Gotta pick one style Knife lock fo the rest of your days

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Choose wisely

Liner Lock -cheap now, most affordable later, most likely to fail
26%
Frame lock- more robust than a liner but heavier and more $
11%
Back Lock- very strong, moderate expense, slow to use
21%
Slip Joint-lasts forever, unsuitable for some jobs, at times unsafe
No votes
Ball Bearing lock- very strong but expensive
21%
Opinel style- cheap, safe, sharp but also slow to use
16%
Reverse Liner Lock-spyderco Para 2 style seems strong but $
5%

Total votes: 19

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Gotta pick one style Knife lock fo the rest of your days

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 pm

So a law is decreed outlawing folding knives in your country. You are grandfathered in but can only carry one lock type in public for the rest of your days. If the knife breaks you can replace it, but knives will get more and more expensive as less and less people are allowed to own them and much less choose to. A knife that might cost 20 bucks today might be 120 in a decade so if you have a really expensive knife ... :shock: . (Oh and no fixed blades are allowed ).
This locking type has to meet all your future needs but also at a price you can afford now and in the future.You also are not allowed to repair your own knives under the law.
So what'll it be ladies and gents?
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Gotta pick one style Knife lock fo the rest of your day

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 pm

I chose the ball-bearing locking blade because I have no idea of what I am doing. So there.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:42 pm

minus the optional cyclops
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:52 pm

flybynight wrote:Image
minus the optional cyclops
:clap:

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:40 pm

Never broke a liner-lock... I have broken a lock back though.

Even my novelty-dragon-flea-market-military-cop folders that I bought as a teenager for $7 have not broken their liner-locks yet.

You know... this kinda "stuff" (credits: google)

They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 pm

The Twizzler wrote:So a law is decreed outlawing folding knives in your country. You are grandfathered in but can only carry one lock type in public for the rest of your days. If the knife breaks you can replace it, but knives will get more and more expensive as less and less people are allowed to own them and much less choose to. A knife that might cost 20 bucks today might be 120 in a decade so if you have a really expensive knife ... :shock: . (Oh and no fixed blades are allowed ).
This locking type has to meet all your future needs but also at a price you can afford now and in the future.You also are not allowed to repair your own knives under the law.
Did I inspire this thread? :lol:

I'm probably switching to small fixed blades going forward for anything.

If not I'll go with ball bearing.
Man is a beast of prey

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 pm

1. Yes, you did.
2. No fixed blades are aloud

the_alias wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:So a law is decreed outlawing folding knives in your country. You are grandfathered in but can only carry one lock type in public for the rest of your days. If the knife breaks you can replace it, but knives will get more and more expensive as less and less people are allowed to own them and much less choose to. A knife that might cost 20 bucks today might be 120 in a decade so if you have a really expensive knife ... :shock: . (Oh and no fixed blades are allowed ).

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 pm

I have had a liner lock fail on me (granted it was a really cheap one) but I have never had a back lock fail. What was the knife and what were you doing with it? If you don't mind sharing.

JeeperCreeper wrote:Never broke a liner-lock... I have broken a lock back though.

Even my novelty-dragon-flea-market-military-cop folders that I bought as a teenager for $7 have not broken their liner-locks yet.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:34 pm

Oh, as the OP I should say I picked backlock as I have found them to be quite strong and economical to boot. When I think backlock I usually think Buck 110 or some Spydercos. I think this might mean 20-30 years they will be affordable when others might not be and yet still tough enough for any jobs I foresee.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:39 pm

the_alias wrote:

Good idea about the fixed blade. May I suggest this three pack knife set? :awesome: Image

John Titor was right

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:01 pm

MY current edc is a Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight with the ball bearing. I like it but if I ever lost it I would be concerned with the price of the knife in the future of this parallel world.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Considering I've carried an Axis Lock for probably the past 20 years, I think I'm good sticking with it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:41 pm

The Twizzler wrote:I have had a liner lock fail on me (granted it was a really cheap one) but I have never had a back lock fail. What was the knife and what were you doing with it? If you don't mind sharing.
Buck 110... same one I broke the tip of the blade off. Somethings jacked up in the lock where it is kinda stripped/worn and a good amount of pressure will have it let loose.

I abused the knife in high school. Never got around to returning it to Buck for a warranty. It's somewhere in storage so one day....
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Gva

Post by Gva » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:53 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Never broke a liner-lock... I have broken a lock back though.

