The shit will hit the fan in your lifetimes. Learn to deal.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Matias

The shit will hit the fan in your lifetimes. Learn to deal.

Post by Matias » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:27 pm

I myself sleep outside in my back yard one day a week, on that day having an MRE or nothing at all. I haven't watched television in a month, and I don't even miss it.
So what do you guys do to embrace the fact that when SHTF that most luxuries will be kaput?
Steel yourselves.
Resident tinkerer/inventor

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:16 pm

Well, smart-guy, I don't watch TV, and I haven't on a regular basis in years. As for other luxuries, this computer is about it. I've been running a couple of miles every other day for the past month and a half or so. I also quit smoking and changed my diet to less processed crap and started eating more natural foods along with vitamin suplements. My stores of canned goods have grown to more than I can carry and my bottled water is ready.

My library of wilderness guides grows with each passing week and my general knowladge grows with it. The gear I shop for will need to be carried by my team-mates when the SHTF. By the way, how's your recruiting going?

My gear is packed and ready for extraction, we can compare notes at the gathering of member in the spring...
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:22 pm

Harsh much, Slings? :)
I done a bunch o shit. Stopped drinking/smoking/whoring. OK, I never whored, but you get the idea. Um, I work out more. Bought a bunch of crap. Does losing sleep because I'm up all night on the net count? Uh, I got a boat... Planning on going back to college so I can earn more money to get prepped with, and maybe afford a sweet suburban pimp palace for me and my young homie Jesse. His mama can stay there too.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:59 pm

Well, since the shit will eventually hit the fan, I'm going to prepare for it by indulging myself in every possibly luxury that I can now.
I think this week I'll eat sushi off a stripper.

:)

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:04 am

the_klenzer wrote:Well, since the shit will eventually hit the fan, I'm going to prepare for it by indulging myself in every possibly luxury that I can now.
I think this week I'll eat sushi off a stripper.

:)
An Asian one?

Andrew Sad

Post by Andrew Sad » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:10 am

No probably the one he just killed. :D

j/k

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:12 am

The shit will hit the fan in my lifetime. Learn to deal.

Sorry man, but you've asked and answered your own question here. I don't see the point of this thread. Unless it'a about Asian strippers.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

Matias

Post by Matias » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:57 am

I'm asking what you guys do to make yourself more accustomed to a life without modern convenience. That's the point, to the previous poster.[/url]
Steel yourselves.

Joe Ghoul

Post by Joe Ghoul » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:19 am

I, and I think a lot of others, are steadily growing in our knowledge and preperation. I don't get to get out and 'rough it' as much as I'd like to. Luckily, I did nothing but camp for about 8 years of my life, so I have some experience. My consolation is that the job that keeps me so busy also allows me to afford to purchase what I'll need in the future.

As far as the SHTF? Pretty much every culture and time has expected the shit to hit. And, a lot of them did have it hit, in one way or another. I think that SOMETHING cataclysmic will occur in the next 5 or 10 years. I'll prepare myself the best I can.

I don't watch a lot of TV. I don't even have cable, since its a waste of money. I listen to the radio and surf the net when I have time.
As far as your original post, I'd say most of the main members of this forum are pretty much getting as prepared as they currently can. And, enjoying the hell out of it. There are quite a few 'fair weather survivalists' here, most of whom only post a few times and then move on.

I guess we'll see at the Great Zombie Preparedness Retreat.
Strap on your weapons and reinforce your means of travel.

C'est la (un)vie!

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:37 am

Joe Ghoul wrote:I guess we'll see at the Great Zombie Preparedness Retreat.
:D
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Gundown
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Grumpy Old Men

Post by Gundown » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:06 am

Once a year I off one of my family members just to prepare myself. I'm up to second and third cousins.

To tell the truth I'm a newb to this whole survival thing. I've always kind of thought when the end comes there's nothing much I can do about it. But if the end wears the face of the undead I'm damn well gonna’ make a mess before I go.

So I'm quitting smoking, I don't drink much so I can pretty much abandon that. And I'm going to pay more attention to my surroundings and current events. And I'm going to get into shape and build my BOB.

Oh, and next month (Savings permitting) I'm going to start taking pilot classes.

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:11 am

I don't belive that the shit is going to hit the fan. I honestly believe that the doomsayers are only getting louder because EVERYTHING is getting louder nowadays. There have always been doomsayers. Always.

I am into this whole thing because i think that it is a good idea to be prepared. The way i look at it i don't want to be surprised if something bad happens.

A week long power grid failure is hardly cataclysmic. Extreme weather resulting in an ice storm that knocks out my power and heat for 2 weeks is nasty, but it's not the end of the world.

I want to be prepared for the bad times, not the end times.

There's nothing saying that another great depresion won't come out way at some point... it might be useful to know how to be a little self reliant there.

If a nuclear war happens, and I happen to survive it's going to be a shitty world to live in. I'll deal with that when it comes. Same with the undead.
Shit happens and i know it. If I can survive, I will use what i have learned and go with it. I will keep on doing what it is I do, but i'm not going to worry and hinge my enjoyment of life on armageddon.

Think of it this way... if the world goes to shit completely, be as ready as you feel you need to be, don't count on it going there.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

will
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by will » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:22 am

ah yes but if you enjoy the preperation....
Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:16 am

Exactly.

Not only am I preparing for the hypothetical outbreak which will occur in my lifetime, I am also gaining knowledge of several topics and sharpening up on everything I already know.

Has it occurred to anyone else that we post on everything in the universe? Plus gathering supplies and getting ready is an engaging process which I enjoy.

The best part is this: If you're ready for zombies, you're ready for anything. Period.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

Matias

Post by Matias » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:39 pm

You're right. I mean, you're prepared for a chemical problem/radiation problem, even.
Steel yourselves.

-Jason-
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by -Jason- » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:52 pm

Valarius wrote:The shit will hit the fan in my lifetime. Learn to deal.

Sorry man, but you've asked and answered your own question here. I don't see the point of this thread. Unless it'a about Asian strippers.

All in favor say I.

I

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:34 pm

SlingsVaqueros wrote:Well, smart-guy, I don't watch TV, and I haven't on a regular basis in years. As for other luxuries, this computer is about it. I've been running a couple of miles every other day for the past month and a half or so. I also quit smoking and changed my diet to less processed crap and started eating more natural foods along with vitamin suplements. My stores of canned goods have grown to more than I can carry and my bottled water is ready.

My library of wilderness guides grows with each passing week and my general knowladge grows with it. The gear I shop for will need to be carried by my team-mates when the SHTF. By the way, how's your recruiting going?

My gear is packed and ready for extraction, we can compare notes at the gathering of member in the spring...
Wow, that reall does come off pretty harsh...

Sorry about that, I thought it was comming out a bit sarcastic, but not mean-spirited. Anyway, I'm sorry it came out that way. I hate those little emoticons because of their overuse and I guess the sarcasim comes out wrong in the typing. Consider the "wise-ass" as me for typing it.
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

mechgogo

Gettin prepped

Post by mechgogo » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:27 pm

Basically, Ive always taken moderately good care of myself. U dont work out as much as I did before I got the X-box but I still try to do 70 push-ups before breakfast every other day and my job keeps me moving on my feet a lot. Also I, prepping a BOB as time and money permit. Latest addition? The coveted Gerber Combo Axe. The short handle makes it poorly balanced in my opinion but the companion knife is near perfectly weighted and wicked sharp. I think the two big mods I would have made would be to lengthen the handle by half again and include some sort of sharpen-with-each-draw arrangement for the knife. But I suppose both would have bumped the price up some.

I think the best, smartest thing any of us can do is what we are all already doing. We get what we can as we can to prepare for the worst and while we're doing so, we pray like mad we never ever EVER need any of it. Rember folks, it's like Christian Slater said in True Romance -and yeah, I quote this line a LOT - "Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."
Beers!
Mech
Of course, there's nothing in the rules that says I can't kick you in the fork so hard you suddenly go deaf." Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment.

ProZombieHunter

Post by ProZombieHunter » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:12 am

I need to learn more about this Combo Axe.

I've got the Camp Axe, she serves me well.
If you drop a zombie, does that count as a kill?

...Think about it.

Hunter for Hire

Re: Gettin prepped

Post by Hunter for Hire » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm

mechgogo wrote: we pray like mad we never ever EVER need any of it.
....speak for yourself
Hunter for hire with no plans to retire

"Stop abortion! Fetal Zombies are Tiny and Hard to Kill!" <---noncyr (one of the funniest things i ever read)

mechgogo

SHTF

Post by mechgogo » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:28 pm

Hunter, no offense, but I really gotta question the sanity of someone who doesnt hope that they never need any of the preparations they've made. If you do need them that means there's a good bet that your life or the lives of people you love are in serious jeopardy. Yeah, ours is a soft and spoiled society with way too much sense of entitlement. But you know what? I can live with my kids growing up in that soceity. It just means that Ive gotta work a bit harder than Id already planned to on teaching them how to be strong and self sufficient and not expecting a free ride in life. Which is a damn sight better than having them grow up with a better than current chance of premature death by disease, famine or violence. Life aint a video game pal. If you're that desperate for action, go bungee jumping or join the SEALs. But dont go seriously hoping the balloon goes up just so you can live some post-apocalyptic fantasy. That shits a lot less entertaining in real life than it is on TV
Beers!
Mech
Of course, there's nothing in the rules that says I can't kick you in the fork so hard you suddenly go deaf." Terry Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment.

Quasar665

Post by Quasar665 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:57 am

Now now... I think you unfairly jumped the gun on Hunter on this one... I interpreted his hope for needing the skills gathered to be much like mine. While yes, in most situations it would be unfavorable to live in a society where those skills are mandatory... one must remember the version of SHTF that some are preparing for... I would love the opportunity to kack some zombie fleshbags...

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:19 am

dunno... i like being able to troll these neat zombie squad forums with my spare time rather than burning my computer for heat a few hours before freezing to death... guess i'm just too picky... come on zombies!!! woot!

nope... not doing it for me...

I like culture, recreation, really good food and wine, music, the ability to go for a drive for fun, hanging with friends, being able to drink water without boiling it and tainting it with iodine, and a whole lot of other modern luxuries...
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

mechgogo

SHTF

Post by mechgogo » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:15 am

Dont get me wrong here. Im not saying that hunter shouldnt seek out life or death situations if thats what turns him on. What I am saying is that if a person genuinely thinks it would be fun to see society collapse to the point that things like where the next meal is coming from and am I gonna get munched by raiders become particularly iffy, then yeah, I gotta question their sanity. Ive been in a few life or death situations where other people, if they werent actually trying to kill me were doing a mighty convincing bit of acting. For my part, that stuff is a lot more fun to experience at a table surrounded by friends, drinks than it is out in the weeds or out on the street surrounded by serious doubts as to whether or not I'm gonna make it through the next few minutes. But hey, if Hunter wants to go and try his hand at survival, more power to him. There's plenty of places where he can go test himself. Me, Im gonna be here with my warm clothes, safe bed and easy access to lots of food because you know what? If the shit ever does hit the fan, the single most pressing issue on everyones mind is going to be how to acquire those things and keep them for as long as humanly possible.
Cheers!
mech

Return to “What Would You Do?”