It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WWYB? - $1000 for guns
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:56 am 

Say you all your guns (if any) were destroyed in horrible boating accident.

You have $1000 in which to buy all the guns (or whatever) you will think you will need for a long term global grid down situation that you believe is going to happen next week. You can spend another $1000 on ammo and accessories.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:26 am 

This http://www.southernohiogun.com/longguns/sks-rifles/chinese-sks-rifle-7-62x39cal.html
This http://www.gunstores.net/items/ItemDetail.aspx?d=oqrTSTlI6wU=&u=&g=&z=wxct4fsQzD8=&item=982
This https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-9mm-semi-auto-surplus-g-vg

And if I can use a few bucks ( $57.00) from the ammo $1000
This http://www.gunstores.net/items/ItemDetail.aspx?d=oqrTSTlI6wU=&u=&g=&z=wxct4fsQzD8=&item=51280

my reasoning for the sks is I wouldn't have to buy mags ( clips are cheap). is a proven deer getter/military/combat. Robust and dirt simple.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:44 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

$1,000 does not buy much these days. Flyby night had the right idea though. I would find as much as I could used.

Ideally for me anyway 2 long arms of the same caliber and using the same magazines and accessories and a concealable pistol in 9mm. I would have to be a damn good shopper to pull that off for less than $1,300 though.

To stay within the $1,000 box I would likely go with a Ruger 10/22, a used 9mm Kel tec leaving me about $600 for a low end AR.

The 10/22 while not ideal can serve as a back up self defense while serving many of the same uses as a shotgun for small critters. I would opt for the concealable 9mm over a full size because there are likely to be times when discrete self defense CCW is required. That and used kwltecs in my area are easy to find sub $200. The trigger sucks but mine goes bang ever time.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:59 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Glock 17 for 400-450 and an inexpensive AR with the remainder. Spend 2/3 to 3/4 of the ammo money on 5.56 and the remainder on 9mm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:48 pm 

Quote:
$1,000 does not buy much these days.

Not sure about that...

I think I would get a

- Ruger 9E $289 unless I can find a Glock .40 trade in for the same price (I see them often for $289)
- New Low end AR $479 (ie. Anderson/ Bear Creek)
- New scoped low end Remington Bolt Gun in .30-06 or .308 $229

I would then get Holsun RDS (or similar) for the AR ($139) and a complete .22 upper ($199). 10 Mags for the AR ($70) The rest would have to go towards ammo.

None of these are really great choices but should get person by a for a few years with little trouble.

If I were feeling lucky at the pawn shops my local pricing (admittedly a buyers market out here) would probably get me:

- An 870 Wingmaster 18" BL, MC, 12 GA, well used but nicely functional ($150)
- A Savage nicely scoped Bolt gun .30-06 with bipod ($250)
- A DPMS AR with RDS and a near shot out barrel ($300)
- Ruger 9E ($289)

Slap a new barrel in the DPMS, get a .22lr upper and swap out a few parts and call it good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:33 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:
$1,000 does not buy much these days.

Not sure about that...

I think I would get a

- Ruger 9E $289 unless I can find a Glock .40 trade in for the same price (I see them often for $289)
- New Low end AR $479 (ie. Anderson/ Bear Creek)
- New scoped low end Remington Bolt Gun in .30-06 or .308 $229

Do not forget sales tax $997 even at a low 6% that is another $60. :clownshoes:

If you buy them used from a non-dealer at least in LA,TX & MS sales tax is not due for such "incidental" sales, but you may to pay the FFL transfer fee.

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:50 pm 

You guys have much better used prices in your areas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:03 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

1. EAA SAR B6P (CZ75 clone) - $250
2. Mossberg 88 12 gauge - $200
3. PSA AR15 build - $450

Total: $900

extra $100: tax and extras

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:01 pm 

generic answer:
polymer framed handgun,
best AR that can be built with what is left.

Aimpoint PRO and a decent flashlight for the AR, rest of accessory budget in 9mm and 5.56.

.22 is a "nice to have" but even without imaginary budget restraints the actual return on investment is quite far out for me as far as any kind of training/plinker use, and short of the smallest critters (which you can trap) I think survival hunting is better accomplished with carefully selected 5.56 or 9mm. Compromising on the "need to have" handgun/carbine for a .22 is false economy in my book.

Long answer:
LEO trade-in glock was how I got in the game cheap, but 9mm LEO glocks seem to have disappeared. If i had to start from scratch I would do more thorough research to go the best-value route for a RDS equipped handgun. With all the new options on the market I don't claim to know what that is at all.

If the handgun could be found cheap enough I would probably try for a bare-bones BCM AR build (cheapest 14.5-16" midlength available, bargain lower build) but chances are I would be pushed into a PSA build to stay in budget.

used optics (some kind of RMR/deltapoint for the handgun, some kind of Aimpoint for the carbine) would set me back MINIMUM $600, and that is with many months of careful eBay/craigslist scouring, $800 is probably more realistic. Best value AA weaponlight I can find and a hoseclamp, DIY sling for pennies round out the AR, $50 covers holster setup for the handgun, and that probably sucked the accessory budget dry.

In the old days I would (and did) go the AK route so as to put more money toward optics, ammo and armor but these days I can't see a surplus deal that makes dollars and sense unless you just HAVE to have a soviet weapon for reasons other then budget.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:36 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
3. PSA AR15 build - $450

I would drop the pump gun, even though its a good idea, its just not a combat weapon so having a pump action is not worth the cost.
A CHEAP used single does a good enough job hunting. $100 at most. You might not even need or want a 12g.

