quite noisy, draws a lot of attention (and tells everyone loud and clear that you've got gasoline to spare...).

Got a scythe, but that takes some practice....
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

squinty
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, shaun of the dead, pre-opening credit scenes from 28 weeks later and dawn of the dead remake

Post by squinty » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:30 am

There won't be grass in the PAW, just sadness. Didn't you guys see "The Road?"
George Orwell wrote:Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

Lugnut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead!!

Post by Lugnut » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:44 am

I dont mow my lawn NOW, let alone after Teh Zombeys attack! haha!

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:13 am

Lawns would be converted to pasture or garden in the PAW, except by those who want to demonstrate status or power: "See, I'm so important, I don't need to grow a garden. I can have this vast expansive carpet of cool, green in front of my house, and an staff of servants who clip it with scissors."
I am the undisputed creator of the zombie tornado. (High Ground series now available)

Spookadelic

Post by Spookadelic » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:14 am

Always clear your field of fire beyond the range of weapons.... :D ... JK...

If you mow your lawn then make sure you get one of those non-motorized reel mowers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Modernreelmower.jpg

I can see needing to clear a small space, free of sheep poop, to relax a bit and let the kids play around. If its not a total PAW, it would be good to maintain some civility in your appearance without using precious fuel or advertising you have some. I don't want the this is the abandoned home look, not do you want the "I'm so rich I have servants take care of my lawn" look. The reel mower should work well for this.

In a Not-quite-the-PAW, you also don't want bad guy's hiding in the weeds to ambush you on your way home or while leaving your home, so get a sling blade too to knock down those overgrown areas.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:48 am

I don't mow it pre-PAW
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:03 am

Goats and sheep will mow my lawn in the PAW
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Fixxxer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (Snyder remake), 28 Days Later, Homecoming

Post by Fixxxer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:17 pm

I imagine that mowing the lawn will be the last thing on my mind after the world collapse. Just like it is now, actually.
Rule #1: I'll not be laid a hand upon.
Rule #2: Never leave the house without a knife.
Rule #3: If you have the shot, take the shot.
Rule #4: [Removed by request of moderator].
Rule #5: There's an exception to every rule.

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:00 pm

dzaverl13 wrote:sorry if this has already been covered, but i looked and didn't find anything. My question is at your bol would you mow your law? there are advantages and disadvantages of both. If you would what type of preps have you set aside for it? extra gas or a hand push lawn mower?
Since I'll be bugging in....Push reel mower for the front, tiller for the back. Sadly, I have worked it out down to the sharpening kit needed.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

Gristle McThornBody

Post by Gristle McThornBody » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Since the possibility of a massive fire sits high on my PAW possibility list, yes. Push reel mower for the entire property, and the huge lumberjack hand saws to fell the trees if need be. We keep the place cut down all year anyway for the same reason, and have 3 chainsaws, fuel, and people trained to use them. We figure we could level the 5 acres in about 2 hours, being careful of course.
Luthifer wrote:
davidt1 wrote: I like to carry my things discreetly. I don't want to look like an electrician or someone like that.
I have often feared being mistaken for an electrician. Sometimes, people ask me to rewire their breaker panels FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:35 pm

To Mow or not to mow... May 27th, 2009, 1:30 pm
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 38&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Browning 35
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:01 pm

If anything I'd want my front yard looking kind of screwed up.

In an extreme SHTF Situation/PAW I'd want : Slightly overgrown grass (not so much where someone could actually use it as concealment though) and maybe a couple of abandoned burnt out cars in front of the house flush with the porch (more cover for us inside besides what I'd improvise along the inside walls).

Then maybe I'd scatter some debris (cans, bottles, scrap metal etc) or household items that would make noise if kicked or stepped on to alert us and to make it appear as though the house had already been looted or that there had already been some sort of fight that didn't go very well for the last guys.

The last thing I'd want is to appear to be doing better than my neighbors....that would just make us a target.

So no, I definately wouldn't cut the grass in front.

The backyard has a high privacy fence....so yes, for a garden.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

ei8htx
BANNED

Post by ei8htx » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:30 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:To Mow or not to mow... May 27th, 2009, 1:30 pm
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 38&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't freakin' believe it. A dup thread on lawn mowing. You guys really have covered everything....

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:39 pm

ei8htx wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:To Mow or not to mow... May 27th, 2009, 1:30 pm
I can't freakin' believe it. A dup thread on lawn mowing. You guys really have covered everything....
I can't believe "Son I am appoint" has been floating around that long.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

TravisM.1

Post by TravisM.1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:06 pm

I use any excuse I can to keep from mowing it now. Maybe after the zombies come I can just stop all together.
I sold my soul to the devil for a .45, a black cowboy hat and a switchblade knife.......

g211

Post by g211 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Yep. With a scythe. Around here, grass over 6 inches high gets full of TICKS. Not fun.

Grey Mann

Post by Grey Mann » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 pm

I'd mow my neighbor's lawn. :wink:
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.
Do not go gentle.

Return to “What Would You Do?”