It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1669
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 373 times
seandeville wrote:
Not many places in the UK. 65 million people, at least half of them trying to surge out of the cities.
Three days of food max due to just in time ordering.
London would collapse within 24 hours due to the lack of social cohesion.

Scotland OK but cold in Winter

I know a place in Devon...but I aint telling :)

You can't bug in ? Just because the stores have only three days supply doesn't mean you should.

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:24 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2147
Has thanked: 1087 times
Been thanked: 302 times
flybynight wrote:
seandeville wrote:
Not many places in the UK. 65 million people, at least half of them trying to surge out of the cities.
Three days of food max due to just in time ordering.
London would collapse within 24 hours due to the lack of social cohesion.

Scotland OK but cold in Winter

I know a place in Devon...but I aint telling :)

You can't bug in ? Just because the stores have only three days supply doesn't mean you should.


Right there with ya flybynight. seandeville, it really pays to have your own supplies. A lot of us here do that. It can be done real cheap and gives you a good buffer in case something crazy happens.

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Posts: 964
Location: Possum Kingdom, East Coast
Has thanked: 2295 times
Been thanked: 185 times
My plan is to head for the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:58 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am
Posts: 3071
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Has thanked: 543 times
Been thanked: 148 times
Asymetryczna wrote:
My plan is to head for the Big Rock Candy Mountain.
Take me with you!

_________________
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:46 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1669
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 373 times
MPMalloy wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:
My plan is to head for the Big Rock Candy Mountain.
Take me with you!


_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:55 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3753
Has thanked: 1545 times
Been thanked: 468 times
Asymetryczna wrote:
My plan is to head for the Big Rock Candy Mountain.



Good ol' Harry Mac McClintock.


_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:16 am
Posts: 1708
Location: Hill Country, Texas
Has thanked: 273 times
Been thanked: 59 times
Asymetryczna wrote:
My plan is to head for the Big Rock Candy Mountain.


Good choice! I used to ride mountain bikes there all the time when I was stationed at McChord!

Image

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/wash ... tain-trail

_________________
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:
... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:
... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:20 pm
Posts: 24
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
flybynight wrote:

You can't bug in ? Just because the stores have only three days supply doesn't mean you should.


You could, but what happens then. Even stored freeze dried food only lasts so long, and unless you live near a stream you will run out of water pretty quick
And can you defend the property? When people get desperate, they start kicking doors in

You can try and forma community around you, but how many of them are going to hold the same ideals? Very few unfortunately

_________________
Horror has a new face - www.seandeville.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 am 
Offline
* *
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:14 am
Posts: 108
Location: Central MO
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Wouldn't it really depend on what happened? I mean, I think there is a difference in what you want/need and how you would go about things depending on if it we're talking about zombie hordes, Mad Maxian criminal gangs with gimps in tow, the economy collapsing, terrible flooding, or a Sharknado.

Back in the day, I would have probably gone to my grandparent's house. 20 acres in a rural location, two established gardens, greenhouse, shop with carpentry tools, lake with fish, plenty of wood, and wood-burning stove. Sadly, house and land are sold now, so not an option. Maybe my parent's house? Less land and no lake, but has the rest plus fruit trees and a generator. Not quite as far off the beaten path, but far enough out people aren't going to be walking there and it wouldn't be an easily known target for people.

Realistically, we can talk all we want about major moves or ideal, nebulous places, but most of us, super-preppers or not, probably won't be going all "Oregon Trail" with our families unless we absolutely have to. Humans like what is familiar and will typically let things get pretty bad before they are willing to move on, especially because there is always the worry of, "what if things end up being worse someplace else". I know I would really have to think about it, as I have three tiny humans to tow around as well.

flybynight wrote:
seandeville wrote:
If things were that bad...would you even want to live through it?


I'd do my best not to die from it. I owe it to my family to give them the best chance of living. Bad times never last forever . Unless you're dead.


