Would you voluntarily take the H1N1 Vaccine?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Would you take the H1N1 Vaccine?

Yes!
34%
No!
37%
No, I would take the fine or the quarantine.
5%
No, I would fight or leave the country/state.
13%
Other / Undecided
11%

Total votes: 289

thesupremeking

Re: Would you voluntarily take the H1N1 Vaccine?

Post by thesupremeking » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:56 am

SweetTea wrote:
sireflaregun wrote:oh your a girl/woman
Still why is it then that German govenment officials are being offered an alternative version of the vaccine.

Several New York Nurses are protesting "forced vaccination or your fired".

the majority of Police forces and other government service personale in europe are saying NO to vaccination and i think in the states too.

P.s. i did read your links it seem that the author and publisher seem to be on a crusade in regards to their other papirs.
Sources?
thesupremeking wrote:lol kids these days.

you say "Why are you so convinced that nothing is going to happen other than saying that regular flu has killed more people so far?"
my answer, because that is the evidence thus far, and winter or "flu season" has already happened in the southern hemisphere.
Is it possible that the viral climate out there has changed in 6 months? Given how quickly viruses proliferate and mutate, I'ld say so. Is it possible that the viral climate in Australia and South Africa is different from the US? I would think it's not only possible, but probable.
you say that the medical community is "genuinely terrified about this pandemic"
I say, says who? CNN? lol, the "medical community" is not terrified, the doctors and professionals on CNN are, because its sensationalism.[/quote]
The CDC says that hospitalizations for flu are as high now as they usually are during the peak of regular flu season, indicating that when we get to this year's flu season we'll be swamped. They also say that hospitalizations and deaths are on the rise. Source: http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU/
Not direct enough? I read a lot of medical blogs from ER doctors and nurses, and they're either a) swamped with flu cases or b) it hasn't hit their community yet but they're bracing for impact. Source: http://allbleedingstops.blogspot.com/20 ... -club.html
You say " Why should I listen to you, rather than professionals who study public health and epidemiology for a living?"
I say, I said that you SHOULD get the vaccine if you desire, but that most of it is hype, and the facts show it is not as deadly as regular flu, which CLEARLY is 100% non negotiable truth.
That's clearly not true at all. For one, H1N1 is more likely to lead to acute respiratory distress syndrome, which often requires intubation and ventilation. It is also very dangerous for the young and pregnant women. Sources: http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... ehresmann/ http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2009/10/num ... 1-flu.html[/quote]

tell you what, I will bet you $10.00 that by the end of the year, more people died in the U.S. of regular Flu.
Put your money where your mouth is, you could buy a lot of facemasks and purell with that.

also I feel like an asshole already for betting money on people dying. I could spend the $10 towards counseling.

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:42 am

thesupremeking wrote: tell you what, I will bet you $10.00 that by the end of the year, more people died in the U.S. of regular Flu.
Put your money where your mouth is, you could buy a lot of facemasks and purell with that.

also I feel like an asshole already for betting money on people dying. I could spend the $10 towards counseling.
Mortality rate for seasonal flu is about 0.1% (source 1)
Mortality rate for swine flu is about 0.9% (source 2)

Maybe next time you could do some research instead of using "put your money where your mouth is" bluffing tactics. This isn't the old west, we can be more civilized about this.

Source 1: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no01/05-0979.htm#1
Source 2: http://bmartinmd.com/2009/08/h1n1-death ... ear-1.html
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

thesupremeking

Post by thesupremeking » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:28 pm

SweetTea wrote:
thesupremeking wrote: tell you what, I will bet you $10.00 that by the end of the year, more people died in the U.S. of regular Flu.

Mortality rate for seasonal flu is about 0.1% (source 1)
Mortality rate for swine flu is about 0.9% (source 2)

Maybe next time you could do some research instead of using "put your money where your mouth is" bluffing tactics. This isn't the old west, we can be more civilized about this.

Source 1: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol12no01/05-0979.htm#1
Source 2: http://bmartinmd.com/2009/08/h1n1-death ... ear-1.html

and mortality rate for rabies is 100%, but are you terrified of getting rabies? Whats your point? That when infected AND in a narrow age group it is deadlier? CONGRATS!!! YOU ARE RIGHT, but I agreed with that all along, you are arguing apples to turds.

I was talking about TOTAL numbers of deaths and have been all along.

the list of diseases that are airborne that have WAAAAAAAAY higher than 0.9% mortality rates are many.

There is a ton of factors that contribute to how "deadly" a disease is.
prevalence
its LD50
if it has vectors
mutation rate

and on and on. My point is that AGAIN, Swine Flu has a large heaping dose of hype surrounding it, but the facts again and again show that you are not at risk as much as they make you out to be.
The argument that it can "mutate to become deadlier" is idiotic as ANY virus can mutate and become more deadly. Just because it has this empty potential to be worse does not mean that it will become worse by ANY stretch.

you are a little bit like talking to a wall.
respond away with your internet sources from "bmartinmd" as legit as I'm sure that source is, but I'm done responding, you can head to the hills out of fear chicken little.

but i promise you, you and everyone you know will still be around without dying from Swine Flu, Vaccine or not.

sireflaregun

Post by sireflaregun » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Stab74 wrote:You know I don't post a lot but I've been lurking since 07 and I've noticed every now and then someone like sireflaregun pops up thinking this site is for conspiracy nuts, posts some crazy stuff, is shot down with lots of EVIDENCE and promptly disappears to the nether regions of abovetopsecret.com.

