You get thrown back in time around 100 A.D.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Broccoli89

You get thrown back in time around 100 A.D.

Post by Broccoli89 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:34 pm

This is a mental game I like to play when learning new things. "How could I apply this information in this scenario?" If you were sent, without warning, back in time around 100 A.D. what would you do?

What is your immediate survival plan?
What is your long term goals?
How do you improve the world around you?

Rules of Scenario:
  • + You go back with only things you are wearing at the time. (EDC)
    • - No "I happen to be carrying my BOB at the time"
    + You can choose where in the world you would appear.
    + You can pick an exact year around that time. Let us know why that date.
    + No magical changes or knowledge.
    • - You look the same as you do now. No changing races.
      - You only know what you actually know now. Most people don't know how to build a microcontroller or CPU.
      - You can't speak Chinese/Spanish/Greek/etc. unless you can now. It will be a struggle until you learn.
    + Explain how you would accomplish something.
    • - You would build a rocket, where do you get the supplies?
      - You would become emperor of a nation. How are you working those politics to do that?

Stercutus

Re: You get thrown back in time around 100 A.D.

Post by Stercutus » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:11 pm

I assume I am stuck in North America. I would go to Zarahemla and try to get chosen as a replacement to one of the nine. After that I would be on easy street. Maybe some tough decisions about how many wives to have and stuff like that. I think it would be along walk from here to there but I am not sure exactly how far.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:26 pm

I would travel back to 34 or 35 AD, materializing in the outskirts of Rome. I EDC a small folding knife. Nothing fancy; a Tool Logic SLPro with a small blade and a detachable miniature LED flashlight. It has solid scales that completely mask the blade within. A hinged knife was of course unknown at the time and no one from that era would perceive it as a weapon, especially as I would use the belt clip as a neck clasp to gather the folds of a robe I would steal from a pauper.

Using what rudimentary Latin I remember from college, I would seek an audience with Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus. I'm sure I could not demand the favor of such a nobleman directly, but I would demonstrate the flashlight to one of his counsel and advise that I have discovered the gift of starlight. And that I wish to bequeath it to a man more noble and wise than I.

Once his audience is gained, I would again demonstrate the flashlight. Which to men of that era would well and truly appear to be wondrous magic. But I would then suggest that its true power, as with real starlight, can only be perceived in darkness. Thus I would prevail upon him to have his servants draw heavy tapestries over the windows of his receiving chamber. In near darkness, the LED flashlight would seem dazzling. And as the light can be separated from the knife, no one would thus see me deploy the blade in my other hand. Which I would plunge into the neck of the nobleman, taking care to sever his carotid artery. Thus I would extinguish the life of the future father of Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, better known to us as Nero, who in a moment of reckless hubris set torch to Rome, ushering its downfall. The raper of women, pillager of foreign lands, torturer of religious minorities and oppressor of his own citizens would thus never have been born.

My life would, of course, be forfeit at that point. But by then I would have accomplished my mission. Because surely this passage into the depths of history can have but one end, and such a journey can be seen as nothing if not a one way trip.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:58 pm

If I was in my exact location at 100 AD, I'd be pretty lonely... They estimate the first settlers didn't arrive to the islands until somewhere around 500 AD. The food supply wouldn't be nearly as plentiful either, since the majority of the "harvest" crops like taro and breadfruit were also brought by early settlers, as well as any mammals.

So... I'd probably just fish a lot.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:22 am

I would try to stay away from any of the native tribes in my area so as not to cause any plagues among the American Indians. I would live as a hermit for the most part, I don't want to screw history up. I would probably try to work my way over the Atlantic to the Library of Alexandria. There, I would learn Greek, teach meaningless philosophy, and read everything we wish we could read today. I don't think I would want a weapon, cause if I kill someone or something, I don't want Deutscher to win the election!
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Apathy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:28 am

Sworbeyegib wrote:If I was in my exact location at 100 AD, I'd be pretty lonely... They estimate the first settlers didn't arrive to the islands until somewhere around 500 AD. The food supply wouldn't be nearly as plentiful either, since the majority of the "harvest" crops like taro and breadfruit were also brought by early settlers, as well as any mammals.

You could build Easter island statues to confuse anthropologists. Maybe make some Odin like shrines to really screw with them! Bury them right where the highway system tunnels through the mountains, so only the mainlanders find it.

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:57 am

Two choices.

Pompeii. Vesuvius erupted in August of 79, but they were still rebuilding the town from the earthquake of 69. So maybe 55 in Pompeii. But not to live. After staying there for a year, either hiking over the Alps, or (more likely) taking a boat to Roman Britain. The politics of Rome didn't reach that far, and the tribal unrest of the 40's is over. The Romans were securely entrenched.

The architecture includes the Italian style of an atrium surrounded by rooms, but under that is the hypocaust, so central heating!

