If you took strangers in your home,what'd be your 3 rules?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't really care much for zombie movies,to be honest. I watched the Walking Dead for a bit; couldn't really get into it. Once in a blue moon I'll put in Zombieland for a good chuckle. I suppose "World War Z" was one of the more well-done zombie movies I've seen.

Re: If you took strangers in your home,what'd be your 3 rule

Post by 204 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:48 pm

I guess that's where we differ. I personally don't have problems with any of it; I recognize that sometimes there is no other choice. A strong offense is a good defense in my opinion. If you can't handle that, that's your problem; not mine.

PS: #MakingDeadThingsDeaderSince2003 lmao.
"What we do to our children...THEY will do to Society."

--Pliny the Elder

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Oh yeah. "It" is back...... :(

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:02 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't really care much for zombie movies,to be honest. I watched the Walking Dead for a bit; couldn't really get into it. Once in a blue moon I'll put in Zombieland for a good chuckle. I suppose "World War Z" was one of the more well-done zombie movies I've seen.

Post by 204 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:21 pm

You're confusing me with someone else.
"What we do to our children...THEY will do to Society."

--Pliny the Elder

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:32 pm

204 wrote:You're confusing me with someone else.
I'm guessing home-boy is leaving the forum, but I'd recommend you read the book "Collision Course" by David Crawford.

It kinda talks about how survival is not always what you think it is... Being a cold blooded survivor might not be what it is cracked up to be. You gotta live life to the fullest too... Especially because an APOC zombie world is less likely than needing a neighbor in a simple time of need.

So don't get too worried about hunting survivors with your bow when you can be talking to people at the mailbox.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 am

RickOShea wrote:Image
+1
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: None

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:27 am

So, I had to use the internet to see how many meanings "sock puppet" has and this led me to an urban dictionary which could be used for much additional reading if only for the laughs. CCIV sounds kind of teen-like, maybe a student. In another post, there is a suggestion to study Ayn Rand, referring, most likely, to her selfish treatise on her self-proclaimed virtue of selfishness. I say teen because this is when her books are normally assigned and the self-absorbed take to it quite easily. (Full disclosure: For good and bad, Howard Roark has been messing with me for over 3 decades.) I began with Anthem and send a copy to all middle-school readers in my family, but by the time you get done with the thousands of pages she uses in other books to more-or-less retell the story you will find people waving at each other by making the dollar sign in the air. To signal that there is nothing but your 'self' and then to later add in that maybe you can have one friend (money) is about as shallow as one old woman can be. Without hope there is no grace and with no grace there is no reprieve...nothing but standing at the gallows waiting for your turn.

Anyway, in a post-apocalyptic world, I think I would emphasize the 11th General Order predominantly, and I don't think I would be taking in many strangers. Once allowed inside though, I will have signs posted with the rules.

1. Don't spit on the floor
2. Use the spittoon
3. That's what it's for
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
204 wrote:You're confusing me with someone else.
I'm guessing home-boy is leaving the forum, but I'd recommend you read the book "Collision Course" by David Crawford.

It kinda talks about how survival is not always what you think it is... Being a cold blooded survivor might not be what it is cracked up to be. You gotta live life to the fullest too... Especially because an APOC zombie world is less likely than needing a neighbor in a simple time of need.

So don't get too worried about hunting survivors with your bow when you can be talking to people at the mailbox.
"You gotta live life to the fullest too... Especially because an APOC zombie world is less likely than needing a neighbor in a simple time of need.So don't get too worried about hunting survivors with your bow when you can be talking to people at the mailbox"
New sig line :D

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:14 pm

I don't know if that was a visit from the Hokie/longy troll or Napoleon Dynamite. :shock:

Guess I should have asked if he has a pet Liger before he left.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 pm

So far it's Zantra/longy/Hoki/204.

Am I missing any names?

