It is currently Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 am 

Luckily, I am self-employed as a counselor and would be able to drop my work expenses significantly if I chose to stop having a physical location and just do in-homes. Really, the only thing I worry about for me is if I would have a major health issue that would keep me from working or if I would have to change the city in which I work and take a pay cut as I rebuild my practice. However, we are a dual-income family who needs both incomes to make the bills, so if anything happened to either one of our incomes, we would be in trouble at the moment.

Due to some major medical expenses incurred a while back, 3 children, and various other life crap, we don't have much in savings. Could probably last a month without having to liquidate anything or ask for family assistance. Maybe two if I did some unique accounting. Seems like every time I start to build it up, something happens. Last issue was a reindeer (as I am calling him forever since it happened in November) deciding to jump on the hood of my car. While I was driving. I am not exaggerating. Was able to get a decent down payment on a vehicle from the corpse of my old one, but had to spend a large chunk of savings on taxes and licensing. I travel so much to and from work I really couldn't get a clunker.

Things we could cut down easily would be eating out (which we do too much of anyway) and fun money for us and kiddos. We don't spend an extravagant amount normally, but every little bit helps. We don't have cable, but need the interwebs.

Could last a lot longer if we liquidated either IRA or sold the house, took the equity, and got a rental.

"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+