How long can you last on your own?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ellywick

Re: How long can you last on your own?

Post by Ellywick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:38 am

Luckily, I am self-employed as a counselor and would be able to drop my work expenses significantly if I chose to stop having a physical location and just do in-homes. Really, the only thing I worry about for me is if I would have a major health issue that would keep me from working or if I would have to change the city in which I work and take a pay cut as I rebuild my practice. However, we are a dual-income family who needs both incomes to make the bills, so if anything happened to either one of our incomes, we would be in trouble at the moment.

Due to some major medical expenses incurred a while back, 3 children, and various other life crap, we don't have much in savings. Could probably last a month without having to liquidate anything or ask for family assistance. Maybe two if I did some unique accounting. Seems like every time I start to build it up, something happens. Last issue was a reindeer (as I am calling him forever since it happened in November) deciding to jump on the hood of my car. While I was driving. I am not exaggerating. Was able to get a decent down payment on a vehicle from the corpse of my old one, but had to spend a large chunk of savings on taxes and licensing. I travel so much to and from work I really couldn't get a clunker.

Things we could cut down easily would be eating out (which we do too much of anyway) and fun money for us and kiddos. We don't spend an extravagant amount normally, but every little bit helps. We don't have cable, but need the interwebs.

Could last a lot longer if we liquidated either IRA or sold the house, took the equity, and got a rental.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:08 am

being out of work is not SHTF, its a minor inconvenience.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

FrankyDub23

Post by FrankyDub23 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:16 am
I have planned for that.

1. Get a full sized van and live in it.
2. Divorce wife and find a sugar momma.
LOL'd at this so much. :clap:

FrankyDub23

Post by FrankyDub23 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm

I've actually been in Asia last year with a couple of friends. I lived like how Filipinos, Vietnamese and Japanese people live in their country. I stayed at remote locations like Ogasawara island, villages beside the Mekong River and the mountains of Rizal Province. I lived there just like the villagers and helped them how to sustain themselves. I learned from them and I hope they learned from us too. So I guess I can last on my own based on all the things I learned.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:48 pm

I was "between assignments" for 17 months. Wife never skipped a beat. I put her in charge of paying the bills, but she juggled them expertly. I had my monthly VA check and an annuity of 3,200 a month after taxes and health insurance for my wife and four kids. We maxxed out four credit cards, I liquidated a huge chunk of my stock portfolio and didn't plan for the massive capital gains tax. Who knew that buying Apple at $2.69 would come back to bite me in the ass.

We also made the strategic decision to file but not paid the federal income tax owed since we didn't have the money. Their debt has the lowest vig.

So as a result I'm in debt about 170K.

Luckily, things turned around for me in January of this year landing a six figure job with a TS/SCI/CI POLY clearance position. You'd think I'd be wiping my debts out, but after the withholdings, it is surprising how much less it is.

So now I'm trying to set up a cash out refi on the house I bought in San Diego after Desert Storm to pay my taxes, payback the money we took out of the kids account and wipe out the credit cards and right this ship.

I'm going to start getting my kids to invest now. Drips are what kept me from going under.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:29 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:16 am
I have planned for that.

1. Get a full sized van and live in it.
2. Divorce wife and find a sugar momma.
I might have a lead on a van. :mrgreen:

olateone

Post by olateone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Probably start a “Go Fund Me.”

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:27 pm

olateone wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 pm
Probably start a “Go Fund Me.”
Ah, the modern day electronic pan-handling and grift. Whoever thought of that was pure genius.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Return to “What Would You Do?”