Starting off in Pompeii, we would find a winery. The volcanic soil was good for growing grapes, and wine was a big export product. We would revamp the process by making a small still, we would then fortify the wine. Small stills were available in Persia for perfume... Wine has a tendency to turn to vinegar, and the extra alcohol helps to keep it from turning.

Taking this new 'heavy wine' we sail to Britain, and sell it, and buy a small farm.

Then Goat cheese and herbs.

Step 2: gunpowder, and discovering the new world and taking over everything.

Step 4: profit
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:38 am

Well... knowing that English as we know it today is nonexistant in 100AD, I would be speaking a foreign language. So I would have to go with my second language and pick a Germanic area and hope my German skills are up to snuff with the old dialects. Then... I would use my knowledge of science and physics to explain everything I could of the modern world, weather, space, etc... hoping to win them over as a wizard of sorts. Maybe bring along my Ruger "magic wand" to help prove the point if things go south. I bet a cell phone, even without service, would dazzle them with its camera and apps, at least until it dies or breaks.

The main goal would be not to conquer, but to set up a 'Harem-like" eutopia for myself, so I can procreate with near-ancient era women until I have my own little city of mini-me's running around. It is 100 AD, there is no such thing as child support yet!!!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:51 am

Since I will be in North America and its 100AD then the US stands little chance of becoming an English based nation.

I would infect every single native I could find with every disease I could bring with me.

With 1000 years to recover they would NEVER succumb to the evil heathens foretold by the new shaman (me).

I would devise a written language for the natives and introduce them to math and writing.

Start writing down everything scientific I remember. Along with the locations of mines in the area. They would have a thousand years to advance iron working and electronics.

They already knew about a centralized government and just need a system of record keeping and accounting. Writing and math becomes needed.

Start an expedition to to acquire horses from Asia as soon as possible.

The possibilities are endless.

Or they would just kill me for showing up in a cloud of smoke.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Apathy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:04 am

pick a Germanic area and hope my German skills are up to snuff with the old dialects
They aren't. 100 AD the Germans had entirely different vowel sounds, Arianism had not caught on in Germany yet and the prayer books had not been distributed fully. Modern Germans would probably be unable to get by. You would be better off with Latin. I am taking cultural history of German right now.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:05 am

AD 33 ish. Jerusalem.

I would try to find Jesus.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:40 am

I'd probably be killed by the proto-Apache and proto-Comanche.

If not, I would dazzle them with my Iphone long enough to earn reproductive rights in the village. I would name this village.....Texas!
Boldly going nowhere

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Well, if I showed up where I'm living right now, I'd probably be hunted down and killed by the Arapaho or Shoshone. If I could choose anywhere to pop up in though, I might choose a really isolated corner of Norway or Sweden. As long as some vikings don't come along and pillage my camp, things should be okay for a while until I freeze to death/am eaten by bears.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

Broccoli89

Post by Broccoli89 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:51 pm

majorhavoc wrote: My life would, of course, be forfeit at that point. But by then I would have accomplished my mission. Because surely this passage into the depths of history can have but one end, and such a journey can be seen as nothing if not a one way trip.
We honor your sacrifice.*

*That we wouldn't know ever happened.

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:41 pm

865 A.D. to find the origin of my family. As we can determine this was the first historical documentation of our namesake in Southwestern Britain. There was a battle soon after in which the Vikings suffered their first defeat in the area. What we don't know for sure is if my family was present before the Vikings or after, but we do have a long history of blonde hair, blue eyed recessive trait carriers that pop up randomly every few generations and I'm the first male to not require surgery for Baron Dupuytren's Disease.

As for what I'd take, well that's difficult as most of my EDC would be useless in a short time. The thing I would wish I had, was silver or gold.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Stercutus wrote:I assume I am stuck in North America. I would go to Zarahemla and try to get chosen as a replacement to one of the nine. After that I would be on easy street. Maybe some tough decisions about how many wives to have and stuff like that. I think it would be along walk from here to there but I am not sure exactly how far.
where/what is Zarahemla, and one of the 9 what ?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Murphman wrote:AD 33 ish. Jerusalem.

AD is After Death (of Jesus) . He's long gone back home.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:59 pm

Barnabus wrote:

Negative. AD=Anno Domini, Year of our Lord. It starts approximately around the time of Jesus' birth. 33 AD would probably be anywhere from a couple of years before His ministry to a couple of years after.
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 pm

Barnabus wrote:

LOL..... Nope, not even close.....

I feel the same way. But if stuck in pre-Meso America it is likely my best shot.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:04 pm

majorhavoc wrote:I would travel back to 34 or 35 AD, materializing in the outskirts of Rome. I EDC a small folding knife. Nothing fancy; a Tool Logic SLPro with a small blade and a detachable miniature LED flashlight. It has solid scales that completely mask the blade within. A hinged knife was of course unknown at the time and no one from that era would perceive it as a weapon, especially as I would use the belt clip as a neck clasp to gather the folds of a robe I would steal from a pauper...
Really?

