Evaluate your home...

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bear_B

Evaluate your home...

Post by Bear_B » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:25 pm

Evaluate your house...

How secure is your house... would it make a good stronghold?

Are the windows close to the ground?

How tough are your external doors?

Do you have a gate/fence?

Do you have the stronger "storm glass" in your windows?

Do you have "burgler bars" to keep zombies out?

How many potential entrances, or exits?

Post pictures if you can... tell me how you would convert your home into a temporary strong hold until you can plan an escape, or move to a more secure location.

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:32 pm

Right now I have a few sheets of plywood in my living room than can be screwed up to the back and front doors. That could probably keep undead from getting in for a while, at least long enough to destroy the stairs. Right over my front door is a balcony so I can watch to see what's going on in case there is a chance to escape.

http://zombiesquad.theedge.net/phpbb2/v ... .php?t=122
Last edited by kyle on Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Tibus

Post by Tibus » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:33 pm

Well I sooooo screwed against zombies in my house. Maybe if they can't climb a fence I could board up the front windows with internal doors. But even then I am sure a fence won't hold forever.

Against zombies, I'm running for the hills.
Never knock on Death's door: ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!

JMalone

Post by JMalone » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:59 pm

As of right now, if I had some time to prepare (say, an hour or two), I could fortify my house enough to last for a few days (longer if the zombies do not notice me). There is a large wardrobe and some crates near the front door that could be toppled in front of it, rendering both the back rooms and the front door inaccessible (I live in a trailer, with a hallway next to the front door).

Then, going through the back door, I would get some of the construction supplies and cover up the 3 living room windows from the outside (using preferably bolts for this task). My dad's bedroom would be fortified in the same manner. Finally, I would kick away the stairs to the back door, and move the dryer in front of it to prevent the zombies from climbing in easily should the door be torn down.

Other than that, unless I really needed to remain within the house, I would split. Way too much fucking work on this one.

Zelker

Post by Zelker » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:48 pm

My house would be near to impossiable to defened against zombies. I have large windows, and lots of them. More then you'd think. A large house also brings problems in with the distance. We'd be easily seen and over run. Perhaphs if I had 20 well armed and trained people here then plenty of wood to put up over my windows, we could make it, but no, I'd be dead. I'm defenitly not staying around my home when the SHTF.
Six months into PAW

Man#1: 'So...I'm not getting any...Want to make out?'

Man #2: 'Dude! What the hell is with you? ...Yes.'

Vindex

Post by Vindex » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:10 pm

I'm in an apartment a few floors off the ground. My door is steel with a bolt, and I'd shove my big heavy file cabinet against in; nothing's coming in.

The decision to barricade in this manner is risky; are the zombies short lived (28 days later) or Romero style with 10 year lifespans? Maybe I could outlast them for a couple of months, or maybe they'd outlast my supplies and I'd face starvation.

Finding out if the zombies are 1. "living diseased" or 2. "undead" is my top priority in an outbreak. The answer determines whether I bug-in or bug-out.

shoktrooper

Post by shoktrooper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:03 am

I'd definitely have to bug out. The back doors are just glass, bay windows in the front. There would be too much work involved in developing a good defensive position.
Do not cry tears for me, I was not born to watch the world grow dim. Life is not measured in years but by the deeds of men.

Nightside_Eclipse

Post by Nightside_Eclipse » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:21 am

My house has bay windows.

Do I need to say more?

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:59 am

My house is very defendable, i just need 4 padlocks to close up the gates on the fences and some nice 2 by 4's to cover the front 3 windows, after those are screwed down im all set.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:04 am

2 entrances. Both with steel screen doors. Solid core wood.
Lower floor windows have steel burglar bars.
Additional 2nd floor exit.
Stairs narrow and defensible.
8ft concrete walls.
8ft steel gate.

Just have to get more supplies for food and water.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:58 pm

I saw a house today that looks like this guy is WAITING for the STHTF, please remind me to take a picture of it, he has cameras above his garage, 5 ft high windows and a steel cage around his entry way.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:34 pm

Gallagher wrote:I saw a house today that looks like this guy is WAITING for the STHTF, please remind me to take a picture of it, he has cameras above his garage, 5 ft high windows and a steel cage around his entry way.
Sounds like a man after my own heart. And it sounds like my next house.

