It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:45 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

MicroBalrog wrote:
I'm stunned that the obvious solution has not come about yet:

1. Build obstacles that make leaving the city impossible for infected.

2. Order all citizens to lock themselves into their apartments from 18:00 to 06:00. Declare martial law, whatever, have men in IFVs patrolling the streets to enforce it. Naturally, shoot any zeds you spot.

3. Disconnect all buildings that do not directly have people in them from electric power and heating.

Because, in this scenario, the infected are human beings who have a disease, rather than 'zombies' per se, anyone who is left in subzero temperatures for 12 hours freezes to death or dies from hypothermia. Remember, having one disease doesn't prevent you from having another.

Come morning, you go house to house and gradually select people for your evacuation.

So you're looking at around 300,000 residences, plus probably hundreds or thousands more buildings (commercial businesses, churches, schools, rec centers, etc.) that are being used as shelters.

How long do you think it will take to determine which of the possibly tens of thousands of structures need to be individually disconnected? Because, in this scenario, the infected are human beings who have a disease....and there's probably going to be a lot of folks who are going to try to keep & care for their infected loved ones, in the hopes that there may be a cure. Are you going to have to go door-to-door and search each one, under the conditions described in the OP, before you turn off the utilities?

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:52 pm 

Quote:
Because, in this scenario, the infected are human beings who have a disease....and there's probably going to be a lot of folks who are going to try to keep & care for their infected loved ones, in the hopes that there may be a cure. Are you going to have to go door-to-door and search each one, under the conditions described in the OP, before you turn off the utilities?

The logic is to disconnect the ones where there are known to be no people, not every single one that has an individual infected in it.

The goal is not to get each and every individual infected but to reduce their numbers as much as possible with as little hazard of their breakout as possible, while reducing hazard to my own men.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:37 pm 

Here would be my approach -

1. Mandatory shelter in place order for population.
2. Deploy Troops
a. Use troops to surround and seal off the city.
b. Use troops to defend power plant & sewer/water facilities
c. Create quick reaction force to deal with zombie attacks, deliver food & medicine, and evacuate selected people to a quarantined area.
3. Research to -
a. Discover incubation period for "infection."
b. Discover if Zombies can be attracted by sound, light, food, drugs, etc.
4. House-to-house verification of non-infection / elimination of any infected wandering neighborhood.
a. First Check - Drop off food. Hash Mark OK "\" on house & enter each occupant in a database.
b. Second Check after incubation period. Note any new people. Welfare check. Drop off food. Hash Mark OK "X" on house & update each occupant in database.
c. Shrink cordon to reclaim portion checked. Shrink cordon one neighborhood at a time.
d. Repeat as needed until entire city is reclaimed.
e. Maintain a loose outer cordon and a tight inner cordon.
5. If the Zombies can be attracted -
a. Run a Bearcat or Bradley through the city with lights, noise, or drug lure and get a Zombie Rave going at sports stadium converted into containment facility.
b. Use ability to lure Zombies to speed efforts to reclaim the city.
6. Eliminate or "Cure" any Zombies on the city streets or Zombie Rave.
7. After Zombies are verified as gone continue a quarantine of city / loose outer cordon for 30 days (or as recommended by medical staff +10 Days).
8. Lift quarantine / continue health monitoring of city and residents indefinitely.
9. Track identities, location, and medical problems of all city residents for many years or even permanently.
10. Track identities, location, and medical problems of all troops, mercenaries, and city leaders for many years or even permanently.

