It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:12 pm 

If I see one of those I assume they are everywhere :oh: . Point is I am not sitting around to make a raft or a spear. Can you imagine those when you are alone at night in calf deep water and all of the sudden the swamp normally a semi-noisy place gets dead quiet. :shock: I want out of the swamp now.

Sure, go ahead and build that raft by the time you are finished it will be dark and you will be alone with who knows how many of these.

woodsghost wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:
When are you gonna have time to make a raft? 50 % of the population are zombies feeding on the other 50 % :shock:
There will be utter bedlam and you have to watch out at all times for these :lol:

Well I"m not sure how a 50/50 situation would look. And if you simply assume 50% of those in any given area are zombies, then it would seem logical that 50% of those folks who currently hang out in swamps would be zombies. Which, given the current number of folks who hang out in swamps, would be pretty small. Swamps are rather unpleasant places to hang out.

And that is a freaky picture. Yes, you would have to look out for them, but I can't imagine there would be very many of them. Maybe within a mile or two of larger LA and FL swamps...or WA swamps...but I suspect not many would make it far beyond the cities?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:55 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
When are you gonna have time to make a raft? 50 % of the population are zombies feeding on the other 50 % :shock:
There will be utter bedlam and you have to watch out at all times for these :lol:

Takes about 1-2 hours to make a raft.
As has been noted, not so many people in swamps these days so it's not as if I've got to deal with a crowd....and if utter bedlam bothers you then I suggest you avoid Black Friday at your local mall. :lol:

One upside to being in a swamp with gators during a zombie uprising....the gators will be eating a lot of the zombies. Better than having a pair of guard dogs! :clap:

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:01 am 

Stoeger 12G tactical 20inch tactical shotgun (6.5lbs) 3" shells
mozzie repellent (DEET) (500g)
Cold Steel SRK (8.2 oz)
2 pounds of shells (slug/buckshot)
hammock and bug netting - 835g

12G shotgun not the most useful thing, but 3" slugs are one of the few things to kill a 18ft croc (who resides in the swamp usually). then whatever weight I have is a lighter load for de-assing the swamp for some higher, drier, safer ground

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:52 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

taipan821 wrote:
Stoeger 12G tactical 20inch tactical shotgun (6.5lbs) 3" shells
mozzie repellent (DEET) (500g)
Cold Steel SRK (8.2 oz)
2 pounds of shells (slug/buckshot)
hammock and bug netting - 835g

12G shotgun not the most useful thing, but 3" slugs are one of the few things to kill a 18ft croc (who resides in the swamp usually). then whatever weight I have is a lighter load for de-assing the swamp for some higher, drier, safer ground

Yeah ... now my comments about swamps and being the apex predator do NOT apply to Australian swamps with 18 foot salt water crocs.

I would want much more than a Ruger 10/22, machete and a hand made spear if I am in that swamp.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:41 pm 

raptor wrote:

Yeah ... now my comments about swamps and being the apex predator do NOT apply to Australian swamps with 18 foot salt water crocs.

I would want much more than a Ruger 10/22, machete and a hand made spear if I am in that swamp.

:rofl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmRexWQhs3M

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:01 pm 

1-2 hours builds this. It does not inspire confidence.

LowKey wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

As has been noted, not so many people in swamps these days so it's not as if I've got to deal with a crowd....and if utter bedlam bothers you then I suggest you avoid Black Friday at your local mall. :lol:

One upside to being in a swamp with gators during a zombie uprising....the gators will be eating a lot of the zombies. Better than having a pair of guard dogs! :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:28 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
1-2 hours builds this. It does not inspire confidence.

LowKey wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

The builder of that raft doesn't inspire confidence.

Build a slightly bigger raft.

Some suggestions on how to build nicer ones....http://www.survivorlibrary.com/library/boy_scout_handbook_1911.pdf

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:58 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

These rafts are made of bamboo which is an excellent and easy raft building materials. It has excellent buoyancy, strength and durability.

Unfortunately in my area there is little natural bamboo. A raft would be time consuming since it would require making a canoe or pirouge.

In my area there are many natural islands which would allow me to wade/swim to the high ground to set up camp.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage