It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2018 prep goals
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:45 pm 

I don't think anyone made one of these yet.

So what were your goals in 2017? Did you make progress? What are your goals in 2018?

I can't quickly find the 2017 thread so I'll have to guess what my goals were.

I think my goals were food, medicine, water, getting in better shape, and comms. I made big strides in the areas of food and comms. I got in good shape but my wife had our baby and I lost my fitness. I went into survival mode, and now that I started a new job, moved, and our daughter is getting past 3 months of age I can get back towards getting in shape.

My wife wanted us to prep by getting rid of my school debt. We did that. We got hospital bills for our daughter but my wife had insisted we prep for that beforehand and we paid those off a few days ago. My wife's next prep is a more reliable vehicle, so we are saving for that.

My 2018 goals are to take an emergency medical course, to recertify in CPR and maybe take another first aid course. Just to refresh on the basics.

I think it would be reasonable to get a 33 gallon barrel and pump. Just something to have on hand. I live in an apartment so I can't do big water storage but I can't help but think having a little on hand would be wise. Especially if a nuke went off and we need to shelter in place for 2 weeks.

I want to make my ham radio gear more mobile. I think I can do up a HT with a more serious antenna for the BOB. I also want to put a 2m rig in the car.

I also want to finish my BOBs. I have one for one of the cars and one for the house. I have been lazy and I need one for the other car and a second one for the house. I also need to assemble essential documents on an encrypted drive.

So those are my 2018 goals.

If I can fit in a firearm course I will, but that is pretty iffy. Cash is already going to be stretched. Further. Stretched further.

Some suggestions:

Food

Water

Skills/Training

Medicine

Shelter

Comms

Security

Relationships

Health

Add more?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Post subject: Re: 2018 prep goals
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I don't think I made a goal post in that other thread.

I guess my goals this year are to pay off debt, get better setup with water systems, get the three ARs set up with scopes/slings/ammo/mags, take a class, get more med supplies, start a garden.

So, we got our 0% loan back from the government early ;)
Got all of the credit card debt paid off, gotta see what's left and then we can pay off the hospital debt from having our son.
Got a Berkey filter ordered, so now we have very clean water to drink, no more of the wife buying bottled water from the store because she hates tap water. Still need to get rain barrels and such set up, but that's farther along for water.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:15 pm 

my prep goals are to rebuild new BOBs and go through my food storage. Definitely need some more water. Maybe another gun or two that I dont need :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 am 

probably the biggest goal for 2018 is upgrading my job, moved to an area with far more job opportunities but far higher cost of living, we haven't had to eat into savings yet but we haven't been able to add to savings like we were.

next goal is to upgrade the BOV. Me and the wife have been a single car house for 3 years, and when that was a 4runner that didn't bother me but now that it is a low-clearance hatchback I get antsy. I'm watching craigslist for a 4x4 SUV/Van with both some real capacity and some better winter/bad road capability. secondary and tertiary transport is pretty well squared away (bike, ski, snowshoe, pulk, cart, etc.) but primary is lacking. I also miss being able to sleep in my car on road trips.

If I can upgrade my job enough at the end of the year I would want to move to a larger apartment or house that would let me get the bulk of my preps out of a storage unit, and have some provision for on-site gas storage.

More minor stuff on the list is to get a hunting rifle and work on rounding out my food procurement strategy, and finally get a decent AR upper so I can share parts with all the normal folks.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am 

Have lots of things I want to do better in 2018, but here are some regarding preps. Haven't listed them, but
maybe doing so will motivate me more. Or make me feel overwhelmed, as I want to accomplish a lot. Main issues I run into are money, time, and a husband that doesn't see the necessity. Got him multiple items to put in his vehicle and he has yet to do so...when he is the main one to transport out kids :roll:

1) Restock and make several simple first aid kits again (as my main one was sadly destroyed by a water leak).
2) Improve my garden/learn from the mistakes I made last year.
3) Get more into savings, as a sudden expense/financial turmoil is more likely than the apocalypse.
4) Get BOB made for each vehicle. I have a little emergency kit in mine that was gifted to me, but want to expand it.
5) Increase and organize backstock of food and water.

Lots of other things to add, but those are probably the priorities.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:36 am 

Lose the last ten pounds (down 30 since last september!)

Start lifting more (tentatively want to get my bench to my bodyweight)

Increase emergency savings at least 10k

Get a redundant heat source for the house (thinking a wood stove, all on gas heat now)

Teach fiancee (wife in June) at least basic gun safety and marksmanship

Want to do at least one multi-day hiking trip this year

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm 

This will be a very busy year indeed. I recently started flying for a HEMS agency and will have to move to Northern AZ (which is AWESOME because now my wife and I will finally start the homestead life). So we are purchasing some land and have a whole lot of work to do (Well drilling, installing a septic system, fencing, building a home, etc etc).

Oh yeah. And we have another kid on the way (which equates to more help on the homestead!) And my wife is finishing her Masters. So... Its gonna be a SUPER busy year. But, we will come out on top!

Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:25 am 

Not a bad time for a mid-year update.

I got an AR upper and got it set up in time for The_Alias to drag me to a rifle competition. I settled for a cheaper upper then I originally planned but better the one I have then the one I'm saving for. I already had a head start on mags and ammo so switching platforms was relatively painless, but still could stand to stack it a little deeper after years of AK stockpiling.

Instead of upgrading our apartment we managed to find a garage in the same complex for rent. It is over twice the size that our storage unit was so there was room to move a lot of the stuff clogging up our living space and still have left over room for projects. It is detached from our house so it does offer a little diversification in case of fire but is line of sight with our apartment unlike our storage unit. It does have pretty big temperature swings during the day so I haven't been able to store food in it like I'd prefer, but I am plotting on building a "root cellar" of insulated foam board to store temp sensitive items. Still no gas storage.

We have been actively car shopping and have narrowed our list quite a bit but haven't found the right one yet. Most likely candidate at this point is an AWD Astro/Safari van. Exploring the Rockies has been a ton of fun, but I do cringe a bit every time I have to go adventuring in the Honda.

No job upgrade yet, so savings has remained stagnate.

Wasn't on the original post but I've been very happy how far I've come on beefing up my battery and solar infrastructure as well, switched most of my weapon lights from CR123s to 16650 rechargables and bought a smart charger and small solar panel to keep everything kicking in sunny Colorado.

AK, Glock, Pie.