tooooo much ammo?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

gelgoog

tooooo much ammo?

Post by gelgoog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:53 am

ok I know some of us have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. so the question here is. If your home is secure enough to bug in during the ZPAW, do you start using some of that ammo buildup that you couldnt possibly take with you if you needed to bug out, or do you sit quietely hoping to not attract more zombies.

is it more important that you take out as many buggers as you can in a hope of making some dent in the hordes, or staying low on the radar. this is considering you have a large stockpile that would never make it into a vehicle.
Last edited by gelgoog on Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Ammo is one of those issues to which there is no correct answer.

If you are in a TSHTF situation you can never have enough or too much ammo. If on the other there is never a TSHTF situation 10,000+ rounds per weapon does seem a bit wasteful of resources that could be used for other more productive purposes. There are also some people (fortunately few ZS'ers fall into this category) that believe to be prepared all you need is a weapon and a metric ton of ammo. This thought pattern is not useful.

This is really a personal choice. I fall into the category of people who prefer to keep ammo on hand in quantities that are not over the top. Having said that I have stockpiled more than usual due to my belief that ammo will do nothing but rise in cost. Since ammo does not spoil if stored properly I am hedging my long term cost.

The thing to remember is that a firearm without ammunition is a useless paperweight and a fragile club. It is pointless to buy a good quality weapon but then not have sufficient ammo to feed it.

As to the original question, I would say not being noticed (laying low) and not needing to shoot things is far more preferable to becoming noticed and then having to fight for your life. Even if you have overwhelming fire power why tempt fate?

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:11 pm

Lay low.
Your best shot at survival, in almost every scenario, is to not be seen or heard. Imagine a bomber flying across -insert random country-, on it's way toward a tide turning target, but to do that it must first cross a hundred or so enemy bases. If it went around blowing up the entire country side, with a maniacal glee only experienced by Gundown when he's eating some poor shit's soul (as fun as that may sound to some, not naming any names-ME) it would have the massed might of the entire enemy forces gunning after it, only in your case they would also be wanting to carve your brains out with a desert fork.

Edit for typo:
Last edited by Molon Labe on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:30 pm

well if everybody lays low then who is going to kill those souless beasts? killing 10,000 of them might do your city a great service. As I said before, if you are thinking about bugging out of your location, why leave leave 40,000 rounds there to waste?

now I agree that laying low against non-zombies is a good idea, but were not talking about those types of SHTF here.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:39 pm

What I'm trying to say is, don't take any risks that aren't needed. Zombies are supposedly very one track minded in their actions. If they become aware of your presence, they will undoubtly give chase. The more you shoot, the more you attract; the more you attract, the more you have to shoot.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

throwback

Post by throwback » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:41 pm

Extra ammo is not necessarily a waste. You can cache it for later use if you suspect there will be later opportunities to get back to it. If your bugout gets cut short for some reason, and you need to RTB, It would suck to have expended all but your carrying load.
Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:47 pm

Molon labe wrote:What I'm trying to say is, don't take any risks that aren't needed. Zombies are supposedly very one track minded in their actions. If they become aware of your presence, they will undoubtly give chase. The more you shoot, the more you attract; the more you attract, the more you have to shoot.
well thats kind of the idea here. If your going to be leaving your home, but have to leave a large amount of supplies particularily ammo, why not clear the area of them as far as the eye can see. even if you do attract more, at least your putting some of that ammo to good use. a zombie put down now is better then one put down later when that ammo is in less supply. You've got to figure that you can burn through a lot of ammo quite quickly, and that zeds will be streaming in at a walking pace. you could probably sit there burning through 20,000 rounds used wisely in a few days. 100,000 are not going to show up on your doorstep in an hour. with maybe a few hundred or more an hour, you could "safely" put a large dent in the undead hordes that might be on your ass later down the road.

now I understand laying low is a concern, but i'd rather deal with them when I had plenty of supplies then when im limited to only what my person /vehicle can hold.

Raydarkhorse

Post by Raydarkhorse » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:58 pm

I have a relatively small amount of ammo on hand, compared to some people here (then again compared to some here some armies only have a small amount) due to the fact that I spend most of my time on the road away from home. Since bugging in is not generally the best idea for me, and in most cases I will not be returning I don’t keep more than I can realistically carry. This means that my only realistic option is to lay low and move quietly.

