It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:02 am 

Tramagedy has strucketh. The beginnings of a PAW like disaster has come.

Luckily you were prepared and were in the pre-first wave fleeing your local city towards your well prepared hideaway. Sadly though you were set upon by well organized thieves laying ambush for you once you were in the countryside. They searched you well and took your vehicle and all of your preps except for the credit card you keep underneath the insole of your shoe for just such an occasion (and anything you may have keistered). You walk two miles and come upon a small gas station in the middle of nowhere. This gas station would be a typical example of whatever small local convenience store you might have in your area.

Using only the convenience store inventory which is still fully stocked what do you purchase to prepare yourself for a foot journey of 75 miles?

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:10 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Food obviously; whatever is light and easy prepare. Nuts, trail mix, beef jerky, PB, bread, stuff like that. At least one can of soup so I'll have a cooking vessel for my improvised stove, see below.

Some bottled water and also a couple of those 1 liter bottles of soda. Not so much for the soda itself but because those are heavier duty PET bottles and will make more durable water containers than what the actual water comes in.

Matches/butane lighters obviously, you can often find some sort of cheap pen knife and even a flashlight in the same area near the checkout. If they have large garbage/leaf bags I'd buy a box of those for shelter building/rain gear. Sometimes these stores have a small shelf/rack devoted to hardware related items; I'd look for duct tape, cordage, spare batteries and possibly a knife of some sort there.

There will almost certainly be a small section devoted to oil and other basic automotive supplies. That's where I'd look for HEET or similar gas line antifreeze. That stuff is almost pure isopropyl alcohol and makes an excellent stove fuel. Then back to the soda section for a few soft drinks beers in aluminum cans. Assuming I can locate a knife or even a razor blade, I can now make an alcohol stove. I'm particularly fond of the doubled walled designs as they serve as their own pot stand and don't require fiberglass insulation to wick the fuel to the burner ports. Most of these stores have a community bulletin board, I'd snag a push pin or two from that; I've found those to be the very best tool to punch the burner ports. Obviously if I can get all the supplies necessary to build/run an alcohol stove, this opens up a lot more food options.

It's a long shot, but I'd check for unscented bleach (maybe in the rest room?) or if they have a small drug store section I'd look for tincture of iodine in addition to basic meds/first aid supplies. With bleach or iodine I can effectively treat water.

Depending on the time of year, sunscreen and insect repellant. Soap and other toiletries.

Spare teeshirts and any other clothing that might be available but at the very least: some kind of hat.

What to carry it all in? Sometimes you can find sports-team themed backpacks in these kinds of stores, but a more likely option will be a couple of those soft sided vinyl cooler bags, the kind with shoulder straps.

ETA: Almost forgot: scratch tickets. After the kind of day I've had, I figure my luck's bound to change. :crazy:

Last edited by majorhavoc on Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:32 am 

Typical convenience store in my area?
In that case I can pretty much fully outfit myself. The only convenience store near me sells firearms, ammo, camping equipment, food (both Mountain House AND heat lamp cooked burritos, ect).

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:12 am 

Stercutus wrote:

Luckily you were prepared and were in the pre-first wave fleeing your local city towards your well prepared hideaway. Sadly though you were set upon by well organized thieves laying ambush for you once you were in the countryside. They searched you well and took your vehicle and all of your preps except for the credit card you keep underneath the insole of your shoe for just such an occasion (and anything you may have keistered). You walk two miles and come upon a small gas station in the middle of nowhere. This gas station would be a typical example of whatever small local convenience store you might have in your area.

Using only the convenience store inventory which is still fully stocked what do you purchase to prepare yourself for a foot journey of 75 miles?

HMMM, you need to work on your tactical awareness..... :clap:

Now I'm off to think this thru!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:14 am 

LowKey wrote:
Typical convenience store in my area?
In that case I can pretty much fully outfit myself. The only convenience store near me sells firearms, ammo, camping equipment, food (both Mountain House AND heat lamp cooked burritos, ect).

