It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:00 pm 

My plan right now is to have one bag I can grab if I have 10 to 60 seconds to get out of the house. I want to be able to leave naked and still be on my feet when I get outside. I also want to be able to travel with this bag so we have something if there is car trouble.

To be clear, I"ll create two food modules, one for traveling, and one for home storage. I"ll create a documents module which I pull out of the bag and leave home when traveling.

Also, I plan on landing at a hotel or friend's house as the BOL, but want some capability to live in the outdoors if necessary.

(If I have between 1 and 5 minuets to leave, I'll grab the INCH/ZOMG bag too)

My plan is to have it set up to handle 48 hours when it is home for both me and my wife (or 96 hours if alone), and 24 hours when we are traveling (together, 48 hours if alone).

The main plan here is to get to a BOL if there is a fire/tornado/flood/...earthquake...

I am planning on housing all this in an ALICE pack, since I have 4 mediums and 1 large. They keep breeding.

Here is my current list. And if you have any advice on documents I should have copies of, let me know!!!

List:

Shelter:
Poncho liner
Sleeping Pad
Candle
Tarp
Bankline
Fire Starter (Bic & Fire Steel)

Documents (paper copies) & Flashdrive:
Car insurance
Renters insurance
Marriage Licence
Resume
Important pictures
Insurance pictures

Clothes:
Coveralls (1x each for me and wife)(Uninsulated)
Socks x4 (x2 for each of us)
Shoes? (old sneakers sound good?) (pair for each of us)
Leather gloves?
Hat-warm (x2)
Bandanna (x2)
Belt x2

Sustance:
Food (Home: MRE-broken down-8000 calories, if home)(Traveling: Cliff bars & granola bars, 2-3000 calories)
Water (1.5-2 liters)
Filter (NDuR water bottle? Advice?)

FAK
Dressing (Izzy or Swat-t? Advice?)
Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Floss
Razor?
Glasses (spare set for me)
Toilet Paper
Bandaids (x6? x10?)
Tylonol (x10)
Ibprofen (x10)
Vaseline
Goldbond
N95 mask? (X2?)
Space Blanket
Nitrile Gloves (x6)

Tools:
Pistol
Holster
Mag (x2 total)
Ammo (~20 rounds)
Cell phone (cheap, top off with minuets, only have emergency contacts)
Extra Battery (for cell phone)
Car Keys (extra sets we don't use, for both cars)
Mora X2
Flashlight
Head lamp (cheapo)
Maps (BOL, travel locations, etc)

Money:
Cash ($500) (smaller bills, $1, $5, & $10)
Credit Card? (Don't even have one. Maybe use pre-paid Visa/MC card? Spare Debit card?)

My goal is to eventually make another bag for my wife, and we can either have duel bags at home, or if one of is traveling, we can take our personal bag.

Whatcha all think? What should I do differently?

I have most of this gear, but a few things are needing to be obtained, and are on the list to get soon.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:33 pm 

You mentioned that you have 5 Alice packs. I'd start setting one up for your wife right away. Have her carry her clothes, more food, water and a set of hygiene/first aid items for her.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:27 pm 

Re-reading my list, I"m realizing I need a little duct tape and body wash. Also need a copy of drivers licence.

My desire is to not be a burden on any friends if we land on their couch.

For the extra cell phone, do y'all think it would be most useful to have a data plan or just leave it at calls/texts?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:42 pm 

If you have a data plan, you could (as long as towers are up) use a scanner radio app to monitor your local situation.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:00 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

For your FAK I'd recommend a SWAT-T over an Izzy because they lends themselves more readily to different uses in my opinion, you can make a TQ out of an Izzy but it's easier with a SWAT-T. I'd suggest having a more robust FAK for trauma, but that's just the past medic in me speaking :crazy:
I'd go for Mechanix or gloves like that over leather for general use.
Pistol is better kept on you than in a bag, keeping spare mags and ammo in addition in the bag isn't a bad idea.
Pre-paid visa card might not be a bad idea, I remember somebody saying they have one and use it at gas stations that they aren't too sure about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:07 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

woodsghost wrote:
Here is my current list. And if you have any advice on documents I should have copies of, let me know!!!