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:03 pm

3 rules-

Mine would be the same ones I use for my kids-

1) this isn't a democracy, it is a benevolent dictatorship.
- I'm not your friend, I'm your father (leader)
- I do what I do for the good of this family (group)
- If I want your advice I will ask for it, otherwise hold your peace

2) if it's not yours, don't touch it (without asking permission)
- if it's not your toy, don't touch it
- if it's not your body, don't touch it
- if it's not your gun, don't touch it
- etc. etc. etc.
(This rule is really universal if you think about it)

3) handle your own shit
- if you have a problem with your sibling (group mate), handle it before I have to, if I get involved no one will win
- pick up after yourself
- be responsible for your actions
- take ownership

I'm raising little people to be adults when they grow up, not over grown kids.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 pm

I non concur with that. Serious? 3 rules with more than a dozen sub conditions? Strangers and my children? The only rule I want my children to understand is much more simple. This is it: I love you no matter what. Ask me how they are doing!

Strangers will have to hit the spittoon!
Henry David Thoreau

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Never say never is the saying but I can't imagine allowing strangers into my home anymore. The last time I did that, bitch stole my Glock!

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 am

Rule#1. I am in charge. There's God, Chuck Norris, and then me. Helpful suggestions and constructive criticism are welcome. But, this is not a democracy. My word is final.

Rule #2. Be nice. You're already fucked, or you wouldn't be here. Don't make things worse. I'm not going to list what constitutes being not nice, but if you wouldn't do it in polite company, don't do it here.
Failure to heed this advice will result in you being very unhappy. How unhappy depends on my mood and the perceived severity of your transgression.

Rule #3. Everybody pitches in. Even if its just reading fairytales to the kids. If you have a specialized skill, whether hobbyist or professional, speak up.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:29 am

MPMalloy wrote:Never say never is the saying but I can't imagine allowing strangers into my home anymore. The last time I did that, bitch stole my Glock!
I hope she got a verbal roundhouse :clap:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 am

Based on many of the responses I'm guessing that some people subconsciously read the question in two parts: 1) Would you take strangers into your home? and 2) What rules would you have for those 3 people you took in? The responses lean toward, "I am in charge." This might work for the new joins most featured on television, a lone dude or small family. The scenario where the 3 people are college students (2 females on cheerleading scholarships studying to be a nurse and 1 male on a engineering scholarship whose specialty is fortifications and foraging) returning home from a religious retreat and carrying only large bags of rice and ammo might work for some.

I'll bet most of those here have 'taken' people into their homes before, normally family or friends, but if it really came to strangers it would be so much more difficult. The rules would have to be very simple and enforceable. Having been around/near refugee sites in operations around the world the sheer numbers overwhelm very quickly. So maybe instead of thinking or 2-3 people needing a place to rest their head consider every inch of your outside space being occupied by a squatter and your resources being used to support them for as long as they last. Or you could remain hidden.
Over 500,000 Rohingya have relocated to Bangladesh, for instance, with no plans to leave.

Anyone have the dislocated knock on your door or squat on your land until an emergency has passed?
Henry David Thoreau

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:29 am

I've been thinking about this one. Some thoughts:

What if it was an economic down turn? People took others into their homes or fed others during the depression. Some of my ideas might work during a more disastrous situation.

1) everyone who is 14 years old or older works. Or if they look 14. If they don't, they are out.

2) children. They have chores, they have school, but they are also children. They have some play time, but they have responsibility too.

3) everybody pays rent and child care. Everyone of working age. That rent and child care money goes to buying food and paying those who are doing the child care.

4) Everybody who is of age can work in the home or outside the home. Their choice. Every worker pays into the childcare fund, and rent. They can work in the home doing cleaning, cooking, and child care. Or they can work outside the home.

5) Drugs, alcohol, sexual relationships, and general chaos is not allowed in the home. If that is a problem, you will be seen to the door.

6) If your job outside the home involves drugs, alcohol, sexual occupations, or anything that will bring disease or chaos into this house, you will be seen to the door.

7) If you have a gun, good for you. You will keep that secured and be expected to contribute to the defense and security of the home. If you have a problem with that, you will be seen to the door.

8) Men and women live in different parts of the house. Even married couples. If you need to live in my house you are in survival mode. You will survive and treated respectfully. When you are stable enough you will be glad to see the last of us.

9) You will treat others with respect. If you have conflict with someone else in the house and can resolve it peacefully you may do so. If not, you can involve mediation or find the door.

