It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:04 pm 

So It's a level 3 Zombie Apocalypse. This means it's 50/50 human to zombie ratio the balance of the war could go either way at this point. You for some reason are stuck in a swamp. You are alone and only have the option of 1 edged weapon and 1 gun. You may run into survivors (could be good, could be bad), zombies, wildlife. Lets say the water level is calf deep. To make this a little diffrent from other polls or books I am allowing anything that can be legally purchased, however, the weight of the edged weapon and the gun and the ammo combined has to be under 10 pounds.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm going with an AR15 and an OKC3 bayonet. Push comes to shove I can always spear them from a tree. :crazy:

Edit: Saw that ammo is included in weight...I'm boned.

Edit Edit: After further thought. I'm still going with my AR15 and OKC3 bayonet. Two mags full of ammo, and I'm leaving the swamp ASAP. :awesome:

Last edited by ManInBlack316 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Since it's a ZPAC and weight, I'd go:

1. FN Five-Seven...1.3 pounds
2. ZombieTools Reaver Cleaver...3.6 pounds
3. Whatever 5.7 ammo weighs (half of 9mm?)

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:21 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

A lot of Deet, a mosquito/bug head netting along with a quality Camillus/cold steel or other 24 inch machete and a stainless steel Ruger 10/22 mounted on a folding stock with a factory supressor, a bunch of CCI ammo and several 30 round magazines.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:39 pm 

I will go with a leaf point spear. This one weighs in at 3 pounds can double as walking stick and I can keep it in front of me and poke around for alligators, snapping turtles, submerged zombies. I can even throw it in a pinch and it can be used for quiet fishing and hunting( the latter is gonna be mainly frogs :| ).
The gun would be a Ruger Single-9 revolver in 22 mag and stainless. Weighs in at under 3 pounds.

The rest in ammo and mosquito netting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:42 pm 

raptor wrote:
A lot of Deet, a mosquito/bug head netting along with a quality Camillus/cold steel or other 24 inch machete and a stainless steel Ruger 10/22 mounted on a folding stock with a factory supressor, a bunch of CCI ammo and several 30 round magazines.

I think you are coming in over 10 pounds with this so you are gonna have to lose an item and I don't mean the mosquito net. :lol:

Nope on second look you are fine. Ruger 10-22 weighs in at under 5 lbs and 24 inch Machete is at 2 lbs. Let's say your suppressor is a pound. That leaves you with 2 lbs for ammo which isnt a lot but better than nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:09 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
raptor wrote:

I think you are coming in over 10 pounds with this so you are gonna have to lose an item and I don't mean the mosquito net. :lol:

Nope on second look you are fine. Ruger 10-22 weighs in at under 5 lbs and 24 inch Machete is at 2 lbs. Let's say your suppressor is a pound. That leaves you with 2 lbs for ammo which isnt a lot but better than nothing.

I'm not sure what kind of 30 round magazines he is using but I don't trust the non-ruger magazines by and large, very few work well. The Ruger 25 round mags are GTG but heavy.

My suppressor weight 9 ounces, although I would go with my Walther MP5 clone that weighs 5.9lbs. After I get rid of the fake suppressor it drops to 4.8lbs, then back up to 5.4lbs with a real suppressor. The mags are lighter too. Otherwise the same setup.

100 rounds of 42gr subs weighs almost exactly one pound. So figure 200 rounds.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:18 pm 

That's all you are gonna take in the swamp? Honestly alligators and snapping turtles would be a problem as you can't hear them coming.

Stercutus wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:
raptor wrote:

I'm not sure what kind of 30 round magazines he is using but I don't trust the non-ruger magazines by and large, very few work well. The Ruger 25 round mags are GTG but heavy.

My suppressor weight 9 ounces, although I would go with my Walther MP5 clone that weighs 5.9lbs. After I get rid of the fake suppressor it drops to 4.8lbs, then back up to 5.4lbs with a real suppressor. The mags are lighter too. Otherwise the same setup.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:34 pm 

I might take my Bear Grylls hatchet too. That should take care of the alligators and occasional cheeky turtles.

The Twizzler wrote:
That's all you are gonna take in the swamp? Honestly alligators and snapping turtles would be a problem as you can't hear them coming.

Stercutus wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:
raptor wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Stercutus wrote:
I might take my Bear Grylls hatchet too. That should take care of the alligators and occasional cheeky turtles.

Hate these cheeky turtles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:52 pm 

Right now I"m thinking an AR with a 12.5 inch pencil barrel and the lightest stock I can find (VERT PDW?). Lightest forend. Micro dot.

