You Have $900M to prepare with...

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

You Have $900M to prepare with...

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 am

Seems the lottery has gone ahead in to the stratosphere. Cash option is over $900M US. That is a lot of AR magazines. So what preps will get you where you need to be when the sky is the limit after you buy the winning ticket? Keep it under $900M we want to be realistic here and manage our expectations.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

aikorob

Re: You Have $900M to prepare with...

Post by aikorob » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 am

buy as much land as possible with 25% of payout
8' fence around perimeter
modest bunker in the center
set up a homestead
large garden and animals
several class 3 firearms and a commercial reloading setup
see if I can make a one time payment to Baen for all of their book releases---forever

build a bunkhouse/hostel for all of the ex Hooter's waitresses to ride out the apocalypse
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 am

Finish remodeling the kitchen.
Pay off credit cards.
Get ham radio license.
Flight School.
Purchase several airplanes.
Buy six large, but modest looking and defendable homes in strategic locations around the United States. Stock each with long term storage food, short wave radio, fire arms, ammunition, a Toyota Land Cruiser Series 60 and a Mercedes Benz 240D.
Buy estancia in Santa Fe Argentina. Stock similarly.
Buy farm and vineyard in Wanaka New Zealand (5 million buys citizenship) Stock similarly.
Buy 10 million in jewelry grade diamonds and $10 million of gold ingots in 1/2 ounce increments.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:49 am

Hire an expert. ( The extremely wealthy hire out that sort of thing while they do more important things like count their money, spend their money, make more money and count it again )
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Buy a middling plot of land, decently well equipped out of my own pocket, preferably legally obfuscated (e.g. shell companies or trusts).
Set up to get an ag exemption, and all the other usual stuff.

Take an extended vacation, until like a week before the end of the claims period. Grow my beard and hair, dye them, loose as much weight as possible, generally change my appearance to the greatest possible degree.
Claim the funds through another trust, trust B, with only the most obscure legally-acceptable version of my name possible attached.

Buy a large plot of land (as trust B) in maybe flyover country, any and all needed equipment, large amounts of long-term supplies.

Quietly build a nice storm shelter on the small plot (like compact 2-bed apartment level; comfortable, but not a huge complex, excepting large storage spaces).
Quietly move about half the supplies from the large plot to the shelter storage spaces.
Quietly move about half the remaining supplies (a quarter of the total) to concealed caches on the large plot.

Distribute radios to trusted friends and family, and a general location (within radio range) of the small plot to go to in a great emergency, along with contact schedules.

In the event of an apocalypse, live on the small plot and direct people in. As the group gets large enough, direct them to the large plot. Both plots would work to establish self-sufficiency.

If there's never an apocalypse, I'm probably only in a hundred-million or so. I'll have plenty of money to just do whatever the hell I want. Probably learn some skills and get the associated tooling (metalworking, blacksmithing, milling, sailing and get a boat or two, piloting and a plane or two).

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:34 pm

I've covered this in the past...
Only, I was too modest in the amount for the story.

The Lottery

Roscoe had most certainly seen some bad days in the past. Far more than a few. In fact, maybe too many. Hell, pulling two tours in Guatemala, humping ruck in the highlands while dodging ambushes from both sides of the conflict, the term 'bad day' held an entirely new meaning.

Finally, having to babysit The Trench until their leg fully healed would be enough to drive anyone around the bend. In his case, around the bend was out of the Army and into the rough and tumble world of civilian life. There is life after the Army, it just sucks in a different way.
Roscoe first tried driving a truck. After shooting his way out of a second hijacking attempt, he decided splattering cretins under the wheels of a big rig driving wasn't a good career choice. He wasn't stupid enough to even consider driving a taxi. Working ranches like a modern day swagman helped for a while. But while the work was honest, it was boring. As a whole, entirely too boring.

He worked two years as a yard bull. That gig seemed like he might have found a decent job. After a shootout with cargo thieves, he and the railroad parted company. Their loss, of course. This left Roscoe wandering the Ag circuit again, swag packed on the back of his scoot, wishing for something better.

On a whim, he applied at a mountain-based brewery. To his surprise he got hired. Happy to work the nasty, almost graveyard shift, he soon settled into something of a life. It didn't take much to clean up the empty storage closet at the very back of a dead end part of the plant and move in. Compared to the hoochs the Army had called 'livable', the closet was a luxury pad.
He moved his scoot every day, following the shift workers in and out of the plant. The door to his place locked from the inside. The DANGER sign on the outside ensured some privacy. A little later, changing the lock only took a few minutes and was a low risk move.
Once a week he'd hit town to do laundry. After picking up a bit of food, heading back to the plant completed the day. Home sweet home.