Luck you! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:19 am 

I'd lake a hard look at my footwear, and also include seasonal clothing/supplies.
Lightweight food, water storage/purification.
Large trash bags for shelter/carrying stuff think bivy bag.
Any knife/hatchet/improvised weapons.
Road map.
Flashlight, etc.
I wouldn't get any fire making gear, as lights would likely draw unwelcome attention, again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:34 am 

Heatlamp cooked burritos, scratch-offs and Skittles. A man could just bug in there.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:59 pm 

It depends on how far ''out of town" I made it. In town - the basic convenience store fare, Snack packs of nuts, carbs, etc. Bottled water, soda. Plenty of cans of booze to make stoves out of, lighters, etc. Mid "out of town" I'll find the stores that have small shopping sections for folks who dont want to run into town to shop, and I can find plenty there. Truly out of town? Most of them around here, stock hunting supplies up to firearms, clothing and archery equipment.

Note the beer caves in the back....

raptor wrote:
...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:
... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:52 pm 

I have seen a few gas stations that sell firearms. They are not as common as they used to be about 60 years ago but they are still out there. I can't remember the last time I saw one in a "small" convenience store, it's been a while.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:41 am 

Stercutus wrote:
I have seen a few gas stations that sell firearms. They are not as common as they used to be about 60 years ago but they are still out there. I can't remember the last time I saw one in a "small" convenience store, it's been a while.

...but wouldn't it be nice if they became more common once again? :clap:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:02 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

LowKey wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

...but wouldn't it be nice if they became more common once again? :clap:

"Yeah, I'd like to get $40 in gas on pump 3, this bag of Skittles and that Glock 19 y'all have in the display case next to the Zippos." :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:21 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
"Yeah, I'd like to get $40 in gas on pump 3, this bag of Skittles and that Glock 19 y'all have in the display case next to the Zippos." :lol:

You forgot a plasma rifle in say, the 40 watt range.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

majorhavoc wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

You forgot a plasma rifle in say, the 40 watt range.

Damn, I knew I forgot something. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:11 pm 

They don't sell backpacks at any of my convenience stores. So actually carrying anything for 75 miles is gonna be difficult.

2) two litre jugs of anything, that I dump out and fill with water.
Bungie cord set, I use to tie the necks of the bottles so I can carry them over my shoulders.

Any souvenir shirts or anything made of cloth to form into a sack and use with more bungies to carry food. And wrap the bungies for comfort.

Food.
a lighter and flashlight w/ batteries.
Duct tape.
Some of the stores have folders. A knife.
Hat, Sunglasses, sunscreen and bug repellant. [Florida]
Can opener.
The largest can of anything, to turn into a cookpot and carry other stuff in while not cooking.
barsoap, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, shaving kit, TP.
The broom/mop. to get the handle for a hobostick.

I'm Off...

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:47 pm 

I, luckily always prepared for such an occasion, my friends always thought I was nuts for conceal carrying a .22 derringer in my poo shoot. That day it didn't seem so crazy.
I slid the derringiner from natures holster, and took a defensive position.

Stercutus wrote:

Luckily you were prepared and were in the pre-first wave fleeing your local city towards your well prepared hideaway. Sadly though you were set upon by well organized thieves laying ambush for you once you were in the countryside. They searched you well and took your vehicle and all of your preps except for the credit card you keep underneath the insole of your shoe for just such an occasion (and anything you may have keistered).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:56 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

MacWa77ace wrote:
They don't sell backpacks at any of my convenience stores. So actually carrying anything for 75 miles is gonna be difficult.

Bungie cord set, I use to tie the necks of the bottles so I can carry them over my shoulders.

Any souvenir shirts or anything made of cloth to form into a sack and use with more bungies to carry food. And wrap the bungies for comfort.

Food.
Duct tape.
Can opener.
The largest can of anything, to turn into a cookpot and carry other stuff in while not cooking.

I'm Off...