Since its the PAW you have two options.
Buy 1000 bucks in ammo or buy reloading tools and supplies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:10 pm 

MacAttack wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
3. PSA AR15 build - $450

I would drop the pump gun, even though its a good idea, its just not a combat weapon so having a pump action is not worth the cost.
A CHEAP used single does a good enough job hunting. $100 at most. You might not even need or want a 12g.

Since its the PAW you have two options.
Buy 1000 bucks in ammo or buy reloading tools and supplies.

OH WAIT. The accident took out my ammo too? Just how big was this boat? And why would I have dug up my cache's to put on a boat?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:49 pm 

" You can spend another $1000 on ammo and accessories."

Follow along.

You had all your ammo and junk with you when the boat went down.
I told you it would not all fit in a canoe.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:12 pm 

A thousand dollars buys a ticket to another country and with some spare change for a room. I grow a mustache, disappear, and start my new life as Floyd Havershack. I will weasel my way into a position of trust with the local constabulary.

Last edited by The Twizzler on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:16 pm 

MacAttack wrote:

Follow along.

My Mistake I thought this was like NEW to me type ammo to ADD to existing. Plus after I thought about it I would actually have several thousand other dollars since some of those firearms I lost would be covered with insurance. Since I have advance notice of the impending grid loss. I'm probably going to buy better firearms, more ammo and either lots of generator/batteries/solar chargers. or material to build faradays.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:18 pm 

MacAttack wrote:

Follow along.

Why do think it sank anyway?

Quote:
You might not even need or want a 12g.

12G ammo is just about everywhere though kind of making it the more sensible choice. Even Max was able to find some shells decades into the PAW.

I go back and forth on the desire for a shotgun at all myself. With shot it can be a great small game getter and a single will do just about everything a pump can except get two rabbits or birds right after the other. If hunting is not part of your plan it drops down a bit on importance level.

A pump shotgun is flexible and can fill in as an HD weapon but a single will not play that role well at all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:47 pm 

Paid $435 (including transfer fee) for my WASR maybe 12 months ago. Not sure what they are now.

I'd consider a S&W Model 10 for ~$200 or Model 64 for ~$300. But if going as high as $300, then maybe a polymer framed semi in 9mm for ~$350-~$400.

Chi-com chest rig. 4 cell.

5-6 steel surplus mags for the AK.

Put the rest into ammo and a few spare parts. An extractor (and spring), a case head extractor, a firing pin, and a firing pin retaining pin.

One thing I am still trying to figure out is if an optic would be worth it for night time use in a PAW. I suspect so. The Armson OEG sights (with tritium insert) have caught my eye as being interesting options for PAW optics. Otherwise, I"m really not sure what, if any, optic I would choose for a PAW, given the stated budget.

Optics I'm considering would be $250-75 for optic and mount.

So.....

Chest rig + 5 mags + spare parts + Model 10 + WASR + optics = ~$800 -to- ~$850. So $1150 left over.

$1150 in ammo. Maybe $100 in .38 and $1050 in 7.62x39.

Dang, need a holster and web gear too.....

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:15 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
MacAttack wrote:

Follow along.

Why can't I dive down and retrieve my stuff? It probably would make more sense to use the two grand on retrieving the good stuff I lost rather than new to me stuff that might turn up questionable? Although if I can retrieve my stuff on the cheap I could then buy more stuff. Who's the owner of this boat anyway? I wanna talk to his insurance agent ( or rather my lawyer does) . I have emotional distress too !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:17 pm 

flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
MacAttack wrote:

Follow along.

Why can't I dive down and retrieve my stuff? It probably would make more sense to use the two grand on retrieving the good stuff I lost rather than new to me stuff that might turn up questionable? Although if I can retrieve my stuff on the cheap I could then buy more stuff. Who's the owner of this boat anyway? I wanna talk to his insurance agent ( or rather my lawyer does) . I have emotional distress too !

If you can get your lawsuit settled in a six days and buy your guns in one you should be set.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

MacAttack wrote:

I half agree. Every few years, a new philosophy of the gun emerges on the interwebs. You remember how popular the single shot shotties were a few years ago to survivalists? How everyone relied on .22s until the ammo dried up? How everyone and their mom needs an AR now? How AKs were king and now they are junk?

The market and ideology changes. I happen to like the traditional stuff and not the fads. I love pump shotguns. I'm comfortable with them and find them useful across the board for many reasons.

For any realistic risk assessment in my life, I might take my Mossberg 500 over an AR15 if I need a Jack-of-all-trades.

But that's just me....

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 am 

Hey now Jeeper,

I never trusted the single shots, never trusted .22's, and loved AKs before they were cool 8-) Yeah, I"m so hiptser right now...

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:40 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

woodsghost wrote:
Hey now Jeeper,

I never trusted the single shots, never trusted .22's, and loved AKs before they were cool 8-) Yeah, I"m so hiptser right now...

I don't care about you guys and your fancy fast 9mm.... I'm going back to the .45 cuz Elmer Kieth said so!!!

zero11010 wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:08 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

woodsghost wrote:
Hey now Jeeper,

A hipster would buy a Sharps repro.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:57 pm 

For $1,000 up here in Canada, you could get a Norinco M14, a few spare mags and around 700 rds of clean milsurp ammo. Unfortunately Norinco firearms are verboten for you.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:27 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

mantis wrote:
For $1,000 up here in Canada, you could get a Norinco M14, a few spare mags and around 700 rds of clean milsurp ammo. Unfortunately Norinco firearms are verboten for you.

Mutter, mutter, mutter ... envious statement ... mutter, mutter,mutter ... statement of resigned envy and something about the grass being greener elsewhere. :wink:

ImageImageImage