It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Okay, we did it with tanks now choose your APC
US M113- light so good MPG but lightly armored and topheavy 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
US Stryker- well protected but heavy so may run out of fuel 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
UK Warrior- Fast and well armored but only carries 7 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
German Boxer- well protected but light on offense and complex 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Russian BTR 80- amphibious and well armored including NBC only holds seven and soldiers have to exit from the side 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Israeli Namer- based on a Merkava frame it uses tank treads and is the most heavily armored, but fuel is an issue. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Chinese WZ551- can carry 11 soldiers but offensive weaponry isn't great and its uses old technology. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:03 pm 

So I did an earlier poll on your choice for tanks in wartime. Now the question is what APC would you choose in war. You may be deployed to an environment not of your choice; arctic, jungle, dessert, plains, forest, mountains. You may be separated from your unit and have to consider speed, armament, mobility, armor, and lack of resupply. The number of soldiers transported is also an issue as if it is to small you will need to make more trips and therefore be in danger more often. I have picked from what I consider the most likely of choices. Choose wisely my son.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:17 pm 

Mars Pattern Rhino. I'd be tempted to go with a Chimera, but the Rhino was designed to be easy for one person to operate. Plus you just can't beat that STC design.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:27 am 

I'll take a Phase 3 ASLAV, similar to the stryker except it is smaller, has a longer range (410 miles), carries a 25mm bushmaster (720 rounds) and 7.62mm machine gun (1000 rounds) as standard in a 2 man turret, enhanced optics and IED protection. capacity for 6 troops, amphibious, capacity to run in 4x4 or 8x8 with run flat tyres, can travel at 75mph...oh and has aircon for tropical conditions.

And it has good combat history with tours in East Timor, Iraq and Afghanistan

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:38 am 

MI-24 Hind A-10

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well crap, getting my Bradley certification was even worthless in the Zpoc.

I don't know anything about the others except the 113. That I can operate ok.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:23 pm 

If you like the M113, you may like the M577 Command Post Carrier even more. It's a M113 with a raised roof and and attached shelter extension (big ass canvas tent). I got to care for and sometimes live in one for awhile, compliments of Uncle Sam.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:37 pm 

It could be worse you could have been certified in this
German Wiesel-20 mm auto cannon, or Tow Missile and 7.62 MG. Holds 3 people, uses the VW 1.9l diesel (yes the same one in the new bug), and weighs in at 3 tons. Still in use today.

I thought the Bradley was getting fazed out and the stryker was to take both roles?

Bradley-25 MM gun with 200 rounds, coaxial 7.62 mg, 2 Tow missles, and sits at 32 tons

Stryker-50 Caliber M2 machine gun, 7.62 mg, and they are now adding a 30mm Cannon. It weighs in at 20 tons

Zimmy wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:58 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Twizzler wrote:
German Wiesel-20 mm auto cannon, or Tow Missile and 7.62 MG. Holds 3 people, uses the VW 1.9l diesel (yes the same one in the new bug), and weighs in at 3 tons. Still in use today.

I thought the Bradley was getting fazed out and the stryker was to take both roles?

Bradley-25 MM gun with 200 rounds, coaxial 7.62 mg, 2 Tow missles, and sits at 32 tons

Stryker-50 Caliber M2 machine gun, 7.62 mg, and they are now adding a 30mm Cannon. It weighs in at 20 tons

Zimmy wrote:

In '89 I did the limping duffle bag drag to leg land from Italy to Germany. There I instantly had to get adapted to gamma goats and M113s. Three weeks after I got certs, we got Bradleys and retrained all over again just in time for my ETS in '90

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Zimmy wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

Zimmy wrote:

In '89 I did the limping duffle bag drag to leg land from Italy to Germany. There I instantly had to get adapted to gamma goats and M113s. Three weeks after I got certs, we got Bradleys and retrained all over again just in time for my ETS in '90

I am licensed for a gammagoat. Ha! Ha! Ha!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I think I would rather have one of these. Small fast enough. Maneuverable in tight spots like you would find in urban terrain. Lower profile than most others and hard armor not aluminum like the M113 or M577. Tracked vehicles suck too, trying to repair them and very high maintenance to keep them running optimally. The resources for tracked vehicles may not be readily available. You will need a lot of grease, and hope you don't throw a track. I can change out a wheel by myself. You need a crew to repair a track and it usually takes all day, maybe even a recovery vehicle. I remember the tracks breaking down just sitting in the motorpool for a week without driving them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:29 pm 

I picked a Stryker because they look cool and, well, 'Merica.

I had no idea the WZ551 could hold eleven. I have to ask, is there a rotary troop dispenser inside it or do they stack themselves like cord wood?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:13 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

doitnstyle1 wrote:

I think I would rather have one of these. Small fast enough. Maneuverable in tight spots like you would find in urban terrain. Lower profile than most others and hard armor not aluminum like the M113 or M577. Tracked vehicles suck too, trying to repair them and very high maintenance to keep them running optimally. The resources for tracked vehicles may not be readily available. You will need a lot of grease, and hope you don't throw a track. I can change out a wheel by myself. You need a crew to repair a track and it usually takes all day, maybe even a recovery vehicle. I remember the tracks breaking down just sitting in the motorpool for a week without driving them.

I like it. Send me one and I'll give a full review!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:26 pm 

Dabster wrote:

Not American but still cool, Australian light Armour vehicle (ASLAV) during a patrol in Iraq circa 2005.
pity they are getting replaced soon

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:02 pm 

doitnstyle1 wrote:

For a while, these were fairly easily obtained. A friend had one. I got to drive it a bit. Driving wasn't hard but steering was weird. It was also rather/overly cozy: The driver sits between the knees of the commander. It also didn't seem to have any ventilation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:55 pm 

The Stryker is made in Canada but used by the US. So you should say Anada! I just started a trend :rofl: .
The WZ551 has a 25mm cannon, 12.7 MG, 7.62 Mg. It has a crew of three and can carry 9 with the 25 cannon or 11 soldiers without it. It weighs 12.5 tons. It is exported and strangely they export it with a 30 mm cannon but China likes the 25mm.
I hear the white wall tires are all the rage on APC's this year.

