tooooo much ammo?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Mon May 12, 2008 10:08 pm

My idea of too much ammo: Requiring a convoy of at least 18 semi trucks with two trailers apiece to haul the entire collection around.

For me, too much is when it slows down my movement to the point where walking becomes burdensome.

I'm comfortable enough with what little I have in my BOB that it does not put any serious strain on my body. However, that little bit amounts to approx 150 rounds of .22.

Is that enough? Not no but hell no. Am I getting more? Absolutely. I'm shooting for at least 1000 in my BOB.

Is that too much? For bugging out, maybe. But then again, I plan on bugging out via wheeled transport (mah truck) and will hopefully not see the loss of said transport through the 6 hours of driving needed to reach my BOL.

If, on the other hand, I need to ditch the vehicle and continue on foot. I intend to pace myself and as necessary, ditch what I dont need as much of.

Ammo, unfortunately, is one of those things, as I've learned that even a brick of 550 .22 can be pretty damn heavy when combined with at least 3 days food, medical supplies, clothing, compass, map, knife(ves), flashlight, and other BOB essentials.

As to the question of "Is there ever too much?" Personally, it depends. Do I have too much of one caliber? Maybe. Then again, that depends on if said caliber is my main choice or if it is a backup. Do I have too much in one location? Again, depends. If it's all in my BOB, then yes, I would most likely say that there is such a thing as too much. If it's at my BOL, then no, there is no such thing as too much. Even if I don't shoot it, I can trade it and possibly recycle (I know, BLASPHEMY!) the different component parts for whatever.

Oh, and though DTOM does tend to get his pants in a bunch over a lot of things. He does have a point. Clearing the area of "zeds" is not the priority of this group. Our job is to survive, and to help other survive. What happens after that depends on who's leading the horde o' humanity afterwards.

Just my $.02
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

ista_hota

Post by ista_hota » Tue May 13, 2008 9:03 am

Erik wrote:I can't imagine any scenario in which you would expend ten thousand rounds of ammunition in an exchange with someone without taking one to the brainpan yourself. This is true whether those rounds were expended in one firefight or over many. There's a real possibility that in your very first firefight during a PAW or SHTF, you could get shot and killed before you finish emptying one mag. Real life isn't like anime or action movies.

That being said, I am still hoarding some ammunition. Some will be for defense and more will be for hunting.

-Erik
A definite +1.

I try to strike a reasonable balance, I keep a massive (15-20k) stock of .22LR, a fairly large supply of 00 Buck and then just fairly small amounts of ammunition for my other weapons.

The way I see it, (again, my personal opinion), .22LR and 12ga buck are the quintessential survival rounds - I can see keeping big stocks of 'battle rifle ammo' if you dwell around big cities are are quite likely to end up fighting large mobs of zombies/looters/political canvassers in a PAW situation but around my neck of the woods it just isn't necessary - sure we have people but it's not like LA where you have millions of people on short fuses with only 2 days of food supply in the case of isolation.

I keep so much .22LR because I have several weapons that'll fire it, it's light (I can carry a thousand rounds in one MOLLE pouch) and it's a potential trade commodity given that pretty much everyone in the country has access to a .22.

I have quite a lot of .223 Rem, .303 British and 9x19 laying around but to be honest that's mostly due to bulk buying for the sake of saving pennies - most of my weapons only have like 500 or so rounds sitting around, if that - there's probably no more than 25k rounds in my home and BOL including the .22LR... Considering my wife and I also bow hunt I think 25k is easily enough for our needs out here.

ista_hota

Post by ista_hota » Tue May 13, 2008 9:26 am

Actually I'm going to expand a little on my above reply;

I don't want people to think I'm saying "Stockpiling ammo is a dumb thing," because that's not the case. What I was trying to get at is that the question is a little more complicated than it seems. Different people have different needs.

Now, in an ideal world (let's say I win the lottery), I'd like to stock my BOL with 10k for each and every weapon I own - however, until I win said lottery I have to look at my needs and budget in terms of my personal situation;

Around here the winter is very long, very cold and very predictable.

Wild game is extremely plentiful, as are fish and edible flora.

Human population density is very low.

Most people outside of the largest towns around here possess 'outdoor' skills of their own, a large percentage are professional outdoorsmen of some kind, be they ranchers, outfitters, conservationists - whatever.

So in my particular situation the likelihood of having food riots, shortages, localized civil wars over resources etc is very low. In fact in a PAW situation I could probably give you a guarantee I could get from my home to my BOL without even SEEING more than 50 people, let alone having to fight anyone. What I can guarantee however is that winter will kill me and my family stone dead if not prepared, and you can't shoot winter, hehe... So I prefer to put more of my funds into for example buying my daughter the next size up in spare winter coat, or a new pair of snow shoes etc. than an extra box of ammunition. What I'm getting at is that the question 'is there such a thing as too much ammo' is very situational - someone who lives in East LA will need a LOT more ammo to consider themselves 'covered' than someone who lives in the back country of Montana.

I know a few guys who spend literally hundreds of dollars a month on ammunition, tacticool weapon gear etc and are always talking about 'when they have the money to buy a cabin' or whatever and I think... 'Hell, you could have the cabin bought and paid off by now if you'd stop preparing to invade Iran solo.'

Firedan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead 04, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend

Post by Firedan » Wed May 14, 2008 4:54 pm

"Too" "Much" "Ammo".................

:?

:?

I don't think I've ever seen those words ever put together in that configuration! :!: :?: :shock:

:wink:

8)
Regards,

Dan

streetpig1690

Post by streetpig1690 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:48 am

stay off the radar. Build a nice silencer for a few of your .22's and start thining the zombie hoard. The .22 is the ideal zombie weapon. You can carry tons of ammo and fire with little of no recoil for nice follow up shots to the head. This is of course if you are only fighting the zombies of old. The zombies in the remakes like the new D.O.T.D. scare the crap out of me.

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Sun May 18, 2008 11:42 am

streetpig1690 wrote:stay off the radar. Build a nice silencer for a few of your .22's and start thining the zombie hoard. The .22 is the ideal zombie weapon. You can carry tons of ammo and fire with little of no recoil for nice follow up shots to the head. This is of course if you are only fighting the zombies of old. The zombies in the remakes like the new D.O.T.D. scare the crap out of me.
You should post about that in Firearms. A good discussion about how effective the .22LR is against Zombies would be a refreshing topic.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

jptp0831

Re: tooooo much ammo?

Post by jptp0831 » Mon May 19, 2008 3:45 pm

After going trough more than 600 rounds in a single fire fight I have concluded you cannot have too much ammo. Ever.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 pm

jptp0831 wrote:After going trough more than 600 rounds in a single fire fight I have concluded you cannot have too much ammo. Ever.
8) Quoted for truth.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

bgnad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re:

Post by bgnad » Tue May 20, 2008 7:05 pm

I have about 800 rounds 30.06 and about 1200 7.62x39 and around 50 shotgun shells.

I can never keep enough pistol around, I have about 50 357 mag and about 70 .45

just never seem to be able to hang on to enough (it keeps getting shot off somehow...) :(

SSgtMobley wrote:I have something close to 500 rounds of ammo (minus how many I might have shot while with ZS D/FW a few months back). I only have enough ammo for a bug out and that can fit in my gear. More than that is really pointless unless I expect to go shooting regularly.
And lets not forget how wonderfully useful ammo can be;

Lost your matches and need to start a fire quick, open a shell, dump the power into your tinder, return the empty shell to the weapon and fire the primer into the pile of power. Poof :!: Instant fire!

Need some alloy, take it apart and you have some. :D

Just as handy as can be :lol:
====================================================================================
Brian "Bubba" Gnad
Zombie Squad Fleet Vehicle ZS-069

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." -Benjamin Franklin

John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series is now my favorite Zombie PAW Universe.

thechin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1968 Night of the living dead
1990 Night of the living dead
1978 Dawn of the Dead
2008 Dawn of the Dead
1985 Day of the Dead
Resident Evil
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Return of the Living dead
Shaun of the Dead

Post by thechin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:54 pm

I'll take as much as I can carry, then "bug out" you can always find more ammo. the real question would be what type of ammo would you carry. I have a USP .45ACP and an AK that shoots 7.62X39mm. The chances for me of finding this type of ammo is kinda slim unless I plan on hitting up gunshops or wal-mart (which isn't a good idea since they have more guns with ammo than I do). Your best bet would just to buy a sword :lol:
Because no honest man should be limited to ten rounds. Sorry Bill. I like your revolvers but I hope you rot in hell.-yossarian

if you dont learn google-fu around here your pants will catch fire. Im just sayin.-Blkhrt13

"Be not afraid of any man,
No matter what his size;
When danger threatens, call on me....
And I will equalize." ~ unknown

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 pm

jptp0831 wrote:After going trough more than 600 rounds in a single fire fight I have concluded you cannot have too much ammo. Ever.
Well.
I thought to find out how many rounds the average rifleman fires in the course of a 12 month tour of duty (maybe by averaging WWII, Vietnam and GWOT averages, or something) and that would be the answer to how many rounds I think I should keep on hand for all weapons. A related question to JP would have to be- was that out of a SAW or M-240 or was it from an AR? if it was out of an AR, was it auto/burst, or was it mostly semi-auto?
-A-

El Charro
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead.

Post by El Charro » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:23 pm

In Mexico ammo is a commodity.

A box(50) of .45 runs for about 700-800 pesos. That about 70-80 bucks depending on what part of the year at some points it's 1000 pesos. Same go's for 9mm.

I think last i heard ammo for a ak runs for 500 bucks, i think they said it will fill 5 magazines.

