It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Okay, we did it with tanks now choose your APC
US M113- light so good MPG but lightly armored and topheavy 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
US Stryker- well protected but heavy so may run out of fuel 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
UK Warrior- Fast and well armored but only carries 7 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
German Boxer- well protected but light on offense and complex 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Russian BTR 80- amphibious and well armored including NBC only holds seven and soldiers have to exit from the side 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Israeli Namer- based on a Merkava frame it uses tank treads and is the most heavily armored, but fuel is an issue. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chinese WZ551- can carry 11 soldiers but offensive weaponry isn't great and its uses old technology. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 am 

LowKey wrote:

Jungles of the wet sort tend to swallow the APCs on a regular basis.
Forests limit their mobility, line of sight, and present a whole lot more concealment for ambushes against them.

remarkably that was the general attitude of people when Australia deployed Centurion tanks to vietnam. remarkably the easiest solution for all of those problems was for the lead tank to have a 20pdr canister round up the spout at all times.

"we're being fired upon but we can't see *BOOM* now we can see everything!" Also nothing is more scary then an armoured vehicle crashing through the jungle at speed.

In addition during 1999-2012 Australia has been operating APCs in jungle environments in East Timor. you just have to have an APC that can swim and is small enough.

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 pm 

While America hasn't ever embraced the jungle tank they did deploy these to Vietnam.
M50 Ontos- It means Thing in Greek, carried six 106 mm recoilless rifle and a 30 cal MG. As it only weighed 10 tons initially it could be brought in by air. It was a tank killer in a war where there were no opposing tanks. The Marines loved them as they were very mobile and used the new Flechette rounds. You could fire all six guns in rapid succesion throwing out thousands of felchettes. Only problem was it could only carry 18 rounds and the loader had to get out of the vehicle to reload.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:59 pm 

Which APC's do they use in East Timor? Also what tank is Australia currently using and are both the same as New Zealand. We don't hear a lot of info about that part of the world. I just assumed you used Kamikaze Drones piloted by Koalas.

taipan821 wrote:
LowKey wrote:

Jungles of the wet sort tend to swallow the APCs on a regular basis.
Forests limit their mobility, line of sight, and present a whole lot more concealment for ambushes against them.

remarkably that was the general attitude of people when Australia deployed Centurion tanks to vietnam. remarkably the easiest solution for all of those problems was for the lead tank to have a 20pdr canister round up the spout at all times.

"we're being fired upon but we can't see *BOOM* now we can see everything!" Also nothing is more scary then an armoured vehicle crashing through the jungle at speed.

In addition during 1999-2012 Australia has been operating APCs in jungle environments in East Timor. you just have to have an APC that can swim and is small enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:28 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
Yea I debated on whether to include the Cv90/40 or the Namer. I choose the Namer as it has seen combat and outside of scandanavia the Cv90/40 isn't used by other countries to my knowledge while the Namer has been bought by some South American countries. Fun fact about the CV90/40 the 40mm Bofurs gun is installed upside down on the vehicle.
CV90/40-can carry 8 soldiers, 40mm bofurs cannon is very simmilar to WW2 German 43 Flak gun, also has a 7.62 mg, and 6 grenade lauchers that can fire smoke grrnades or anti personell grenades, weighs in at 35 tons.

Apathy wrote:
the m113 err Gavin is the best ifv/apc/tank/airplane ever. And anyone who disagrees with me is a narcissist!

Why no CV90/40?

The CV 90 has seen combat in Afghanistan, both in Norwegian and Danish service. The CV 90/30NF1 would me by choice, mainly for the mobility in soft terrain.

Sent fra min SM-T710 via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:45 am 

I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :D . Any knowledge on how the Bofurs cannon performed? It kinda reminded me of the ill fated anti air US army Alvin York from the 80's. The guns were sound, but the radar suite was garbage. It would sometimes read the barrels as approaching aircraft and the top speed was 35 mph which was quite less than the tanks it was supposed to defend.

Norwegian wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:
Yea I debated on whether to include the Cv90/40 or the Namer. I choose the Namer as it has seen combat and outside of scandanavia the Cv90/40 isn't used by other countries to my knowledge while the Namer has been bought by some South American countries. Fun fact about the CV90/40 the 40mm Bofurs gun is installed upside down on the vehicle.
CV90/40-can carry 8 soldiers, 40mm bofurs cannon is very simmilar to WW2 German 43 Flak gun, also has a 7.62 mg, and 6 grenade lauchers that can fire smoke grrnades or anti personell grenades, weighs in at 35 tons.

Apathy wrote:
the m113 err Gavin is the best ifv/apc/tank/airplane ever. And anyone who disagrees with me is a narcissist!

Why no CV90/40?

The CV 90 has seen combat in Afghanistan, both in Norwegian and Danish service. The CV 90/30NF1 would me by choice, mainly for the mobility in soft terrain.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:03 am 

quazi wrote:
Mars Pattern Rhino. I'd be tempted to go with a Chimera, but the Rhino was designed to be easy for one person to operate. Plus you just can't beat that STC design.

