Five-round semi or ten-round bolty?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which would you rather carry into a plague of madness?

A ten-round Lee-Enfield with five-round stripper clips
60%
A five-round SKS with cut-down stripper clips
25%
A bazooka and a bad attitude
15%

Total votes: 85

TafkanX
Favorite Zombie Movies: The early Romero flicks, the Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (not so sure about Weeks), Zombieland.

Re: Five-round semi or ten-round bolty?

Post by TafkanX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:02 pm

Pondo_Sinatra wrote:That's pretty cool - looks like he was keeping his thumb hooked around the bolt handle while he was shooting? Never seen that before.

Given my current skill level with a bolt action rifle, I'd go with the SKS. If I had the time to train up like a good bolt-action shooter, the SMLE would get my vote.
It's kinda hard to tell from the video. When I am firing my SMLE I generally hold the bolt handle with my thumb and index finger and fire with my middle finger. It takes some getting used to but with practice you can get an impressive rate of fire out of your rifle.
Taf's EDC
No longer in California but still a Cali boy at heart.
ImageImage

UrbanConquest

Post by UrbanConquest » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:02 am

B
Last edited by UrbanConquest on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:21 pm

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:Tell me more of these .308 enfields...the only thing keeping me from getting an enfield is ammo price/availability.
You can get Ishapore ones rebarreled in .308 anywhere from $200- $350 last I checked. I think the OP made the right choice considering the neutered alternative. 10 is better than 5
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 pm

I gotta say thanks to everyone for making this a reasoned, intelligent discussion, and contributing so constructively. Your thoughtful input is my reward for keeping this out of Firearms.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:03 pm

BUMP. I was just wondering if any of the newer members had any thoughts on this topic. To clarify since I last posted: having been out with the SKS, I know now that folks around here don't cut their stripper clips, they just push until five rounds are in and then pull it out. Other clarifications: my .303 is a Long Branch (No. 4 MK 1*) with a sporting stock and front sight (no bayo lug), my SKSs (yes I got a second) are Chinese military Type 56 carbines made in approx. 1960 and never issued.

I enjoyed re-reading this thread, I'd forgotten about it.

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Since this thread was originally started, there have been some new developments:

1) Readily available AIA Enfield Mags that work flawlessly Norinco M14s - some are even made in the 20rd length but limited to 10 rds as Lee Enfield Mags.
2) Readily available Beowulf AR mags that can accept about 15 rds of .223 and very common LAR-15 pistol mags that can hold 10 rds of .223

The first option allows you to legally have 10 rds, rather than just 5 in a Norinco M14. The second allows you to legally have as many as 15 rds in any firearm that accepts AR mags including new really nice new CSA CZ-58s chambered in .223 with AR mag well adapters or the new Type 97 NSR rifles. I have also heard tell of someone trying to get approval of a pistol version of the VZ-58 which would open the door to 10 rd 7.62x39 rd mags for the CZ/VZ series of rifles.

On the AIA mag front, if not for a single item of stupidity in the law, 20 rd mags or even larger would have been fine. The trouble is that the section of the criminal code that prohibits semi auto centrefire mags with a capacity greater than 5 rds or not modified to hold only 5 rds contains an exemption for M1 Garand en Bloc clips and inexplicably an exemption for 10 rd Lee Enfield Mags. I say inexplicable because the Lee Enfield Mags do not require exemption since they are not made for semi-auto rifles. The RCMP interpreted that law so as to limit new Lee Enfield mags to 10 rds.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:18 pm

mantis wrote:Since this thread was originally started, there have been some new developments:

1) Readily available AIA Enfield Mags that work flawlessly Norinco M14s - some are even made in the 20rd length but limited to 10 rds as Lee Enfield Mags.
2) Readily available Beowulf AR mags that can accept about 15 rds of .223 and very common LAR-15 pistol mags that can hold 10 rds of .223

The first option allows you to legally have 10 rds, rather than just 5 in a Norinco M14. The second allows you to legally have as many as 15 rds in any firearm that accepts AR mags including new really nice new CSA CZ-58s chambered in .223 with AR mag well adapters or the new Type 97 NSR rifles. I have also heard tell of someone trying to get approval of a pistol version of the VZ-58 which would open the door to 10 rd 7.62x39 rd mags for the CZ/VZ series of rifles.

