80'sSKS vs 80's Marlin 3030
1. SKS without a scope 58%  58%  [ 18 ]
2. Marlin with Redfield scope 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
3. Marlin without scope 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
4. Find a way to attach a scope to the SKS 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 31
 Post subject: SKS vs Marlin 330cs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:20 pm 

So, I have both a a Norinco SKS best I can tell from the early 80's and a Marlin 336 CS also from the early 80's . With the sks I have a sling (kinda small for me), the cleaning kit in the buttstock, cleaning rod, 10 clips, and screwdriver style bayonet. With the marlin I have a cheap 7 round but stock ammo carrier and an old redfield scope (think late vietnam era), no weapon contained cleaning kit and no sling. Currently I have the scope off so I can use the irons ( I cant use the irons with scope).

In a shtf witch would you take and why?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: SKS vs Marlin 330cs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

SKS all the way. There's a reason lever actions were replaced by bolt actions and bolt actions were replaced by semi auto actions.
You get 10 rounds with an SKS, 6 shots with the marlin?
You can carry the SKS clips in a bandoleer, in your pocket, in a pouch on your belt, or even in a chest rig should you so desire. Marlin rounds will either be loose or in loops which equals less rounds per space taken up.
You can make a cheap and efficient sling for the SKS if you can sew (I'll send you some instructions for free if you want), not quite as easy to put a sling on the Marlin.
You've got the cleaning kit in the SKS, plus a cleaning rod in the SKS.
You can either have a gunsmith tap your SKS for a scope set up, or you can use something that mounts onto the rear sight.
You can get a better stock for the SKS if you want, wood can suffer in wet weather.

I'll take my AR15 over both, but if the SKS and the Marlin are the choices, I'll stick with the SKS.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:00 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

I agree SKS would be my choice. That being said the Marlin is a fine self defense rifle. You are likely to find ammo for either easy to find most places.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:33 pm 

I'd sell them both and get a DPMS .308

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:56 pm 

Take the SKS and leave it as stock as possible - resist the temptation to mess with it. The best and most reliable SKSs are those with he least "mods" made to them.

roscoe wrote:
.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:09 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Another vote for the SKS here.

That was my first centerfire rifle and one I've had a good deal of experience with so I'd feel pretty comfortable using one in a SHTF scenario.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:23 pm 

I plan to leave the SKS stock. I was leaning toward the Marlin because I find it more accurate with irons than the SKS not to mention with scope. I find both reliable so....the real question is can I put up with 10-12 inch moa of the SKS at 100 yards over the Marlin and it's inadequacy's and it's 3-4 inch moa at the same distance. This is the only thing holding me back from deciding on SKS.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:41 pm 
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Good point about accuracy.

Which one can you shoot better? Take them both out and see how fast you can score a dozen hits with each. I would lean towards that rifle. I would then train and practice with it to deal with any inherent issues.

Link to ZS Hall of Fame Forum
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:53 pm 

Find out why you are shooting one foot groups with the sks . Fix it. Don't look back. The sks was designed for shtf . But keep the marlin. No sense getting rid of a gun.( except to use the funds to buy another gun, which you will eventually regret selling at some point, just cause )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:29 am 

One of the kids has both of those rifles, the Marlin has a X3-9 Simmons scope with shoot through rings. My intention when I bought them for him was the SKS for self defense and the Marlin for hunting. I guess they could reverse roles in a pinch.

He decided to keep the bayonet on the rifle (cool factor I think) and irons. The rifle that stays in his closet is the Marlin while the SKS stays in the safe. Since we live out in the sticks he is much more likely to see some game wander by then a bad guy and the .30-30 gives him more options for game then the SKS. Certainly you are not lightly armed with the Marlin.

So... SHTF? If we are leaning towards the grid-up, ROL roughly still in place I'd go with the Marlin. It is a hunting rifle that fits a self defense role. It's lighter, easier to handle and doesn't require much explanation. Even during the ammo panics I could still find .30-30 ammo just about everywhere. Most people who shoot the .30-30 don't feel that they need 2 cases of the stuff. Two cases is a lifetime supply for anyone but a cowboy competition shooter.