10) Everyone will bathe and contribute the health and cleanliness of the house. This may mean cleaning up before entering the property. But that is the standard. No need to have disease rip through close quarters.

Those are my thoughts so far.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:40 am

woodsghost wrote: 5) Drugs, alcohol, sexual relationships, and general chaos is not allowed in the home. If that is a problem, you will be seen to the door.

8) Men and women live in different parts of the house. Even married couples. If you need to live in my house you are in survival mode. You will survive and treated respectfully. When you are stable enough you will be glad to see the last of us.
I have a couple thoughts about this...
5. No sex for anyone until the world gets back on track? That rule would need to include the owner of the property.
8. I can think of little to add to chaos than separating children from their caregivers/parents in a time of crisis. Are they being sorted into gender rooms as the grownups are, thereby being separated from their siblings as well? I visualize a lot of children crying/acting out (and frazzled parents).
-
In times of crisis, families need to stay together to support each other.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 am

ZombieGranny wrote:
woodsghost wrote: 5) Drugs, alcohol, sexual relationships, and general chaos is not allowed in the home. If that is a problem, you will be seen to the door.

I have a couple thoughts about this...
5. No sex for anyone until the world gets back on track? That rule would need to include the owner of the property.
8. I can think of little to add to chaos than separating children from their caregivers/parents in a time of crisis. Are they being sorted into gender rooms as the grownups are, thereby being separated from their siblings as well? I visualize a lot of children crying/acting out (and frazzled parents).
-
In times of crisis, families need to stay together to support each other.
apparently woodsghost will adopt sharia law :mrgreen:

My MIL stayed for 2 1/2 weeks recently, if it was a PAW she would have been Zed food. More than a week for any friend or relative and I start to get grumpy. If it were a stranger I chose, it would be someone that I interviewed and probably figured them into some sort of positive for their stay. If it was a gubment assigned stranger, :roll:.

So..

1. Don't hog the remote.
2. Don't sit in my chair, if I look like I want to.
3. Use your own login for PS4 network. ~I'm MacWa77ace~ [imitating batman's voice, of course, so it sounds cool.]

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:02 pm

4. No Hoki
5. No Longy
6. No Zantra (was that his name I cant recall)
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:52 pm

@granny:

Great feedback. My thoughts were that children would stay with a parent. It would be nice to keep everyone together, but with potentially 10-15 people in 900 sq ft something would need to he done to create order, security, and an approximation of privacy.

As for the owners of a house, well my wife and are in an apartment. While we would never put in writing, the reason behind the rules would still exist and so, yes, we would follow the rules.

@Mac:

Lol. Nothing in my rules says people can't drink or get busy with their SO, but the house would be off limits and people would have to be sober before entering. It is about creating a safe and secure place with minimal chaos and disease, and where people have a meal, a bed, and a purpose. And in my experience people in the alcohol, drugs, and sex industry bring chaos with them. I have no problem with them personally living with it. But I have a problem when it spills over on to other, innocent, people. Onto my family or those I am responsible for caring for. I believe adults have freedom. I also believe if they are under someone else's roof they can follow the house rules. :) And really, people in other jobs bring issues too.

I guess if I boiled things down to 3 rules:

Those who don't work, don't eat.

Those who bring chaos will be shone the door.

Obey all the federal, state, and local laws.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

analysis autonomy

Re: If you took strangers in your home,what'd be your 3 rules?

Post by analysis autonomy » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:17 pm

1. Keep the toilet clean
2. Put things back where they belong
3. Group activity at least once a day

reyes
BANNED

Post by reyes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Rule 1, my word is law. Rules 2 and 3 are the same as rule 1. I wouldn't do it, actually. My kid, my wife, that's it.

TheContractor

Post by TheContractor » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 pm

While it would take some amazing and special circumstances for me to let strangers into my home, and I mean AMAZING, if I did my three rules would be:

1. You will be handcuffed and shackled most or all of the time. Accept it as part of your new found circumstances.

2. If you in any way create unsafe conditions for my family, intentionally or unintentionally, your life will be forfeit with expediency.

3. If you in any way waste resources, or cause resources to be wasted, I will consider that unsafe conditions for my family. (see Rule #2)

Return to “What Would You Do?”