I just bought mine... I would consider it "somewhat" defendable.

The windows are 4-5 feet high... solid back and front doors... privacy fence (standard kind), solid storm windows (and none of them are "bay" windows, or "picture" windows) but the house is not brick like I wanted... but after my divorce this is what I could afford to get and what my credit would allow me to get.

There was one other house that would have been SOME better in the same price range ... but it sold fast.

But my credit is much improved, and I am remarried to a like-minded PAW beliver... so my plan is to sell this home in 3 years... and find a solid, defendable, brick home, with a 5-6 foot brick fence around the property in the country.

squido

Post by squido » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:45 pm

Pretty good i'd say.

only open access is the front.

- it's on a terrace, so 10 foot walls on both sides of the garden, and at the end, with a garage type door leading to an ally, which is sealed off at both ends by a huge very secure gate. barbwire on the top of that. and we've got broken glass cemented into the top of our walls (might get them caught, probably wouldn't make a difference though... but i doubt they'd get up there in the first place).

- the front door is not THAT secure, it is a fairly decent door, although i would probably re-enforce it should the need arise.

- front windows on the ground floor could be a problem, however could be boarded up, or the door to that room could easily be boarded up as much as the front door.. though this probably wouldn't be necessary as they've got iron bars across them :)

- could smash out the stairs.. so even if they do get in the house, there is no way to get up stairs at all.

- possible escape routes... out back into alley, either end with secure gate.
could go out the front door (lol)
could go into the attic and move along the top of the terrace (quite long) to either end, and get into any of the other houses.

so there's a lot of areas we could move to, and secure fairly easily. there is little chance zombies would get in, and if they did, we're fairly ok.

major problem as far as i see it, is that we're in almost the centre of town, so the zombie population would be VERY high. As long as we had enough food and water, i think there's a high probability that we could last it out.. i've gone over it again and again in my head, and can't see a way they could possibly get in really, the only way i'd get fucked in my own house is if i was taken by surprise (i.e. i answered the door.. haha..) .

yeah i live in a fairly rough neighbourhood :x

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:22 pm

Would anyone mind if we started posting pics?

HeresToLife88

Post by HeresToLife88 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:29 pm

my house would make a horrible hold out area. when zombies come i plan on grabing my BOB (still in the process of being made) and getting out to my safe haven as fast as possible, id take as much supply wise from my house as possible first but forget holding up there, id have a new home.

GhostTiger

Post by GhostTiger » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:41 pm

We're screwed, ground floor apt with a sliding glass door, no physical way of barricading it. We don't have any furniture big enough to block it off. I'll be the zombie who's drinking coffee :mrgreen:

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Gallagher wrote:Would anyone mind if we started posting pics?
I think it would be a good idea. It would make it easier for people to get what we are talking about.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

WALZEY

Post by WALZEY » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:17 am

Concill houses are really strong(i live in one) They have double glanzing windows with locks.large gates in the front and back gardens(desighend so you can here someone opening and closing them). Sterdy wooden doors witch can take a beating(it took a while for the police to get in I can tell you guys that much). loft about 10ft of the floor grat for hiding. so all in all my house gets 10/10

TOGLE

Post by TOGLE » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:51 pm

Mine's a 2nd floor aprt. with narrow stairs and a heavy door. Entrance has a 4ft hall at a 90 degree angle (eaisily barricaded). Small balcony with a good vantage point of the whole property. Also in the very back of a hoss of a apartment complex that's set up in a "circle the waggons" style architecture. Only real soft point are the large windows in the bedrooms, but they would be easily blocked and becase of a steep angle are about 25 feet from the ground.

Dose anyone have any suggestions for renters that I may not have thought of for pre-SHTF prep? After the SHTF, damage deposit be damned, But any tricks or suggestions that would not give the landlady a stroke?
"Uchi No Kaisha"

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:40 pm

This is why i feel my house is secyre, we have to padlock 4 gates, board up 3 windows, a door and we're set. Those fences are about 6'8 or 7 feet up. I'm thinking a layer of 2 by 4's going up the windows would be impossible for zombies to peel off when they're screwed down covering the whole window pane. And once the front is secure, the rest of the house is fine, we basically live regularly in every other fascit of life.

multipass

Post by multipass » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:31 am

Alrite, now me and my bro always think of how we could barricade the house, but never intended for long time stay, maybe a week or two until we move out to our planned relocation area.

