Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Jobs

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Robot Uprising - Or, what to do when AI Does All The Job

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:22 am

While he PTs, Alexa and I thought to send response to you, Mr. Malloy:
Sincerely, Siri
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I cannot watch zombie flicks anymore. The violence & gore disturbs me.

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:50 am

Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:41 pm

When I first saw this I thought of Hans and Frans from Saturday Night Live...Look! Girly robot bankers! Doing girly robot banker tasks!

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2018-04-11 ... 33191.html
Shanghai Bank Staffed by ‘Little Girl’ Robots
By Ke Baili and Leng Cheng

China’s second-largest lender has opened a branch staffed by two robots and no humans after cutting nearly 10,000 workers last year.

China Construction Bank (CCB) claims its new branch on Shanghai’s Jiujiang Road is the country’s first fully automated bank. A robot at the doors greets customers, speaking through a female face encased in a shiny plastic helmet. It clutches a touchscreen tablet to its chest for customers to use. Slots for bank cards are sunk into its waist.

To enter the bank, customers simply slide their ID card, and their face, through scanners. Inside, another robot in the hall answers simple queries. A virtual-reality room showcases the building of a house, promoting CCB’s latest move into the rental housing market. Beyond automatic telling, there are machines for exchanging foreign currency, issuing new bank cards and paying off credit card debt.

Those in need of wealth management services can still enjoy interactions with other humans, if only by video link to bank staff in another location.

Two volunteers from CCB are helping out at the branch for the first few days. But when the number of customers and gawkers declines, they will leave the robots on their own. However, the robots may struggle to fully satisfy curious customers, with one complaining that it is “just a little girl.”
I like that two "volunteers" helping out.
Last edited by raptor on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Now that's funny. It's probably what starts the first robot war...taunting. Look at you with the soft, shiny silicone face running on 3 Watts with the soft hands and the mechanical voice....
Henry David Thoreau

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I cannot watch zombie flicks anymore. The violence & gore disturbs me.

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:54 pm

raptor wrote:I like that two "volunteers" helping out.
:mrgreen:
Matthew Paul Malloy

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

"When society is experiencing severe disruptions, or is being completely interrupted, people have the responsibility to handle their own and their nearest relatives' fundamental needs for a while."

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
raptor wrote:I like that two "volunteers" helping out.
:mrgreen:
I can see it now ... (all spoken in English with a bad Chinese Charlie Chan accent )... I need two groups of volunteers...The first group to go to this automated bank and watch your robot replacements ... and the second group to go that room over there, to sign their termination paperwork.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 pm

To enter the bank, customers simply slide their ID card, and their face, through scanners.
That's to acclimate you to the extermination process
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:20 pm

From CNBC: A.I. could lead to a nuclear war by 2040, think tank warns
AI in the future could encourage human actors to make catastrophic decisions, researchers at the nonprofit Rand Corporation said.

This could break down the notion of mutually assured destruction being a deterrent for the use of nuclear weapons.

By Ryan Browne | @Ryan_Browne CNBC.com

Artificial intelligence (AI) could potentially result in a nuclear war by 2040, according to a research paper by a U.S. think tank.

The paper, by the nonprofit Rand Corporation, warns that AI could erode geopolitical stability and remove the status of nuclear weapons as a means of deterrence.

While peace has been maintained for decades due to the notion that any nuclear attack could trigger mutually assured destruction, the potential for AI and machine-learning to decide military actions could mean that the assurance of stability breaks down, Rand researchers warned.

The researchers, who based their paper on a series of workshops with experts, said that AI in the future could encourage human actors to make catastrophic decisions. Improvements in sensory technology, for instance, could result in the destruction of retaliatory forces like submarine and mobile missiles.

AI could also tempt nations to launch a pre-emptive strike against another nation to gain bargaining power, even if they have no intention of carrying out an attack, researchers said.

"Some experts fear that an increased reliance on artificial intelligence can lead to new types of catastrophic mistakes," said Andrew Lohn, co-author of the paper and associate engineer at Rand.

"There may be pressure to use AI before it is technologically mature, or it may be susceptible to adversarial subversion. Therefore, maintaining strategic stability in coming decades may prove extremely difficult and all nuclear powers must participate in the cultivation of institutions to help limit nuclear risk."