The company cafeteria got him two hots a day and rigging a shower in an out of the way utilidor was no work at all. He'd get up in the afternoon, stow his swag in a roll around tool box and hit his shower. Waltzing in and out with the shift change crowd was a bit of camouflage indulged in for no other reason than the exercise. His co-workers were incurious, at best.

With no rent or other real day to day expenses, life seemed if not good, at least livable. Livable, until that day, the worst day of his life. The day he won the lottery. Stepping on a box mine in The Gut had been pretty bad, but winning the Ulta-powerball topped even that.
It was a stupid move really. He'd had some change from his weekly food run and stupidly spent it on a Powerball ticket. That’s when the trouble started. Six hundred and fifty four million credits worth of trouble. After taxes. It took him a full week of internal arguing before deciding to call in and claim the pot. He still had some planning to do, but in the end, went through with claiming his 'win'.

Once his name was released, as expected, all Hell broke loose. People he knew, had known or never met showed up in town looking for a piece of the pie. His pie. Women held up babies, claiming Roscoe as the daddy. Fictitious debts, bills, bogus loan payment demands and all manner of lawsuits were filed, all this before he could accept a dime of winnings. He was adult enough to fully understand that much money was like owning a crap magnet, but he had a plan... Roscoe always had a plan. Some of those plans even worked.

The payment ceremony went pretty much as planned. He accepted the golden credit chit, usable anywhere a cash machine or bank existed, smiling for the holoscanners. With brown contacts, hair bleached white and his cheeks stuffed with cotton, he knew his own mother wouldn't recognize him. He was careful to wear a work coverall from the brewery. This small gesture was the least he could do for the outfit after living rent free these many months. When the bright lights came up for the news ghouls, he donned sunglasses.

The first shot rang out as the reporters were shouting questions at him. Plaster splattered behind him as more shots shattered the air. While everyone screamed and ran around in blind panic, he calmly walked off the stage, out the back door and into a nearby alley. The magic card went into a skin pocket, one that had carried his ID and blood chit for so long. It was nice to have some Army buddies that could actually shoot straight…while being as nuts as a Vet could be and still allowed to walk the streets.

Spitting out the cotton, it took just a few seconds to shed the overalls, slap on acap and appear at the far end of the alleyway, looking nothing like the man that had entered. At the bus stop, the wait was only a minute before he took the cross town express out of the Area of Operations. The AO was now too hot to stick around. The flatfoots would show up and then the games would really begin. He left the bus with the rest of the crowd, heading for the first open business complex.

The restroom inside allowed him to remove his contacts and shave his head. Looking into the mirror, he was reminded of his first day as a Boot. That memory brought another smile. This was another new beginning after all, but a far different one from any of the others in his past.
It took the rest of the rest of the day to make his way back to the brewery to retrieve his scoot and swag. As the sun set, he watched the lights of the city fade into the distance in his rear view mirror. Life would be different now, much different. How much different he had no idea…
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Nice story TacAir, is there more?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:00 pm

$900 million?

Only a select very few of you will ever know. 8-)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:01 pm

First hire a lawyer
Second hire a personal CPA
Collect the money anonymously

After that find land, lots of it 200+ acres with ground water, year around flowing creek and a pond, close to some sort of town.
Buy some heavy equipment(Dozer/Excavator/Dump truck) and clear land for house/garage/shelter
Clear ground for garden plots, plant lots of fruit and nut trees
Clear land for clear a 100' area around the property and build a wall in the middle of that.

Once everything is built stock it with supplies.
Get to know the town and people around me
Hope the SO doesn't divorce me

But who knows. That amount of money is just absurd and who knows exactly what anyone would do if they got that kind of money out of the blue.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:10 pm

But who knows. That amount of money is just absurd and who knows exactly what anyone would do if they got that kind of money out of the blue.

I imagine more than a few would spend it on cocaine, hookers and gambling if history is any guide. But the amount is actually absurd.
Shall be my brother

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:44 pm

I'll play in the hypothetical scenario an aussie can win the US lottery.

change over the currency, 900 million becomes 1 264 050 000 AUD
- Don't advertise it
- Pay of the debts
- buy some nice land...somewhere in the Australian alps...about 40 acres should suffice
- design and build dream home - partially buried construction, fire resistant design
- Dream workshop
- Prep supplies (water/food)
- Off grid power (solar/wind)
- build up a decent armoury
- Start working on various projects...starting with a dedicated bug out vehicle/expedition truck
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Evan the Diplomat

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:23 pm

taipan821 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:44 pm
I'll play in the hypothetical scenario an aussie can win the US lottery.

- Start working on various projects...starting with a dedicated bug out vehicle/expedition truck
I think you could win as an Australian. You just have to buy a ticket.

Why a project bug out vehicle? You’ve already chosen a pretty remote location. If you do bug out, why not just have a skilled off road garage built you a couple, before you actually need them, then start on your project vehicles
Last edited by Evan the Diplomat on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:06 pm

$900M would allow you to buy outright the Jonathan Arthur Ciener, Inc..22LR Conversions Company and boost production before the PAW comes a knockin'
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:59 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:06 pm
$900M would allow you to buy outright the Jonathan Arthur Ciener, Inc..22LR Conversions Company and boost production before the PAW comes a knockin'
Or you could buy a real gun company and make whatever you want including some nice "dealer samples". What is the market capitalization of Strategic Armory Corps? That covers, guns, ammo and Class III items.
Shall be my brother

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 am

Travel to places where me & my money are better appreciated. Seriously, I'd go international. Domestic issues are no longer my problem. Really, I'm gone.

Bye! :mrgreen:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 am
Travel to places where me & my money are better appreciated. Seriously, I'd go international. Domestic issues are no longer my problem. Really, I'm gone.

Are you leaving on a pirate ship ?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 am

flybynight wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 am

Are you leaving on a pirate ship ?
Aye....and I's be needin' me a crafty crew...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:00 pm
$900 million?

Only a select very few of you will ever know. 8-)
That's pretty much what I'm thinking as well, NT2C.

To quote Ron White, (talking about becoming suddenly rich) "You'll know if it happens because you'll never see my fat ass again." :lol:

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:11 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 am
Finish remodeling the kitchen.
Pay off credit cards.
Get ham radio license.
Flight School.
Purchase several airplanes.
Buy six large, but modest looking and defendable homes in strategic locations around the United States. Stock each with long term storage food, short wave radio, fire arms, ammunition, a Toyota Land Cruiser Series 60 and a Mercedes Benz 240D.
Buy estancia in Santa Fe Argentina. Stock similarly.
Buy farm and vineyard in Wanaka New Zealand (5 million buys citizenship) Stock similarly.
Buy 10 million in jewelry grade diamonds and $10 million of gold ingots in 1/2 ounce increments.
I knew the Mercedes Benz 240D could run on oil. But...I didn't know all this:

"Today, I'm covering a pet peeve of mine that involves one of my favorite TV shows: "The Walking Dead." If you don't know it, the setting for the show is the zombie apocalypse. It's been years since any kind of industrial infrastructure was functioning, including fuel refineries to make gasoline. Despite all of this, the characters are still driving around in gasoline-powered cars. This is especially puzzling, since untreated gasoline has a shelf life of up to a year -- at most!

This had me pondering what car I would want to ride out the apocalypse, and my answer probably surprises you. Let me describe why the Mercedes 240D is the ideal choice.

The first and most obvious reason is that the 240D is diesel-powered. Diesel fuel has a much longer shelf life than gasoline, lasting years with little degradation. It's also logical to assume that diesel fuel would not be as quickly depleted in an apocalyptic fuel crisis, as the vast majority of the U.S. population owns gasoline-powered cars. Plus, diesel would also be easy to siphon out of abandoned big-rig trucks to fuel as you go.

Should diesel fuel not be available, the Mercedes 240D can run on a variety of other fuels. Many a Mercedes diesel has been run long term on properly filtered used vegetable oil. Fun fact: Crisco was originally developed as a machine lubricant. In a pinch, kerosene or even straight motor oil can work as well. This is possible because the 240D has a simple and robust mechanical injection pump. Modern diesels, with electronically controlled fuel-delivery systems, would not tolerate these lesser fuels.

Speaking of electronics, the coolest thing about the Mercedes 240D is it doesn't require any electronics to run. With gasoline-powered cars, you need a spark to make combustion in the engine. But with diesels, high compression is all that's needed to ignite the fuel. This means the 240D has no spark plugs. With all its other mechanical components completely devoid of electronics, this car runs exactly the same with the battery and alternator disconnected.

This completely analog experience offered by the 240D is a very attractive feature in today's reality of endless automotive electronic sensors and nannies -- and it's why the 240D the ideal choice for the apocalypse. There's no computer monitoring this engine and triggering a "limp-home mode" if a sensor goes out of its narrow parameters. Not even an electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear bomb could stop this thing.

This lack of electronic interference in the 240D is engineered to incredible lengths. Many of the accessories, which could have been controlled electronically -- like the power door locks -- are instead controlled by a mechanical vacuum system. Even the oil-pressure gauge is a mechanical unit, with a small oil line that flows from the engine through a firewall connecting directly to the gauge on the instrument cluster.

