You Have $900M to prepare with...

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: You Have $900M to prepare with...

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:10 pm

These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:23 pm
Why a project bug out vehicle? You’ve already chosen a pretty remote location. If you do big out, why not just have a skilled off road garage built you a couple, before you actually need them, then start on your project vehicles
I've had a look at the commerical expedition vehicles. and I don't like the motorhome setup. In addition, building it yourself gives you the knowledge to fix it on the side of the road, something not many people think of.
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:44 pm

taipan821 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 pm
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:23 pm
Why a project bug out vehicle? You’ve already chosen a pretty remote location. If you do big out, why not just have a skilled off road garage built you a couple, before you actually need them, then start on your project vehicles
I've had a look at the commerical expedition vehicles. and I don't like the motorhome setup. In addition, building it yourself gives you the knowledge to fix it on the side of the road, something not many people think of.
These are billed as an alternative: Sportsmobile

I wish Ford still built the E series.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 pm

I find a small, renatively isolated but diverse and resourceful community in need of a sugar daddy. I would spend money make it more resilient and independent. Build up the local economy and skill set through prudent investment of the capital and call that mt BOL.

If TEOTWAWKI never happened the lives of the people in community would benefit and if the end happened I would have a good BOL.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm

raptor wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 pm
I find a small, renatively isolated but diverse and resourceful community in need of a sugar daddy. I would spend money make it more resilient and independent. Build up the local economy and skill set through prudent investment of the capital and call that mt BOL.

If TEOTWAWKI never happened the lives of the people in community would benefit and if the end happened I would have a good BOL.
Will you take on the burden of the local chief's nubile young teenage daughter as a 2nd or 3rd wife? That would cement your relationship with community.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:36 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm
raptor wrote:

Will you take on the burden of the local chief's nubile young teenage daughter as a 2nd or 3rd wife? That would cement your relationship with community.
Definitely worth looking into.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Yep, I had seen that video on Hoovie's Garage YouTube channel and I was convinced.

moab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 am
Finish remodeling the kitchen.
Pay off credit cards.
Get ham radio license.
Flight School.
Purchase several airplanes.
Buy six large, but modest looking and defendable homes in strategic locations around the United States. Stock each with long term storage food, short wave radio, firearms, ammunition, a Toyota Land Cruiser Series 60 and a Mercedes Benz 240D.
Buy estancia in Santa Fe Argentina. Stock similarly.
Buy farm and vineyard in Wanaka New Zealand (5 million buys citizenship) Stock similarly.
Buy 10 million in jewelry grade diamonds and $10 million of gold ingots in 1/2 ounce increments.
I knew the Mercedes Benz 240D could run on oil. But...I didn't know all this:

"Today, I'm covering a pet peeve of mine that involves one of my favorite TV shows: "The Walking Dead." If you don't know it, the setting for the show is the zombie apocalypse. It's been years since any kind of industrial infrastructure was functioning, including fuel refineries to make gasoline. Despite all of this, the characters are still driving around in gasoline-powered cars. This is especially puzzling, since untreated gasoline has a shelf life of up to a year -- at most!

This had me pondering what car I would want to ride out the apocalypse, and my answer probably surprises you. Let me describe why the Mercedes 240D is the ideal choice. (Edited for Brevity)
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm
Question: How are big-time lottery winners actually paid?
As mentioned before, some states require a ceremony for one of those giant check presentations. So when you present your ticket and ID, tell them that you go by your middle name, and everyone calls you Willy, not William, that is both legal and people will be thrown off scent.

Also hire a top Hollywood makeup artist to totally transform you like Tilda Swinton did for Suspira.

Yep, that is her in all those photos. So when you walk on stage looking like an elderly red haired man or an asian mamasan, people will say, it must be a some other Jason Peterson or Sally Lee
Tracey Ullman both as both British PM Theresa May and Minister for Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Michael Gove.

I don't know where it says you have to look like you for the ceremony, just for the verification at the lottery office.

As far as the actual transfer of funds, it can be done as a lump sum or as an annuity usually across 20 years.

You don't want to hire a lawyer, you want a complete law firm. You need to create trusts for any people you care about, but most importantly, you need to create a non-profit foundation to handle all those requests and sob stories, paying the salaries of 10 or 20 for a couple of years until the world forgets about you (how many lottery winners do you actually remember without Google) is money well spent.

People also forget that you don't have to have claimed the lottery to start spending that money. Once your law firm has established that you have the winning ticket, they can easily arrange a $20 million line of credit.

One last thing. PRIVATE BANKING. Yes, that is a thing. Even if you are low key or claim it anonymously, having $50 million direct deposit to your credit union every year will set tongues wagging. Private banking is just that private, for very high net worth clients who want to be discrete. Have your lawyer arrange a meeting with Brown Shipley in London or Julius Baer in Zurich.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:05 pm

1. Pay all taxes
2. Maintain skeleton accounts in US.
3. Everything else goes off-shore.
4. Citizenship thru investments.
5. sugar babies.

