If you had to, how would you?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: If you had to, how would you?

Post by The Twizzler » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:48 pm

Deep Sea Diving Suit
Best option: Modern
Pro's: Nigh invulnerability

2nd option:
Old Deep Sea Diving Suit
Pro's: maybe, could build myself

Image Image

Cheapest Option:
Acrylic Sphere
Pro's: Very Mobile, Great visual awareness
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't really care much for zombie movies,to be honest. I watched the Walking Dead for a bit; couldn't really get into it. Once in a blue moon I'll put in Zombieland for a good chuckle. I suppose "World War Z" was one of the more well-done zombie movies I've seen.

Post by 204 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:07 pm

ROTFLMFAO at the Acrylic Sphere. XD

That is AWESOME lmao. XD

Imagine if it came with turrets. XD
"What we do to our children...THEY will do to Society."

--Pliny the Elder

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:21 am

The problem with most armor, and especially some of the improvised armor seen here - weight and temp.
I frequently don "full body armor" - specifically bunker gear, then go into active and stressful situations. There is a huge difference between walking around in your living room practicing ninjitsu rolls in 30 pounds of phone books, and busting ass in a real life fecal hurricane wearing 30 pounds of insulation.

I have several type of body armor, from second chance soft armor for those unpleaseant work days to ar500 plates in a purpose built carrier with trauma pads, to full bunker gear and haz-mat kit. None of it makes the day any better, unless its absolutely needed - like a fire extinguisher or a ccw, theres not a lot of substitution between needing and having.

There are commercial armors that can protect you from almost anything - look at an EOD ABS (advanced bomb disposal suit) - the guys who wear them have to be at the peak of physical fitness, spen the absolute minimum time in them, limit movement as much as possible, and still often suffer dehydration or heat exhaustion.

When looking at DIY armor solutions, its not just about the level of threat you want to stop - that deep sea suit would not stop a modern rifle projectile, it is designed to spread a load over the smoothest, broadest area possible. Same goes for almost any acrylic. It would however kill its occupant very quickly on land without some serious modifications.

Stopping anything less than bullets I would suggest looking at motocross type gear - for bullets, get something made for bullets, that actually fits YOU. Chest plates are supposed to cover from the sternal notch to just below the diaphragm.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:43 am

Wouldn't waste my time..or resources. Plenty of other things ti worry about.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:09 am

body armour MAY be a requirement POST SHTF in an urban environment but out here in the countryside it would just get in the way of things, I cant fence and grow fruit and veg, forage and fish in a full set of body armour, I've got a SWAT type helmet but that's "just in case" and will probably spend the rest of its life in the box it came in.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

wamba
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland, & Walking Dead (if that counts).

Post by wamba » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:17 am

yossarian wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:52 pm
It's sounds like you have a high risk security job. I suggest looking into something that would stop .338 Lapua. Perhaps duct-taping a second trauma plate to your back in case of repeated hits from a .308.
:lol: I got that reference. I was really hoping he’d mention saving the mayors nephew.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, & you can bet they'll whine that nobody warned them.

Chaos454

Post by Chaos454 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:47 pm

In the spirit of the threat I wont go into how premade armor is better. I haven't tested this idea, but I have given this some thought. I think steal from an I beam would work. I remember shooting one as a kid, and if my memory serves me right it stopped everything we had but a 50 cal. I would cut the beam to fit, them put a rubber coat on it. After that I would place a thinner piece of metal, titanium if you had it, in front. The titanium won't stop a rifle round but the idea is it would get caught between the two pieces of metal. Hopefully this would keep the shrapnel out of your neck and head. I run titanium plates in my vest now to help with the blunt trauma of a bullet. I've used ar500 plates and the weight is ridiculous when trying to maneuver. I imagine this set up would at least weigh the same, if not more. The only way I would take my plates in a shtf situation is if I was in a vehicle. If I had to move out of foot they would be left behind.

If it were me I would worry less about body armor, and work on training. Good situational awareness, and observation skills will help avoid the fight.

One last thought. I have seen homemade body armor work for person A, and the same exact setup fail for person B.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sun May 26, 2019 5:09 pm

At the moment, my finances are being hoarded away for rebuilding my home. Once that is dealt with, armor moves back up the list of my concerns, and I will go commercial. I want something more lightweight and concealable that I am more likely to wear when needed. It may not give as much protection, but I'm more likely to have it on when needed. The biggest issue is less about how much protection it gives, and whether you will actually wear it. Armor is useless hanging in your closet. If it's not comfortable enough to wear every day, all day, and not look so obvious that any thung seeing me will immediately want to hit me over the head with a rock from behind to take it, it's of little use to me.

Except for a bump in the night vest. I can get something cheaper, heavier, and more clunky for that. My biggest concern there is speed and convenience of pulling it on.

If we're having fun and talking zombie outbreak, most heavy work gear will stop zombies. I'm getting rather annoyed with the shows I've been watching that several years into a zombie apocalypse, few survivors wear armor. They're idiots. Even basic sports or work gear would stop 90% plus of the deaths I've seen on the screen. Even some of the characters truly cornered by a mob could have just curled into a ball and waited for help if they had basic motorcycle gear on or the basic coveralls most industrial workers wear.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Return to “What Would You Do?”