Five-round semi or ten-round bolty?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Which would you rather carry into a plague of madness?

A ten-round Lee-Enfield with five-round stripper clips
60%
A five-round SKS with cut-down stripper clips
25%
A bazooka and a bad attitude
15%

Total votes: 85

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Five-round semi or ten-round bolty?

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Gods help me, I've started a thread in WWYD. :oops:

I'm not looking for "the" answer, I'm just looking for people's thoughts. I have no illusions of the dead rising/CHUDs rampaging/shooting-gallery-type disaster scenarios. But consider this. Where I live, bolt-actions have no magazine limitations, therefore a Lee-Enfield is legal. But semi-autos, in my instance an SKS, are limited to five-round magazines. SKS strippers hold ten rounds, but they can be (and are) cut into five-round strippers. Which would you rather take out the door with you if your life became a horror movie?

Here's a few qualifiers: don't say move, because that's stupid. If your answer involves unblocking magazines, don't post it here (or go to PMs). I realise that restrictions would die if society crumbled completely, but I don't want this thread gunked up with rules violations, and if you're wrong about how fargone things are you're in big legal trouble. Kind of a moot point anyway, since even carrying a legally-owned firearm around outside the house is a big no-no here. Don't suggest other firearms, because while ARs and semi-auto handguns can be owned here, they don't apply to my current situation, and they live under the same mag limits. The extended-mag 870 is hampered by reduced range and heavy/bulky ammunition. And don't suggest a .22LR, because that really only applies to a realistic situation :lol:

So, let's hear some thoughts. Dead rising from the grave, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. Do you choose a .303 with strippers, or a five-round SKS with cut-down strippers? My decision is already made, it's the Lee-Enfield, no question. Anyone disagree?

EDIT: If the question doesn't interest you, see if you can spot all the movie references in this post.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

Deschain
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead, Fido

Re: Five-round semi or ten-round bolty?

Post by Deschain » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Thought about one of thsoe fancy new AIA Enfields in .308? Just want to put that in the ring.

Deschain
Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.- Cort

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

De-Domesticating the Modern Male

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm

SKS.

If you -need- to pop off a couple rounds quickly, you can. If you need to shoot slow and deliberate you can. Strippers reload it decently quick enough.

You don't have the option to shoot fast with a bolty.

TafkanX
Favorite Zombie Movies: The early Romero flicks, the Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (not so sure about Weeks), Zombieland.

Post by TafkanX » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 pm

JamesCannon wrote:SKS.

If you -need- to pop off a couple rounds quickly, you can. If you need to shoot slow and deliberate you can. Strippers reload it decently quick enough.

You do with a SMLE rifle.

*edited to highlight text
Taf's EDC
No longer in California but still a Cali boy at heart.
ImageImage

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:28 pm

TafkanX wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:SKS.

You do with a SMLE rifle.

*edited to highlight text
Guess that depends on how well and how fast you can get back on target.

Still isn't the same as what you can do with a real semi-auto though.

TafkanX
Favorite Zombie Movies: The early Romero flicks, the Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later (not so sure about Weeks), Zombieland.

Post by TafkanX » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:50 pm

JamesCannon wrote:Guess that depends on how well and how fast you can get back on target.

Still isn't the same as what you can do with a real semi-auto though.
That is true, it won't be as fast as a true SA. That said, if found myself in need of a higher ROF than my SMLE provides I'm very likely in way over my head and would be looking to beat feet at that point. Of course, if that were an option I would probably have already taken it...
Taf's EDC
ImageImage

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:15 pm

What's the legality of Enfield conversions in Cannuck-land?
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:21 pm

darkaxel wrote:What's the legality of Enfield conversions in Cannuck-land?
Conversions? Like, to another caliber?

TafkanX

Post by TafkanX » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:22 pm

They don't need them. They can get the new AIA models in 7.62/.308 without jumping through all the hoops we (in the US) would have to.
Taf's EDC
ImageImage

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 pm

It takes longer to reload the SKS then to work the bolt on the Enfield.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Question: if you SKS strippers are cut down to five rounds, is the magazine also pinned to five rounds? Or could you just manually top off the magazine to ten rounds? If the latter, I'd go SKS, and just use two five-round strippers every time you reload. If the magazine itself is pinned, hmm...yeah, Enfield. Might as well have something in its intended configuration; I'd say you can be as fast on a per-minute basis with a 10-round Enfield as with a 5-round SKS, and you're getting more power, and not having something neutered.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 pm

Regular Guy wrote:It takes longer to reload the SKS then to work the bolt on the Enfield.
It takes longer to clean the Enfield than to unload the SKS.