BeerandGuns

Post by BeerandGuns » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:07 pm

Interesting to find because for some odd reason I was thinking about this the other day. Perhaps because I was stuck at the inlaws and bored silly. Zeds are in the area so get their attention and thin their numbers or just lay low and see if the threat passes. Answer for me ended up being since zombies don't exist, it doesn't matter what the ultimate decision would be.

Now raiders/looters would be different. I can imagine dead raiders or looters would probably drive off any future snoopers. Probably. Since they would be an armed threat to be shot in the first place, it would be lay low and let them pass.

As for ammo, I keep one 7.62 ammo can per caliber, one filed with target rounds and one filled with self defense rounds. If I stay in, it makes it easy to reload, grab handfuls ina rush, etc. If I have to bug out in a vehicle, they are easy to throw in the back. If it is on foot and I have time, I'll hide them only an extremely detailed search would find them while taking rounds for the weapons I am carrying.
You want to kill, get a gun. You want to impress other dweebs, carry a knife. Or nunchucks. - War Nerd

It real simple... we live back in here... dis is our home, and nobody don't fuck with us

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:28 pm

but just think about it this one, If only a handful of people around town with huge ammo stores just sit there and pick off zeds day and night, eventually its going to have quite an effect on the whole area. I mean if you have 40,000+ rounds chances are you have yourself a radio in which you can transmit around town what your doing so that other would join in on the fun. together you can turn a giant horde into small little groups that can be hunted down. or else you can just hide in your house and be apathetic while others get overrun.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:44 pm

im of the "better have and not need "camp if i need to bug out, il leave the ammo i cant take. same thing with my couch and collection of chuck taylor shoes.

if i count on bugging out and traveling light, and im forced to bug in im going to want that ammo.

on that note i have an ammo can from my top 3 calibers dedicated as the Bug out cans. the first things i grab. loaded mags and strippers. a few loose boxes. then in the actual stash i have cases and the less used ammos.
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

futacattac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by futacattac » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:19 am

personaly , store as much ammo as you can sensibly carry , if half the population turns to zombies , guess that gives you a fairly good chance on coming across the "other guys" stash .. :P :P .....if yer still alive and bitting...errr...kicking...lol
i love the smell of napalm in the morning...........it smells like ..........manbath.... :)

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:15 am

I can't imagine any scenario in which you would expend ten thousand rounds of ammunition in an exchange with someone without taking one to the brainpan yourself. This is true whether those rounds were expended in one firefight or over many. There's a real possibility that in your very first firefight during a PAW or SHTF, you could get shot and killed before you finish emptying one mag. Real life isn't like anime or action movies.

That being said, I am still hoarding some ammunition. Some will be for defense and more will be for hunting.

-Erik

Vampire

Post by Vampire » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 am

Erik wrote:I can't imagine any scenario in which you would expend ten thousand rounds of ammunition in an exchange with someone without taking one to the brainpan yourself. This is true whether those rounds were expended in one firefight or over many. There's a real possibility that in your very first firefight during a PAW or SHTF, you could get shot and killed before you finish emptying one mag. Real life isn't like anime or action movies.

That being said, I am still hoarding some ammunition. Some will be for defense and more will be for hunting.

-Erik
+1 on this, the reason the m16 was developed was that in WW2 most dead soldiers were recovered with a full supply of ammo, having not fired a single shot. This patern however didn't show in submachiners, having a gun that "encourages" them to waste more ammo. The same principal can also work the other way around, why not get into a lot of fights when you have plenty of ammo? Because every fight leaves you with a chance to be shot, an avarage person gets killed less than ones, but also gets to kill less than one person. So the truth is in the middle, you won't make it through enough fights to spend mountains of ammo, but you definately don't want to have so little ammo that you're desperately trying to conserve it. So you can stockpile, but don't let your own stockpiles get the better of you. More importantly: consider what use a bigger stockpile would be ones in a while and what else you could do with that money and space. Especially when planning on hunting or using (a common type of) ammunition as a currency a (slightly) larger stockpile might be preferable over anything else you could stock up.
Seanwins wrote:Zed = Dead stupid thing that wants to bite you a lot.
I hate it when I don't have time to think of a whitty exit line.
Sick sig?

