It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Russians 'annex' Alaska!
Shelter in place ~ try to go unnoticed and remain neutral. 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Get the Hell out of Dodge! ~ I've heard Yukon Territory is nice this time of year. 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Actively resist ~ remember the original Red Dawn? I always liked that movie. 65%  65%  [ 13 ]
Actively assist ~ I speak Russian and maybe they let me keep this AK-74 they gave me. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Posts: 964
Location: Possum Kingdom, East Coast
Has thanked: 2295 times
Been thanked: 185 times
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Ignoring the political commentary on modern US media

You begin the thread with, "Ukraine elects" and then conclude that the use of the words "liberal media" is political commentary. Ha. I thought that those two words were combined now in common use and would be easier to explain than saying "corporate media," which rings more true. You introduce the words "modern US" as well, as if these were my thoughts instead of considering the larger worldview based on the ideas of liberty and equality. Your larger error was in suggesting that there are places where dissent "simply does not exist." I DISAGREE. I would argue that it is nearly as much a part of the human condition as the fear of death. I don't know Sid Meier so I cannot comment on whether he programs computer gaming to reflect game theory as it relates to international relations. You can use the world wide web to read now open source CIA reports that conclude the Soviet Union departed Afghanistan after a decade because of political and military reasons vice economic. In the words of Gorbachev, Afghanistan had become a "bleeding wound." Without the political will to continue, Soviet leadership became war weary. This is not to say they did not continue their other political aims, war being by its very nature: political.

Hopefully, you see this as continued discussion. I understand the intent of monitoring speech here but to call it a "Forum" and then say that "politics" is off limits is quite comical to me. It would be like inviting someone to a pool for the afternoon and going in, and under, and moving to and fro without interfering (much) with the other swimmers only to be censored later for saying the word "water."

The words "dissent" and "forum" insist upon themselves.

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:52 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3757
Has thanked: 1549 times
Been thanked: 470 times
nameless stats even include a special bucket for non-voters :mrgreen:

16 voted in the poll

52,610 - 16 = 52,594 ZS members who did not vote :crazy:

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Red River Valley
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 148 times
Teo, I love you! :clap:

_________________
"A man can get much further with a kind word and a gun together than he can with a kind word or a gun alone."
attributed to Al Capone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:57 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Posts: 964
Location: Possum Kingdom, East Coast
Has thanked: 2295 times
Been thanked: 185 times
Voting is a political act!

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:01 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Red River Valley
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 148 times
:clap:
Asymetryczna wrote:
Voting is a political act!

_________________
"A man can get much further with a kind word and a gun together than he can with a kind word or a gun alone."
attributed to Al Capone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 am 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3757
Has thanked: 1549 times
Been thanked: 470 times
Asymetryczna wrote:
Voting is a political act!


Another form of comprehensive political exposure?

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:55 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11348
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 574 times
raptor wrote:
flybynight wrote:
So what changed since 1940? All those European countries that the Axis powers conquered had active resistance fighters for years . Resistance isn't about confronting the enemy. It's the shot in the dark, The sabotage of train tracks. The radio call reporting troop movements. It's not a run to battle so much as a walk to ambush.



Good point. There is logic to retreating to live and fight another day. Resistance is not futile, it is vital.

Still, to use the Red Dawn movie analogy in the scene where the commie steps on the dead man's hand and takes his pistol away; I think based upon my personality; I am more like to be the guy on the ground. :roll:


Somehow I have gone from being C Thomas Howell, to Patrick Swayze, to Powers Boothe and now to Ben Johnson. :lol:

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:37 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1674
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 373 times
Stercutus wrote:
raptor wrote:
flybynight wrote:
So what changed since 1940? All those European countries that the Axis powers conquered had active resistance fighters for years . Resistance isn't about confronting the enemy. It's the shot in the dark, The sabotage of train tracks. The radio call reporting troop movements. It's not a run to battle so much as a walk to ambush.



Good point. There is logic to retreating to live and fight another day. Resistance is not futile, it is vital.

Still, to use the Red Dawn movie analogy in the scene where the commie steps on the dead man's hand and takes his pistol away; I think based upon my personality; I am more like to be the guy on the ground. :roll:


Somehow I have gone from being C Thomas Howell, to Patrick Swayze, to Powers Boothe and now to Ben Johnson. :lol:

This is true for a lot of us. But at one time it wasn't all rabbits and raincoats

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:05 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3757
Has thanked: 1549 times
Been thanked: 470 times
Stercutus wrote:
Somehow I have gone from being C Thomas Howell, to Patrick Swayze, to Powers Boothe and now to Ben Johnson. :lol:


Dude, looking good!