BTW I'm in the army and have no choice but to get the vacination next week. I tried telling the medics that I've seen I Am Legend and know how this will all go down but, uh, he just doesnt get it man!
What do you mean shot down, get a grip man,
and about disappearing, dude i have a job and other activitives in my life that need attending to, i dónt walk around with a laptop up my ass to be on this forum all the time,, try living in the real world.

Oh by the way soldier boy take the shot all you want, ops! there forcing you to, god how the army loves you...so much for you freedoms sir.

ps. iám not pushing my opinion just voicing it, freedom of speech and all that, :wink:

Scubastevie00
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by Scubastevie00 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:25 pm

I just had to catch up on all the crazies... This is just my placeholder. My stance is the same as the beginning of the thread. Also, good job guys/girls above me disproving people and presenting evidence.

On a side note got the seasonal flu last week.. Sooo much fun..

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Post by SweetTea » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm

thesupremeking wrote: you are a little bit like talking to a wall.
You're right, I'm clearly the dogmatic one here.
respond away with your internet sources from "bmartinmd" as legit as I'm sure that source is,
If you had read the link rather than assuming something about its legitimacy from the title of the link, you would have seen that the "bmartinmd" post linked to findings from the WHO, who are about as legit as it gets when it comes to infectious disease stats.
but I'm done responding, you can head to the hills out of fear chicken little.
So saying that your opinion is misinformed makes me fearful? Everything I've said on the matter is public record on this site, can you find any post I made at any time in any thread that indicates that your assertion that I plan on heading to the hills is anything more than a shallow strawman?*

*Full disclosure: I told ZombieGranny that "I fear your decision [not to get vaccinated] may have negative consequences" or something like that. I hope that any rational person can see that it was an admission that something bad may happen to a good person, rather than the "oh noes!!!!1!" that I'm being accused of.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:49 pm

sireflaregun wrote:Oh by the way soldier boy take the shot all you want, ops! there forcing you to, god how the army loves you...so much for you freedoms sir.
Well, the Army does kind of have a vested interest in its healthy, strapping young men and women not dying because of cytokine storms, or coming down with pneumonia, or just being out of commission for a week or more at a time.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

BethDeath

Post by BethDeath » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Well, I have a 4 yr old and a 9 year old. My 9 year olds school just called (after 9pm) , and I got to listen to a recorded message that her school has been approved to be a center for the h1n1 vaccine. They want to know how many to order so press 1 if you want your children to get it and press 2 if not. They should have it by next week. (not sure how, but anyway...)

I sat there for a good minute thinking, and my gut told me to press 2. Maybe it was because I'm tired, maybe because I'm a bit paranoid by nature, maybe because when I used to get my kids the regular flu shot they still got the flu...not sure. I just get nervous about things that get thrown on the market so quickly. :?

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 pm

Its too bad we couldnt just get ahold of the vaccine and a syringe, and apply as need be, but for 99.9% of the population, that would be an extremley stupid idea.

Anyway, at 18 I'm apparently in the age range that has the highest complication rate, and initally said I'd never get the vaccine, as I've never gotten any flu vaccine to date. I'm still kind of iffy on the whole idea, along with whether or not the vaccine is getting "rushed" without extensive enough testing, I'm not sure.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

Bubba Enfield
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days later, Dawn'78, The Horde

Post by Bubba Enfield » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Yes, probably this week. And the seasonal shot later, if Canada is still staggering them; if not I'll get both together. I've been getting the flu shot since I started as a medic, and I'll keep getting it. I've never yet gotten ill and attributed it to a vaccine. Ten years or so ago, when work told me I needed a Polio booster, I told my doctor that I was leery due to rumors of complications. He told me, "You either believe in vaccination or you don't. It's up to you; but tell anyone who lived through Polio that the vaccine has a chance of making you sick, and they'll roll up their sleeve anyway." My kid's doc says they both need the seasonal shot, and the youngest should get the H1N1, and that's what's gonna happen.

I see way too many sick folks to risk taking something home to my family.
Prioritize your health. Get out of debt. Grow food.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:02 pm

I've been taking the regular flu shot for 6 of the last 7 years. The year that I didn't, I got the flu twice. All the other years were flu free.

As for the H1N1 shot? I think there is a lot of hype here, and statistically the chances of getting it compared to other flu's are small. I'm probably going to skip it and focus on good hygene.

Though to answer the OP's question, my vote is Yes, I would take it as opposed to a fine/quarantine. Though if there was an outbreak that serious in my country, where they were actively quarantining people, I'd seriously consider taking my family to a less germy area... you know... before everyone turns into zombies.
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

benEzra
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil
I Am Legend (I know, I know, not a zombie movie, but still...)

