It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bullet in the top pocket
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:43 pm 

Location: this univers, milkyway, sole sytem, earth, africa South Africa, simmonstown
Would you keep a round for your self. For that time when all is seemingly lost and you cut off surrounded and out of everything else. Would you be willing to shoot your self and your family (not in that order). What if there was two of you and you had only one round would you take the quick way out or safe some one from a slow and or painful death. You all so don't know if you goanna be rescued so how long do you wait.

First post is it in the correct section?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:06 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

If it comes to the point where I'm down to one bullet, it probably means I messed up big time somewhere. It probably also means my family is long gone.

So, in the event I'm alone, pretty much grabbing Death's hand and surrounded by zombies, raiders or whatever else wants to kill me, I have the choice of eating a bullet or letting them kill me.

*See ETA at bottom of post for updated answer.

In the event it's down to me and another family member or friend, if I'm in rough shape and they are not, I'm going to tell them to find a way to sneak off and run like hell and not to look back. I'll fight to my dying breath to make sure they live another day.

In the event the family member or friend is in rough shape and I'm not, I'll drag them as far as I can in order to save them. I'll fight whatever comes my way as well. I might be out of ammo, but if I can still swing a tree branch or fence post or whatever, I will use that instead.

ETA: Scratch what I said about eating the bullet. I'm not giving the guys wanting to kill me the satisfaction of me taking myself out for them.

I'll probably try to take as many of them with me before I die. I may be reduced to fighting with a knife or using my rifle as a club (aside from my Mosin, none of my guns can use a bayonet), but I will become the stuff of their nightmares and my story will be told for generations to come.

Granted, it'll end with "And then he died.", but still it ought to be good enough for a laugh around the campfires. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:38 pm 

Nah, I'm good.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:43 pm 

Nah. time for knife work. :crazy:

You're gonna die anyway, might as well leave the bastards with a few nightmares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Sounds like it's time to fix bayonets :crazy:

If I've managed to exhaust the mag in the gun plus the four I'd carry for my rifle and/or the two I carry for my pistol and I'm still fighting, God must be on my side that day.
If it's my wife with me, there's probably no way in hell she'd listen to me and leave me behind (she's a very stubborn Irish girl), so I guess we're either both gonna die or gonna make it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:31 pm 

Why don't you just use that bullet to MacGyver your way outta there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:38 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'd rather go out like in the movie "The Grey" than go out like the dude at the end of "The Mist".

Ironically, both movies have similar names and both didn't do well with critics...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:38 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:

Because I don't have erectile dysfunction? :awesome:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:42 pm 

But the dude at the end of Mist doesn't die. He ran out of bullets after killing his family and then sees the army rescue squad. That's why it was sad. :clap: You missed the whole point of that movie. Wow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:45 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
I'd rather go out like in the movie "The Grey" than go out like the dude at the end of "The Mist".

Ironically, both movies have similar names and both didn't do well with critics...

The Grey received positive reviews from critics, with particular praise going to Neeson's performance, as well as Carnahan's direction and the film's atmosphere. The Grey has a "certified fresh" score of 79% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 190 reviews with an average rating of 6.9/10. The site's critical consensus states, "The Grey is an exciting tale of survival, populated with fleshed-out characters and a surprising philosophical agenda."[15] On Metacritic, the film has a score of 64 out of 100, based on 35 critics, indicating "generally favourable reviews".[16]

Roger Ebert gave the film 3 and a half stars out of 4, and wrote that the unrelenting harshness of The Grey so affected him that he departed the screening of a different movie on the same day:[17]

It was the first time I've ever walked out of a film because of the previous film. The way I was feeling in my gut, it just wouldn't have been fair to the next film... There's time for some conversation among the men, and this film, directed by Joe Carnahan and written by him and Ian Mackenzie Jeffers, treats them as individuals. They're not simply a group of victims. The Grey advances with pitiless logic. There are more wolves than men. The men have weapons, the wolves have patience, the weather is punishing. I sat regarding the screen with mounting dread. The movie had to have a happy ending, didn't it? If not "happy," then at least a relief in some sense? Sit through the entire credits. There's one more shot still to come. Not that you wouldn't be content without it.