Got it!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:13 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm
raptor wrote:

The one existing wife is plenty (too many?) and having raised teenagers, having one even as a companion much less a wife is a bit trying.
I was thinking more along the model set by Ellison and Lanai.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:00 am

That guy has some real bread. His tax bill is likely well North of $900M
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm
Question: How are big-time lottery winners actually paid?
As mentioned before, some states require a ceremony for one of those giant check presentations. So when you present your ticket and ID, tell them that you go by your middle name, and everyone calls you Willy, not William, that is both legal and people will be thrown off scent.

Also hire a top Hollywood makeup artist to totally transform you like Tilda Swinton did for Suspira.

Yep, that is her in all those photos. So when you walk on stage looking like an elderly red haired man or an asian mamasan, people will say, it must be a some other Jason Peterson or Sally Lee
Tracey Ullman both as both British PM Theresa May and Minister for Environment Food and Rural Affairs, Michael Gove.

I don't know where it says you have to look like you for the ceremony, just for the verification at the lottery office.

As far as the actual transfer of funds, it can be done as a lump sum or as an annuity usually across 20 years.

You don't want to hire a lawyer, you want a complete law firm. You need to create trusts for any people you care about, but most importantly, you need to create a non-profit foundation to handle all those requests and sob stories, paying the salaries of 10 or 20 for a couple of years until the world forgets about you (how many lottery winners do you actually remember without Google) is money well spent.

People also forget that you don't have to have claimed the lottery to start spending that money. Once your law firm has established that you have the winning ticket, they can easily arrange a $20 million line of credit.

One last thing. PRIVATE BANKING. Yes, that is a thing. Even if you are low key or claim it anonymously, having $50 million direct deposit to your credit union every year will set tongues wagging. Private banking is just that private, for very high net worth clients who want to be discrete. Have your lawyer arrange a meeting with Brown Shipley in London or Julius Baer in Zurich.
Hmmm. I remember about eight years back some guy winning the lottery for some large sized sum and the picture they published was of some hillbilly looking guy , missing teeth , wearing a pendleton and Chevy Bowtie hat over a mullet appearing haircut . And he was quoted as planning to get a new fridge for the front porch. Paying off the El Camino. Finally leveling the trailer and taking his son and baby mama to Disney World.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:22 pm

My rough plan goes along these lines. Do a few google searches on top tier law firms within driving distance. Take a couple of personal days to visit them (calling in advance of course), insist on consulting with a partner. Once I find a firm or two that will hear me out I reveal my winning ticket and see if they’re willing to take me on. The first things I put them to work on are.
A. A strategy for protecting my anonymity.
B. Setting up trusts.
1. A handful of family members I’d name. Nothing extravagant, say 20k a year.
2. The deserving or at least really persistent charities and long lost friends/family that would come out of the woodwork.
3. Scholarships for my old high school and the descendants of a list of names I’d draw up.
C. Start searching for large tracts of land (640acres min) to buy that met my criteria.
D. Draw up two purchase agreements for my Fathers land. One offering a fair price for my grandparents old place that I’d present. And if he refused another one too good to be passed up presented by the law firm in the name of a shell corporation for all the land. For various reasons I won’t go into this would be my best bet to keep the land in the family for my siblings and their descendants.
E. Look into investing in local businesses around my home town.
F. Arrange to pay off my ex wife’s house for her.

Then the fun would really start. Checking out land and choosing a building site. Rebuilding a place for one of my little brothers on our grandparents old place. Finding a construction company that would be willing and capable of building my remote off grid walled compound. And setting my self up as the eccentric caretaker of an absent even more eccentric millionaires estate (think Higgins & Robin Masters). I even have a rough layout of the house, driveway, walls, outbuildings, and gun ranges in mind.
I figure I’d divide the $900m roughly into thirds, one third for the trusts, one third invested (living off the dividends, and one third to get the ball rolling on buying land and building.
It’s a fun fantasy and I’d love to give it a try.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:38 am

$900million is a crazy amount, I think a million would be more than enough for my modest needs.
i'd give a lot of the rest to friends and family so they can prepare for themselves.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

max v
Favorite Zombie Movies: Planet Terror

Post by max v » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 am

grumpyviking wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:38 am
$900million is a crazy amount, I think a million would be more than enough for my modest needs.
i'd give a lot of the rest to friends and family so they can prepare for themselves.
Technoviking would beg to differ...
Sealegs wrote: Vehicle of choice, horse #1. 1hp multi fuel engine.

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:10 pm

I recently came up with a name for my trust the “Nanny Nanny Boo Boo Stick Your Head In Doo Doo Cause I’ve Got More Money Than You Do” trust. I’d have to go to th high school graduation each year just to watch the Superintendents face as he read out the awarded scholarships. :clap:
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

Return to “What Would You Do?”