It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:52 pm 

It's a trade off. The protectionism that the firearms industry enjoys in the US keeps the industry afloat locally. I imagine that M14 copy costs about $99 to make in China. If the market were open they would flood the US with them at about $199 and drive as many gun makers as they could out of business.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Stercutus wrote:
It's a trade off. The protectionism that the firearms industry enjoys in the US keeps the industry afloat locally. I imagine that M14 copy costs about $99 to make in China. If the market were open they would flood the US with them at about $199 and drive as many gun makers as they could out of business.

Listen, I only like the Global economy when it works for me... don't be tryna talk logic and stuff

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:57 pm 

Stercutus wrote:

I think it was more of a scandal over improper donations rather than trade protectionism that got Norinco banned.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:01 pm 

mantis wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I think it was more of a scandal over improper donations rather than trade protectionism that got Norinco banned.

In the US our government servants will sell us out in a heartbeat for the right donations. Even so they have to balance out the politics of an issue as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:07 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
mantis wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

In the US our government servants will sell us out in a heartbeat for the right donations. Even so they have to balance out the politics of an issue as well.

Good to know we are not alone in that regard up here! :?

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:07 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Hey now Jeeper,

I never trusted the single shots, never trusted .22's, and loved AKs before they were cool 8-) Yeah, I"m so hiptser right now...

I don't care about you guys and your fancy fast 9mm.... I'm going back to the .45 cuz Elmer Kieth said so!!!

Elmer Kieth didn't shoot .45's ( well peacemaker 45 long colt he did). He was a revolver man in .357, 44 , 41 magnum or hot loaded 44 special. I think you're confusing the caliber choice with Jeff Cooper. He literally bled 1911 Colt .45 acp. Image

Just in aside Skeeter Skelton promoted the .44 special in both single and double action revolvers. Couldn't find a picture of the Skeeter Skelton special. But I found a really cool pic of Skeeter.
Image And lots of pictures of the Keith special #5 Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:35 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

flybynight wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Hey now Jeeper,

I never trusted the single shots, never trusted .22's, and loved AKs before they were cool 8-) Yeah, I"m so hiptser right now...

I don't care about you guys and your fancy fast 9mm.... I'm going back to the .45 cuz Elmer Kieth said so!!!

Elmer Kieth didn't shoot .45's ( well peacemaker 45 long colt he did). He was a revolver man in .357, 44 , 41 magnum or hot loaded 44 special. I think you're confusing the caliber choice with Jeff Cooper. He literally bled 1911 Colt .45 acp. Image

Just in aside Skeeter Skelton promoted the .44 special in both single and double action revolvers. Couldn't find a picture of the Skeeter Skelton special. But I found a really cool pic of Skeeter.

HAHAHA thanks for the quick lesson. I never really read up on much of that. I knew Kieth liked old semi-wadcutters, but I was just throwing out an old school shooter name that popped into my head. I always think of Cooper and the guide gun, and Keith for revolver handloads.

I'm stealing that Seeter picture for a later date

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:42 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
flybynight wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Hey now Jeeper,

HAHAHA thanks for the quick lesson. I never really read up on much of that. I knew Kieth liked old semi-wadcutters, but I was just throwing out an old school shooter name that popped into my head. I always think of Cooper and the guide gun, and Keith for revolver handloads.

I'm stealing that Seeter picture for a later date
Damm, if your dates went like mine used too.. You'd be better off with the #5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:05 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

mantis wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Actually it was smuggling full-auto AKs to American gangs and selling missile tech to Iran that got their trade status revoked.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:04 pm 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Hey now Jeeper,

A hipster would buy a Sharps repro.

That will go nicely with my flannel, my beard, and my Lumberjack Cologne. Made from real, cage free, organic lumberjacks. Available at a small local store. You've probably never heard of it.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:26 am 

mantis wrote:
For $1,000 up here in Canada, you could get a Norinco M14, a few spare mags and around 700 rds of clean milsurp ammo. Unfortunately Norinco firearms are verboten for you.

I got one.
Plus the Ak to go with it.

Got them before the ban.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:10 am 

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
mantis wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Actually it was smuggling full-auto AKs to American gangs and selling missile tech to Iran that got their trade status revoked.