The film also earned a place on A.O. Scott's list of the year's ten best films,[18] and Slate film critic Dana Stevens included it in her runners-up for the year's best movies.[19] Film Critic Richard Roeper also had The Grey in his top 10 best movies of 2012 list, placing it at number 3

The Grey is one of my favorite movies. Perfect survival story.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

This is in the correct section.

And my answer is no. I am no roman senator to fall on my sword and I will keep struggling to survive to my last. There are scenarios and hypothetical situations where I can see choosing suicide over continuing, but neither of your situations meet mine.

Where there is life, I will determinedly cling to hope.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:11 am 

Deanna Monroe went down shooting. If she can do it...

Hypo/hyper -thermia, Dehydration, Hypovolemia, Shock, Sepsis, etc, I'd probably take it to the point of being unconscious before I could even contemplate that action. Wait, if I lose internet permanently... I'M GONE! :gonk:

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 pm 

My last-stand kit. Good bourbon, games of chance, a pack of smokes, six bullets and a classic shootin' iron.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:54 pm 

Sure you don't. Who are you trying to convince?

flybynight wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:59 am 

Shoot myself? I can think of hypothetical scenarios in which I would, but they are all extremely unlikely.

My family and then myself? That seems way less likely than just myself, and killing myself is extremely unlikely to begin with. I could probably think up a hypothetical scenario in which it would be the best thing to do, but honestly I just don't want to think about it too hard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:06 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:54 pm 

We are all heros in our own stories. Someone here has that tag line, and for the most part I see that as true. Especially after reading the comments here. While in a normal situation in a normal state of mind, I would never contemplate offing myself.

If it we're down to me most likely dying by others, why not make them work for it? Why make it easy on them?

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:15 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
If it we're down to me most likely dying by others, why not make them work for it? Why make it easy on them?

If they are going to torture you to death for fun/revenge, why not make it easy on yourself? Why give them the satisfaction?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

raptor wrote:
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night.

I agree...

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:32 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
Sure you don't. Who are you trying to convince? Interesting, and the answer would matter to you why? :lol:

flybynight wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:09 pm 

No bullet to the head for me. From what I read on interviews Hand-to-Hand combat was pretty important and almost expected all the way up to Vietnam. There is a reason he carries a hatchet in the movie The Patriot and it isn't for chopping wood.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:23 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

quazi wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

If they are going to torture you to death for fun/revenge, why not make it easy on yourself? Why give them the satisfaction?

Ah, Reavers ...

"If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."
―Zoë Alleyne Washburne

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm 

sheddi wrote:
quazi wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Ah, Reavers ...

"If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And, if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."
―Zoë Alleyne Washburne

I guess the other day Nathan Fillion said that he's no longer interested in making more Firefly. It's sad, but to be fair it has been a really long time. :(

From my understanding of history* it's been pretty normal for humans to torture their captured enemies up until fairly recently, and I'm sure that the torture is still happening in some places. I'm not talking about torturing for information, but for revenge, to make an example or just for some twisted form of amusement.

I do think that we've made moral progress, and that such things happening on a wide scale in Western countries are highly unlikely. However, I know enough otherwise good people now who think it just that "bad guys" be made to suffer in physical ways that if there was a broad scale breakdown lasting a few months or more that torture might become a very real possibility. Of course, I think such a breakdown is unlikely to occur any time soon.

*Admittedly the parts of history I've focused on are usually when things are going wrong in some way, rather than when everything is normal and happy.

ETA: When I say normal I don't mean captured enemies were nearly always tortured, but rather that it was something that happened on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:57 pm 

I have no problem with the idea of saving myself extended pain and suffering and opting out. Or doing the same for others. That said, I would have to be very sure there was no other option and for others be given permission from them.

I accepted a long time ago we all die, and have little worry or fear about death itself. Pain and suffering dragging out, sure that scares me, but actually dying no problem since we all will do it eventually. So for me, yes I would take myself out if I was in a situation that it seemed like it would be preferable. A zombie bite, or mortal wound, etc.. For others, that is more complicated but essentially becomes, if they might be a threat to me or others as in a zombie bite, or if they were asking me to do so and they had a mortal wound and wanted the suffering to end.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter