Remember Crimea?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Russians 'annex' Alaska!

Shelter in place ~ try to go unnoticed and remain neutral.
15%
Get the Hell out of Dodge! ~ I've heard Yukon Territory is nice this time of year.
20%
Actively resist ~ remember the original Red Dawn? I always liked that movie.
65%
Actively assist ~ I speak Russian and maybe they let me keep this AK-74 they gave me.
No votes

Total votes: 20

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: Remember Crimea?

Post by LowKey » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:10 pm

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:I support the Right to Drifting Threads- it's a First Amendment thing, right?
...I'm triggered! :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:
I'm being sarcastic- as usual. But I would argue that this entire website and all other BBS sites are built on the Right to Free Speech guaranteed by The First Amendment. In fact, the whole WWW is built on The First Amendment and I believe that the internet has been the most influential tool in the expansion of Western thought and doctrine since the end of The Cold War. (Read that as American thought and doctrine; because it all stems from The American Revolution- and the reason we call it a revolution and not just a war is because it was a great change in ideology and the advent of a system that was completely new to the world.) Has it been abused by enemies of freedom? Of course, but what hasn't? Remember all those ISIS and Al-Queida videos that they showed on the nightly news with Toyota pick-em-up trucks? That's some free advertising nobody wants!
No complaints regarding your post...couldn't agree more.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:15 pm

I'm being sarcastic- as usual. But I would argue that this entire website and all other BBS sites are built on the Right to Free Speech guaranteed by The First Amendment. In fact, the whole WWW is built on The First Amendment and I believe that the internet has been the most influential tool in the expansion of Western thought and doctrine since the end of The Cold War.
:twisted:
Just playing devils advocate -
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote: I'm being sarcastic- as usual. But I would argue that this entire website and all other BBS sites are built on the Right to Free Speech guaranteed by The First Amendment.
This website and others are not built on free speech. They are private entities that ALLOW us to post and play along as long as we follow their rules. Don't agree? Start a Politics thread here. Go start an anti-religion thread at frugals. Tons of other examples. :)
In fact, the whole WWW is built on The First Amendment
I thought it was built on the back of corporate and government infrastructure? But your statement is pretty broad... So, I'll just ask if you've told N Korea that all 40 or so of their websites encompass free speech or the censoring that goes on in other countries in regard to the internet?

Sorry, as a former BBS operator in the 80's and 90's (Pre WWW days) I absolutely HATE that statement, or the fact that people think "Free Speech" exists on private/commercial/govt servers. It Doesn't. Some places may just be more lax in rules or enforcement.

Heck - you want to see just how not free speech places are? Try publishing the DeCSS number. Yup a prime number has been determined to be illegal to publish by the good ol USA. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_prime

Now =- Hows that for thread drift? :awesome:
I believe that the internet has been the most influential tool in the expansion of Western thought and doctrine since the end of The Cold War.
Agreed! :)
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm still looking for the recipe of the soup Stercutus mentioned in this thread ..... who's got it? :v:
Stercutus wrote:Nope, first there was the soup.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:42 pm

I thought it was built on the back of corporate and government infrastructure?
Nonsense Al Gore invented it. :lol:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “What Would You Do?”