Essee 6 or RAT 7.

Ammo. 55 gr.

P-mags.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:21 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Alligators are not normally aggressive. Turtles likewise tend to avoid you. Most snakes likewise are not going to attack unless threatened or cornered. Now a crocodile is a whole other critter but there are not in my AO.

In a LA swamp your most probale threat comes from mosquitoes, gnats, horseflys and other biting insects that BTW carry diseases. They can drive you crazy by biting you 24/7. The bites are easily infected by organics in the water.

Use the machete to make a decent spear out of a tree limb and you are basically the apex predator. There may be some nasty hogs or a black bear but even these will be more than happy to run away.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:50 pm 

I disagree. I mean a snapping turtle is an ambush predator with poor eyesight and in water that is the definition of Opaque your foot goes in there they are gonna bite it. Say goodbye to your toes.
Alligators will take down huge game and that includes humans. Imagine you see this near your ankle
Or while fleeing zombies all of a sudden you are among a group

raptor wrote:
Alligators are not normally aggressive. Turtles likewise tend to avoid you. Most snakes likewise are not going to attack unless threatened or cornered. Now a crocodile is a whole other critter but there are not in my AO.

In a LA swamp your most probale threat comes from mosquitoes, gnats, horseflys and other biting insects that BTW carry diseases. They can drive you crazy by biting you 24/7. The bites are easily infected by organics in the water.

Use the machete to make a decent spear out of a tree limb and you are basically the apex predator. There may be some nasty hogs or a black bear but even these will be more than happy to run away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:54 pm 

Also I know for a fact water moccasins will attack and chase you. I had it happen a couple of times.
Several family dogs met their end to these bastards :vmad:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:15 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

That is why you make a spear. To deal with the critters which did not get the memo and save ammo.
If you cannot kill a snake or alligator with a 5 or 6 ft spear what are you going to do with multiple zombies.

The Twizzler wrote:
Also I know for a fact water moccasins will attack and chase you. I had it happen a couple of times.
Several family dogs met their end to these bastards :vmad:

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:03 am 

More of a fish/ frog gig harpoon than a spear for snakes but the same concept. It would have to be a pretty serious hog that would not run after getting slapped with some bullets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:20 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Swamp swamp, or just a hammock?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:17 am 

Good point. Maybe he meant this:

If it is that I'll swap for a fifth of rum and four shot glasses.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:22 am 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

In both cases the swamp has billions of mosquitoes, gnats, horse flies and other biting insects that are constant companions, 24/7.

There are no where near as many gators, snapping turtles, snakes or critters in general.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:58 am 

OK how about the Kel Tek CMR-30 rifle in .22 mag? Weighs in at 4 lbs empty and loaded mags are 4 oz each according to the NRA article here
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... num-rifle/

And a cold steel viking hand axe weighing in at 18 oz

That means a .22 mag rifle and 19 fully loaded 30 rd mags or I'll ditch a couple of mags and carry 600 rds.

If you count optics in the weight limit then it will be a little less.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:16 pm 

Raptor nailed it.
I'm not worries about gators or turtles.
In calf deep water neither one are going to really sneak up on you, and you're too big to be a meal for the ones small enough to even have a remote chance of concealing themselves in a foot or so of brackish water.

Besides, make yourself a skinny little raft and you won't have your toes in the water to worry about.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:01 pm 

When are you gonna have time to make a raft? 50 % of the population are zombies feeding on the other 50 % :shock:
There will be utter bedlam and you have to watch out at all times for these :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
When are you gonna have time to make a raft? 50 % of the population are zombies feeding on the other 50 % :shock:
There will be utter bedlam and you have to watch out at all times for these :lol:

Well I"m not sure how a 50/50 situation would look. And if you simply assume 50% of those in any given area are zombies, then it would seem logical that 50% of those folks who currently hang out in swamps would be zombies. Which, given the current number of folks who hang out in swamps, would be pretty small. Swamps are rather unpleasant places to hang out.

And that is a freaky picture. Yes, you would have to look out for them, but I can't imagine there would be very many of them. Maybe within a mile or two of larger LA and FL swamps...or WA swamps...but I suspect not many would make it far beyond the cities?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:04 pm 

Marlin guide gun in stainless and a helm forge bush sword :) but I want good pair of knee high waterproof snake boots. Oh and some cool shades for when I save the beautiful swamp maiden from a gator or ZOMBIE