I argue with my husband about this all the time and totally agree with you. His chillingly fatalistic solution to every apocalypse scenario is for all of us to go to sleep and never wake up. I only think he's half-joking :(

_________________
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:53 am 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Posts: 6551
Location: Maine
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 412 times
Ellywick wrote:
Wouldn't it really depend on what happened? I mean, I think there is a difference in what you want/need and how you would go about things depending on if it we're talking about zombie hordes, Mad Maxian criminal gangs with gimps in tow, the economy collapsing, terrible flooding, or a Sharknado.

[snip]

Realistically, we can talk all we want about major moves or ideal, nebulous places, but most of us, super-preppers or not, probably won't be going all "Oregon Trail" with our families unless we absolutely have to.

flybynight wrote:
seandeville wrote:
If things were that bad...would you even want to live through it?


I'd do my best not to die from it. I owe it to my family to give them the best chance of living. Bad times never last forever . Unless you're dead.


I argue with my husband about this all the time and totally agree with you. His chillingly fatalistic solution to every apocalypse scenario is for all of us to go to sleep and never wake up. I only think he's half-joking :(


Good point. The default frame of mind for a lot of preppers is TEOTWAWKI where the only survival scenario is the mythical bug out. Sheltering in isn't nearly as sexy. Certainly there are plausible situations where a bug out makes sense (flooding and fire come to mind). But com'on people, sheltering in place is a much more sensible response to the vast majority of disaster scenarios.

As far as seandeville's question, I think its a fair one and perhaps comes at that default frame of mind from a different angle. The fixation some preppers have on doomsday scenarios (present company excluded, of course :wink:) feeds into that bugout/TEOTWAWKI mentality. But if that's really what one is expecting (and prepping for), it's reasonable to ask whether it's even worth surviving in such a world.

In posing that question, I wonder if perhaps seandeville's real purpose is to redirect some people's thinking towards disaster scenarios that are both much, much more likely and that are more than just merely survivable.

Image

_________________
The Restless Dead http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=80397

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:13 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member

Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm
Posts: 918
Location: Trinity City, Texas
Has thanked: 226 times
Been thanked: 55 times
I'm bugging in unless there's radiation. Then I'll bug out and come back as soon as I can. There's nothing worth nuking upwind of me. I doubt that will happen.

My people, my preps, my friends, and my community are here. I'll fight for them before I become a penniless refugee.

I figure no matter how much you can load in a vehicle you're just about broke as preps go unless you have your own redoubt somewhere to evacuate to.

_________________
Boldly going nowhere


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:51 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1669
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 373 times
seandeville wrote:
flybynight wrote:

You can't bug in ? Just because the stores have only three days supply doesn't mean you should.


You could, but what happens then. Even stored freeze dried food only lasts so long, and unless you live near a stream you will run out of water pretty quick
And can you defend the property? When people get desperate, they start kicking doors in

You can try and forma community around you, but how many of them are going to hold the same ideals? Very few unfortunately

In the hall of fame section there's a lot of good info on various prepping how to's. ( there's a lot of good info just scattered through out the entire site waiting to be found. Don't forget the fiction section. Nothing like preppers writing stories about TEOTWAWKI.
But there is also some accounts by members who have been present when things got bleak.
This is one of my favorites
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16627

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:17 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 2147
Has thanked: 1087 times
Been thanked: 302 times
flybynight wrote:
seandeville wrote:
flybynight wrote:

You can't bug in ? Just because the stores have only three days supply doesn't mean you should.


You could, but what happens then. Even stored freeze dried food only lasts so long, and unless you live near a stream you will run out of water pretty quick
And can you defend the property? When people get desperate, they start kicking doors in

You can try and forma community around you, but how many of them are going to hold the same ideals? Very few unfortunately

In the hall of fame section there's a lot of good info on various prepping how to's. ( there's a lot of good info just scattered through out the entire site waiting to be found. Don't forget the fiction section. Nothing like preppers writing stories about TEOTWAWKI.
But there is also some accounts by members who have been present when things got bleak.
This is one of my favorites
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16627


Right on. Again.

We can prepare for many things. It helps to put a time limit to your preps.

Prepare for 2 weeks? Totally doable. You will be ready for most natural disasters.

Prepare for 3 months? Still doable, but may take more time. But you will be prepared for a Zombie Apocalypse, EMP, or Carrington Event. Prepping is about giving yourself a buffer of resources while you learn to adapt to your new reality. If something that crazy actually happens, there is no going back to the old world. But you CAN adapt. Life stops being worth living for those who REFUSE to adapt. But if you CHOOSE to adapt, you can make life worth living.

Prepare for 1-2 years? Doable, but storage is a challenge, and it likely takes a huge investment of your life. This is not something most people are interested in. However, many people ARE interested in homesteading and sustainable/green living. These are lifestyles which lend themselves to survival in an economic collapse. Even having a garden on your apartment deck or porch will teach you much of what you need to know for longer term survival. Again, you will not be 100% up to speed, but prepping is not about being prepared to maintain your old life post crazy. It is about buying the time to learn and adapt and accept your new reality.

Most people can store up freeze dried food for 2 weeks. When storing for 3+ months, one should look into simple dried foods like rice, beans, oils, and spices. And a way to cook them. When considering food for a year or more, much more though needs to go into it. But don't start with a year. It is daunting. Just start with 2 weeks. Get food, water, medicine, and money squared away for 2 weeks. I'd suggest some defense too, but that is harder in most other countries.

Once you have 2 weeks squared away, go for a month. Then 3 months. Just take your time. It is not about outliving everyone else. It is simply buying enough time to adjust to a new reality. Mental flexibility is your very best prep. Brain research shows those who are mentally willing to embrace whatever is currently going on are far more likely to survive a disaster. When we reject our current reality we expend mental energy and we make dumb decisions while wishing we were in our preferred reality. People can live for weeks with literally nothing, and can live decades with almost nothing. It is all about the right mental attitude. But having some stuff can help that transition.

Having some stuff also keeps you from going out into the chaos to get food/water/medicine right when the chaos starts. That is a very dangerous time. If you can stay sheltered until the chaos becomes more ordered, and you can figure out that order, you stand a much better chance of surviving.

The reality is it does not matter how much freeze dried stuff you have if you have the right mentality. But having a little buys you that transition time and keeps you out of the initial chaos.

_________________
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am
Posts: 3071
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Has thanked: 543 times
Been thanked: 148 times
woodsghost wrote:
flybynight wrote:
seandeville wrote:
flybynight wrote:

You can't bug in ? Just because the stores have only three days supply doesn't mean you should.


You could, but what happens then. Even stored freeze dried food only lasts so long, and unless you live near a stream you will run out of water pretty quick
And can you defend the property? When people get desperate, they start kicking doors in

You can try and forma community around you, but how many of them are going to hold the same ideals? Very few unfortunately

In the hall of fame section there's a lot of good info on various prepping how to's. ( there's a lot of good info just scattered through out the entire site waiting to be found. Don't forget the fiction section. Nothing like preppers writing stories about TEOTWAWKI.
But there is also some accounts by members who have been present when things got bleak.
This is one of my favorites
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16627


Right on. Again.

We can prepare for many things. It helps to put a time limit to your preps.

Prepare for 2 weeks? Totally doable. You will be ready for most natural disasters.

Prepare for 3 months? Still doable, but may take more time. But you will be prepared for a Zombie Apocalypse, EMP, or Carrington Event. Prepping is about giving yourself a buffer of resources while you learn to adapt to your new reality. If something that crazy actually happens, there is no going back to the old world. But you CAN adapt. Life stops being worth living for those who REFUSE to adapt. But if you CHOOSE to adapt, you can make life worth living.

Prepare for 1-2 years? Doable, but storage is a challenge, and it likely takes a huge investment of your life. This is not something most people are interested in. However, many people ARE interested in homesteading and sustainable/green living. These are lifestyles which lend themselves to survival in an economic collapse. Even having a garden on your apartment deck or porch will teach you much of what you need to know for longer term survival. Again, you will not be 100% up to speed, but prepping is not about being prepared to maintain your old life post crazy. It is about buying the time to learn and adapt and accept your new reality.

Most people can store up freeze dried food for 2 weeks. When storing for 3+ months, one should look into simple dried foods like rice, beans, oils, and spices. And a way to cook them. When considering food for a year or more, much more though needs to go into it. But don't start with a year. It is daunting. Just start with 2 weeks. Get food, water, medicine, and money squared away for 2 weeks. I'd suggest some defense too, but that is harder in most other countries.