The closer we get to Grid Down, Mad Max WROL I guess take the SKS. It's higher rate of fire, faster reloads and larger magazine might come in handy if you get in a tight spot. If you have friends with the SKS or AK variants than more the better.

Ideally take both.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:56 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

raptor wrote:
Good point about accuracy.

Which one can you shoot better? Take them both out and see how fast you can score a dozen hits with each. I would lean towards that rifle. I would then train and practice with it to deal with any inherent issues.

I agree. Neither one is an optimal, but then neither one is a horrible choice. I'd also add, what is your comfort level with each? The usual wisdom would be to go with the SKS, and spend the time now to practice with it and up your comfort level and your proficiency. But ultimately, I'd say whichever one you feel serves you better.

JamesCannon wrote:
I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.

Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Pig wrote:
How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:07 pm 

Another vote for the SKS. I have both, and was doing the same mental arguments earlier tonight, concerning which one I'd prefer if the SHTF. The SKS has almost everything in its favor, including that I've had it longest of all my firearms, except for a. 22. About the only thing potentially in favor for the .30-30 is ammo availability in the boondocks, but then most mom&pop stores only stock a few boxes of the popular hunting calibers; not an issue with the SKS if you have a full ChiCom chest bandoleer.

Matt in Texas

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:25 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'd take the Marlin, between the two, but I'd have a different optic on it, probably an Aimpoint or similar on a QD mount. It's slimmer, lighter, should be a hair shorter but as most it's a hair longer, and it sounds like you're a better shot with it. I know I'd be a better shot with that than with an SKS.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:07 pm 

When the Doc is right he is right.

And when he's wrong, well, he'll argue with you. :) :awesome:

This time he is right.

I'm not a fan of the SKS. And even less of a fan of trying to make a gun do something it wasn't designed for (I.E. SKS Frakensniper). The only thing your going to achieve if you do this is be mad at yourself, make the gun mad at you and make Siminov and Kalashnikov both roll over in their graves.

My (un)helpful post earlier was the suggestion of buying a high powered sniper grade semi auto. If you are partial to Russian arms, get a Druganov instead of a DPMS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:50 pm 

Forgive my ignorance but, what is an OD mount? Do you mean on a picatinny rail? I would like to keep it as stock as possible so I wouldn't want to drill in a rail sleeve. I had considered high scope rings for the Marlin so I could use the iron sights, but they all seem so heavy and unergonomic (I hope that's a word :crazy: )

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd take the Marlin, between the two, but I'd have a different optic on it, probably an Aimpoint or similar on a QD mount. It's slimmer, lighter, should be a hair shorter but as most it's a hair longer, and it sounds like you're a better shot with it. I know I'd be a better shot with that than with an SKS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The Twizzler wrote:
Forgive my ignorance but, what is an OD mount? Do you mean on a picatinny rail? I would like to keep it as stock as possible so I wouldn't want to drill in a rail sleeve. I had considered high scope rings for the Marlin so I could use the iron sights, but they all seem so heavy and unergonomic (I hope that's a word :crazy: )

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Quick disconnect mount on a picatinny rail. If you have holes drilled and tapped for scope mounts, you have a place to mount a rail (XS sight systems is top notch) and can then use a quick-disconnect base for your red dot. I keep an Eotech on my Marlin, but a PA Micro would work just as well. Could also do a low-power scope in Warne QD rings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:00 pm 

The Twizzler wrote:
...unergonomic (I hope that's a word :crazy: )

This is the internet. If it wasn't a word before it is now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:08 pm 

mantis wrote:
Take the SKS and leave it as stock as possible - resist the temptation to mess with it. The best and most reliable SKSs are those with he least "mods" made to them.

A horrible fallacy, but not without truth. SKSs do not become unreliable because they have been modified, they become unreliable because the huge majority of the aftermarket products are garbage. by virtue of them being cheap for so long, and because serious people bought different guns, most the the stuff is "gee-wiz" bubba crap. A good synthetic stock and Tech Sights would go a long way, but most scope mounts and magazine options are ill advised.

