Ok you are in the Aliens movie choose a turret!

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Spazzy

Re: Ok you are in the Aliens movie choose a turret!

Post by Spazzy » Mon May 22, 2017 7:12 am

Phalanx Close-In Weapon System
Produced by General Dynamics

A self-contained package, the Phalanx weapon system automatically carries out functions usually performed by multiple systems: search, detection, threat evaluation, tracking, engagement and kill assessment. The Block 1B version of the system adds control stations that allow operators to visually track and identify targets before engagement. The gun will prioritize the first six threats it sees at about 10,000 yards and engage at up to 4,000 yards. Rate of Train: +100 degrees per second, capable of defending a 0.5 mi square area.

The 1B variant's configuration augments the Phalanx system's proven anti-air warfare capability by adding a forward looking infrared sensor that incorporates an automatic acquisition video tracker, also allows for an operator to visually identify and target threats using joystick console. The tracking subsystem observes the target until the computer determines that the probability of a successful hit is maximized and then, depending on the operator conditions, the system either fires automatically or recommends fire to the operator. While firing, the system tracks outgoing rounds and 'walks' them onto the target.

Round: 20MM Tungsten penetrator pierce 24" of solid steel, or High-Explosive Incendiary Tracer
ROF: 4,500 rounds per minute
Muzzle Velocity: 3,650 fps
Range: +6,000 yards
1,550 rounds per magazine
Length: 6.62"

Plus I can fix it. LoL :mrgreen:
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

Stercutus

Re: Ok you are in the Aliens movie choose a turret!

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 22, 2017 8:00 am

I'd go with a THEL. I mean sure you need $300M to get it running but... Aliens!
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Return to “What Would You Do?”