My house is part of a terrace, end house, and is quite old. To my knowledge it was made in the victorian era(1800s) but from what we got in the house we could barricade it quite well.

We got a security gate in the alley that is usless since some mutha's mashed up the locking part of it but we could slam some stuff down there to barricade it a bit.

The garden is surrounded by roughly 5-6 foot wall on one side, and a fence into the next garden along, about 5 foot. There is a large shed at the end of the garden where my dad has loads of wood and tools so we could use that to barricade doors windows etc.

Bay window in the lounge, quite large, double glazed. Plan is to use internal doors to fix over them and then reinforce them even more with wood. That would be the first part to get done since it's inherant security risk to safety.

The front door is sturdy and made of wood, small windows dot it but wood fixed over it and we are set, to reinforce it even more i would put desks and such in the small corridor between the front door and the internal door. Now the internal door is not that secure, wood frame but not solid with larger windows down it but they are mainly decorative. If the corridor is blocked we haven't got to worry abvout that.

The back room has a large glass pation door, sliding version, over 6 foot and very bad to reinforce. Luckily there is one hell of a cabinate next to it that could be put in place infront of the door and reinforced to stop anything getting through. Possible pile up the beds to act as dead weight in front of it. Rear kitchen door and window would be sealed with wood and internal doors.

There is a large window on the stairwell leading upstairs but it at least 8 foot off the ground, i would place a door on the bottom of it but not really think of it that much since i don't see it too much of a security risk from zombies unlike the front bay window.

The upstairs front bedroom has bay windows and we would cover them with wood and cloth just to block out a view inside, and to stop light getting out and drawing attention to our builing. Though there will be gaps in the wood for us to look out of and survey the local area.

Me and who ever is with me would occupy the top floor and if we have to bug out, then the plan is to exit through the back bedroom window, into the garden and then out through the back alleys to a meet up point to get a vehicle.

I will post pictures of my family home as soon as possible. Overall rating i would say 8/10 since i would never rate something completely secure. You can tell that i think about this a lot can't you?

damaja

Post by damaja » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:53 am

I live on the top floor of a high rise. The building is surrounded by gates and fences, except for the front. Which you must go up a steep set of stairs to get to. Once the front would be blocked up, it would be very difficult to get in. And blocking the stairs, and making sure the lifts are all ok, you'd have 24 floors of safety. Other than the fact that it is in central london, it is an excellent defensive position. There is also security cameras, and security beams which alarm when they are crossed, so anything that manages to enter would be dealt with easily.

If an outbreak occured in London, I'd stay right here, probably for weeks. Then decide if it was safe (or worth it) to head out of the city.

chevelle

Post by chevelle » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:06 pm

My flat wouldn't last more than 2 days. Big window, weak doors, and a glass door on my deck. I do have a basement, but the only lock on the door is on the outside. I guess i could lock up any zombies in there. (then fuck 'em up when they bust through) Otherwise, zombies could quickly break in. And the best gun we have is 450 feet per second gas powered BB gun. I'm screwed. But i could escape in my dad's 4468 pound Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 pm

Evaluate your house...
How secure is your house... would it make a good stronghold?

It's a mobile with a wooden covered balcony attached to it. The good news is that I built the balcony. It's strong enough.

Are the windows close to the ground?

At closest, they're about three or four feet up. Two of the living room windows are now only accesible by the balcony.

How tough are your external doors?

Very, as I put gate latches on the inside as well as the regular locks.

Do you have a gate/fence?

No. My neighbours all do, though.

Do you have the stronger "storm glass" in your windows?

No, but we're looking into doubling them up against winter cold.

Do you have "burgler bars" to keep zombies out?

That's a fire hazard, isn't it?

How many potential entrances, or exits?

Seven.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Return to “What Would You Do?”