Either gun I'd recommend better then stock sighting systems, but I always recommend against tall, see-through scope rings, you gotta commit. Pretty firmly agree with Doc on the RDS for the levergat, wouldn't recommend ANYTHING cheaper then Primary Arms.

I'm fairly certain I'd choose the SKS, but I usually imagine a "suppress and skedaddle" situation, not accurate aimed fire from the bushes. I like many things about the SKS, the large controls, the massive opening to deal with malfunctions, and the way it shoots but there is reason both of mine live in a safe several states away and I have an WASR and AR in my closet.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:50 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

To anyone else looking to rock the lever as a do-all rifle, I have two links.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabid/679/forumid/24/scope/threads/Default.aspx

Scott and Evan have killed all kinds of stuff with lever-actions, and have several threads about it.

http://www.rangerpointprecision.com/rifle-peep-night-sights-scope-mount

$85 for a scope mount that also functions as a night sights. Looks like solid kit if used as backup to a scope or red dot.

Edited to unfuck a link.

Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:20 pm 

I got a decent deal on 180 rounds of non corrosive Red Army 7.62x39 for 59.00. As soon as the heat index gets back to sub 100 degrees I will take them both out with my new (to me) spotting scope and see which one wins out. I did buy a 2 inch but extension for the sks and some 1/4 split lock washers but the screws still pull through the rubber when I tighten it enough to be usable. Maybe I will get some regular flat washers and see if that works any better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:16 am 

The Twizzler wrote:
I got a decent deal on 180 rounds of non corrosive Red Army 7.62x39 for 59.00. As soon as the heat index gets back to sub 100 degrees I will take them both out with my new (to me) spotting scope and see which one wins out. I did buy a 2 inch but extension for the sks and some 1/4 split lock washers but the screws still pull through the rubber when I tighten it enough to be usable. Maybe I will get some regular flat washers and see if that works any better.

Red Army Standard is decent ammo. Red Army Standard Elite is well worth the money. Brass cased, and most importantly, using M67 ball, sealed at both the primer and the neck. Very weather resistant and good terminal ballistics.

My experience with the regular RAS is that it is sealed at the primer, but not at the neck, and I think it uses regular bi-metal bullets, which are less ballistically useful. I would not hesitate to buy and store RAS ammo, but for zombies, I"d look at Golden Tiger, Red Army Standard Elite, or surplus Yugoslavian M67.

FWIW, I"d go with the SKS.

1) ammo cost.
2) training cost.
3) reliability.
4) capacity.

I would not mess with it or bubba it.

Just my $.02

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:32 pm 

Just gonna add that I was able to check out some RAS 7.62 and my earlier remarks about it being only sealed at one end are incorrect. Thankfully. I know the RAS 5.45 I bought 2 years ago was not sealed, and my memory on the 7.62x39 was that it started out being sealed at the neck, then was not sealed at the neck, but I could be wrong.

Here is a video on the RAS 7.62x39. This guy does a lot of good gun, ammo, and accessory reviews.

What stands out to me is that RAS 7.62 is good for storage, but not the best in terms of terminal ballistics. On the other hand, it is hard to beat 5.56 above the fragmentation threshold. But M67 (and rounds using the M67 bullet) is about the best for FMJ terminal ballistics in 7.62x39.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:51 am 

Voted option 4 (sks with a scope)
I had a type 56 a few years back, and bought a scope/mount package from j&g for it.
Only 4x but it was decent for what it was.
I switched back to just the iron sights, quicker target acquisition, same accuracy out to 200yds.
I miss that rifle.
J

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:23 am 

Which rifle? For SHTF? Mostly, whichever rifle YOU shoot better with.

I could go into the minutiae of SKS vs 336, but even that is very dependent on what YOU define as the SHTF scenario. The default for most people is SHTF = paramilitary combat = SKS obvious choice. But even in that situation I could see reasons to take the 336 over the SKS.

A 336 will never match the rate of fire of an SKS. But an SKS will never match the flexibility or accuracy of the 336. Otherwise they are broadly similar firearms. Choose the rifle you already feel most confident with.

I also have to say the Chinese SKS is weirdly perfect for the zombie apocalypse world of The Walking Dead, in part because of the folding spiked bayonet.