I'll take their land raider over the rhino. Preferably with the AI upgrade to help with piloting. :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:24 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info :D . Any knowledge on how the Bofurs cannon performed? It kinda reminded me of the ill fated anti air US army Alvin York from the 80's. The guns were sound, but the radar suite was garbage. It would sometimes read the barrels as approaching aircraft and the top speed was 35 mph which was quite less than the tanks it was supposed to defend.

Norwegian wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

Apathy wrote:

Why no CV90/40?

No idea :( I read your comment that it had not seen combat, but remember it had as it was in the news quite a bit when the driver was killed when a norwegian one hit an IED som years ago, so I googled it. Wikipedia has some good info.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:47 am 

Whichever one has best comms/netwarfare gear and sensors.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:08 am 

In a PAW- fuel will be an issue for any gas/petrol engine. It's a little less of an issue with diesel (I've explained my views on this in other threads.)

Troop capacity: exactly how many people do you plan to field? Every soldier is an extra mouth you have to prep for. I also think you will be hard pressed to find 7 capable warriors to field in an APC before the gas and diesel currently in existence runs out.

As crazy as this sounds, if something happened right now that put us in a PAW- I think steam punk would become a reality.

My vote is a cast iron, steam powered ATV.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:16 am 

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
In a PAW- fuel will be an issue for any gas/petrol engine. It's a little less of an issue with diesel (I've explained my views on this in other threads.)

Troop capacity: exactly how many people do you plan to field? Every soldier is an extra mouth you have to prep for. I also think you will be hard pressed to find 7 capable warriors to field in an APC before the gas and diesel currently in existence runs out.

As crazy as this sounds, if something happened right now that put us in a PAW- I think steam punk would become a reality.

The OP gave an intro for the scenario. None of it included the PAW, but your concerns are valid within your own context.

I chose the BTR due to it's lighter weight (than some) and amphibious capabilities though I don't like that the gun isn't stabilized OR that it could be mistaken for an enemy vehicle (depending on the belligerents of said conflict.) The big flat bottom likely helps with displacement but would be terrible if struck by a mine/IED.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:26 am 

Boom40mm wrote:
Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:

The OP gave an intro for the scenario. None of it included the PAW, but your concerns are valid within your own context.

I chose the BTR due to it's lighter weight (than some) and amphibious capabilities though I don't like that the gun isn't stabilized OR that it could be mistaken for an enemy vehicle (depending on the belligerents of said conflict.) The big flat bottom likely helps with displacement but would be terrible if struck by a mine/IED.

Goes back and reads OP.

Ah, well, shame on me for assuming we were talking about a PAW scenario on a website dedicated to preparing for a PAW scenario. :mrgreen:

I went with the BTR as well but mostly because of NBC filtration built in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:50 pm 

Boom- yea that version of the BTR ( the most popular version) is deathtrap when it comes to mines. It's probably a little better than the M113 and a lot better than the Chinese APC. The best one out of the bunch for mines is definitely the boxer.

Fun fact (maybe)- I can't prove it but I am pretty sure the German Boxer is the vehicle model they used for the Aliens movie, when they bring the space marines into the nuclear reactor building and then Ripley drives it through a wall on the way out.

Hiroshima- a lot of the other apc units have NBC or at least the N and the C. Mind you, just because the governments that issue apc units to the troops are saying this doesn't make it a sure thing. I would think biologics would be the hardest to protect from.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:43 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:

Fun fact (maybe)- I can't prove it but I am pretty sure the German Boxer is the vehicle model they used for the Aliens movie, when they bring the space marines into the nuclear reactor building and then Ripley drives it through a wall on the way out.

Not even close. :lol:
The Boxer

The fictional M577, and the base vehicle from which it was built...

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_40477-Hunslet-ATT77.html

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:53 am 

An Amphibious Al Fahd, darn things less than 6ft high without a turret.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:53 pm 

M113A2 all the way. Lots of room like the family station wagon. We're fighting the ZPAW not WWIII. Zed ain't climbing up the side of my track.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30558

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 pm 

Can I just boom around in a toyota. At least it has aircon.

https://youtu.be/LC5ld79joIA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:14 am 

There is a saying in the marketing world that goes something like, 'there's no such thing as bad publicity.' The concept being anytime your product is mentioned by someone you didn't pay is a plus- regardless of the context in which the product was mentioned.

But I have often wondered how a Toyota feels about that. :clap:

ETA: (and I hope this isn't inappropriate) did anybody else notice the 'Ethnic European' sitting in the center of the photo next to the cab?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:13 am 

drop bear wrote:
Can I just boom around in a toyota. At least it has aircon.

https://youtu.be/LC5ld79joIA

Seriously, armored Landcrusiers are the shit. And as Top Gear found, you can't kill a HiLux

Oneswunk wrote:
Im going to come up with tactical yam powder... Millions I will make. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:09 pm 

I have no personal experience with armored civilian vehicles, that said I would think a 308 to the radiator is gonna mean you aren't getting far.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:06 am 

A classic is never a bad thing since they are still used in some armies across the world... so ..

I would add the BMP series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMP-1

I liked the very low profile on the 1.