It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:34 pm 

I toured a pet food cannery in Ks. (Menu foods) about 13 or 14 years ago. I've got to say I'd have little trouble eating their canned food. By the end of the tour my stomach was rumbling the smells were that good. While snacking on the product is frowned upon my guide said it wasn't unheard of for employees to prove the high standards of quality to doubters.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:48 pm 

Hell...In extreme survival situations humans have eaten another humans.
You would think somebody won't eat their pet's dinner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:16 pm 
I Talk to Spammers
I Talk to Spammers

Certainly. Ever been real hungry? Ever watch bologna made? Vienna sausages? Everything goes into that mush to give it that great flavor.
I suppose the time might come where everything is simply meat product.
Soylent green wafers are way down the road.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Willingly and happily eaten dry dog food before (tastes like the puffed cheeze-its without the hint of cheese - gritty, corn dominated), and also original Beggin Strips, which are actually kind of good, in an overcooked vegan bacon kind of way. Milk bones are also good. Goat feed (molasses and grain pellets) might be agreeable as a cereal or porridge with some sweetener, though it is also quite gritty.

On a dare tried wet dog food, not sure what kind, came in a yellow can. Basically cold, really cheap soup with more gristle in the meat than human soup. Heated up with some seasoning, I could find myself looking forward to that after a long cold day out in the field, especially spruced up with some wild onions or other foraged greens.

On the "eat stuff not considered human food in the US/Europe," I've actually been eating bugs for years. Chocolate covered crickets are damn good, so are baked crickets with a little garlic salt. It all started with a raw locust, eaten on a dare, and even that wasn't really disagreeable in flavor or texture. More just my brain going "what on earth are you eating?!" than any actual unpleasantness.

Also in many parts of Asia, the likes of rat meat is eaten happily, and is even considered a delicacy in some locales.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:40 pm 

Eat dog food? Sure. Hell if I was hungry enough I'd eat the dog.

Incidentally, you ever notice that without the Marshmallows, Lucky Charms is nearly indistinguishable from cat food?

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:05 pm 

Redacted wrote:
Eat dog food? Sure. Hell if I was hungry enough I'd eat the dog.

Incidentally, you ever notice that without the Marshmallows, Lucky Charms is nearly indistinguishable from cat food?

Yep, If I were hungry enough , I would even eat canned cat...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:58 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

....Hunger is the best sauce......

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:31 am 

A story my in-laws used to tell.

My father-in-law served in both the air-force and navy during his military career. His wife traveled with him back then from base to base (Iceland to the Azores) they would hang out with other married military couples, and knew of one couple that fought a lot. The husband always made fun of her cooking. One day she made him a special 'casserole' out of canned dog food, with lots of spices and stuff to make it look appetizing. She was so embarrassed when he LOVED it. He couldn't understand why she wouldn't make it again after he praised her for it.

And sure, I'd eat pet food in a pinch. My thoughts have always been, that in the apocalypse, the place to go would be a Super Pets, one of those huge pet supply stores. Most people wouldn't have thought to hold out there so there'd be less zombies to clear out. Also pet meds could be used. Fish and bird anti-biotics are the same as peoples, just cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:02 am 

I have never understood why it's such a failure for a woman not to cook well (and why she must be the one to do so day after day after day), and such a praiseworthy thing when a man puts a few steaks on a grill a few times a summer.
It made sense 'way back' when the guys came back from war and a great many women became housewives, but why NOW when everyone works so many hours outside of the home?
/soapbox

I love it that ZombieGramps has taken over most of the cooking since he retired.
He's having a blast doing it, for him it's a novelty.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:00 pm 
I Talk to Spammers
I Talk to Spammers

ZombieGranny wrote:
I have never understood why

I can only speak for myself. One problem I have is that I am often very hungry when I start so the recipe that suggest servings for 6 might only be for 4 by the time it is ready. Also, in my house it is because I often find creative ways to add bacon.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:17 pm 

Asymetryczna wrote:
Also, in my house it is because I often find creative ways to add bacon.

You say this like there's something wrong with it...

As for the question at hand, eh, the dry stuff sure...the canned stuff, well, if I'm hungry enough I'd probably at least give it a try. As for eating the family pet, I don't know that I'd go that far, but that's mostly because the cat is such a badass little hunter; based on the regularity and number of "gifts" I've found on the front porch, she'd probably do more to keep me fed while she's alive and hunting than she would as a meal.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:04 am 

LyraJean wrote:
Say worse goes to worst you had to bug out and you haven't reached your BOL. You bugged in but now you are running low on or have no food left. Or it's so late in the TEOTWAKI that people are now scavenging.

I was watching The Walking Dead and Rick's group is scavenging for food. One of them has found some canned dog food but nothing else. They are about to dig in and eat because they are on this side of starving and Rick is all like "No, we are people we don't eat dog food."

If it came down to it would you eat canned dog or cat food?

Not only "yes", but "Hell, yes". My earliest survival training came at my father's knee, and he got it from SERE school. One thing he made very clear is you don't turn your nose up at something safe and nourishing just because it isn't shrimp scampi.