They also offered to sell surface to air missiles to what they thought were US street gangs. Just a company full of 2A freedom seekers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:08 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Circling back to the topic, I was going to post a list of my own but it seemed fairly redundant so I won't bother right now.

It seems there is some general consensus that one needs a serviceable rifle and self defense handgun - nothing earth shattering there. The real question seemed to be that with your remaining ~$200, would you rather have a shotgun or a .22lr rifle (I'd consider a 6" .22lr revolver myself, but folks trended towards rifles) of some kind.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for a .22lr personally. Love the shotgun and all it can do - winged/fast moving game, large and small game with load selection - but given the premise, having piles of cheaper, lighter weight .22lr ammo would be a big plus and with patience and shot placement, could take most anything the shotgun could (don't forget about the rifle for truly large game). A $3 box of .22lr could keep you in squirrel and lil' critters for 2 months or more and weighs nothing. Not so shot for shot with the 12 gauge.

But for the sake of argument/discussion, I'd probably pinch my pennies and get a single shot 12 gauge and a single shot .22 and really have my bases covered. For anything non-hunting related, the handgun/rifle would be the obvious first choices so having a diminished capacity, but greater utility of both calibers would be my choice presuming there was a decent rifle/handgun on hand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Also - I had seen this long ago and thought it was relevant. The youtuber also did quick videos for a $500 budget, $1500 budget and I think $2000 as well. He also limited his focus to 3 buys at each level - a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun.

Can't figure out how to imbed the video, so here's just the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNFonJPmEc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:57 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

00dlez wrote:
Also - I had seen this long ago and thought it was relevant. The youtuber also did quick videos for a $500 budget, $1500 budget and I think $2000 as well. He also limited his focus to 3 buys at each level - a rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun.

Can't figure out how to imbed the video, so here's just the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JNFonJPmEc

If you want to imbed a video, just take the 's' off the 'http' part and it'll show up when you use the YouTube button here.

Like so. :D

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:03 am 

In actuality I would probably go with a cheaper handgun but reliable so maybe a SW Sigma in 9mm. A cheap pump action like Maverick 12 guage, and then something with a little accuracy at range like a remmington 783 in 270 Win. I would buy used and figure this would run me around 600.00 bones. The rest to be spent on ammo and a scope.
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:11 am 

A police turn in glock. less than 400.
A nice pawn shop Remington 700 after hunting season is over.
Spend the rest on a lower and piece it together over a couple of years.

I think the pistol is most important because it should be near or on you always. It should be a good one.
I wouldn't go cheap. That's just my experience. A Glock and a decent rifle will do you good until you get the rest of your sh..stuff...money wired tight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Remington R51
Taurus Curve
Rossi Circuit Judge
.22 zip

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:17 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

One of these @ $499 + $25 transfer fee $425
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... 4-18280261

One of these @$199+ tax = $216
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... type%3DGNU

One of these @ $179 + tax =$195 (it will not need magazines)

Leaving me $162.98 to purchase a used 9mm pistol to stay within the $1000 for firearms.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:11 pm 

I had a HR Pardner Pump in 12 gauge those things weigh about twice as much as an 870 and the metal is a lot like the metal on a Hipoint pistol. Pot Iron maybe. Anyways I sold mine at a loss. It didn't function well. The others I agree with.

raptor wrote:

Leaving me $162.98 to purchase a used 9mm pistol to stay within the $1000 for firearms.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:42 pm 

Quote:

:clap:

You sir, should run for public office.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:20 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

Yep you caught me.

That is why I cannot be a politician. .. when (not if) I cheat and get caught; I fess up. :lol:

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:48 pm 

raptor wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

Yep you caught me.

That is why I cannot be a politician. .. when (not if) I cheat and get caught; I fess up. :lol:

Might want to rethink becoming a accountant also. :clownshoes:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:57 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
I had a HR Pardner Pump in 12 gauge those things weigh about twice as much as an 870 and the metal is a lot like the metal on a Hipoint pistol. Pot Iron maybe. Anyways I sold mine at a loss. It didn't function well. The others I agree with.

raptor wrote:

You sure have problems with shotguns