It also comes in a four wheel version for those that like to change tires.

Dabster wrote:

I had no idea the WZ551 could hold eleven. I have to ask, is there a rotary troop dispenser inside it or do they stack themselves like cord wood?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:03 pm 

Since I gave pictures for the others...
My choice
UK Warrior- 30mm cannon (being upgraded with a 40mm), 7.62 coaxial mg, weighs in at 25 tons. Fun fact-unlike some others it does not have firing ports on the side. So more armor can be put on the side. (probably a good call)

The upgraded model was sadly retired :(

Last edited by The Twizzler on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:11 pm 

German Boxer- Armament is your choice of 40mm grenade launcher, or 50 MG, or 7.62 Mg. You can only choose one though :shock: . It has a multilevel floor that is very mine resistant. The vehicle is modular so all body sections cann be switched or replaced as needed. It also looks like a door stop.
Always check your mirrors kids.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:20 pm 

Russian BTR 80- 14.5mm mg or 30mm autocannon plus a 7.62 mg. It weighs in at 13 tons and carries 7 passengers.Great NBC protection but it's got firing ports on the side :roll:. Fun fact the main gun is not stabilized.
Next to a Bradley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:29 pm 

Israeli Namer-Let's be real it's a tank without the big gun. Armament includes 50 cal MG or Mark 19 grenade launcher as well as a 7.62 mg. It weighs in at 60 tons :ooh: . Fun facts- because they took out the turret the Namer has more armor than the Merkava tanks it was made from. It's got a V-12 diesel engine.
On the inside look at the space :crazy:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:09 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

the m113 err Gavin is the best ifv/apc/tank/airplane ever. And anyone who disagrees with me is a narcissist!

Why no CV90/40?

Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:37 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Twizzler wrote:
Russian BTR 80- 14.5mm mg or 30mm autocannon plus a 7.62 mg. It weighs in at 13 tons and carries 7 passengers.Great NBC protection but it's got firing ports on the side :roll:. Fun fact the main gun is not stabilized.
Next to a Bradley

Funner fact: Those things aren't built for the 'Merican body frame. Even in my younger years when I weighed much less, get in and out of these was difficult at best. It took me several minutes to get into a T-72. The BTR-80 is not much better.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:20 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
So I did an earlier poll on your choice for tanks in wartime. Now the question is what APC would you choose in war. You may be deployed to an environment not of your choice; arctic, jungle, dessert, plains, forest, mountains. You may be separated from your unit and have to consider speed, armament, mobility, armor, and lack of resupply. The number of soldiers transported is also an issue as if it is to small you will need to make more trips and therefore be in danger more often. I have picked from what I consider the most likely of choices. Choose wisely my son.

Good boots, lots of spare wool socks, and as light a pack as can be managed (ie shiver at night).

A lone APC is just a tin can with meat inside waiting to be stumbled upon by someone with the right can opener.

If you have four of them running together and regular resupply they'd become more viable, especially if they have artillery on call.

BTW, out of the environments you mentioned (arctic, jungle, dessert, plains, forest, mountains) three of them aren't particularly good places for APCs.
Jungles of the wet sort tend to swallow the APCs on a regular basis.
Forests limit their mobility, line of sight, and present a whole lot more concealment for ambushes against them.
Mountains....when you come up with an APC that can do rock climbing or rappel let me know.

Arctic will cause all sorts of mechanical issues due to the cold in the winter, and in the summer they'll likely get mired as things thaw.

Desert and plains? Hunky-dory until you run out of fuel, parts, or ammo.
Or catch a sager from some conscript in a spider hole 400 meters away.

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:24 pm 

Yea I debated on whether to include the Cv90/40 or the Namer. I choose the Namer as it has seen combat and outside of scandanavia the Cv90/40 isn't used by other countries to my knowledge while the Namer has been bought by some South American countries. Fun fact about the CV90/40 the 40mm Bofurs gun is installed upside down on the vehicle.
CV90/40-can carry 8 soldiers, 40mm bofurs cannon is very simmilar to WW2 German 43 Flak gun, also has a 7.62 mg, and 6 grenade lauchers that can fire smoke grrnades or anti personell grenades, weighs in at 35 tons.

Apathy wrote:
the m113 err Gavin is the best ifv/apc/tank/airplane ever. And anyone who disagrees with me is a narcissist!

Why no CV90/40?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:44 pm 

LowKey wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

Good boots, lots of spare wool socks, and as light a pack as can be managed (ie shiver at night).

A lone APC is just a tin can with meat inside waiting to be stumbled upon by someone with the right can opener.

If you have four of them running together and regular resupply they'd become more viable, especially if they have artillery on call.

BTW, out of the environments you mentioned (arctic, jungle, dessert, plains, forest, mountains) three of them aren't particularly good places for APCs.
Jungles of the wet sort tend to swallow the APCs on a regular basis.
Forests limit their mobility, line of sight, and present a whole lot more concealment for ambushes against them.
Mountains....when you come up with an APC that can do rock climbing or rappel let me know.

Arctic will cause all sorts of mechanical issues due to the cold in the winter, and in the summer they'll likely get mired as things thaw.

Desert and plains? Hunky-dory until you run out of fuel, parts, or ammo.
Or catch a sager from some conscript in a spider hole 400 meters away.

1959 Ferret Scout- you will see the grappling hook fired by the turret.