Circa 200 AD.

Circa 50 AD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTy1jvaWc4
There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that believe in the Moon Landing and those that don't.

Drop Dead Zed

Post by Drop Dead Zed » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:20 pm

The thing is, a lot of people think that "ancient" means the same as "ignorant, dumb, and/or unsophisticated." Nothing could be further from the truth. Ancient Rome was seen as golden age of unequaled heights of civilization until the Age of Enlightenment for a reason. I would not assume that I could go back to ANY period in time and wow them. If I displayed a good deal of knowledge or engineering acumen, I might make a particularly useful slave for some aristocrat. Best bet to live on your own terms would be to "lay low, find a quiet corner of the world and stay out of history's way."

On the other hand, slavery in ancient times wasn't at all like chattel slavery of Antebellum America. Ancient slaves often held quite a bit of power, wealth, and prestige. The relationship was more akin to an oath of fealty. So maybe I could parley my (supposedly) advanced knowledge into a cush job in a country villa somewhere.

Really, I would like to go back to the beginning of the industrial revolution where my knowledge and skill-set could really shine.

btw, I have a degree in history specialized in the ancient era, studied Latin and Greek and would absolutely, positively, never, ever, ever want to visit 100 AD without a full on Marine Expeditionary Unit and a way back to my home time.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:45 pm

majorhavoc wrote:I would travel back to 34 or 35 AD, materializing in the outskirts of Rome. I EDC a small folding knife. Nothing fancy; a Tool Logic SLPro with a small blade and a detachable miniature LED flashlight. It has solid scales that completely mask the blade within. A hinged knife was of course unknown at the time and no one from that era would perceive it as a weapon, especially as I would use the belt clip as a neck clasp to gather the folds of a robe I would steal from a pauper.

Using what rudimentary Latin I remember from college, I would seek an audience with Gnaeus Domitius Ahenobarbus. I'm sure I could not demand the favor of such a nobleman directly, but I would demonstrate the flashlight to one of his counsel and advise that I have discovered the gift of starlight. And that I wish to bequeath it to a man more noble and wise than I.

Once his audience is gained, I would again demonstrate the flashlight. Which to men of that era would well and truly appear to be wondrous magic. But I would then suggest that its true power, as with real starlight, can only be perceived in darkness. Thus I would prevail upon him to have his servants draw heavy tapestries over the windows of his receiving chamber. In near darkness, the LED flashlight would seem dazzling. And as the light can be separated from the knife, no one would thus see me deploy the blade in my other hand. Which I would plunge into the neck of the nobleman, taking care to sever his carotid artery. Thus I would extinguish the life of the future father of Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, better known to us as Nero, who in a moment of reckless hubris set torch to Rome, ushering its downfall. The raper of women, pillager of foreign lands, torturer of religious minorities and oppressor of his own citizens would thus never have been born.

My life would, of course, be forfeit at that point. But by then I would have accomplished my mission. Because surely this passage into the depths of history can have but one end, and such a journey can be seen as nothing if not a one way trip.
Probably either set off a paradox or bring into power someone worse. Thus changing history so that today's world emperor and supreme ruler is Pol Pot. :mrgreen:
You should watch 'The Time Machine' remake. He tried to change resent history and couldn't do it, it all ended up the same. Or 'The Sound of Thunder', basically the butterfly effect across time with catastrophic results.

[Paradox] you kill Gnaeus, his son now can't burn Rome, so Cius Romanus doesn't die in that fire but instead he grows up to be a legionnaire, who kills Peotre Johansdaughter your great X 50 grandmother, when he was campaigning in northern Europe, so you're never born, so you can't go back in time to kill Gnaeus. [/paradox]

I'd go to Pompeii right before the eruption, heard it was a party town at that time.
79 AD
Party til the fireworks started.
Build hang gliders for a living. Maybe hot air balloons too.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Apathy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Barnabus wrote:
Stercutus wrote:I assume I am stuck in North America. I would go to Zarahemla and try to get chosen as a replacement to one of the nine. After that I would be on easy street. Maybe some tough decisions about how many wives to have and stuff like that. I think it would be along walk from here to there but I am not sure exactly how far.
Stercutus saw fit to drop stuff from Mormon theology. You could PM him if you have any questions.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Apathy wrote:
Sworbeyegib wrote:If I was in my exact location at 100 AD, I'd be pretty lonely... They estimate the first settlers didn't arrive to the islands until somewhere around 500 AD. The food supply wouldn't be nearly as plentiful either, since the majority of the "harvest" crops like taro and breadfruit were also brought by early settlers, as well as any mammals.

You could build Easter island statues to confuse anthropologists. Maybe make some Odin like shrines to really screw with them! Bury them right where the highway system tunnels through the mountains, so only the mainlanders find it.
No way. If I'm going to be screwing with future anthropologists, I'm recreating everything from Lost.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

Return to “What Would You Do?”