That includes pet food, the pets that would normally eat the pet food, rats, pigeons, the fat white grubs under rotten logs, termite larva, worms, crunching up minnows bones and all, etc. Not only that, you don't wait 'til you're starving. You don't let yourself get slow, let your hands get shaky, your judgement weakened, if you have a safe choice. Five days without food won't kill you... directly. Not being able to run fast and far on a moment's notice might, though.

My opinion, worth what you paid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:40 pm 

There are a lot worse things to eat out there other than dog or cat food, so if I was starving, absolutely! I've had milkbones before and they were palatable. I'm not sure how wet canned food would be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:50 pm 

I eat scrapple and we feed my dog dollar store corned beef hash. Blurry lines.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:19 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

KevinAxelrod wrote:
There are a lot worse things to eat out there other than dog or cat food, so if I was starving, absolutely! I've had milkbones before and they were palatable. I'm not sure how wet canned food would be.

If you've ever had that Dinty Moore beef stew or any canned beef stew, you're pretty close to knowing what wet dog food is like.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:22 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
I have never understood why it's such a failure for a woman not to cook well (and why she must be the one to do so day after day after day), and such a praiseworthy thing when a man puts a few steaks on a grill a few times a summer.
It made sense 'way back' when the guys came back from war and a great many women became housewives, but why NOW when everyone works so many hours outside of the home?
/soapbox

I love it that ZombieGramps has taken over most of the cooking since he retired.

It's not a failure; its a benefit. When comparing the features and benefits of something your interested in [buying] when all else is equal, the model that is 'a good cook' is the one that gets [bought] even if it costs a little more and maybe doesn't have the cool gunmetal trim, remote control, and LED accents, as the other.

QFT: the way to a mans heart is thru his ...

OT: yes

Image ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:20 pm 

I well might eat pet food in a true emergency. I'd have to be hungry enough to get over my inhibitions... but I'm sure I could if I were hungry enough.
That said, I'd be far more inclined to use it as bait to get something larger if circumstances allow.

Carrion birds and animals aside, I wonder if catfish would respond to cat food? :v: (But also wondering semi-seriously...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:46 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
I have never understood why.

If it makes you feel better I've never dated a girl that can cook. Every relationship I basically had to teach them, and in a few instances their parents, how to do basic food prep. I currently live in a house with 2 other guys, I can say that we have probably some of the best food around.

On topic: The canned cat food that I used to feed my cat had better ingredients than we were eating. I remember pulling out a steak in the "surf and turf" the thing was cooked to a perfect medium rare, completely tender, and smelled amazing. Not going to lie. The cat didn't get much after I was finished.

Never been a fan of dry kibble. I'm sure with anything if you're hungry, eat!

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:59 pm 

LaughingVulcan wrote:
Carrion birds and animals aside, I wonder if catfish would respond to cat food? :v: (But also wondering semi-seriously...)

Fish will happily bite a chunk of ham, so I'd guess a nice chunk from a can of cat food would work.
(Although, I'd probably go with a net.)

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

ZombieGranny wrote:
LaughingVulcan wrote:

Fish will happily bite a chunk of ham, so I'd guess a nice chunk from a can of cat food would work.

Back when I fished a lot with my brothers, we'd use canned corn as bait. It was cheap and it worked like magic when paired with an old Snoopy fishing rod I used.

Word of advice if anyone does that, it has to be the whole kernel type corn, not the creamed kind. I made that mistake once and while it worked, it didn't work near as well as the sweet corn I used every time before.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:17 pm 

Used to catch trout with marshmallows or a bit of cheese too.
Basically we just tried whatever was at hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:03 am 

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:
LaughingVulcan wrote:

Back when I fished a lot with my brothers, we'd use canned corn as bait. It was cheap and it worked like magic when paired with an old Snoopy fishing rod I used.

Word of advice if anyone does that, it has to be the whole kernel type corn, not the creamed kind. I made that mistake once and while it worked, it didn't work near as well as the sweet corn I used every time before.

I seem to recall my dad using Gravy Train to catch catfish when I was a kid, so...25 years ago or so? Get it just wet enough to push the hook from a bottom line through it and toss it out. The 'gravy' would draw in the catfish like crazy.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:35 pm 

Maeklos wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:
LaughingVulcan wrote:

I seem to recall my dad using Gravy Train to catch catfish when I was a kid, so...25 years ago or so? Get it just wet enough to push the hook from a bottom line through it and toss it out. The 'gravy' would draw in the catfish like crazy.

When I was much younger, my uncle showed me his great secret bait for catching catfish in VA: Vienna Sausages. I can't stand them myself (though strangely I liked them when I was a little kid), but tossing a line baited with a piece of Vienna Sausage into the water makes catfish around here go absolutely stupid. Guess it's the smell? All I know is that whenever we went fishing, he always had a can of them in his tackle box, and we never came home skunked...plus, if for some reason you weren't able to fish with them and were desperate for food, you could always eat them yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:11 am 

ZombieGranny wrote:
/soapbox

My dad taught me the basics and how to read a recipe. He did all the cooking in our house even when my parents were married. He is a professional cook so he knew what he was doing. If you ever watch Food Network, CreateTV, The Food Channel most of the cooks are men or it's close to half and half.

Meanwhile, my husband says he got married so he wouldn't have to cook anymore. :lol: He didn't even own a sheet pan when we got married 7 years ago. He did his baking by creating a sheet pan using tin foil.