It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:13 am 

I was trained in food service - a 3 gallon stewpot full of hot liquid is very hard to move.
Another problem:
My mother-in-law loved cooking at Nordstroms, as the entire place was almost all women and there was very little yelling or bad language.
My grandson is growing up cooking. He loves making something that everyone devours. :lol:
--
Back to the OP-
This is one of those situations where everyone's mind should have a splinter of thought saying "food" all the time, and each have several dump pouches to put anything that can be eaten.
Dog food by itself might not be good; but add the other stuff to it and it might not need to be "choked down", or at least followed by something to help take the taste out of the mouth if it is bad.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:34 pm 

ZombieGranny wrote:
This is one of those situations where everyone's mind should have a splinter of thought saying "food" all the time, and each have several dump pouches to put anything that can be eaten.
Dog food by itself might not be good; but add the other stuff to it and it might not need to be "choked down", or at least followed by something to help take the taste out of the mouth if it is bad.

This reminds me of shows like Chopped or Cutthroat Kitchen where the cooks have to use something like Spam or jerky and one of them goes, "Beef jerky? Who eats that stuff! It's so nasty." My first thought is usually along the lines of 'Wow, what kind of cook are you that you think <insert thing here> is nasty?' followed by 'Millions of people have and do eat it, and enjoy the hell out of it, you prissy, poncy moron.'

Food is food, and just like contestants on these shows you can make marvels out of mole butts if you get creative with it. Spices, seasonings, and dried herbs are always good things to have on hand. Mix a little dog food with rice, throw in some cayenne, oregano, smoked paprika, and season salt and you're good to go.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:28 am 

Asymetryczna wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:
I have never understood why

. Also, in my house it is because I often find creative ways to add bacon.

you say that like its a bad thing.... :awesome:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:23 pm 

Maeklos wrote:
This is why I pack a pair of heavy-duty rat traps. They work much better than snares and primitive trapping techniques, are almost endlessly reusable, and pretty lethal to anything the size of a squirrel on down. In my general experience, varmints (rats, mice, voles - even some types of squirrels in some places) can be hunted or trapped any time of the year and without a hunting or trapping license.

A rat trap will also work on virtually any bird up to an including turkey and geese, their necks are a whole lot more fragile than that of even the most anorexic rat, you can even use them to trap duck by attaching it to a plank of wood that is floated out on the water tethered to the shore.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds
forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece
of shit by the clean end."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:48 pm 

I clearly remember back in the late Sixties when the Fed made all the producers of pet food clean up their acts. No more garbage & rotten food in the cans, etc.

The government made them start making pet food that could be eaten by humans without harm.

It wasn't just that rugrats would gobble up a few handfuls now and then. They weren't worried about little kids at all.

The real problem was that too many old people were winding up dead or in the hospital from eating canned pet food.

The reason they were doing that was that pet food was all they could afford on their Social Security.

It was getting into the news and giving the SSA a really bad rep.

Which they wholeheartedly deserved.

Talk to someone trying to live off just SS today: Things haven't changed much, except that now the meds are so expensive you can't even afford pet food on most days that end in "day".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:47 pm 

I have willingly eaten hákarl (although I only ever plan to again if there isn't any other food), so I'm pretty sure I'd eat canned cat or dog food if I was hungry enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:56 pm 

UncleMorgan wrote:
The reason they were doing that was that pet food was all they could afford on their Social Security.

I've never quite understood that. THe cheapest can dogfood is about the same price as store brand can spagetti, soup, veggies, and so on.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:49 am 

I worked at an animal shelter for a while when I was younger, and we had to make a slurry of different canned food for the puppies and kittens. Canned dog food tastes at best like pate, and at worst like Hormel beef stew. Seriously.

Cat food OTOH isn't particularly to my personal taste, but YMMV. It's more metallic and extra salty, plus usually has some sort of fish flavor which, while I love fish, I don't personally care for.

I've eaten dog biscuits for a snack before, they taste like really boring crackers.

Ultimately, no reason not to eat these things if you needed to.

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:11 am 

A little hot sauce makes anything palatable