Documents are vital but are easy and light if you put them on a USB stick. I image and keep these on a USB stick. Which BTW is really dangerous if the USB stick gets misplaced. You may want to consider encrypting the data. I do not because I figure if I need the USB the last thing I want to risk is the unencryption software not working, so I accept the risk of loss.

Driver's license
CCW permit
original SS card
passport
vehicle registration & insurance
voter registration
birth certificate
Pet vaccinations
health insurance card

In order to get a job you will need to complete an i-9 at a bare minimum you should have the documents needed to complete an I-9.

http://hr.harvard.edu/files/humanresour ... cument.pdf

The other thing to consider is storing these documents and others on line. A GB of space stores a lot of PDF documents and these days a free 5gb of on line storage is easy. That said you have to weigh the risk of the data being hacked and stolen vs the accessibility.

Honestly with USB sticks being so cheap. I tend to scan absolutely all documents related to insurance, ID and such things. I simply name as the item & year.pdf and save it. i.e. drivers license2016.pdf.

If for instance (God forbid) as a result of a disaster like the BR flooding or a wildfire and you need to get FEMA aid you will need to prove your ID, the fact that you live in the disaster area and your relationship to your family. In this case a lease or other home ownership documents would be vital.

So bear that in mind.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:42 pm 

I don't have a scanner. My phone takes decent pictures. Do you think that would suffice? Pictures of front and back of documents as applicable?

I am planning on having hard copy paper versions of my/wife's DL. If for some reason I literally had 60 seconds or less to get out of the apartment, I"m not sure my wallet would make it. Maybe pictures of debit cards as well? Just to be able to access numbers and expiration dates?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:09 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Pictures in .jpg format work very well IMO. They have the added benefit of being easer to display on your phone. The key drawback is that they normally take up more space on a stick.

BTW you can turn a .jpg into a pdf by pringing it out as a pdf. I am pretty sure this option is now standard with WIndows 10.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:10 pm 

Your EDC documents such as drivers license, credit cards, etc should be in a wallet and when not using that wallet (sleeping at night) you put it in a pocket of your BOB. This was if you have to evac in less than a minute you have it.

The rest of the important documents I keep in a zipper binder in our safe (ss card, birth certificates, diploma, etc). They go with the inch layer if you have the 1-5 minutes to evac then open the safe and get it. If in the < 1 minute you just grab the bob which has the wallet, CCW, etc.

In the binder I have the shared section then a section for each person in the family. I used a report cover for each family member. This way when you need one persons important documents you only take theirs from the safe binder and take to school/doctor/whatever.
In the sections of the binder:
The shared one has things like the marriage license, deeds to the house, land, mortgage listings of bank/utility accounts, receipts/invoices expensive possessions like TV, appliances, etc.
Each personal section is divided into:
Identity:
birth certificate, ss card, any church membership/baptism, any kind of diploma/degree, certifications.
Health:
Shot/medical/prescription records, allergies, etc
Wealth:
Bank statements, investment/retirement accounts,life insurance, etc
Posessions:
Receipts/invoices for personal items such as computer/laptop, firearms, etc

My BOB's (one for each family member) are smaller bags than ALICE packs then the INCH is an ALICE pack. for the one minute or less evac because the house is on fire we grab those and run. The important documents, items in the safe will survive that. If we have longer to evac then we open the safe and grab additional firearms, the important documents binder, etc.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:18 pm 

Google Drive has a function that allows you upload photos as PDFs. I used to save all my taxi turn-ins that way. It takes a little practice to get a good image, so maybe sit down some evening with your smart phone and an unimportant document to try it out.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Good kit, good feedback.
I agree with quantity of cash you carrying. I also carry a hundred in prepaid visa/mastercards.

My two cents
Add more Ibuprofen and Tylenol, perhaps a 25 or 50 tab bottle of each.
What type of water container are you storing the 1.5 to 2 liters of water in?

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:20 pm 

woodsghost wrote:
Bankline

How well does bankline do as shoelaces in a pinch? If not very well, you might want to include some extra laces.

Quote:

A pair of older comfortable walking shoes that still have some life in them sounds perfect. Boots might afford a little more protection, but they would also make the bag weigh more and in my experience more weight on your feet really adds up over distance.

Quote:
Razor?

Do you shave now? I can definitely see the purpose in having the ability to make yourself look more presentable during an emergency. A comb might also be a good thing that doesn't weigh very much.

Quote:
N95 mask? (X2?)

