WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Doc8404
*
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, both Dawn of the Dead's, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Doc8404 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:59 am

I'm one of the whacky's if not Fools who believe Yellowstone will happen in our lifetime. I pray it doesn't since the devastation would be....well, devastating. Not just the loss of life immediately after it goes off, but the plume of plutonium smoke and ash across the US that might go into Canada and Mexico. I might miss the immediate explosion but I'm sure the smoke and ash would get to us, which I'd be swallowing a few potassium iodide immediately and throwing on the gas mask and initiating our evacuation plan either by vehicle or by foot. I know if this did happen those members closest to it wouldn't be able to do much. But let's say you didn't live very close to the blast radius, WWYD? Just interested to hear other ideas on if they think it would happen, or what they would do if only caught near the radioactive ash that would cover most of the US, most likely.
"Life isn't something you possess, it's something you're a part of."-Louis C.K., probably not his

“Perhaps there is more sense in our nonsense and more nonsense in our 'sense' than we would care to believe.” -David Bohm

Image

H. neanderthalensis
* *
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:35 am

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by H. neanderthalensis » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:25 am

I'm up wind, so hello Tokyo!

Or Seoul, Singapore, Bangkok, Sydney.
Image

H. neanderthalensis
* *
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:35 am

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by H. neanderthalensis » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:36 am

Or Hong Kong...
Image

Das Sheep
* * * *
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:16 am

Be thankful that I live in Florida!

BigDaddyTX
* * * * *
Posts: 1998
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm
Location: Greater Clear Lake Area, Texas

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:54 am

Depending on what you look at for damage, I'd probably be dead, or at least severely impacted as I'm on close to the border of the largest blast IIRC. I'd just have to hope that the wind was blowing to the West for the next few ... years I guess. My solar panels aren't going to be much use with no sun.
Image
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

ArmchairRacer
* * *
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm
Location: Utah

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by ArmchairRacer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:09 am

Make my peace with the FSM. I'd be dead in a matter of hours, if not minutes.

Das Sheep
* * * *
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Das Sheep » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Out of curiosity, why do you think it will erupt in our lifetime?

User avatar
MacAttack
* * * * *
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 am

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by MacAttack » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:19 pm

A cute hourly updated wind map of the US. Surface winds only.

http://hint.fm/wind/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Current Jet stream wind data. Updated hourly.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/Current.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


Check the prevailing winds for the day and hope they are not blowing in my direction.

If it really hits Im just guessing but I do not think the US nationwide telecomunications system will last past a week. Other than power going out in very widespread areas the internet will also be going down so get your data fast and hope it lasts.

If the thing does touch off and erupt you can bet that the wind patterns will change around it in a few days. All that heat has to do something. So whats good data for today might not be good for the next week.

User avatar
Browning 35
BANNED
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man
Location: Texas

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:31 pm

Watch the news about the story I guess.

I'm blissfully ignorant as to what kind of threat it poses to someone 1,460 miles away.

Edit : A quick search led me to this site.

Yellowstone super-volcano (*Click for link*)

Image

Image

So if what they're saying on that site is correct we could be in for quite a bit of ash, but it wouldn't be anything like ground zero.
Last edited by Browning 35 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16639
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by crypto » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Browning 35 wrote: I'm blissfully ignorant as to what kind of threat is poses to someone 1,460 miles away.
Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc etc.

Like any of the other Supervolcanos, the consensus seems to be that it would eject enough matter into the stratosphere to do bad, bad Nuclear Winter -esque things to the planet for decades.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Browning 35
BANNED
Posts: 4698
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:47 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004).
28 Days Later.
Planet Terror.
Dawn of the Dead (1978).
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Omega Man
Location: Texas

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Browning 35 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:19 pm

crypto wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: I'm blissfully ignorant as to what kind of threat is poses to someone 1,460 miles away.
Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc etc.

Like any of the other Supervolcanos, the consensus seems to be that it would eject enough matter into the stratosphere to do bad, bad Nuclear Winter -esque things to the planet for decades.
Yeah. I mean it's like EMP or a solar flare.

All kinds of opinions on how bad it would be, nothing definite.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:Why do you want to shoot penguins? What did they ever do to you?
It's that smug, superior attitude of theirs, strutting around in their fancy outfits like they're better than everyone else. Yeah, burn in hell, you snobbish bird bastards.

And don't get me started on pandas!

Nutpantz
* * *
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:41 am

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Nutpantz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Watch it all on CNN as I go to the local police office that was built in the 60's that has a bunker underneath, make a deal with the chief to show him the access point for giving me entry. (most don't know bunkers were built under the offices)

Live there.. Until it's safe to come up.. start over.
Equality can only exist between equals.
Civilization implies division of labor, division of labor implies subordination and subordination implies injustice and inequality.

User avatar
Shiloh
* * * * *
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:46 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later
Location: Laramie, WY

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Shiloh » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm going to be in WY this year, so...die? Probably horribly.
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

User avatar
KentsOkay
* * * * *
Posts: 3207
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Location: Texas

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by KentsOkay » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:16 pm

I didn't realize the blast zone was so big./ Probably die horribly, or become a boss level villain in the new real estate development 'Cano Wastes.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Image
Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 3635
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:56 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies
Location: Arizonastan

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Caenus » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Why is it radioactive? Is there plutonium in them thar hills?

Inquiring Phoenicians want to know.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Faydee
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Faydee » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:35 am

i live in utah and family in idaho , i'm guessing we would all be dead very shortly... maybe not if we can find some kinda fallout shelter and then even make it there

User avatar
Mr. E. Monkey
* * * * *
Posts: 9106
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Utah

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm betting on it not happening in my lifetime. If it does, it will be at the very end of my lifetime.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image
Image

User avatar
Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Huntington, West Virginia

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Rev » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Caenus wrote:Why is it radioactive? Is there plutonium in them thar hills?

Inquiring Phoenicians want to know.
If that is a reference to nuclear winter that isn't caused by radiation. It's the dust.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

AnonEmouse
* *
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 8:43 am

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by AnonEmouse » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Doc8404 wrote:I'm one of the whacky's if not Fools who believe Yellowstone will happen in our lifetime. I pray it doesn't since the devastation would be....well, devastating. Not just the loss of life immediately after it goes off, but the plume of plutonium smoke and ash across the US that might go into Canada and Mexico. I might miss the immediate explosion but I'm sure the smoke and ash would get to us, which I'd be swallowing a few potassium iodide immediately and throwing on the gas mask and initiating our evacuation plan either by vehicle or by foot. I know if this did happen those members closest to it wouldn't be able to do much. But let's say you didn't live very close to the blast radius, WWYD? Just interested to hear other ideas on if they think it would happen, or what they would do if only caught near the radioactive ash that would cover most of the US, most likely.


Since I'm well within the initial blast radius I'd bend over and kiss my ass goodbye , that's if I had the time.

User avatar
Braticus Caticus
* *
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Golden Girls...
What? Bea Arthur was alive?
Who knew?
Location: St. Charles, MO

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Braticus Caticus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
Edit : A quick search led me to this site.

Yellowstone super-volcano (*Click for link*).
They lost me at "Antichrist"
Cadavera animata edunt cerebra et dicunt lente "Ceeerrreeebbbrrraaa."

User avatar
IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 691
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:08 am
Location: SW Ohio

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by IceWing » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Buying more air filters for the vehicles STAT!
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

User avatar
Bahamut
* *
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series
Location: Florida

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Bahamut » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:33 pm

KentsOkay wrote:I didn't realize the blast zone was so big./ Probably die horribly, or become a boss level villain in the new real estate development 'Cano Wastes.
Your responses always make my day. Thanks for that. As for the OP, I live in FL and may be safe. If it would turn out that I was not safe, then I would mutate and overcome.
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

User avatar
Mad Mike
* * *
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:33 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Mad Mike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Browning 35 wrote:
crypto wrote:
Browning 35 wrote: I'm blissfully ignorant as to what kind of threat is poses to someone 1,460 miles away.
Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc etc.

Like any of the other Supervolcanos, the consensus seems to be that it would eject enough matter into the stratosphere to do bad, bad Nuclear Winter -esque things to the planet for decades.
Yeah. I mean it's like EMP or a solar flare.

All kinds of opinions on how bad it would be, nothing definite.
You know the old saying about opinions??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If it is as big as some predict, life all over the planet will likely be affected.

User avatar
Towanda
* * * * *
Posts: 3664
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:02 am
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: WWYD if Yellowstone went off

Post by Towanda » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:07 pm

Plutonium?

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

Image
SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Post Reply

Return to “What Would You Do?”