Image

Image

Image

Image

_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Last edited by teotwaki on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:21 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Posts: 3757
Has thanked: 1549 times
Been thanked: 470 times
Just a little more thread drift....

The tanks and helos of Red Dawn


_________________
Most of my adventures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Introduction With Pictures: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=79019" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Graduated with honors from kit porn university


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:08 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Red River Valley
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 148 times
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I love how this thread went from how to fight off a hypothetical Russian invasion to what to do if you find an old government supply cache. :lol:

On topic, I live in Texas and given the high number of gun owners in my state, any kind of invasion be it foreign or domestic would be met with a large amount of force. Especially in the rural areas.

There's a saying here in Texas about the population and how many of us are armed. Last version I heard was 30 million Texans and about 26 million or so are armed. Wouldn't be too hard to find a bunch of heavily armed country boys looking for an excuse to fight in my AO. Hell, all it'd take is one post on Facebook and one could raise a small army to fight the invaders.

That said, I have no fantasies about my ability to fight back against an invasion. I know I'd be dead within the first wave or two, but I'd owe it to my family to resist as long as I could so they could get to a safer area. Sure I'd be dead, but I'd at least hope I could take a few of the invaders with me when I died.


Here ya' go Chimpov, saw this the other day and I thought of you. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cFtSPIF4Q

_________________
"A man can get much further with a kind word and a gun together than he can with a kind word or a gun alone."
attributed to Al Capone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:57 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 7302
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 117 times
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I love how this thread went from how to fight off a hypothetical Russian invasion to what to do if you find an old government supply cache. :lol:

On topic, I live in Texas and given the high number of gun owners in my state, any kind of invasion be it foreign or domestic would be met with a large amount of force. Especially in the rural areas.

There's a saying here in Texas about the population and how many of us are armed. Last version I heard was 30 million Texans and about 26 million or so are armed. Wouldn't be too hard to find a bunch of heavily armed country boys looking for an excuse to fight in my AO. Hell, all it'd take is one post on Facebook and one could raise a small army to fight the invaders.

That said, I have no fantasies about my ability to fight back against an invasion. I know I'd be dead within the first wave or two, but I'd owe it to my family to resist as long as I could so they could get to a safer area. Sure I'd be dead, but I'd at least hope I could take a few of the invaders with me when I died.


Here ya' go Chimpov, saw this the other day and I thought of you. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cFtSPIF4Q


Thanks, Hiro. That was pretty neat.

Dude reminds me of my high school auto shop teacher. :lol:

_________________
Writer of "October Rising"
"Looking Forward, Looking Back"
"Looking Homeward"

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:10 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Red River Valley
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 148 times
Yup~ moving to Texoma has introduced me to Red Dirt music- Ironically, that's what Corb Lund (Alberta) and Slaid Cleeves (Maine) are considered- Texas / Oklahoma Red Dirt artists. :lol:

_________________
"A man can get much further with a kind word and a gun together than he can with a kind word or a gun alone."
attributed to Al Capone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:15 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 7302
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 117 times
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Yup~ moving to Texoma has introduced me to Red Dirt music- Ironically, that's what Corb Lund (Alberta) and Slaid Cleeves (Maine) are considered- Texas / Oklahoma Red Dirt artists. :lol:


I was introduced to that musical genre via a band called "The Texas Hippie Coalition". They're like a mix between Pantera and Black Label Society if anyone cares to listen to them.

_________________
Writer of "October Rising"
"Looking Forward, Looking Back"
"Looking Homeward"

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:30 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Red River Valley
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 148 times
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Yup~ moving to Texoma has introduced me to Red Dirt music- Ironically, that's what Corb Lund (Alberta) and Slaid Cleeves (Maine) are considered- Texas / Oklahoma Red Dirt artists. :lol:


I was introduced to that musical genre via a band called "The Texas Hippie Coalition". They're like a mix between Pantera and Black Label Society if anyone cares to listen to them.


I think the best definition for RedDirt is: well, your country- but there ain't no way you'll make it in Nashville ~ so move to Austin and call yourself a RedDirt singer. :clap:

_________________
"A man can get much further with a kind word and a gun together than he can with a kind word or a gun alone."
attributed to Al Capone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:36 pm 
Offline
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Posts: 7302
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 117 times
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Yup~ moving to Texoma has introduced me to Red Dirt music- Ironically, that's what Corb Lund (Alberta) and Slaid Cleeves (Maine) are considered- Texas / Oklahoma Red Dirt artists. :lol:


I was introduced to that musical genre via a band called "The Texas Hippie Coalition". They're like a mix between Pantera and Black Label Society if anyone cares to listen to them.