The RAND paper highlights the dangers of the use of AI to take military decisions rather than the threat of autonomous drones and other so-called "killer robots."

1983 nuclear false alarm

The researchers pointed to a nuclear false alarm incident in 1983 as a cautionary tale for the post-Cold War development of AI.

In 1983, former Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov spotted a warning from computers that the U.S. had launched several missiles. The warning was wrong, and Petrov, who died late last year, has been credited since as the man who saved the world from nuclear devastation.

"The connection between nuclear war and artificial intelligence is not new; in fact, the two have an intertwined history," said Edward Geist, co-author of the paper and associate policy researcher at RAND.

"Much of the early development of AI was done in support of military efforts or with military objectives in mind."

Many business leaders and experts have warned against the use of AI in a military setting.

Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk was among 100 AI experts who called on the United Nations to prevent the development of lethal autonomous weapons.

Musk has said warned that AI could create an "immortal dictator from which we can never escape" and that the technology could result in a third world war.

Ryan Browne Writer, CNBC.com
Matthew Paul Malloy

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm

From ABC (Australia): Japanese scientists invent real life 'Transformer' robot that morphs into a car
Japanese engineers have unveiled a robot that transforms into a car that can actually carry people on board, in what they said was the first such accomplishment in the history of robots.

The 3.7-metre-tall two-seater robot "J-deite RIDE" can transform into a sportscar in a process that takes about a minute.

It can technically walk at a speed of 100 metres per hour or drive on its four wheels.

But developers said they have never really tested it outside the factory cargo bay area.

Brave Robotics chief executive officer Kenji Ishida, who initiated the co-project with Asratec —an affiliate of the Japanese mobile phone giant SoftBank— said he was motivated by his childhood transformer heroes in anime movies.

"The robots I've seen in animation movies since childhood all had this kind of look and they transform into or combined with each other to become something else with people on board," Mr Ishida said.

"So I grew up believing that robots had to be capable of such things, which became my motivation to develop this robot."

While admitting that it may seem like an expensive toy, Mr Ishida said the robot is an attempt to inspire others and broaden the human imagination.

Developers said they will begin with utilising the technology in the entertainment industry, such as amusement parks and street parades.

Reuters
Matthew Paul Malloy

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

MPMalloy wrote:From ABC (Australia): Japanese scientists invent real life 'Transformer' robot that morphs into a car
Japanese engineers have unveiled a robot that transforms into a car that can actually carry people on board, in what they said was the first such accomplishment in the history of robots.

The 3.7-metre-tall two-seater robot "J-deite RIDE" can transform into a sportscar in a process that takes about a minute.

It can technically walk at a speed of 100 metres per hour or drive on its four wheels.

But developers said they have never really tested it outside the factory cargo bay area.

Brave Robotics chief executive officer Kenji Ishida, who initiated the co-project with Asratec —an affiliate of the Japanese mobile phone giant SoftBank— said he was motivated by his childhood transformer heroes in anime movies.

"The robots I've seen in animation movies since childhood all had this kind of look and they transform into or combined with each other to become something else with people on board," Mr Ishida said.

"So I grew up believing that robots had to be capable of such things, which became my motivation to develop this robot."

While admitting that it may seem like an expensive toy, Mr Ishida said the robot is an attempt to inspire others and broaden the human imagination.

Developers said they will begin with utilising the technology in the entertainment industry, such as amusement parks and street parades.

Reuters
Your rides here Malloy :rofl:

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:20 pm

flybynight wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:From ABC (Australia): Japanese scientists invent real life 'Transformer' robot that morphs into a car

Reuters
Your rides here Malloy :rofl:

Maybe if it was a BattleMech that folded into a Landmaster.... :rofl:
Matthew Paul Malloy

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:48 pm

A.I. Cracks Open the Vatican Archives

I found this interesting.
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:A.I. Cracks Open the Vatican Archives

I found this interesting.
That should come in handy for when super intelligent machine decides it is God.