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:30 am

There is no such thing as too much ammo. I would want to engage zeds, but smartly. Doing a Rambo from the roof of my house would only attract more. I would pick off isolated zeds, making short security patrols in my AO. I would not engage from my BOL, unless they were attempting to break in. So the my answer would be, limited engagment until I knew the worst was over and it is now time for clean up. 8)

WaD

Post by WaD » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am

I would (if i had a firearm and ammo) stuck up with as much ammo i could. but i dont think i would use it directly from my BoL. Instead i would follow the railway just behind my garden to one of the railway bridges nearby, from where i could shoot down at zombies/look out for other survivors.

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 am

I plan on hording ammo at my girlfriends place, as well as my own. That way, all I have to do is transport my weapons and save myself the extra 20 pounds of ammo between trips.
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:51 am

the question is directed at large ammo stashes during the ZPAW. yes there might be threat of getting shot at, but I would imagine if all your doing is picking off zeds with that ammo, that no one is going be sending bullets in your direction. so the question is, if you have a huge ammo stash, plenty enough to do a lot of good with, are you going to sit on it or are you going to actually make an impact.

at what point does just surviving do more harm then good.

lostangel

Post by lostangel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 pm

BeerandGuns wrote: Answer for me ended up being since zombies don't exist, it doesn't matter what the ultimate decision would be.
WTF? Zombies don't exist? Where have you been man? I fight them off every day. Oh..Wait..That is the tax man. Never mind...

It really all depends. I have all my ammo stored in the mags and the mags in ammo cans. If the dems try to ban 30 rd mags again, I will be a very rich man. I have 90 filled 30 rnd mags stored in fat 50 cal ammo cans. I then have close to 5000 rnds of .223 in battle packs that are also easily loaded in the BOV. I also have 10,000 rnds +- 22 l/r and 3-4000 each of 9mm and 45. All stored in ammo cans that are easy to load into the bov.

Now that I just bought a Ruger GP100 .357, I will have to start hoarding those as well. But ymmv.
Remember, all the rounds on earth won't do you any good if you can't hit what you are shooting at. Practice practice practice. 1 Shot 1 kill youngster.

futacattac
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by futacattac » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:22 pm

lostangel wrote:
BeerandGuns wrote: Answer for me ended up being since zombies don't exist, it doesn't matter what the ultimate decision would be.
WTF? Zombies don't exist? Where have you been man? I fight them off every day. Oh..Wait..That is the tax man. Never mind...

It really all depends. I have all my ammo stored in the mags and the mags in ammo cans. If the dems try to ban 30 rd mags again, I will be a very rich man. I have 90 filled 30 rnd mags stored in fat 50 cal ammo cans. I then have close to 5000 rnds of .223 in battle packs that are also easily loaded in the BOV. I also have 10,000 rnds +- 22 l/r and 3-4000 each of 9mm and 45. All stored in ammo cans that are easy to load into the bov.

Now that I just bought a Ruger GP100 .357, I will have to start hoarding those as well. But ymmv.
Remember, all the rounds on earth won't do you any good if you can't hit what you are shooting at. Practice practice practice. 1 Shot 1 kill youngster.
im more of a "spray , spray some more , wait till the barrel cools ,then hose them down til it catches on fire" of a shooter myself..... :)
i love the smell of napalm in the morning...........it smells like ..........manbath.... :)

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:46 pm

gelgoog:

Your thread headline is driving me nuts. Could you please add another "o" to the word "too"?

Thanks in advance,

dog
Mostly not here anymore.

Valekhai

Post by Valekhai » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:04 pm

dogbane wrote:gelgoog:

Your thread headline is driving me nuts. Could you please add another "o" to the word "too"?

Thanks in advance,

dog
To much ammo!
I'm guarding the hooooouuuuuse.

dogbane
Favorite Zombie Movies: the usual ones

Post by dogbane » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:11 pm

Valekhai wrote:
dogbane wrote:gelgoog:

Thanks in advance,

dog
To much ammo!
I'll drink to that!
Mostly not here anymore.

SSgtMobley

Post by SSgtMobley » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:21 pm

I have something close to 500 rounds of ammo (minus how many I might have shot while with ZS D/FW a few months back). I only have enough ammo for a bug out and that can fit in my gear. More than that is really pointless unless I expect to go shooting regularly.
"Give me a long enough lever, a fulcrum and a place to stand and I will move the world." - Archimedes

Return to “What Would You Do?”