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 pm

Jeriah wrote:Question: if you SKS strippers are cut down to five rounds, is the magazine also pinned to five rounds? Or could you just manually top off the magazine to ten rounds? If the latter, I'd go SKS, and just use two five-round strippers every time you reload. If the magazine itself is pinned, hmm...yeah, Enfield. Might as well have something in its intended configuration; I'd say you can be as fast on a per-minute basis with a 10-round Enfield as with a 5-round SKS, and you're getting more power, and not having something neutered.
The SKS mag must be pinned to 5 rounds. You can buy ten-round strippers; folks cut them in half because what use is it if your mag only holds five?

Jeriah and JamesCannon both make good points. TafkanX's point about avoiding trouble is also sound, and already part of my philosophy.

Bubba Enfield

Post by Bubba Enfield » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:It takes longer to reload the SKS then to work the bolt on the Enfield.
:lol:

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:37 pm

JamesCannon wrote:
True that. I'd rather have 10 on tap then 5. The Enfield is the fastest bolt gun and it uses a detachable mag. :P
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Bubba Enfield wrote:
darkaxel wrote:What's the legality of Enfield conversions in Cannuck-land?
Conversions? Like, to another caliber?
TafkanX wrote:They don't need them. They can get the new AIA models in 7.62/.308 without jumping through all the hoops we (in the US) would have to.
From what I gathered in your earlier posts, there are no mag capacity limits on the SMLE? It may be possible to get a conversion that allows you to use pre-loaded mags with the Enfield in 10-30 round mags.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Necrodamus

Post by Necrodamus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 pm

5rd SKS vs SMLE, I would take the SMLE every time.
I would suggest extra mags if you can get them.
Also for those people worried about rate of fire. Think about reloading an SKS every 5 rounds while you watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1yN-3n ... re=related
Last edited by Necrodamus on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:55 pm

Necrodamus wrote:5rd SKS vs SMLE, I would take the SMLE every time.
I would suggest extra mags if you can get them.
Also for those people worried about rate of fire. Think about reloading an SKS every 5 rounds while you watch this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m1yN-3n ... re=related
Fixed it for ya

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Craig67

Post by Craig67 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:15 am

Nothing wrong with the Enfield and since you already have one, its a good choice for you.

I don't have an Enfield, I shoot lefty and I have 2 SKS's ..... and plenty of ammo put away 8)

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:41 am

So, summary for OP: You chose wisely.

Cpt. MelonBuster

Post by Cpt. MelonBuster » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:44 am

Tell me more of these .308 enfields...the only thing keeping me from getting an enfield is ammo price/availability.

TafkanX

Post by TafkanX » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:01 am

They're made in Australia by a company called Australian International Arms and are completely new production models chambered in 7.62/.308 (the customer sales rep assured me that it would reliably take both rounds). Unfortunately they don't take stripper clips and lack bayonet lugs (both of which made me a very sad panda) but they're furnished in teak and are otherwise an excellent successor to the venerable SMLE rifle.

Unfortunately they are not currently being imported to the US. They are available in Canada from Marstar but there are hoops to jump through along with some hefty fees on top of already costing around a thousand bucks. Still, if I had the means I would be all over it.

Check 'em out at http://www.australianinternationalarms.com.au/.

Edited to add: Fun fact- the rifles in my sig below are AIA SMLE M10's.
Taf's EDC
ImageImage

mantis

Post by mantis » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:20 am

I'm treading a fine line here but the way I see it, in the even of a zombie uprising or other PAW event, there would be a plague of small brass rivets coming lose inside semi-auto magazines all over Canada...... :shock:
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Canadian Guy

Post by Canadian Guy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:43 am

SKS
Rugged, reliable, ammo is cheap and plentiful unlike .303 which you can find but is getting pricey. I also agree with mantis's prediction. I own a Lee Enfield Mk.4 No.1 (Long Branch made) and love it but still think the SKS may be the better choice.

Return to “What Would You Do?”