I think the best definition for RedDirt is: well, your country- but there ain't no way you'll make it in Nashville ~ so move to Austin and call yourself a RedDirt singer. :clap:


That or you move to Odessa and sing in a series of seedy bars, each one more unwelcoming than the last, until the oilfield companies start hiring again and you forget your dreams of fame.

_________________
Writer of "October Rising"
"Looking Forward, Looking Back"
"Looking Homeward"

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:07 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1674
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 373 times
ManInBlack316 wrote:
Dabster wrote:
Ummm... Have any of you seen Occupied? It is a Norwegian political thriller TV series with 10 episodes that premiered on TV2 on 5 October 2015.[4] Based on an original idea by Jo Nesbø, the series is directed by Erik Skjoldbjærg and available on Netflix.

Image

It is about a terrible, sleazy and insidious Russian invasion. Very good stuff.

Sorry if it's mentioned but I couldn't find it in this thread.


While I really like that show, I don't think that's similar to the scenario the thread is discussing. Norway (in the show) is a small isolated country that has it's own allies working with the Russians in exchange for gas resources, Alaska is a part of a (currently) large and powerful country that while losses could be expected could actually take the fight back and strike at Russian turf while fighting the invasion.

But as far as showing an active resistance forming in response to malevolent occupation, it's spot on.

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:51 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm
Posts: 656
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Has thanked: 308 times
Been thanked: 66 times
flybynight wrote:
ManInBlack316 wrote:
Dabster wrote:
Ummm... Have any of you seen Occupied? It is a Norwegian political thriller TV series with 10 episodes that premiered on TV2 on 5 October 2015.[4] Based on an original idea by Jo Nesbø, the series is directed by Erik Skjoldbjærg and available on Netflix.

Image

It is about a terrible, sleazy and insidious Russian invasion. Very good stuff.

Sorry if it's mentioned but I couldn't find it in this thread.


While I really like that show, I don't think that's similar to the scenario the thread is discussing. Norway (in the show) is a small isolated country that has it's own allies working with the Russians in exchange for gas resources, Alaska is a part of a (currently) large and powerful country that while losses could be expected could actually take the fight back and strike at Russian turf while fighting the invasion.

But as far as showing an active resistance forming in response to malevolent occupation, it's spot on.


That's true, didn't think about that. But I suppose season 2, when it finally comes out, will be much more like this thread :clap:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:04 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Posts: 11348
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 574 times
You mean they will find a weapons cache in Alaska?

_________________
"Big Thanks - I promise to advance your agenda within the secret and omnipotent councils of the Trilateral Commission"

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:36 pm 
Offline
ZS Member
ZS Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:28 pm
Posts: 656
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Has thanked: 308 times
Been thanked: 66 times
Stercutus wrote:
You mean they will find a weapons cache in Alaska?


Hey, they need more weapons from somewhere :awesome: considering all the "allies" are still unwilling to help and the Russians hit some weapons caches of the resistance in season one.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am
Posts: 1674
Has thanked: 242 times
Been thanked: 373 times
Stercutus wrote:
You mean they will find a weapons cache in Alaska?
Probaly more along the lines of Image

Jerv!!!!!

_________________
As of now I bet you got me wrong


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:28 pm 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Red River Valley
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 148 times
I support the Right to Drifting Threads- it's a First Amendment thing, right?

_________________
"A man can get much further with a kind word and a gun together than he can with a kind word or a gun alone."
attributed to Al Capone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:43 am 
Offline
* * * * *

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am
Posts: 4771
Location: In the Middle East, for my sins.
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 169 times
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
I support the Right to Drifting Threads- it's a First Amendment thing, right?

...I'm triggered! :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

_________________
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Remember Crimea?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:08 am 
Offline
* * * * *
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:19 pm
Posts: 2522
Location: Red River Valley
Has thanked: 313 times
Been thanked: 148 times
LowKey wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
I support the Right to Drifting Threads- it's a First Amendment thing, right?

...I'm triggered! :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:


I'm being sarcastic- as usual. But I would argue that this entire website and all other BBS sites are built on the Right to Free Speech guaranteed by The First Amendment. In fact, the whole WWW is built on The First Amendment and I believe that the internet has been the most influential tool in the expansion of Western thought and doctrine since the end of The Cold War. (Read that as American thought and doctrine; because it all stems from The American Revolution- and the reason we call it a revolution and not just a war is because it was a great change in ideology and the advent of a system that was completely new to the world.) Has it been abused by enemies of freedom? Of course, but what hasn't? Remember all those ISIS and Al-Queida videos that they showed on the nightly news with Toyota pick-em-up trucks? That's some free advertising nobody wants!

_________________
"A man can get much further with a kind word and a gun together than he can with a kind word or a gun alone."
attributed to Al Capone


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group