( or the Devil )

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:23 pm

flybynight wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:A.I. Cracks Open the Vatican ArchivesI found this interesting.
That should come in handy for when super intelligent machine decides it is God. ( or the Devil )
hehehe.... :crazy:
Matthew Paul Malloy

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue May 01, 2018 10:26 am

Also interesting perhaps especially because the robot is making you answer a question up front (who got the one about the mattress?)

The A.I. Arms Race

Is this largely commercial?
Does this mean safer?
Henry David Thoreau

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue May 01, 2018 4:55 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:Also interesting perhaps especially because the robot is making you answer a question up front (who got the one about the mattress?)

The A.I. Arms Race

Is this largely commercial?
Does this mean safer?
Must be commercial. Site wanted me to pay to read the article :lol:

John Titor was right

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri May 04, 2018 1:14 pm

You can try to imagine what it will be like or accept that it is here. Is it too early to blame robots, or should one wait until after they have been taught?
Teaching Dogfighting to Autonomous Drones
Henry David Thoreau

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 pm

https://www.techradar.com/news/let-goog ... ce-chatbot
:gonk:
Dave: Hal, can you please reschedule my 10:00 appointment?
HAL: Yes, Dave. I will advise your attendees.
HAL: Hi Betty I am calling on behalf of Dave. He needs to reschedule your 10:00 appointment. Yes. Uh-huh. He will be dead. Okay. Take care. Bu-bye!
Dave: Why did you say th.... <Bang>
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu May 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Who needs to go bang when you can just

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 10, 2018 6:16 pm

That movie was an interesting take on the genre.
Matthew Paul Malloy

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri May 11, 2018 8:20 am

Henry David Thoreau

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Boston Dynamics' terrifying robots can now run, jump and climb

Hopefully these violent delights don't have violent ends.

Boston Dynamics, the company known for its "nightmare-inducing" backflipping robots, has unveiled two new videos that show them autonomously navigating through different terrains, including an office and a lab, and jogging in a grass field.

The clips released Thursday detail the progress that Atlas, a humanoid robot, and SpotMini, a doglike robot, have made. SpotMini, for example, is using cameras to identify and move past obstacles, such as office furniture.

"During the autonomous run, SpotMini uses data from the cameras to localize itself in the map and to detect and avoid obstacles," Boston Dynamics said in the video description. "Once the operator presses 'GO' at the beginning of the video, the robot is on its own."

Meanwhile, Atlas' jump over the downed tree trunk isn't elegant in the way an Olympic hurdler is, but it more than gets the job done. If that isn't shocking enough, SpotMini continues its venture outside near grills, walking along a concrete path. That probably isn't what most people envision when they think of a fun-filled BBQ with friends and the family dog.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm

So anywho... A number of employees have walked off the job to protest Skynet Maven coming on line. Google says they already have replacements "in house" to fill their jobs.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/05/14/ ... -says.html
About a dozen Google employees are resigning in protest over the tech giant’s involvement in Project Maven, a controversial military program that uses artificial intelligence, Gizmodo reports.

Project Maven, which harnesses AI to improve drone targeting, has been a source of concern for a number of Google employees. Last month, over 3,100 Google workers signed a letter addressed to the company’s CEO, Sundar Pichai, asking him to pull the tech giant out of the project.
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon May 14, 2018 2:21 pm

Stercutus wrote:So anywho... A number of employees have walked off the job to protest Skynet Maven coming on line. Google says they already have replacements "in house" to fill their jobs.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/05/14/ ... -says.html
About a dozen Google employees are resigning in protest over the tech giant’s involvement in Project Maven, a controversial military program that uses artificial intelligence, Gizmodo reports.

Project Maven, which harnesses AI to improve drone targeting, has been a source of concern for a number of Google employees. Last month, over 3,100 Google workers signed a letter addressed to the company’s CEO, Sundar Pichai, asking him to pull the tech giant out of the project.

Hmmm ...so lets see ...

You are the key Google execs and you have the opportunity to write and develop operating systems for weapon AI. As the developers you could have code in it to prevent it from either targeting you or someone/something you do not want targeted...
and 3,100 of your ~88,000 object and 12 are resigning...

so here is the question...do you ignore them and have an ice coffee or do you ignore them and have an expresso?

Return to “What Would You Do?”