If this is way too much info PM and I'll change it to some britney spears lyrics for you enjoyment.
Tierra Y Libertad!
Mexicano Hastal La Madre yo orgulloso de ello estoy
El que quiera ser mi amigo mi mano le brindo yo
Pero si quieren problemas a sus ordenes estoy

Shadowsbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead.

Post by Shadowsbane » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Remember in the movie StarShip Troopers, when they were fighting the bugs at that one base and eventually the bugs just climbed over all the corpses and gained entry into the base? Yeah, drawing thousands upon thousands of zombies upon yourself is really dumb on your part, but great for me. May I suggest a loudener to asist in this endeavor? How about a couple of bird bombs to start things off right?

Too much ammo is just like too much fun, not really possible.
All dwarfs are by nature dutiful, serious, literate, obedient and thoughtful people whose only minor failing is a tendency, after one drink, to rush at enemies screaming "Arrrrrrgh!" and axing their legs off at the knee.
Terry Pratchett

http://www.lonelymountainleather.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Temporarily closed)

I am col o r Blind

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:20 pm

avenger, it was out of an M4. It was on burst and semi.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm

My Rack holds 12 mags and a bandoleer held six more. I reloaded several more mags. It is pretty easy to go through that much ammo when taking down a city.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

suntzu

Re:

Post by suntzu » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:36 pm

BeerandGuns wrote:
streetpig1690 wrote:stay off the radar. Build a nice silencer for a few of your .22's and start thining the zombie hoard. The .22 is the ideal zombie weapon. You can carry tons of ammo and fire with little of no recoil for nice follow up shots to the head. This is of course if you are only fighting the zombies of old. The zombies in the remakes like the new D.O.T.D. scare the crap out of me.
You should post about that in Firearms. A good discussion about how effective the .22LR is against Zombies would be a refreshing topic.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bgnad
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by bgnad » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm

I read a great line recently.

"There is not such thing as too much ammo. Only more than you can carry."

Sums up my view of the topic 8)
====================================================================================
Brian "Bubba" Gnad
Zombie Squad Fleet Vehicle ZS-069

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper." -Benjamin Franklin

John Ringo's "Black Tide Rising" series is now my favorite Zombie PAW Universe.

avenger
Location: Central Texas or, somewhere in the middle of nowhere...

Post by avenger » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:46 am

jptp0831 wrote:avenger, it was out of an M4. It was on burst and semi.
Well then... impressive...
Any idea how many rounds total you've burned over there, not counting any practice or training you have done?
-A-

jptp0831

Post by jptp0831 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:52 pm

avenger, a lot.
ZS Fleet ZS0017 & ZS0024
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:56 pm

phoenixmastm wrote:Oh, and though DTOM does tend to get his pants in a bunch over a lot of things, he does have a point.

I beg to differ. I DO tend to get agitated over a few things, that get discussed and re-discussed, to the point of overkill, about situations that haven't even happened, nor are even remotely likely to, in the next 150 years or so. I'm all for posing such a question even still, but when you get several responses, or even more than several, and you still don't accept the answers given but instead start to "lead" the responders to answer a certain way, then it gets old- fast.

Maybe I should just stay away from such clearly "no-win" topics posed about certain scenarios. That way I won't upset anyone for being all realistic and shit.

Oh yea phoenix, just FYI I tend to wear relaxed fit pants, as well as boxers underneath, so uh......not too many "bunched pants" around here. Keep it up, and you might just earn yourself a spot on my "foes" list, mister! :lol: :wink:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:41 pm

The definition of too much ammo for me is when my wife gets pissed and yells "Why do you need so many goddamn bullets?!?!". At about 7,000 rounds of various calibers right now and have not hit that limit.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:22 pm

There is no such thing as too much ammo. If you don't have ammo (purchasing or reloading), then your firearms become walking canes or table wts. "By it cheap, and stack it deep."
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

Sig_Ocelot

Post by Sig_Ocelot » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:07 pm

I have 4k rounds of the 75grn Wolf stocked up for a SHTF scenario. I won't be shooting sub MOA groups if my stress is up high, I decided to buy it cheap, and stack it deep. Of course, as a huge fan of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, I plan on sneaking around "them" far moar than shooting "them" to smithereens.
Rush2112 wrote: Somehow I see this phrase ending a lot of sentences in the future:

"...And that's how Sig lost his [eyesight/fingers]."

el Punisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: R esident evil series, dawn of the dead george romero series, shaun of the dead, and 28 weeks later If I am Legend counts thats on the list as well

Post by el Punisher » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:52 am

Never, if you have the right container and keep them indefinitely who says too much, they're a great investment, i suppose if you were unable to access any parts of your house due to ammo boxes that would be too much
... The winchester!
Yoda wrote: If Unbreakable Umbrella and WASP injection knife your main hand-to-hand weapon is, strong is the mall ninja within you

Return to “What Would You Do?”