I would add that no one in contact with the city including leaders, military people, and myself would be exempt from restrictions on city residents. All external travel by leaders would have to be mission essential & monitored.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

AlexanderPain wrote:

2. Deploy Troops
c. Create quick reaction force to deal with zombie attacks, deliver food & medicine, and evacuate selected people to a quarantined area.
3. Research to -
4. House-to-house verification of non-infection / elimination of any infected wandering neighborhood.
a. First Check - Drop off food. Hash Mark OK "\" on house & enter each occupant in a database.
b. Second Check after incubation period. Note any new people. Welfare check. Drop off food. Hash Mark OK "X" on house & update each occupant in database.
c. Shrink cordon to reclaim portion checked. Shrink cordon one neighborhood at a time.
a. Run a Bearcat or Bradley through the city with lights, noise, or drug lure and get a Zombie Rave going at sports stadium converted into containment facility.
7. After Zombies are verified as gone continue a quarantine of city / loose outer cordon for 30 days (or as recommended by medical staff +10 Days).
8. Lift quarantine / continue health monitoring of city and residents indefinitely.
9. Track identities, location, and medical problems of all city residents for many years or even permanently.
10. Track identities, location, and medical problems of all troops, mercenaries, and city leaders for many years or even permanently.

I would add that no one in contact with the city including leaders, military people, and myself would be exempt from restrictions on city residents. All external travel by leaders would have to be mission essential & monitored.

This is complicated.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:10 pm 

I don't think this is achievable given the constraints placed on the situation. This sounds more like a 5 year plan and not an immediate disaster response.
Also, I will not be going to your mandatory shelter one way or another, as I imagine many would not. Take that for what it's worth.
Make sure when you issue that order you use a comma after mandatory. :lol:

AlexanderPain wrote:

2. Deploy Troops
3. Research to -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Cordon off the city, airdrop supplies in at random, the survivors will learn to parkour :awesome:

I'm gonna say this is in no way related to a drug, unless the drug had live viruses in it, that's not how infections work. So treat this as an outbreak.
OP said the city in question is most likely Colorado Springs. Checkpoints will be set up with some of the 20,000 personnel, since we're not given a breakdown of what those 20,00 consist of; any of the 20,000 who are Army, Air Force, or Guard should be able to carry a rifle and man a checkpoint. Areas in between the checkpoints should be monitored via drones or other aircraft, quick reaction force can be assembled out of the 5,000 mercenaries and they will turn back any who are spotted via overhead surveillance or a number of other tasks that a military logistic supply train would hinder significantly.
If the report holds true that even contact with the sweat of infected can spread the disease, infected must be neutralized on sight. If reports turn out to say that the infection isn't as easily spread, efforts can be made to subdue infected with tazers/nets/other non lethal means, to be kept contained in a solid structure within the city in the event that a cure can be found. At no point should any infected be taken from the quarantine zone.
Nobody will be getting evacuated. That really sucks, but so long as there is a risk of this infection spreading, it can not happen.
Any looters must be shot on sight. This task must be handled by local LEOs and National Guard.
Supplies should be flown in via the airports, FEMA will handle making sure those supplies get to the public.
Efforts should be made to find out if the infected are attracted to noise and light. If this is the case, a series of strong points should be set up in the city, high structures with all entrances blocked so that infected can not enter. Metallica will be blasted during the day on as many speakers as we can find, the infected will be disposed in whatever way is most effective without the risk of spreading fire and destruction to the city.
Efforts will continue as such until the last infected is dead or the quarantine is broken.

Not the best solution, but as I will most likely not ever find myself in charge of an entire city, I don't really think about such things. I would love a citizens militia to be hallmark of the operation, but local laws in the hypothetical city probably make the adequate supplying of such an absolute nightmare, you might be looking at 5,000 unsupplied and worn out armed citizens in terms of any possible militia.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:01 am 

MPMalloy wrote:
AlexanderPain wrote:

2. Deploy Troops

. . .

This is complicated.

Yeah, that's where the heroes of the 327th Powerpoint Support Battalion come in . . . :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:30 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

AlexanderPain wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
AlexanderPain wrote:

2. Deploy Troops

. . .

This is complicated.

Yeah, that's where the heroes of the 327th Powerpoint Support Battalion come in . . . :)

Of course! It's so simple guys.
Just get a giant projector pointed at the biggest building we can find, lure infected to the area, give the sexual harassment briefing. Zombie death by powerpoint.