On the AIA mag front, if not for a single item of stupidity in the law, 20 rd mags or even larger would have been fine. The trouble is that the section of the criminal code that prohibits semi auto centrefire mags with a capacity greater than 5 rds or not modified to hold only 5 rds contains an exemption for M1 Garand en Bloc clips and inexplicably an exemption for 10 rd Lee Enfield Mags. I say inexplicable because the Lee Enfield Mags do not require exemption since they are not made for semi-auto rifles. The RCMP interpreted that law so as to limit new Lee Enfield mags to 10 rds.
Funny fact, if the RCMP cared to actually know anything about the law and firearms, AIA rifles are not Lee Enfields and therefore not subject to the dumb ten round limit. Thier decision is not based at all on fact and therefore has no substance.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:13 am

I have an SKS "paratrooper" and have had more then a few in the past.
I have 5 various Enfields including a pretty nice original jungle carbine. Picked up a savage enfield while back that I cut the barrel back on thinking about making a scout rifle out of.
Wouldn't make much difference to me which one I used I think I would be well armed with either, availbility of ammo would be main factor for me. I have lots of .303 but not as much as 7.69 x 39 but am thinking about setting up to reload the .303

I think way to much importance is put on having to have a large capacity rifle, if you think you will need more then 10 [or 5] rounds in a bolt rifle I don't know what you think you will be shooting.

The answer to using a 5 shot SKS or a 10 shot Enfield is to get a M1 Garand

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:18 am

Nick Adams wrote:I have an SKS "paratrooper" and have had more then a few in the past.
I have 5 various Enfields including a pretty nice original jungle carbine. Picked up a savage enfield while back that I cut the barrel back on thinking about making a scout rifle out of.
Wouldn't make much difference to me which one I used I think I would be well armed with either, availbility of ammo would be main factor for me. I have lots of .303 but not as much as 7.69 x 39 but am thinking about setting up to reload the .303

I think way to much importance is put on having to have a large capacity rifle, if you think you will need more then 10 [or 5] rounds in a bolt rifle I don't know what you think you will be shooting.

The answer to using a 5 shot SKS or a 10 shot Enfield is to get a M1 Garand
I'll take a Lee Enfield every day day of the week and twice on Sunday over an M1 Garand. Anything that isn't capable of being single loaded and is pretty low down on the list, it was a piss poor design choice to use en bloc clips, a European technology that was abandoned for the most part on Flanders Fields.
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Something's been sticking in my craw about 5 round SKS stripper clips but not prepared to speak about it.

Given the following method:

The process mandates putting a tape and/or brightly colored nail polish on the non-functional end. It would be too easy to try to insert it in the wrong way without something to identify it, something that would happen all too often under stress.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks for that video! I think I'll make a few of those 5 rounders for my SKS.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm

I don't have an SKS but I do have a 308 Ishapore enfield. It's very accurate and actually they hold 12 rounds of 308/7.62 nato compared to the ten rounds the 303 versions hold.You can tell the difference at a glance as the removable magazine has a different shape than the 303 versions. That being said when they made these in India at the Ishapore armory they didn't rebarrell them. They designed them with a new metallurgy process to handle the higher pressures. This means they are noticeably heavier. Just another note you need a special tool to take the bolt completely apart. I think the 303 enfield require the same tool.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Assuming I have a well stock amount of ammunition in either caliber (since .303 is nearly non existent in my area). And my actual limited experience with either platform... I'll just say what first pops in my head.

SKS for bugging in. Enfield for bugging out.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

independantGeorge

Post by independantGeorge » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:12 am

maybe not relevant, but in canada a semi auto center fire rifle mag limit is 5 but an exception is the garand where you are allowed 8. I would choose that one.
sent from my walther PPQ

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:44 pm

independantGeorge wrote:maybe not relevant, but in canada a semi auto center fire rifle mag limit is 5 but an exception is the garand where you are allowed 8. I would choose that one.
Technically speaking yes...However, see my post above. The limit is based on the magazine and what firearm and ammunition it was designed and manufactured for. Using pistol mags can get you up to 10 rds in a semi auto rifle - such as a 9mm carbine that uses pistol mags or in any rifle that accepts AR mags using LAR-15 mags or even 15 rds using Beowulf AR mags. You can also use AIA "Enfield Mags" that hold 10 rds in Norinco M14s.

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am

BIG BUMP!!

Any thoughts from the newer folk?

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:46 am

Where's my bazooka? Already got the tude :vmad:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “What Would You Do?”