Once you have 2 weeks squared away, go for a month. Then 3 months. Just take your time. It is not about outliving everyone else. It is simply buying enough time to adjust to a new reality. Mental flexibility is your very best prep. Brain research shows those who are mentally willing to embrace whatever is currently going on are far more likely to survive a disaster. When we reject our current reality we expend mental energy and we make dumb decisions while wishing we were in our preferred reality. People can live for weeks with literally nothing, and can live decades with almost nothing. It is all about the right mental attitude. But having some stuff can help that transition.

Having some stuff also keeps you from going out into the chaos to get food/water/medicine right when the chaos starts. That is a very dangerous time. If you can stay sheltered until the chaos becomes more ordered, and you can figure out that order, you stand a much better chance of surviving.

The reality is it does not matter how much freeze dried stuff you have if you have the right mentality. But having a little buys you that transition time and keeps you out of the initial chaos.


Woods, thank you very much. This is an excellent post. One of the things that it brought to my attention is that I need to double-down on some things that have been eating my lunch.

_________________
Matthew Paul Malloy
Veteran: USAR, USA, IAANG.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:11 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Posts: 2679
Location: Huntington, West Virginia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Ideally things wouldn't be disrupted enough I had to go anywhere. Otherwise I'd go home to the family farm in Appalachian Ohio.

_________________
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19895


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:56 am 
Offline
* * *

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am
Posts: 646
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 17 times
If the dust has all settled I'm going on vacation. I mean, we just had an apocalypse. That takes a lot of energy and causes insane stress. Time for some self care.

_________________
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:44 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1669
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 373 times
yaaaah I'm going to Disneyworld
Image

Image

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:22 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Posts: 3239
Location: Central Cascadia
Has thanked: 134 times
Been thanked: 268 times
I'm going to the grandparents (my) property. It's got a working garden, it's off the beaten path, it's on a hill, it has good food stores, and I have a feeling most the family will go there. Being the oldest and most able grandson I'll be up to me to make sure my family thrives. My grandparents are depression era survivors, they were in Kansas when they hit and know how to get by with very little. It's one of the reasons why they built the house and have it well stocked for lean times.

_________________
JeeperCreeper wrote:
I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:
Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:58 pm 
Offline
* * * *
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm
Posts: 871
Location: Nashville, TN
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 73 times
What about the Isle of Man? Some one mentioned the Applachan (sp?) mountains the US. It would be great to hide in but agriculture is almost non existent in the mountains.


seandeville wrote:
Not many places in the UK. 65 million people, at least half of them trying to surge out of the cities.
Three days of food max due to just in time ordering.
London would collapse within 24 hours due to the lack of social cohesion.

Scotland OK but cold in Winter

I know a place in Devon...but I aint telling :)

_________________
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:46 pm
Posts: 21
Location: Southeastern US
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times
I live in a city. People can't get home from work on Halloween. The highways out of town would jam up and be impassible during any sort of apocalyptic event. I would bug-in and stay put.

_________________
People were once divided into hundreds of groups, but now there are just two: the living and the dead.
Check out my blog: http://www.howtofightzombies.com/
I've just published my first Zombie Novel: Zombie Complex - The Battle for Chattahoochee Run - http://amzn.to/2xMc8KE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:20 pm 
Offline
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am
Posts: 6551
Location: Maine
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 412 times
flybynight wrote:
yaaaah I'm going to Disneyworld
Image


That reminds me; my bug out plan involves going to the upside down. What's a few demogorgons compared to the desperate masses in the apocalypse?

Image

_________________
The Restless Dead http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=80397

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:40 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm
Posts: 2672
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 151 times
majorhavoc wrote:
flybynight wrote:
yaaaah I'm going to Disneyworld
Image


That reminds me; my bug out plan involves going to the upside down. What's a few demogorgons compared to the desperate masses in the apocalypse?

Image


Spoiler Alert! I'm only on Season 1 damn it! LOL! ;) Say no more!

_________________
http://www.legionarms.com

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group