Being the highest automotive achievement of the K.I.S.S. method -- Keep It Simple, Stupid -- the car is damn near invincible. The few components that make this car run come from the same material as Thor's hammer. This is why thousands of 240Ds have lasted almost 40 years as taxi cabs. Mercedes even enshrined a 240D in their museum after it endured 2.8 million miles of brutal taxi use. The country of Morocco got so tired of highly polluting Mercedes 240Ds dominating their taxi fleets that they had to offer their own version of 'cash for clunkers' to entice cabbies to upgrade.

The only compromise with the 240D is you can never be in any kind of hurry. Being a heavy sedan with less than 70 horsepower, the 0-to-60 time lasts about as long as a lunar cycle. A small price to pay during the apocalypse for peace of mind, knowing you will always be able to reach your destination.

These cars are already sought after by yuppies and enthusiasts who love this masterpiece of analog motoring, and prices are steadily rising. So if you're concerned about an extinction-level zombie event -- or if you think World War III is coming soon -- you better start shopping."
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Question: How are big-time lottery winners actually paid?

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Now it's 1.5 billion or thereabouts. I think most of you are thinking to small. Once the PAW hits those millions aren't going to be worth much.

I'd hire a fleet of lawyers. Both foreign and domestic. To see how best I could keep as much of the money as possible. Anonymously.

I'd buy a strategically placed piece of large land in the PNW and another in Alaska. And maybe some small cache pieces of land in between. Maybe a small island in between.

I'd buy as many forms of transportation as I could. Cars, trucks, planes, boats, motorcycles. And a full time mechanic and builder to keep them all going and to customize them. As well as a pilot. Cause I just don't see myself learning how to fly. When I say boat. I mean more like a huge motor sailer. Or something large enough to hold essential staff - medical professionals, sailors, scientists etc. etc.

I'd build up the land with as much nuclear fall out, and combat safe buildings/shelters as I needed. Cache large amounts of beans, bullets, band aids etc. And then the means to produce all of it ourselves. Grow food. Animals. Fuel production of some sort. Machine shop. I'd hire a doctor too. Actually know one in the family. But she's not a surgeon. We'd need a surgeon. And a medical facility. Fully staffed if the PAW hit.

HAnd select the various people that I would need to run said operation. Fighters, medical staff, scientists etc. etc. But first I'd hire and expert to help me decide what all would be "feasible" and needed. We're not talking about a city but a small village. Then put those staff to work figuring out how to keep it going in a PAW. Even once supplies ran out.

I'd arm it all with the best weaponry money could buy. And a full time armorer. To fun it all. (I meant to say "run" it all. But really it would be "fun" it all. lol.) Perhaps one of the fighters.

I don't know how you could keep it all secret. But I'd hire experts and try.

Then I'd buy the Ciener company and take over the world.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:40 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm
Good question. The biggest issue here is anonymity. To keep yourself from being scammed. And then to hide all the stockpiling. You always hear about the folks who everyone knows about getting fooked somehow. Makes me think it's hard to keep anonymous for some reason. One of my best friends is an ivy league educated, atty at a very large firm. I'd hire him first. Just to watch my lawyers. Keep them honest. And help to me strategize.

(I'm glad you didn't just look this up on the internet. This forum doesn't need any google search links. And snarky comments. As bad as it needs conversation. Used to be you could walk into any bar and find an expert on anything. Now with phones and internet no one talks to one another. But then again it's great to catch that bar stool lawyer in all his lies. When he does speak up. lol. I kind of miss the days when you couldn't just look up "how to pierce a bulls nose". Or what color your pancreas is.)

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:12 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:40 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Good question. The biggest issue here is anonymity. To keep yourself from being scammed. And then to hide all the stockpiling. You always hear about the folks who everyone knows about getting fooked somehow. Makes me think it's hard to keep anonymous for some reason. One of my best friends is an ivy league educated, atty at a very large firm. I'd hire him first. Just to watch my lawyers. Keep them honest. And help to me strategize.

(I'm glad you didn't just look this up on the internet. This forum doesn't need any google search links. And snarky comments. As bad as it needs conversation. Used to be you could walk into any bar and find an expert on anything. Now with phones and internet no one talks to one another. But then again it's great to catch that bar stool lawyer in all his lies. When he does speak up. lol. I kind of miss the days when you couldn't just look up "how to pierce a bulls nose". Or what color your pancreas is.)
In some states there are laws against winners being anonymous. There have been a few court cases about it.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:14 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Usually by bank transfers.

Return to “What Would You Do?”