Breathing in particulates, especially when you're working hard, really sucks. Lots of disasters also seem to have a lot of potential for dust, ash, smoke, etc. That said, it depends on your situation. I just have a bandana that can be used as a dust mask in a pinch in my BOB. If there is a wild fire or volcanic eruption I would almost always get prior warning and would have time to throw a couple N95 masks into my bag. That's just my situation. If I lived in Los Angeles and was preparing for an earthquake I think I would include some better dust protection than a bandana.

woodsghost wrote:
I don't have a scanner. My phone takes decent pictures. Do you think that would suffice? Pictures of front and back of documents as applicable?

I think cell phone pictures would definitely be better than nothing, and if you do a good enough job they would probably be just fine. One thing to keep an eye out for would be an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier in the trash or at a thrift store. These often get tossed or donated due to expensive ink, or if they break it's usually not the flatbed scanner that's broken. It would be bulky as just a scanner, but you could always use it and then toss it back in the dumpster or re-donate it.

woodsghost wrote:
Re-reading my list, I"m realizing I need a little duct tape and body wash. Also need a copy of drivers licence.

My desire is to not be a burden on any friends if we land on their couch.

For the extra cell phone, do y'all think it would be most useful to have a data plan or just leave it at calls/texts?

Duct tape is a good idea. It can also be a decent substitute for a bandage when trying to wrap an ankle or hold a gauze pad in place. If you're putting it directly on skin it is a good idea to stick it to something else and then peel it back off one or more times first.

How does body wash stack up compared to deodorant? I've never used body wash, but I have used deodorant. Is it a replacement for soap as well?

How cheap of a data plan can you get? My inclination is to say just stick with calls/texting, especially if the phone has WiFi.

koolaidND wrote:
You mentioned that you have 5 Alice packs. I'd start setting one up for your wife right away. Have her carry her clothes, more food, water and a set of hygiene/first aid items for her.

I think this is a really good idea. You might even compress the bag as much as possible and strap it to the outside of your other bag if you want to be able to grab just one thing as you're running out the door.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:09 pm 

I like your idea of having different food modules. Have you considered other modules as well? If you're traveling it seems like you will already have packed some of the stuff in your regular bag (like a razor) and that can be moved to your BOB if you have time.

I would suggest a clothing module and a grooming module.

You might want some more weather-appropriate clothing in the clothing module. That really depends on your climate. Also some clothes that make you look at least somewhat presentable. Doesn't have to be fancy, but something better than shorts and a "Buttweiser: King of Rears" t-shirt if you have to apply for a loan. Maybe a tie.

Your grooming module could have things that are nice to have but not essential, like a razor, comb and body wash. Maybe a camp towel in case you end up at a friend's house and he doesn't have many extras. This is the kind of thing that I would keep cheap so you could ditch it if you have to walk a long ways and don't want to carry the weight.

Here are some other things you might consider. Of course there are weight and space considerations, so many of these might not be the best idea for you specifically.

Hi-Viz gear: Something like a reflective vest and/or arm bands to help keep you from getting run over.

Upset stomach meds: For me Pepto-Bismol tablets work well for both heartburn and diarrhea. Pick whatever works best for you.

Sunscreen & bug dope: You can get them in very small bottles. Might not be an issue where you live, especially during certain times of the year.

Wet wipes: Can be used to clean nasty shit off your hands when water is scarce, for morale-boosting improvised baths and to try to clean up around cuts and scrapes.

Gum/breath strips/breath mints: I would actually prefer these to tooth paste and floss in my BOB, but tooth paste and floss would be good in a grooming module.

Tiny scissors and/or tweezers: Grooming, removing splinters, tying ridiculously small knots, etc.

Safety pins: That little tear in your coveralls might eventually be your whole ass hanging out as you hike down the road. This may or may not aide your attempts at hitch hiking.

Extra underwear: Could be part of your clothes module. Personally I consider these important. Going commando is an option, but changing underwear makes me feel less swampy and stinky than going commando for a couple days. Maybe that's all in my head. I think silk long underwear can be good for bug out bags. It isn't as durable as wool or poly in my experience, so I don't use it for daily use. It's not as warm in really cold conditions, but it isn't as unbearably hot in warm conditions. The main thing is that it weighs almost nothing and packs down really small.

When it comes to the phone I would load it up with music, audio books and e-books (if that is an option) and have some headphones for it

Ear plugs might be nice for trying to get to sleep when you're at your friends house and some other bastard is snoring really loud.

Plastic bags are handy for a lot of things.

Clip-on shades: This is if your glasses don't have transition lenses. I used to keep one of those flimsy disposable slide-in things from the optometrist in my BOB for this purpose.

For documents you might want to include important phone numbers, email addresses and mailing addresses.

In addition to maps it would be good to include your city bus routes/schedules or those of the city you are travelling to. Taxi phone numbers are good as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:51 pm 

Carry witnessed copies of your paperwork rather than the originals, also consider using a good quality scanner to scan in certified copies and save onto a USB or SSD

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:53 pm 

I'm not seeing any rain gear or warm clothes?

At a minimum a head hole in the woobie and a poncho would cover your basis, a Goodwill fleece jacket and frogg toggs would also be some cheap insurance.

Coveralls get the job done and I've considered using them in caches as a better-then-nothing option, but I think a trip to the local thrift store for some cheap casual clothes (old button down, nylon or polyester trousers?) would go a long way towards normalizing your image. I start thinking about image issues when I wonder how easily I could convince a passing car to pick me up if my car breaks down...
You are probably counting on having enough time to put on or grab more normal clothing I assume, certainly not unlikely. Even if you are trying to keep the clothing weight down I still prioritize socks and underwear, but of course the argument can be made you can just buy more when you get where you are going.

I recommend against waterfilter bottles, they are fairly convenient but lack versatility. I like having the option to filter water into larger containers (MWCs if I'm in a car), or for use other then drinking. Some aquamira tabs or liquid give you a lot of options for very little money or weight.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:05 am 

JackBauer wrote:
What type of water container are you storing the 1.5 to 2 liters of water in?

Thinking a soda bottle with some bleach in there to keep things sanitary. Maybe a couple smaller water bottles instead. This is not yet set up. I"m trying to iron out the kinks before I become emotionally invested in my kit :mrgreen: Do you have a preferred suggestion?

quazi wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
Bankline

How well does bankline do as shoelaces in a pinch? If not very well, you might want to include some extra laces.

Quote:

A pair of older comfortable walking shoes that still have some life in them sounds perfect.

Quote:
Razor?

Do you shave now? I can definitely see the purpose in having the ability to make yourself look more presentable during an emergency. A comb might also be a good thing that doesn't weigh very much.

Quote:
N95 mask? (X2?)

Breathing in particulates, especially when you're working hard, really sucks.

How does body wash stack up compared to deodorant? I've never used body wash, but I have used deodorant. Is it a replacement for soap as well?

Bankline: It would hold up fine to use as shoelaces. I"m not sure the shoes would hold up well, and I"m not sure they would be comfortable. Shoe laces could be added.

I think I could get some new shoes to throw in the BOB, and as I need new shoes, I rotate them out and add new ones to the BOB.

I don't shave now, but it goes in spurts. Mostly dependent on what my wife is enjoying and how lazy I am feeling. I do like to keep trimmed up, and feel that could be better for job interviews if I literally had to leave, go to another city, and start over, like folks did with Katrina. I"d also like to look less dangerous to whatever authorities may be in place.

quazi wrote:

.....lots of great stuff......

Gum/breath strips/breath mints: I would actually prefer these to tooth paste and floss in my BOB, but tooth paste and floss would be good in a grooming module.

.....More great stuff.....

When it comes to the phone I would load it up with music, audio books and e-books (if that is an option) and have some headphones for it

....Lots more great stuff....

Weather appropriate clothing would be nice. I"m thinking of this as a very "last ditch" bag. As winter comes, cold weather clothing gets stored in the cars. If we were ejected from our apartment we could probably get gear from the cars. And I can store stuff at one of my BOLs. But this particular BOL is a "short term, get back on your feet" BOL, not a "zombies arise" BOL, so there is a limit on what could be stored.

For a grooming module, I was thinking the bandanna could double as a towel. I have done that many times.

I had not considered hi-viz gear. Hunting season is arriving, so it would be easy to pick up a cheap vest.

I had forgot about stomach meds. Pepto-Bismol tablets, thanks!

Thinking about getting some of the caffeinated gum.

