It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:37 am 

This was inspired by this thread by @Stercutus. On these forums, it is against the rules to advocate breaking the law (and rightly so). That brings up the question of what you would do to survive a disaster if you were not previously prepared, yet you felt you needed some resource to survive.

Assume you have no previous stockpiles, or that your stockpiles were lost in the disaster. You are left with the clothes on your back, no cash/cheques/debit cards/etc., and you need resources. I'd like for this discussion to yield a variety of tips on resources people might use for a variety of needs, so I'd prefer not to narrow it down too much. That said, let's narrow it down just a bit to some essentials:

• Food
  • Water
  • Clothing
  • Shelter
  • Medical Supplies

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:04 am 

Whelp, the problem here is you failed before you began. So you are pretty much at the mercy of whatever comes.

All those things that you need in theory can be obtained at a government/ charity provided shelter. In practice it is hit or miss. You can end up in a nice church basement with lots of home cooked food, donated clothes and a free check up from a parishioner doctor or you could end up in the Superdome.

The whole point of this website is to not end up in the Superdome OR the church basement.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:06 am 

Stercutus wrote:
Whelp, the problem here is you failed before you began. So you are pretty much at the mercy of whatever comes.

All those things that you need in theory can be obtained at a government/ charity provided shelter. In practice it is hit or miss. You can end up in a nice church basement with lots of home cooked food, donated clothes and a free check up from a parishioner doctor or you could end up in the Superdome.

The whole point of this website is to not end up in the Superdome OR the church basement.

True, but as the saying goes, shit happens. Most people won't be prepared for disasters like Harvey. As people who are prepared, I think we should have some idea of what to do if we find ourselves without resources, or have some idea of what ideas to give those we find who weren't prepared to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:14 am 

I see what you are saying but I still fell as though you are missing the point. It is kind of like saying:

"How do I call 911 in an emergency; but I've decided not to have any phone or any connectivity?"

Worse really. Because you are trying to acquire resources when suddenly everyone is having difficulty obtaining them. This is the worst possible time and a technique that might work under normal times will probably not be very effective in an emergency.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:14 am 

One possibility is to have skills needed in such a situation and "hitch a ride" so to speak with someone who does have resources and is in need of that skillset.

One of the most obvious is medical skills. An issue in the prepping community is that advanced medical equipment is available for sale, but relatively few preppers are actually skilled/trained in its use. Having knowledge of how to use medical equipment and tend to the needs, both severe and chronic, can help cement a place for you in a community.

Further, it may simply be important to connect with a community rather than "a group of preppers and their hoards of secret food." Those preppers are likely secretive and choosy about who they bring in. Simply having others around will allow sharing of resources and allow one to be useful and contribute to the group needs.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:45 am 

woodsghost wrote:
One possibility is to have skills needed in such a situation and "hitch a ride" so to speak with someone who does have resources and is in need of that skillset.

One of the most obvious is medical skills. An issue in the prepping community is that advanced medical equipment is available for sale, but relatively few preppers are actually skilled/trained in its use. Having knowledge of how to use medical equipment and tend to the needs, both severe and chronic, can help cement a place for you in a community.

Further, it may simply be important to connect with a community rather than "a group of preppers and their hoards of secret food." Those preppers are likely secretive and choosy about who they bring in. Simply having others around will allow sharing of resources and allow one to be useful and contribute to the group needs.

I agree, skills are something that can never been taken away by a disaster (because movies where people get bumped on the head and have long-lasting retrograde amnesia are not accurate). One survival skill that most people overlook is understanding how to access bureaucracy, red tape, and the government. I get that we tend to focus on those events, real or imagined, in which the rule of law is gone or completed corrupted because. However, many disasters are localized and the rule of law outside, and even within, the area still stands. I'm thinking of when Joplin, Missouri had the terrible tornado several years ago. Almost nothing was standing other than a safe deposit box room, but law and government weren't affected much. Even if you are amazing and sit like a prepper dragon on a hoard of stuff, at some point if you are affected by a disaster you will probably need to access the system. Even if it is not to report losses, find family, or obtain any assistance yourself, you can always help out and direct others.

And to piggy back on what woodsghost said about community, I think the ability to create and maintain a network of people you trust is important, whether that is family, friends, social groups, etc. That way, you have extra support in the case most of your preps go bye bye. Yeah, people can betray you and be d-bags, but they can also haul your ass out of the fire when SHTF. I think Harvey is a great example that many times people will listen to their better angels if they can.

Maybe this sounds too sunshine and rainbows, but I tend to believe that, in general, completely eschewing other people and the system to become a one man (or woman) prepper show is not just bad for our sanity as social creatures, but also not in you or your family's best interest for survival in the modern world.

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:03 am 

Proof of skills could also be highly beneficial, especially if it's a situation where you've lost everything and there's no point in going back.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs ... /0006.html (NSFW - he cusses a lot)

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:44 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

This is an old thread but most of the points remain applicable to your question.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25674

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:44 pm 

How to get resources legally ?

Talk to this man, nicely, and bring money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4839824/Shotgun-wielding-vigilante-protects-Houston-food-store.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:10 pm 

Texas is one of those states with less rare exceptions for the use of deadly force to protect private property. I still think it is not such a good idea. It provides exposure to a civil law suit regardless of what the criminal code provides.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:02 am 

Stercutus wrote:
Worse really. Because you are trying to acquire resources when suddenly everyone is having difficulty obtaining them. This is the worst possible time and a technique that might work under normal times will probably not be very effective in an emergency.

As an emergency responder the best option would be to get out of the disaster zone ideally to somewhere with enough government/charity resources to assist you.

from personal experiences, supplies are handed out on the following priorities
1. emergency services
2. critical services (fuel stations, telephone and cell towers)
3. nursing homes/evacuation centres
4. general public

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm 

Let me run with initial question...
Have skills;
Have friends;
Be able to make yourself useful.

I was speaking once on prep issues and had someone relate their experience after a hurricane. He said people who came into the shelter were considered refugees and send to the unheated area with cots, cold food and cold showers.
He was a licensed Ham. Ham radio operators, even with no personal equipment were automatically considered aid workers and sent to the hot bed, food and showers area. I imagine serious medical training would be treated the same way. Practice saying “I'm a X [nurse, HAM, EMT etc.] and I want to help!”

There are numerous people who could show up at my doorstep with only the clothes on their back and I would find room for them and feed them. I know with certainly that they would carry their own weight, always be an asset. How many people think of you as that kind of guy right now? Make sure there are more who think of you that way next year.
Or, know people various parts of the world who would open there homes to you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:25 pm 

2now wrote:
Let me run with initial question...
Have skills;
Have friends;
Be able to make yourself useful.

Ham radio operators, even with no personal equipment were automatically considered aid workers and sent to the hot bed, food and showers area.

Down here we have cyclone shelters (reinforced buildings with backup power and water designed to withstand 156 mph winds) if you are a member of the general public, have a seat and 900mm x 900mm floor space along with 945 other people.

As an emergency service (fire, ambulance, police, SES, St John Ambulance) you get a completely seperate area, with bedding, kitchen facilities and power

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'd join the relief effort and get my family to a place of support. (There isn't much that would cause us to leave our flood proof community).

If somehow things went so far south the whole community had to bug out we would stay with friends in the next largest community of 16k. If bugging farther than that I'd call out to a loose and extended group of Paratroopers everywhere from Portland to Miami to come get my family while I continued to help my people in relief efforts. My wife would probably lend her generous skills and efforts as well.