It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:40 am 

I was refered to this forum as the proper place to ask this question.

"If you are keen to discuss outbreaks of civil violence/banana republic style street clashes please feel free to create a WWYD thread around some generic example of civil unrest."

So for the sake of some sort of political correctness that I do not fully grasp:

Once apon a time, In a far off parallel universe:

I was wondering if any one feels that there may be any fall out from next weeks election?

Myself, I have a slight concern that the nefarious nonspecific hackers will attempt to disrupt the Grid and
Communications. I am going to a do a general top off of supplys, in the same orderly fashion I would get ready for a hurricane.

" The 'bricoleur' is adept at performing a large number of diverse tasks; but, unlike the engineer, he does not subordinate each of them to the availability of raw materials and tools conceived and procured for the purpose of the project." Claude Lévi-Strauss

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:23 pm 

I think it's likely that no matter who wins in there will be relatively small acts of violence and civil unrest. Personally I think I will be pretty insulated from the fallout of any such acts. I'm talking about within a few weeks of the election.

I think of a few scenarios that are unlikely, but that might lead to more significant violence. I'm going to try to keep from getting political, but it's a touchy subject.

Scenario 1:
Candidate A wins more votes than Candidate B, but fails to get more than 50% due to Candidate C getting a few Electoral votes. The U.S. House of Representatives then elects Candidate B to be POTUS. I think this scenario has potential for widespread protesting and riots. More likely than not this will not happen, but there's a small chance.

Scenario 2: A candidate loses the election, and rightly or wrongly decides to contest it both legally and in the court of public opinion. Certain of the candidate's more insane followers commit acts of terrorism/political violence. This leads to something like another red or brown scare, and things get shittier for all of us in various ways. I think this scenario is more likely than the first scenario, but likely there would only be a couple of acts of terror/politically motivated violence followed by a whole bunch of shouting rather than dozens of terrorist attacks followed by full-blown McCarthyism.

There are probably more scenarios, those are just two that I can think of off the top of my head.

As far as preparing goes I think this could be a reason to make sure you have your stuff in order but I don't think I would take any special measures. Actually, the one special measure I might suggest is the opposite of what we normally want to do as survivalists and that is to largely stop paying attention for a few weeks after the election. Nothing is likely to happen, and if something does happen you won't likely be able to do anything about it. The amount of hate and discontent following the election is likely to be extreme and I figure the chance of it damaging my mental well-being is significantly higher than me suffering some consequence for not paying attention to the news or social media for a little bit.

Hopefully after a few weeks we can all go back to trying to treat each other with respect and compassion rather than as a bunch of horrible troglodytes who have no place in a just and civilized society.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well said, Quazi.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:10 pm 

VOTE. Other than that, Be a little more alert.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:19 pm 

I am thinking almost none, or nothing significant. Certainly no more than the regular execution of the police we have been seeing this year.

Later down the road could be trouble. Americans by and large are mostly reasoned when dealing with internal troubles, at least in the last 80 years or so. When they feel their rights have been violated, their freedoms trampled on and their purse strings getting over tapped then things tend to get ugly. But it is the same everywhere.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:29 pm 

Depends on who wins. If candidate A wins, I expect there to be pockets of short lived violence driven by the candidate B's more ardent supporters against those perceived to be the cause of their leader's defeat. No large scale rioting, but I would stay away from the borders of certain political or ethnic communities. I expect those communities to turn clannish in a real hurry.

If candidate B wins, there will be widespread, but relatively minor, destructive celebration. Think of a Raiders game without enough cops. However, expect race relations to go to h***, and the resulting violence in the months following the election. More small group assaults than pogrom level violence. But, if I were a Mediterranean looking fellow, I would avoid working the night shift alone.

Either way, expect disinformation campaigns and cyber attacks to peak as outside parties attempt to cripple the election through cyber warfare and social engineering. Don't believe anything you can't confirm from unaffiliated sources. Caveat Emptor!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:18 pm 

Close_enough wrote:

Either way, expect disinformation campaigns and cyber attacks to peak as outside parties attempt to cripple the election through cyber warfare and social engineering. Don't believe anything you can't confirm from unaffiliated sources. Caveat Emptor!

That kind of what i'm concerned about. Everyone will be glued to the television set,see 5 minutes of "war of the worlds" and the grid goes down.

" The 'bricoleur' is adept at performing a large number of diverse tasks; but, unlike the engineer, he does not subordinate each of them to the availability of raw materials and tools conceived and procured for the purpose of the project." Claude Lévi-Strauss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:59 am 

bark-eater wrote:

That kind of what i'm concerned about. Everyone will be glued to the television set,see 5 minutes of "war of the worlds" and the grid goes down.

This is the point where I start yelling hyperbole. But, thinking back.on the substation shootup and the internet of things cyberattack, I'm not so sure.

At least my ballot has been mailed it, so any mischief won't affect my vote.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:18 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

bark-eater wrote:
So for the sake of some sort of political correctness that I do not fully grasp:

Ok ...no ...the rule proscribing political discussion on this forum has nothing to do with PC.

There are many discussions about on this rule. The general and overriding reason for No Politics is that it interferes with the candid discussions needed regarding preparing for disasters. It is as simple and complex as that.

I think the vast majority of ZS'ers really like this rule, I know I do.

Back on track.
Having a political discussion while couching it in terms of an alternate universe is still a political discussion.

A discussion about preparations for violence/disruptions/catastrophe is permissible. Discussions about who will start the violence and similar causes are not.

That said the mods are going to review this thread.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

Last edited by raptor on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:19 pm 

Just trying to have a grown up conversation about current events and associated risk assessment.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:57 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

bark-eater wrote:
Just trying to have a grown up conversation about current events and associated risk assessment.

Grown ups conversations are good...because by their definition the grown ups involved will understand that where and when such adult conversations occur (as well as whether or not the conversation is appropriate for the setting) is a very important consideration to others.

That and grown ups generally understand some conversations are best conducted in private.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:00 pm 

In my alternate universe the last time there was a change of power there were lengthy discussions about all the civil unrest that would undoubtedly take place, the terror attacks, the assassination attempts, the rise of fringe groups lurking in the shadows, the subsequent civil unrest that would follow. There was plenty of hyperbole about the fate of the world being up for grabs, the undoubted end of all things if I choose poorly. The FBI in my universe released a lengthy report detailing how certain groups would react when they lost power by blowing things up and killing elected officials.

I prayed and prayed when I pulled that lever to make sure that whatever my choice was it would not lead to the inevitable destruction of everything dear to me. In my world though it was merely the power players trying to manipulate my participation in the process by trying to scare the shit out of me. When later people did come and plant bombs and commit mass murder it was a whole different group of people that the FBI had never even mentioned as being a threat in their reports. There was and is blood in the streets but it had nothing to do with the election.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:06 pm 

Watching the last couple of presidential debates was like watching a pair of chess players getting their pieces in position. Striving against each other, but no real animosity. The current round is more like something out of a documentary on the 50's communist witch hunts or the 60's civil rights movement. A lot of hard feelings going around.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:44 pm 

I'm guessing 2 weeks to one month before everyone gets back to business.

Using this model of humanity, its the shift from depression to hostility that will be susceptible to "Button pushing"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My concern is riots/civil unrest after the election, I think this is possible if either candidate wins. Groups can perceive either candidate winning as either further oppression of their group or confirmation that their actions are just and good, perceptions matter a lot. While I think the chance of widespread riots/civil unrest is hopefully low, best to be prepared (that's why we're here right? :awesome: ).
Be prepared to both not have to go into areas where trouble might be, so have enough bug in supplies that running to the store in the city area can be skipped for a little bit, but also have a plan to leave if it is the area immediately around your home that has the trouble, coordinate with friends on this (if trouble at my house, I go to yours and vice-versa). There's other more specific preps to think about but it all depends on your situation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:32 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Self-appointed election "observers" at the polls challenging the bona fides of voters. Leading to confrontations that in all probability won't go beyond a shouting match. Still, nothing I care to be around. One of about a dozen reasons why I sent in my ballot over two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:34 pm 

raptor wrote:
bark-eater wrote:

Ok ...no ...the rule proscribing political discussion on this forum has nothing to do with PC.

There are many discussions about on this rule. The general and overriding reason for No Politics is that it interferes with the candid discussions needed regarding preparing for disasters. It is as simple and complex as that.

I think the vast majority of ZS'ers really like this rule, I know I do.

Back on track.
Having a political discussion while couching it in terms of an alternate universe is still a political discussion.

A discussion about preparations for violence/disruptions/catastrophe is permissible. Discussions about who will start the violence and similar causes are not.

That said the mods are going to review this thread.

In my alternate universe, we don't have elections. Everyone just calls me The Creator and avidly obeys my every whim without question.

And unicorns fart rainbows, let's don't forget that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:25 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:

With such unlimited power why not simply eliminate flatulence and leave the rainbows to the rain and the sunshine?

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:37 pm 

raptor wrote:

With such unlimited power why not simply eliminate flatulence and leave the rainbows to the rain and the sunshine?

Do not question the will of The Creator, impertinent blasphemer!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:32 pm 

majorhavoc wrote:
Self-appointed election "observers" at the polls challenging the bona fides of voters. Leading to confrontations that in all probability won't go beyond a shouting match. Still, nothing I care to be around. One of about a dozen reasons why I sent in my ballot over two weeks ago.

I saw a blurb about that with a picture of some tattooed well armed tough guys. The scary part comes when the social networking "war" actualizes it self.

I'm not particularly a tough guy, but was out the bar door when some one yelled "Their beating up little Ben". I just acted. When I got to the dark ally I was glad the assailants had disappeared and there was a dozen other guys on my heels. Point being I did didn't even realy know "Ben" and I have no idea who called for help. I got a couple free beers that night for not hesitating.

If the tough guys show up some where, and "They shot Grannie" show's up on the twitterverse, any number of good people are not going to hesitate.

Take a Deep Breath and count to 10 before jumping, seems like prudent advise when your drinking out of the communal punchbowl.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:11 pm 

quazi wrote:
raptor wrote:

These aren't the blasphemers you are looking for. Move along.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:43 pm 

flybynight wrote:
quazi wrote:
raptor wrote:

These aren't the blasphemers you are looking for. Move along.

There is a perfectly logical scientific explanation for that without all this religious mumbo-jumbo:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Some days ZS is better than the Comedy Channel.

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:53 pm 

MPMalloy wrote:
Some days ZS is better than the Comedy Channel.
You're joking right?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next