VIC Down!

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: VIC Down!

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:24 am

TheGunslinger wrote:
+ one to getting out of the car.

Well, getting the able bodied out of the car, at any rate - those who are armed, out in positions. If it is more than just a flat, and requries significant work, then it might even be worth while digging a shell scrape/arranging a patrol.

I reckon the worst you would be getting is an attack of opportunity, rather than a planned ambush.

One strip to stop a convoy of at least three? These are some pretty unimpressively armed raiders!

If there is the space, I suggest you go into a vehicle laager - circle the wagons, pretty much literally. Put the small and the weak in the middle, after travelling forward a few hundred metres.

It really does depend on the terrain, though - if it is in a bend in the road/about to hit a hilly or concealed area, it might even be worthwhile swinging a 180 and going back down the road. That way you are going back into terrain that wasn't hostile as of a few minutes ago.

Additionally - For those of you familiar with SMEAC, this is why you have Actions On, yeah? No dicking about wondering what to do, it's in the Actions On. Action on Flat - Turn 180, travel 300 metres back down the road, laager the vehicle with the one with the flat facing the direction of travel or something.
^ What he said. Digger doctrine ftw. :D
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:09 pm

I just came across this youtube video about a double ied attack. Not the same as a spike strip, but I think the video tells you what to do in case of vehicle ambush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzEIX1Gg ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:45 pm

suntzu wrote:I just came across this youtube video about a double ied attack. Not the same as a spike strip, but I think the video tells you what to do in case of vehicle ambush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzEIX1Gg ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curse frequently and mill about in confusion?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

suntzu

Post by suntzu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:15 pm

Get out of the kill zone. I'm guessing by the sarcasm in the way he said it that is what you are supposed to do. That's why I posted it. Didn't look like that's what all of them did, because apparently the last car engaged an insurgent. What does the military train soldiers to do in this situation?

Oni
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake) , Day of the Dead. Day Breakers. Avatar. Blackhawk Down.

Post by Oni » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:45 am

SOP is to keep rolling, check everyone in your vehicle for injury while in motion. Push/Pull/Drag the vehicle thats been hit out of the killzone a good distance down the road. No exact distance but atleast 100 meters so your sure your out of the engagement area. Conduct medical or maintenance operations as neccessary.

What should you do? You should look the world in the face and spit in it's eye. Die with your finger on the trigger and a curse on your lips. Realize your damned but try anyways.

"Stack on me"

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Post by Hawk » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:36 pm

In reply to the OP without reading the 3 pages;

Back up for about 100 yards. Circle the wagons. When a tire goes flat, most of the time you can drive it on the sidewalls for a distance, protecting the rim, even if the tread is totally gone. I wouldn't want to patch a tire in the PAW and actually trust it. Once you get 100 yards back, make a triangle with the 3 rigs, putting the flat tire in the middle. 2 guys change the tire, move on to the service station to find a replacement spare.

It doesn't make sense to ambush by shooting or spiking a tire on the middle vehicle. If he had a gun, it'd be easier to shoot the driver of the first vehicle, or if there was only 1 person in the last vehicle, he'd take out that driver. The others would investigate, giving him time to plan his next move. I don't want to get too far into that though.

That's just the way I'm thinking of this situation.
I'd like to mention that my mother is, in fact, a saint. A very caring person, she was cursed with the gift of good looks, and then came the internet.

<19:15>[BeerandGun]: no guys, no glory

I helped warm manbath at ZCon '08!
I got new tan lines at ZCon '09
ZCon '010 was a humidor

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Yeah, my understading of the best way to run an ambush is to hit the lead vehicle, and when the convoy pauses, hit the rear. Then walk your fire up the convoy, and GTFOOD.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:56 pm

and Hawk's reply was pretty much the same as mine.

Well done Hawk. :)
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Post by Hawk » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:22 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:and Hawk's reply was pretty much the same as mine.

Well done Hawk. :)
Ha ha, I just went back and found your post, and you totally beat me to the punch.

Great minds think alike, right? Or is it simple minds....eh fuck it, we'll survive. :lol:

Edit: I can't believe we even both said "circle the wagons". :P
I'd like to mention that my mother is, in fact, a saint. A very caring person, she was cursed with the gift of good looks, and then came the internet.

<19:15>[BeerandGun]: no guys, no glory

I helped warm manbath at ZCon '08!
I got new tan lines at ZCon '09
ZCon '010 was a humidor

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:28 pm

So long as there is someone thinking the same way - I guess that means I'm not so damaged after all!
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:02 pm

If the tire failed at highway speed, full shred..... the rim is done anyways. If the vehicle can move, move it to a safe location until repairs can be made. You'd be surprised how often, and how fast, a vehicle can move with a bare rim.

If it leaked down, then you should have known for a while it was leaking, and chose your own location to stop.

If it was a sudden failure, won't move, and HAS to be repaired on the spot..... dump all the people into other vehicles, and leave the area post haste. Recon the hell out of the place, and if safe, then come back for the repair and recovery. This is why supplies are distributed, so that a single vehicle loss isn't crippling.

No matter what though, don't let somebody else initiate and control the engagement.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

Giacomo
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Dawn of the Dead, Day of the dead, and Shaun of the Dead

Post by Giacomo » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:38 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:So long as there is someone thinking the same way - I guess that means I'm not so damaged after all!
You do realize you're comparing yourself to a bunch of people who prepare for the coming zombocalypse, right?
EvilTOJ wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: I'm beginning to realize that you guys are all fucking nuts. :shock:
And a forum dedicated to preparing for a zombpocalypse wasn't your first clue we're all slightly mad? :lol:
PistolPete wrote:And you always wear a suit when you are granted audience with Kyle. He's generally naked, but everyone is too scared to bring it up.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:20 pm

That's a good point, well made! :lol:

Return to “What Would You Do?”