Post by benEzra » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:16 pm

Well, our family is going to take it because my 10-year-old son is at extreme risk from any flu due to congenital heart disease and immune deficiency, so any small risk from the vaccination itself is small potatoes compared to the real risk from the actual disease (I've already had two officemates with H1N1 in their immediate families).

That's entirely separate from the question of whether I'd take vaccine X in a martial law scenario, though. That would depend on the relative risk and whether or not I had a choice (I'm more likely to take it if I'm allowed to study the issue and make up my own mind, a concept that small-minded bureaucrats with God complexes don't seem to understand).

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:30 pm

Wife got it last weekend. She's pregnant. I'll let you know if my baby girl is born with an extra leg or something.

We both work in healthcare (she's a nurse, I'm an administrator) and we've had more confirmed H1N1 than reg flu. No one has died or had serious effects. Seems pretty mild so far.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:00 am

Kabong30 wrote:No thanks, not until they can make it a little safer.
Safer than what? The Seasonal Flu Vaccine, which is precisely the same vaccination?

Here's a good article on the H1N1 vaccine that was written by one of the immunologists from the CDC:

http://blogs.webmd.com/focus-on-flu/200 ... cdc-flu-cb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Even though my opinion doesn't really matter, I'm not going to get the Swine Flu Vaccine.
I don't believe in many vaccines that the .gov tries to push on people.

Just my opinion though, if you want the vaccine get it.

Also, I have NEVER had a seasonal flu vaccine and have NEVER gotten the flu.. Fancy that.
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

FFRob
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Day of the Dead (1985), Shawn of the Dead, 28 days later

Post by FFRob » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:11 pm

I have no need for the shot nor would I let myself be injected with that crap. I'm do'n just fine the way I am :)

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by JojoZS » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:05 pm

I don't know yet.
I doubt I will, since I've never received a seasonal flu shot. I've had the flu maybe twice in the last 15 yrs.
My husband was getting the shot every year, because he got it at work, and got the flu about every other year.
He stopped taking it last year. Didn't get the flu last year, but has had it this year already, and I haven't.......oh geez, I may have just hexed myself :?
You got red on you.

coleslilwitch
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead
Shawn of the Dead

Post by coleslilwitch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Sorry, but I won't be getting this crap forced on me. You can do whatever you please with YOUR body, but you can stay the hell away from mine. Last I looked, this is AmeriCa and not AmeriKa and we have that freedom. Your rights only extend as far as they begin to infringe on mine. Forcing me to do something because YOU think it's right doesn't make it so. I'm sure all those people who listend to VIOXX wish they hadn't since it's now known to KILL people even though the powers that be assured everyone how safe it was. Yeah, that was a big ooppsss!!!

callista wrote:So, basically, you are saying that anyone over fifty or under three, anyone who tends to have severe flu, anyone on chemotherapy or immmunosuppressant drugs, anyone with an illness that compromises the immune system, should stay quarantined at home and have no contact with a living person who has not scrubbed and put on a gown and mask, right?

Or, y'know, we could just vaccinate the general public.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:45 pm

So, if there's a forced quarantine of known sick cases, what would you do?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

coleslilwitch
Shawn of the Dead

Post by coleslilwitch » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:50 pm

If you're asking me, I wouldn't have to do anything. The whole swine flu is hype. Watch out for the piggies and don't look at what's really happening in the world.

Anyhow, I am not sick with it, nor will I be. My family is healthy as well. If they want to force us to stay inside, ok. I have a LOT of movies to watch. If it's just confirmed cases, then again, no biggie. There have been maybe 2 cases in the entire COUNTY. Funny when you ask the real health professionals what you can find out and not the chicken little types.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Im glad your area isnt getting hit hard. My metro area is having their ERs overrun with flu cases, and most of them are confirmed H1N1. The public health professionals here are very concerned, as well. And when I got it, my primary care doctor told me not to come into his office with the flu due to the danger of infecting his other patients.

May I ask what county you live in? Im honestly surprised youve only had 2 confirmed cases county wide.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Post by JojoZS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:49 pm

crypto wrote:.

May I ask what county you live in? Im honestly surprised youve only had 2 confirmed cases county wide.
Maybe he meant "deaths" :?:
You got red on you.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:27 pm

I thought this might belong here...
-
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN COLD, SEASONAL FLU & H1N1 SYMPTOMS
http://www.village.sussex.wi.us/documen ... ETWEEN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

coleslilwitch
Shawn of the Dead

Post by coleslilwitch » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:51 am

You mean SHE. Looking at my profile, it's kinda obvious I'm not a HE.

Anyhow, no, I prefer not to give out my exact area. I live in rural PA. It just isn't here. Sorry to blow away all the hype some here seem to be pushing. It's nothing. There have been NO DEATHS at all from this over hyped flu at all in my entire region. NOT A SINGLE ONE.
JojoZS wrote:
crypto wrote:.

Maybe he meant "deaths" :?:

Return to “What Would You Do?”