For phones, I was literally thinking something from this page:

http://sale.tracfone.com/?utm_source=IM ... &utm_term={keyword}

Just something cheap and something that seems durable. I can add minuets every 3 months to the tune of $20. Music, audio books, and e-books might be an option for some of these?

RonnyRonin wrote:
I'm not seeing any rain gear or warm clothes?

You are probably counting on having enough time to put on or grab more normal clothing I assume, certainly not unlikely. .....

I recommend against waterfilter bottles, they are fairly convenient but lack versatility. ... Some aquamira tabs or liquid give you a lot of options for very little money or weight.

Well, what I am thinking (and please correct me if I am off base in my thoughts) is that a poncho liner can be used for warmth, a tarp (BCUSA MEST, 5x7ft) can be used as a poncho. This makes items more "dual purpose." If my wife and I both have poncho liners, and get together, we greatly increase our ability to retain heat. A candle can also be used with a poncho or poncho liner to greatly increase heat.

Also, if there is an emergency while we are on the road, we will have normal clothing. If traveling, we will actually have an abundance of normal clothing. Including underwear and socks.

I like the idea of the NDuR because it filters viruses and chemicals out of water, and it should last for 100 gallons. Some tablets can kill viruses, but I"m not aware of any removing chemicals.

This company even claims their filter can remove a certain amount of radioactive material.

https://www.nukepills.com/seychelle-wat ... taminants/

I was thinking about runoff from farm fields and the potential contaminants in flood waters. A filter which gets chemicals out is very attractive. The ability to filter out radioactive material is also attractive, but I don't know anything about the company.

The biggest issue I see with filters is keeping them functional in temps below freezing. The best solution seems to be keeping them in close to your body.

I know you know more about filters than I do, as do some other people on this site. So let me know if I am missing something.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

A lot of my BOB philosophy is coming from this guy:

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs ... /0001.html

I have also been really impressed by Raptor's thread on Katrina.

I"m trying to have something I can grab and go and get on the road with if a Katrina should hit Nebraska. Ok, that would have to be a pretty big hurricane, but hey, the potential is there. Or a Madrid Earthquake.

I was struck by the guy in the first link and his difficulty setting up a new life after Katrina. Documentation is NOT my strong point. Wilderness survival is. So my bag is probably more "wilderness" than it needs to be. But per Raptor's advice on things, it seems cash, credit cards, and prescription meds are key to surviving urban disasters. Oh, and documentation of assets.

Since I"ll be making a second bag for my wife, we will probably split the $500 between our bags, along with pre-paid cards. As we are able we will increase those to $500 each in cash.

I also see the bag being used to keep me and my wife comfortable while we call and wait for AAA in the event of car difficulties. Worst case scenario would seem to be getting stuck in a blizzard and having to wait a day or two for rescue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:56 pm 

Don't forget Imodium or some other anti-diarrhea medication. The stress of bugging out can give you the shits.

Lots already said about your personal ID documents.

If you don't have a scanner visit your local library or check your local FedEx/Kinkos or UPS store.

I bought my scanner on Craiglist for $20 or $30.

Here it is new.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-CanoSc ... r/40672462

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:18 pm 

Quote:

:?

Not sure what the reasoning here is.

If we are leaving I am taking my smart phone and at least two small low power consumption laptops.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:49 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

:?

Not sure what the reasoning here is.

If we are leaving I am taking my smart phone and at least two small low power consumption laptops.

My laptop is a dinosaur and has been mistaken for a boat anchor. A rather reasonable mistake.

I need to back up the last 7 years of work and data on it. That would suck to lose. That is pretty much irreplaceable.

Phones: I"m not going to assume I can be awake enough in an emergency to grab my wallet, my phone, my glasses, the car keys, a gun, put on pants, turn the thermostat down, pack a lunch, and feed the neighbor's dog. My thinking is: I want a bag done up so that I only have to grab and remember -1- thing while heading out the door. So I want back-ups I can store in the bag. I want a certain level of redundancy. Also, there is no guarantee my phone's battery will be charged. In fact my phone went kaput this July and left me without a phone for 20 days (I was in the boonies at a summer camp). If I'd had a backup I could have called family and let them know how I was doing. My wife could have called me and I could have called her. But my one and only phone died and left me stranded.

