It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 am 

Another SHTF scenario, but one that most people will face at least once in their lives.
You're out of work
You didn't qualify for any government assistance
What do you do and how long do you think you'll last before you start selling off retirement account, house, hobbies, etc. to make ends meet.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:16 am 

I have planned for that.

1. Get a full sized van and live in it.
2. Divorce wife and find a sugar momma.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:29 am 

If I lost my job today we could probably last 6 months. But it would be a TIGHT 6 months. Selling off my hobbies would probably buy another 2 months.

If I got unemployment we could probably do 12 months or more. We are used to living on a very small budget. But if working off savings alone, probably 6 months. If I got a job or two working local "minimum," we could carry on for several years. Nobody around here works for less than $10. Unemployment is too low and competition too stiff.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Last edited by woodsghost on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:37 am 

I was thinking about this 2 weeks ago and realized its my new focus for 2018.

If i cashed in my 401k from last job, id be set for 1 year solid with a family of 4. And both cars paid off. I would maybe have 1 hobby id have to sell off.

Hopefully by the start of 2019, ill be able to say the same w/o having to touch the 401k.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:04 pm 

I plan on becoming the dread pirate flybynight :awesome:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:42 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I will be a high priest in the Cult of Zantra.....living in a hole in the ground can't be all bad. :crazy:

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:13 pm 

I have a page in my financial spreadsheet for this specific scenario. It currently shows a little over eight years without touching retirement, hobbies, house, etc. This would, however, pull from funds that are currently set aside for other projects & future purchases (car replacement, for example)

A few things my spreadsheet doesn't take into account are the other changes that would happen: I'd be driving a lot less so I'd be spending less on fuel, but (and this is a big one) I'd have to provide my own health & dental insurance, or go without. I haven't priced that but I know it wouldn't be cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I’d make it a couple of months if I sat on my butt. Let’s hope I’m not somehow unfit for work.

I could crank up production of various snake oils and aguardiente, sell gator hides and meat, dowse up some water lines and wells for folks, sight in and repair guns, hustle some hog processing classes, maybe fix the odd HVAC or home remodel project. With all that I could live off my preps and hunting/fishing/gardening for long enough to get used to it again. That should secure me above the depression level of living until I find solid work. (Although that sounds kinda fun)

If I have to I can sell scuba gear and parachutes and scroll saws and boxing bags and motorcycle crap and so on for quite a while that I don’t care a bit about because my hobbies changed.

It pays to be a hoarder......collector, I said collector.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:59 pm 

Close_enough wrote:
Another SHTF scenario, but one that most people will face at least once in their lives.
You're out of work
What do you do and how long do you think you'll last before you start selling off retirement account, house, hobbies, etc. to make ends meet.

I went 3 years w/o work. I did write and start selling novels on line. Ate some of my LTS chow. Put in more of a garden.

Since we own everything outright - rent (property taxes) and utilities were the big expenses. That alone makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:37 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

flybynight wrote:

Inconceivable!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:04 am 

Close_enough wrote:
You're out of work

I can always get work in my field. If I can not, that means I am disabled, so my disability insurance kicks in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

One of the best SHTF scenarios I've seen. Even the real good plan needs to be constantly reevaluated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:24 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
flybynight wrote:

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it does :rofl:

P.S. I also, am not left handed :clownshoes:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:03 am 

It's been 6 months, and I figure I can last another 3. Both cars are paid off, and I did qualify for Medicaid. If I had to pay for medical I would be almost broke by now.

Things I would have done differently.
Find a McJob right off the bat. Ridesharing pays almost as well as welfare. I'm to old to shovel shit, but I can drive and type.
Update my skills immediately. When in doubt educate.
Cancel cable. That's about the only luxury we had left.

Edit:My new job starts in January

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:20 am 

Close_enough wrote:
It's been 6 months, and I figure I can last another 3. Both cars are paid off, and I did qualify for Medicaid. If I had to pay for medical I would be almost broke by now.

Things I would have done differently.
Find a McJob right off the bat. Ridesharing pays almost as well as welfare. I'm to old to shovel shit, but I can drive and type.
Update my skills immediately. When in doubt educate.
Cancel cable. That's about the only luxury we had left.

Edit:My new job starts in January

Awesome. Good to know. And my wife and I decided to cancel the internet. We just have our phones now, and they are $35 each a month. While I have a job, we have been sliming down expenses just to pay baby bills faster.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:29 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I generally have a lot of different gigs going, and often some entrepreneurial project/small business as well. However, my main gig was teaching at a makerspace, which went out of business with about 2 hours notice and is filing for bankruptcy while still owing me a good chunk of back pay.

So, I've been here before. When I quit my day job to work on a small business full time, after about a year and a half I had dropped to within maybe four or five months of being pretty much broke before things started to pick up again. I was thinking I might have to go back and do some terrible cubicle work for mediocre pay or even get some really bad McJob. I do have an advanced degree and a professional license though, so it probably wouldn't come to a McJob.

Anyway, I'm back in the same boat of watching my cushion melt away/watching the runway get shorter. Fortunately, I'm pretty paranoid and moderately frugal, so my present runway is something like a year. With the gigs I have lined up for Q1 of 2018, that should extend it a bit. It's not enough to live on, but will help stretch the savings. I've been hustling pretty hard to find something more substantial, and I have a few promising leads but we'll see.

If it really came to it, and I ransacked my retirement accounts/sold all my assets, I could go many, many years without work. Also, my wife and I keep separate finances (and thus we have complete independence in our spending which works very well for us), but she has a good job and if I became disabled or something she could support our present lifestyle indefinitely.

A big thing that helps is that we live well- for college students. When we graduated and got jobs, we only upgraded our lifestyle a little bit. One bedroom apartment, one car for the both of us (mostly for her), we go out to eat at a sit-down place maybe once or twice a month. If you can upgrade your lifestyle at a much slower pace than your income grows, that does help a lot. So I'm not freaking out about my present career situation, but it does still suck.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -Isaac Asimov

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 pm 

I own a company in which I can work for myself and be just fine (If I ever lose my day job).

Not too worried.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

One month at most without selling anything.

Things are not good.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:02 pm 

It's been a few months since my company cut over a third of the workforce. I'm still good for about 2 more years with the savings I accumulated. Before that runs out I'll probably start selling stuff like house, cars, etc. I'll be fine. I've been homeless before and survived that period in my life. This won't kill me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:37 pm 

I'm already retired and planned to live without working if need be so at my current standard of living... until I die. There may be fewer luxuries and some major unforeseen loss could cause problems but other than that we are good.

I do work because I enjoy helping my community and try to make the world a better and safer place to live in. Relatively, they don't pay much but it isn't about the money.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:13 am 

One year on cash reserves.

Another year or two if I sell off spare sports cars.

15-20 years if I start selling stuff accumulated from hobbies.

By then, I suppose I'd be ready to live out of one house instead of three.