It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:52 pm 

So you wake up like Rick in The Walking Dead and the Zpaw is in progress. You start to get out of the hospital bed only to find that your legs don't work and you can't feel anything below the waist. Your upper body while somewhat weak is good to go. Luckily there is a manual wheelchair next to the bed and you manage to get yourself out of the hospital.You find an Academy sports or similar like store that was for some reason unlooted and open. Now, it's just an outdoor sports store so there are no full auto or specialty items. They have some shotguns, some bolt and lever action rifles, a few pistols and revolvers.
You can take one gun and 2 melee options or 2 guns and one melee option. The choices are limited to what you would normally find in an outdoors store.

So, what will you take? Weight is an issue, as is size and ammo amounts,as is using the item from the chair. If things go south you can't just outrun the zombies. Hills, unpaved areas, and stairs are gonna be a problem. You are pretty much stuck with the chair so take some time to think it through. If you choose poorly well........

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:19 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

A revolver because I think it's important that my mode of transportation and means of defense remain thematically as well as mechanically consistent.

My next stop after the sporting good store? Somewhere that sells kitchen appliances so I can pick up that rotisserie...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:06 pm 

Not to worry.. I wake up most weekends numb from the waist down and my legs won't work. . A little hair of the dog. some coffee and I'll just walk over to Academy .

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:36 am 

A .22lr semi auto rifle that takes detachable box magazines.
A 9mm Glock.
A WW2 entrenching tool with the edges sharpened.

1- Get an oversized metal trash can. Paint the outside gold with black polka-dots.
2- Cut a very narrow view port into it and a 1 inch hole as a firing port.
3- Flip it upside down over myself and the wheelchair, and secure the handles to the wheelchair so that it can't be pulled off without me unsecuring it.
4- Practice saying "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:41 am 

LowKey wrote:
A 9mm Glock.

1- Get an oversized metal trash can. Paint the outside gold with black polka-dots.
3- Flip it upside down over myself and the wheelchair, and secure the handles to the wheelchair so that it can't be pulled off without me unsecuring it.

You forgot your ear plugs.

Might want run over to the drone section and pick out a drone, get some solar cells and slap them on the roof of the can to keep it charged. This plan has real potential.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:32 am 

Stercutus wrote:
LowKey wrote:
A 9mm Glock.

You forgot your ear plugs.

Might want run over to the drone section and pick out a drone, get some solar cells and slap them on the roof of the can to keep it charged. This plan has real potential.

Also keeping an eye out for an electric scooter laying about.
Paint it orange with the dixie flag, and scream "I got my rebel" as you blare the opening bars of "Dixie" whilst jumping the scooter over a crowd of zombies. :clap:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:37 am 

Can I get a Hodor at the sporting goods store?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:46 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

This thread went full nerd real quick.

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:23 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well shit, in all seriousness I'll take a lever action rifle, a pistol, and a decently sized knife. OP stated that the store didn't have any semi autos, or I would have opted for an AR15 or something similar.
I might steal this kid's idea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Instantly being thrust into a paraplegia type situation with no experience during the ZPAC will def be tough... toileting and transfers will be the two biggest things (gonna need diaper briefs especially without colostomy/catheter stuff).

Anyways, I'd take a handgun in 9mm with extended mags... uncreatively the Glock 19 would do well (I don't like Glocks but what ya gonna do). And a Ruger Blackhawk in 44 mag with a 6 inch barrel for those long range shots. For melee I'd make some kind of spear from a hockey stick and knife. Thrusting will be easier in a chair than swinging/slashing.

But I might try to find a go cart and use sticks to run the gas/brake... sporting good stores sell those bad boys

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:40 pm 

My turn
1. 22lr revolver
2. A wood cane, helpful to get me unstuck and push and pull things far away
3. Coach gun. I mean it was kinda designed for sitting and shooting (it's in the name)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

First I'd check myself for ticks in case that's the source of the paralysis. Who knows. Maybe I'll be lucky.

I'd probably find a neighborhood with pier and beam housing and live under the houses. I'd low crawl out at night looking for food like a raccoon.

I guess I'd get a big serviceable knife that can pry and chisel, a .22 auto loading pistol and all the mags I could find for it, a 10-n-1 screwdriver, a lifestraw, a blanket, and a first aid kit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:00 am 

I don't think I'd leave.

I'm not familiar with this specific store, but I did a quick Google search, and it looks equivalent to several stores in my area that would have lots of bottled water and freeze dried meals. If anyone is alive in the area, it won't be long till they come by looking for gear and supplies. If nobody is alive in the area, I won't live long on my own without my legs working. If it comes to a fight I'll take more zombies out from a well stocked static position than trying to run around in a wheel chair.

I can also maintain records of what I'm using in the store so I can properly pay my bill should civilization roll back in to clean things up. Just cause my town turned into a zombie apocalypse does not mean the whole world did. A lot of examples have been given on this site of people in disaster areas acting like it was the end times and being prosecuted after things settled down. I think being able to point to clear documentation of what I used would go a long way towards defending myself from charges of looting.

While in the store or exploring nearby I think I would want to maintain two handguns and a machette.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:24 pm 
BANNED

forget it. Find some sedatives, tie a couple of plastic bags over your head and save yourself the agony. 99% wont last a year if shtf, due to diseases, fire, fighting, starvation, dehydration, even without zombies and being in the best of health (to start with) Legless, you're done the first week.