Mental Exercise

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mental Exercise

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:52 am

Hey everybody!

I hear it told that ZS started when some frinds saw a zombie flick and had a discussion afterward about what they would do in such a (ZPAW IS IMMINENT!!!) situation.

Scenario: Everything in....normal. All the infrastrucure is up & running. You either choose to, or for some reason you have, live without any & all devices. Everyone else has theirs.

By device I mean cellphones, smartphones, things that allow for internet access. IoT. ATJ.

I see my life going on, without too much of a hindrence. Small costs becoming more frequent. I see me using a lot of stamps. :crazy:
Last edited by MPMalloy on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Mental Exercise

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:52 am
By device I mean cellphones, smartphones, things that allow for internet access. IoT. ATJ.
So... the 1970s?

The problem with that scenario is that in many ways it simply can't be done. You're a vet, I know, try telling the VA that you don't have an email address. Or your bank, electric utility, etc. There are many places that you simply cannot do business with or open an account with without providing an email address. For a while there it was also getting to the point where you also needed a Facebook account for a lot of consumer things, like contests and coupons. To an extent that is still an issue (and one I wish the Feds would address with some revamped regulations about alternate ways of entering contests) with contests and giveaways. You'd also be hard pressed to get a job these days without an email address and cell phone number they can text to, or social media accounts they can look over.

Try as you might, the genie is out of that bottle and isn't going back in.

The only way to do it then is go completely off-grid.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:53 am

That's the best I can articulate it right now. I'm sorry that there isn't much there. :?

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 am
MPMalloy wrote:
So... the 1970s?

The problem with that scenario is that in many ways it simply can't be done. You're a vet, I know, try telling the VA that you don't have an email address. Or your bank, electric utility, etc. There are many places that you simply cannot do business with or open an account with without providing an email address. For a while there it was also getting to the point where you also needed a Facebook account for a lot of consumer things, like contests and coupons. To an extent that is still an issue (and one I wish the Feds would address with some revamped regulations about alternate ways of entering contests) with contests and giveaways. You'd also be hard pressed to get a job these days without an email address and cell phone number they can text to, or social media accounts they can look over.

There's still jobs out there that do "not require online presence,cell phone #'s ect. But they usually involve you asking repetitive questions like " Is plastic bags ok?" Would you like to go large on the fries with your order? " Or making sure you mop the corners.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Oh, what was it that I was thinking??? :oops:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:11 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:49 pm
Oh, what was it that I was thinking??? :oops:
Probaly along the same lines as I was earlier this week at work. We got to talking about the Northridge and 89 San Francisco earthquke and how the freeways collapsed . I went to You Tube to find some video and found some unused news stock footage of the Northridge damage filmed that morning and several days/weeks later. And I was sitting there looking at the images of thevalley of that time and thought to myself. There you are California. Cause it's gone now. you know?

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:23 pm

So... no

- Credit cards/ debit cards (card readers)
- ATM Machines
- TVs built in last five years
- Checks at places that use instant checking
- New guns
- CHL

If you want to be unplugged Where does the road end?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 am
MPMalloy wrote:
So... the 1970s?

There's still jobs out there that do "not require online presence,cell phone #'s ect. But they usually involve you asking repetitive questions like " Is plastic bags ok?" Would you like to go large on the fries with your order? " Or making sure you mop the corners.
Even those these days require an email address and phone number "for scheduling changes".
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:50 pm

I was thinking that a person just didn't use those devices, not a whole-world-goes-back-in-time.

Y/N/Delete Thread?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:52 pm

No reason to delete it. It's a good learning tool.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:07 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:52 pm
No reason to delete it. It's a good learning tool.
I'm going to suss this out more & see if I can focus the question better.

It happens to one person/family, for some reason. The rest of the world is wired. How to live unwired in a wired world. This person wouls still be employed, insured, banked, housed, car, landline, OTA broadcasts. No sat, cell, gps, wi-fi.

Everything else.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:53 pm

The only people I can think of that live without most modern conveniences like MP mentioned are the Old Colony Mennonites in Mexico and maybe the Amish.

I do know that the modern world is slowly creeping into their world, but not quite to the extent it has in ours.

I've got a few relatives who are Old Colony Mennonites and the most modern thing they own is maybe a car and a landline phone. No TV, no internet, nothing.

Though the younger generations are becoming more and more connected to the modern world. It's usually just the older generation that lives in a mostly tech free world.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm

I know a lot of people working without much social media presence or much electronic presence period. Most of them are hard physical labor, but some use more mental labor.

There are a lot of construction workers and factory workers I know who don't really check their emails more than once a year and don't really ever check Facebook. Those things might as well not exist. They text, but you could choose not to.

If you have a good reputation as a tattoo artist you can make bank and not have any social media or email contact. I don't remember having to put down an email address for opening bank/checking accounts in my small town. There are other people who work without much social media contact, but again, it is manual labor.

In my current state I can get state ID without any electronic presence.

One could dance for money. Some of us here could do that better than others.

I don't know. I hope this kinda answers the question.

I think if I was going off system I would open a lawn care buisness and build it up. If I was artistic I would become a tattoo artist.

I know a guy who does a lot of blacksmithing. Litteral blacksmithing, and makes art and does practical projects for people. He is just word-of-mouth and does fine.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:08 pm

Tell us more about this dance for money

John Titor was right

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:17 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:08 pm
I was young. The world was free. Alas, age comes upon us all and my hips don't do as they used to. :clownshoes: :mrgreen:

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:19 pm

flybynight wrote:
First you find a talented organ grinder.

Shall be my brother

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:19 pm
flybynight wrote:
First you find a talented organ grinder.

So you were a money dancer too? Judging from the pic, must have been quite a while ago. What was your organ grinders name? Dang I knew you guys were tallented, I just didn't realize how sinuous. :shock:

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Don't be silly. I was the guy that played the organ inside the box while Gelato turned the crank and Bruce danced.
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 pm

I would like to thank everyone for making this thread worth it in the end. :clap:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:21 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 pm
I would like to thank everyone for making this thread worth it in the end. :clap:
You say that now. Wait until I post videos of my dancing.... :oh: :ohdear:

I found "video footage" from one of my "early auditions." I"ll leave you to guess which one might have been me.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... es/3506016

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:21 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:44 pm
You say that now. Wait until I post videos of my dancing.... :oh: :ohdear:

I found "video footage" from one of my "early auditions." I"ll leave you to guess which one might have been me.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live ... es/3506016
WHEW!!!! :ohdear: that's a relief. I was afraid when I clicked on your link I'd see some version of silence of the lambs buffalo Bill dance. OH CRAP Stercutus hasn't posted his video yet.

John Titor was right

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:36 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:02 pm
WHEW!!!! :ohdear: that's a relief. I was afraid when I clicked on your link I'd see some version of silence of the lambs buffalo Bill dance. OH CRAP Stercutus hasn't posted his video yet.
Eye Bleach, Getcha Eye Bleach... Cheap prices, going fast....
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 pm

I still know people who live that way. I was born and raise in WV and still have relatives who have never used the internet, don't have a mobile phone, etc. If you have never had it you don't know your missing it.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:12 pm

That's true. I've never seen it for myself , but I've heard of some families in my area that still live very primitive. Dirt floors. No phone lines and little or no electrical in the house.

John Titor was right

Return to “What Would You Do?”