I like your way of approaching this WWYD problem. Thinking beyond the inconvenient convenience store, if you've spent any time at all distance-walking along rural roadways, I can tell you it's f'ing amazing what you find laying around on the shoulder. Cordage, clothing, water containers, and [usually] lighters aren't going to be a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:44 pm 

75 miles - so a 2 day walk, maybe 3 or more depending on terrain and conditions.

A bottle of water - replenishable.
Plasters, preferably blister ones.
3 x dried soup mix
2 lighters
A tin of (whatever food) with ring pull opener
Box of firelighters (take 5, chuck the rest)
Torch and batteries if they have them. (most do)
Any type of string.
Magnet or compass
Bar of chocolate

TOTAL LUXURY

Quite simply, i only need the bottle of water to collect more. I can decide or not to use the tin can to sterilise. It is very likely i can find a thrown away bottle on the way but better to start out with one.

Tin can simply for cooking & sterilising water, first day i can eat the contents.

3x soup, 1 per day or share for more days if i am careful. Can cook in the tin can.

Blister patches preferably but plasters if that is all that is available. If i end up walking in trainer shoes for 75 miles it will feel 150 if half my heel has rubbed to flesh.

Lighters and firelighters for ensuring warmth, food and sterilisation.

String, for hanging items, fixing or making shelter. I can use tree roots, but string is far handier.

May or may not find a cheap compass but I can magnetise a thin metal strip and use it for a rough bearing

Chocolate - Sugar rush, energy and feel good factor.

Condensed list:

A pack of chocolate, torch and a lighter. 75 miles is not far depending on conditions. Take what you think the conditions require, in some cases this may mean take as much as you can feasibly carry.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:35 pm 

I'd get matches, lighters, steel wool, and 9 volt batteries plus a jar of Vaseline and some cotton balls or Q-tips to cover my fire-making needs, along with a couple large tins of Altoids to hold it all.

A brand-new and unused 1 or 2 gallon gas can for water storage, along with a Gatorade bottle to drink out of.

Trash bags and duct tape for shelter, or if I'm lucky a couple of good rain ponchos.

Five or six pairs of socks and a pair of Dr Scholl's inserts for foot care.

A tin of Asprin, a box of band-aids, a tube of Neosporin, a few packs of Pepto pills, some Zantac packs, and a small bottle of baby powder for a rudimentary FAK.

Cliff bars, granola, trail mix, etc, plus two or three Hormel Compleats dinners and some Hot Hands and aluminum foil to warm them up. Plasticware from the deli area to eat with.

A cloth grocery sack to carry everything.

If available: A knife, a pack of hack-saw blades, a flashlight w/ extra batteries.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:00 am 

Just about every gas station around here has a display of cheap knives. Some even have bottom rung multi-tools. A Loves or a full service truck stop will have lots of tools including hack saws.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:32 pm 

Here in the south, I've seen in convience stores some nice displays of pocket knives , I've bought a couple of tactical knives that have become favorites of mine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:31 am 

A phone card.

I'm calling my people for a ride, telling them to bring spare gear, and then we go retrieve my gear.

There's several people I don't save the number in my phone for to force me to keep their numbers memorized. It's bailed me out a few times when something went wrong with my phone or battery.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:40 pm 

MacWa77ace wrote:

Food.
Duct tape.
Can opener.

I'm Off...

I don't see the point of buying a broom or mop for a handle, I'll just use the knife I bought to cut a dead stick I can pick up along the road. If I am walking 75 miles, carrying the gear I purchase I am not carrying deodorant. Maybe after a few days without, the next group of thugs will not get close enough to me to take any of my gear. Same for the shaving kit. I do like your bungie and bottle solution though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:41 pm 

RoneKiln wrote:
A phone card.

I'm calling my people for a ride, telling them to bring spare gear, and then we go retrieve my gear.

There's several people I don't save the number in my phone for to force me to keep their numbers memorized. It's bailed me out a few times when something went wrong with my phone or battery.

This is the winning post right here!