If I have 5 minuets to get out the door, I'll grab the laptop, the main set of car keys, my phone and charger, my wife's phone, pants, a rifle, and my ZOMG bag. If I have an hour to get out of the house I'll grab bulk ammo and bulk food/water. I need to get the medicine into a bulk bug out module too, but that will come.

So you see, I"m trying to come up with inexpensive back-ups and redundancies. This July kinda scarred me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:14 pm 

Things I'm missing:

Permanent magic marker. Or maybe a pen that can write when wet?
Paper. Maybe rite-in-the-rain paper?
Radio: AM/FM. Maybe weather and short wave?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:34 pm 

I'm guessing that all of those phones you linked should be able to play music. The smart phones would likely be able to do ebooks. I'm not 100% sure though. Did you have a specific one in mind?

Silver sharpies are good for writing on a variety of surfaces, but they don't work well when wet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:54 pm 

quazi wrote:
I'm guessing that all of those phones you linked should be able to play music. The smart phones would likely be able to do ebooks. I'm not 100% sure though. Did you have a specific one in mind?

Silver sharpies are good for writing on a variety of surfaces, but they don't work well when wet.

Not yet. Was going to look up reviews and look at battery life.

The key advantage I see to smart phones is access to email and ability to text pictures, which would allow different forms of communication in a SHTF. Also, some people's texts seem to arrive as pictures anyway. Not sure why. It could also be useful to access Facebook, as apparently lots of Facebook groups pop up during disasters to disseminate information.

Plus my memory of this thread on Baton Rouge is that Facebook groups provided more accurate and timely information than the radio or other information sources.

Well crap. Just talked myself into a backup semi-smart phone.

Also, whatever I get, I"d love to be able to remove the battery from the phone. Older phones allowed you to remove the battery, which allowed me to place a new fresh one in immediately, and allowed me to store the phone and battery without fear that phantom energy use would leave the battery empty when I needed it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:24 pm 

Quote:

So you see, I"m trying to come up with inexpensive back-ups and redundancies. This July kinda scarred me.

Were you in a bad wreck? :?

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:55 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
Quote:

Were you in a bad wreck? :?

No, sorry.

I was at a summer camp. It was 14 days. On day 2 my phone died. Completely. The battery charging port had completely corroded (with no ability to recharge the battery) and I"m guessing that is because I exposed my phone to too much outdoors over the last few years? So I went 12 days without being able to communicate except on rare occasion when I had other access to a phone. My dropping off the face of the earth kinda freaked some people out. Anyway, once I got back to civilization it took me 8 days to figure out how best to get all the information off the old phone and onto a new one, and then switch carriers (was expensive, now cheaper) and switch phones (made a mistake). But during all this time I had greatly reduced access to communications. And my phone is my alarm clock dammit!!!! :lol:

The mistake I made when I got a new phone is I got a used one (increased performance at a reduced price, right?). In this case, the battery charging port does not seem to be 100% reliable, and the battery life seems highly unstable, so I"m not sure how long this thing will be around. I could maybe get the charging port replaced and I know I could get a new battery. And apparently with some phones the battery port cannot be replaced (which was the case with my old phone, which was otherwise lovely). So I feel the need to make backups of what is on my phone and have a backup phone for when this one dies. Also, as I said, if a disaster happens I just don't know if my phone would actually make it with me out the door. Accidents happen, and they are far more likely to happen under stress.

Besides, there really is a decent chance I would remember my phone, but my wife's phone would likely die in the disaster. Having a backup for each of us would ensure we each made it out the door with one, and maybe two phones apiece. Or so I"m thinking.

And if you read over the thread and caught my earlier reference to auto expenses and rebuilding emergency funds; we had a fender bender in August. I had a $2000 deductible on the car cuz "hey, I"ve been in 2 fender benders and together they cost less than $1500, we can cover that with savings and why pay for more insurance than we need, right? And my wife is a terrific driver, so I"m the only one likely to make a mistake...."

Well, turns out we are all only human and I"ve only ever bent the fender of fossils. Newer cars are a LOT more expensive to fix. Another life mistake. I"ll have to figure out what lowering the deductible will cost. I might be getting a small promotion and raise at work in a few weeks, so rebuilding and prepping might get a boost here soon.

Oh, and no surprise, our car, built like a tank, received nothing but a lite scratch from the fender bender :roll: I"m actually pretty grateful.