A goat walks onto your property...

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:12 pm

So, what would you do if a random goat walked onto your property? I ask, because one just did, in my back yard. It was scared, mostly because the dogs were barking at it from a few hundred feet away. It walked around a bit, and ran off for a minute, then came back. I don't know who owns it, and neither do the 2 closest neighbors. No collar (do they even wear collars?).

Also, how do you care for a goat? We have it inside a light enclosure for now so that the dogs don't get it, but I've never owned one, so I have no clue how to care for it.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Re: A goat walks onto your property...

Post by shrapnel » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Put up signs saying 'Found Goat- call xxx-xxxx'?
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:17 pm

shrimpwd wrote: Also, how do you care for a goat? We have it inside a light enclosure for now so that the dogs don't get it, but I've never owned one, so I have no clue how to care for it.
Purina Goat Chow?

A goat should be self sufficient as long as the it is not attacked by the dogs. Give it some water and let it graze.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:51 pm

Goats eat bushes, not grass unless starved to it.
Call the local feed store, the folks there will give you detailed instructions on care, and may even have an idea where your goat belongs.
If it's a girl, she may need to be milked - please don't wait too long to find information.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

KC44
Favorite Zombie Movies: none

Post by KC44 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:57 pm

I prefer my goat medium well and with a bit of barbecue sauce. :shock:

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm

and the bartender says....

but seriously, tie it up to any area you want cleared of brush and let it eat (while your waiting for the owner, of course). goats make awesome lawn mowers. put up a sign, if anyone cares they call or come looking. if not, you just got a new goat!

Bluito23

Post by Bluito23 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:39 pm

Post a sign in your area lost goat.

X days to claim the goat, or it will be sold to a West Indian Resturant for Curried Goat.

Mark

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Goats eat bushes, not grass unless starved to it.
Call the local feed store, the folks there will give you detailed instructions on care, and may even have an idea where your goat belongs.
If it's a girl, she may need to be milked - please don't wait too long to find information.
This. Also, post flyers around town in grocery stores and the like. Goats also eat hay, if you have any on hand.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:48 pm

raptor wrote:
shrimpwd wrote: Also, how do you care for a goat? We have it inside a light enclosure for now so that the dogs don't get it, but I've never owned one, so I have no clue how to care for it.
Purina Goat Chow?
Yep.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Vicarious_Lee
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Put away anything that can easily be destroyed and enjoy! God makes goats out of weird and LOL.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:05 pm

shrimpwd wrote:So, what would you do if a random goat walked onto your property?
It's coming right for us!! :lol:

If you put up goat found signs, it will most likely not be returned to the correct owner. Around here, people will pay good money for goats, and even $50 goats on craigslist don't last a day. I would contact the local animal shelter or vet and see if they have heard about anyone missing a goat. Some owners do put dog collars on them. My parents put collars and cow bells on a few so they know where to look for the herd. 8)

They really are good brush cutters in the meantime. If you have the acreage, then you shouldn't have to buy any hay.
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:07 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:God makes goats out of weird and LOL.
:lol:

QOTD.

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I am probably one of the few people that will answer this question from personal experience.

Last summer, our neighbor's goat (a big one) wandered onto our property after getting loose. It kept wandering around our yard and onto teh highway in front of our house, and we were worried it would get hit. We threw some lettuce in our yard to keep it off the road. Then I walked over to the neighbors to tell them. They weren't home. But another neighbor came over, threw a rope over it, and led it home.

But unlike you, we knew whose goat it was.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:24 pm

If I didn't know whose goat it was, I'd give it a new home in my freezer. If I was still in Texas and knew it was my neighbors and the goat was on my property, I'd call my neighbor and say "Hey, your goat is in my backyard...hang on a sec...<boom>...yup, got him. Hey remember when you shot my dog last year asshole?..."
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Turn it over to the cops like a lost dog or cat. The owner probable wants it back.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

brer

Post by brer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:57 am

A 50 pound bag of 12% creep feed, a bag will cost you about 6 bucks. Give it about three pounds daily along with whatever it can graze. This time of year, there is not much nutrition in the available forage.
A nation of sheep begats a government of wolves. -Edward R. Murrow

brer

Post by brer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:01 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:Put away anything that can easily be destroyed and enjoy! God makes goats out of weird and LOL.
Added to my previous post, Aint that the truth.

I had a billy once that had an intoxicated person keep annoying him while he was actually behaving himself. The billy cocked his waist a bit, hunched up and released a stream of urine across the guys chest. It took the guy a minute to figure out what the heck was happening. Ever smell billy goat urine when they are in full rut? Not pretty.

And as one of the previous posters mentioned milking it, make sure it is a nanny first!!!
A nation of sheep begats a government of wolves. -Edward R. Murrow

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 pm

Any update?
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

dick johnson
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later

Post by dick johnson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Honestly?

I'd eat it :D

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 pm

I like my goat like I like my pig, put it in the ground and roast it whole over a bed of coals. Mmm....
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:58 pm

"Kevin" is still hanging out on our property. We went and purchased some goat feed, and we're trying to find a nice place to keep him. He is a Billy (still a male). The old dog pen is about the right size for a single goat, but we need to get a slightly higher fence so that he stays in. We've been thinking about getting a few females later in the season, if "Kevin" isn't too much to handle.

We have just over 3 acres, more than 1/2 of which is pasture, so we definitely have enough land for him and a few others.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Goat's make great gifts to developing nations. I'd give you Haiti's number but I've gotten a busy signal for the past few days.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:07 pm

A buck goat isn't worth keeping unless you're really commited to it. They're smelly obnoxious and destructive. What breed is it, pygmy, angora, some sort of dairy goat?
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

PYRO31888
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evils, 28 series,

Post by PYRO31888 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:17 pm

You ever make sex with a goat? Heres your chance

"Some of the worst things imaginable are done with the best of intentions." Dr. Grant

Havaria Information Service-Alert Map

My BugOutBag

Return to “What Would You Do?”