Actually I had a cheap liner lock fail but I was digging in wood with a ,8 dollar knife. I actually mis voted. I picked lock back. But one knife I have been carrying for the last 8 years is a Kershaw blur, liner lock, awesome customer service too. Any screws , clips amor anything go missing or fail they'll mail them no charge. $10 bucks plus shipping for a new blade. They replace it that's why shipping costs. Oh yeah free sharpening from what I've been told. Mine has been EDC and used hard. Hold up great. If I had to pick a non speed assist knife it would probably be the Gerber gator. Lock back is a great knife. Both have awesome grip wet or dry and prices are a good price.
IMO well worth every penny for the Kershaw, I would trust my life with it. I loved the Gator til it was stolen, I had it about a year. Had a good lock up. Nice full grip. I want another one. Only issue for me was no pocket clip.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:57 am

can I pick the folding knife issued to me by said government for rescue purposes? :awesome:

if not, then what you are saying is the government in question issues something like 10 000 people with fixed bladed knifes :oh:
is it a trade in or could I 'lose' a bunch of knives

(F.Y.I Australia doesn't have grandfather laws similar to what is said in the original post)
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:02 pm

The law is the law. If you choose not to follow it that's your call. :twisted:
What type of folding knife is it that the government issued that does not fall into one of these pictures? Can you post a pic?

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:10 pm

The Twizzler wrote:The law is the law. If you choose not to follow it that's your call. :twisted:
What type of folding knife is it that the government issued that does not fall into one of these pictures? Can you post a pic?
Bet it's a folding automatic lobster fork.

John Titor was right

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:48 am

I can tell you my answer, I went with Opinels. Best thing to come out of france. Of course, the laws are actually much more restrictive, my Opinels can't have a lock (locking blades are legally fixed blades) so I remove the saftey feature so I can actually carry them.

Which is why I went with Opinels.

I don't like folding knives, probably because there's no lawful excuse for having one that I can't used for having a fixed blade, so unless it has to be my UK legal modded Opinels, I carry a fixed blade.

Oh, and I guess my Victorinox Swiss tool, that's a folding lock knife technically.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:09 am

The Twizzler wrote:The law is the law. If you choose not to follow it that's your call. :twisted:
I think its a back lock, but the point is Twizzler, its government issue, does that mean the government replaces it when it breaks/gets lost, what if they issue a different (i.e. cheaper) knife? Australia doesn't have laws which you are 'grandfathered' if they ban it it gets banned (1996 gun buy back anyone?)

I rip tears in your alternate reality :twisted:
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:56 am

Axis lock from Benchmade

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Of the list: The back lock. It's the only one I have operate with gloves on that is strong enough to trust with my fingers. I don't trust liner locks (three failures so far), and I can't operate frame locks or ball bearings while wearing work or winter gloves.

Off the list: a compression lock like the Ram lock or the piston lock

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:11 pm

That's a backlock. You get to choose what type among the choices listed you want to use. You can always replace it later (not the goverment) as long as it is the same lock type you originally went with. What other grandfathered citizens choose will determine what knives will cost based on supply and demmand. If not many people choose that type of knife then it will stop being made and eventually be harder and harder to find replacements meaning cost goes up.
taipan821 wrote:
I think its a back lock, but the point is Twizzler, its government issue, does that mean the government replaces it when it breaks/gets lost, what if they issue a different (i.e. cheaper) knife? Australia doesn't have laws which you are 'grandfathered' if they ban it it gets banned (1996 gun buy back anyone?)

I rip tears in your alternate reality :twisted:

AK49er
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by AK49er » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:27 am

Benchmade Axis bar lock /endthread
AmirMortal wrote:I like the idea of spare ammo storage in those holes, but it would be more appealing if I wouldn't have to remove my butt pad.
Oneswunk wrote:Im going to come up with tactical yam powder... Millions I will make. :lol: :lol:

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:41 am

Little late to the party, but I would choose an Axis lock. Nice for those of use who are southpaws as it is ambidextrous. Guess an Opinel would be ambidextrous as well, but prefer the Axis.

As an aside, Jeepers, your pic gave me a wave of nostalgia. My ex and I used to sell blades at Gaming/Pop-culture/Sci-fi conventions in the early aughts and so many of those look familiar! Always felt guilty selling crud to people, but I never lied about the quality. People just weren't interested at those sort of events buying the nice stuff and you have to pay the bills, right?
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

Return to “What Would You Do?”