It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:46 am 

Say worse goes to worst you had to bug out and you haven't reached your BOL. You bugged in but now you are running low on or have no food left. Or it's so late in the TEOTWAKI that people are now scavenging.

I was watching The Walking Dead and Rick's group is scavenging for food. One of them has found some canned dog food but nothing else. They are about to dig in and eat because they are on this side of starving and Rick is all like "No, we are people we don't eat dog food."

If it came down to it would you eat canned dog or cat food?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:27 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

LyraJean wrote:
If it came down to it would you eat canned dog or cat food?

What do you mean, "if"? :lol:

I've eaten *dry* dog food intentionally.

I've eaten canned cat food (as an ingredient in another dish) without knowing it at the time. Back when I was a student(1) a friend cooked up a curry and only told us all it was curried cat food after we'd eaten it. It did taste a little strange but it was still edible.

I've not eaten either straight from the can, but based on the smell I think dog food is more appetising than cat food!

(1) Lots of my odder tales begin "Back when I was a student ..." :)

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:51 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I had a friend in high school who got halfway into a bag of Snausages before he realized it was dog food. :lol:

As for me eating dog food, if it meant I didn't die of starvation and lived another day, sure I'd eat dog food. I've eaten that Dinty Moore beef stew and that stuff is pretty close to being dog food anyway.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:08 am 

Sure.
I'd rather not eat canned if there's anything else, but the kids thought the soft kibble was good.
I remember checking with the kids' doctor when they kept snitching the cheese bits out of the Kibbles & Bits and she said don't fret about it.
When I was a kid, lots of us ate those milkbone-type dog biscuits as snacks.

Canned cat food usually smells like mackerel to me.

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:16 am 

Anyone who says "I wouldn't eat (insert non-traditional food here)" just hasn't been hungry enough yet.

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:54 pm 

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
Anyone who says "I wouldn't eat (insert non-traditional food here)" just hasn't been hungry enough yet.

Seems like it has been a while. Good to see ya back!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:37 pm 

Honestly, most of those "fancy" cat and dog foods that cost a buck apiece probably have more wholesome ingredients than a dollar can of human food...

As for what goes into most canned pet foods, there's nothing that can go into them that would hurt a human. They're made to a higher standard than produced most canned and frozen human foods just a few decades ago.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:41 pm 

It worked for Max Rockatansky.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:29 pm 

Considering I have tried pet food already (both dried and canned), no problems here with eating it in a dire emergency. Some of the treats are tasty enough to be mistaken for human snacks as illustrated by the Snausages story above. While there can be some texture issues with dried or canned pet foods, if truly hungry that would not matter in the least.

I remember the WD episode and remember thinking that was one of the stupidest messages in the WD. To pass up real food when it is presented due to out dated BS concepts of it is only for pets. That sort of thinking is what causes people to die of starvation when there is still food around them.

Drawing the line at cannibalism, sure understandable. But saying no to pet food is just stupid. Hell, I would eat the pet too. Dog, cat, horse, etc I don't care that is meat to survive. After SHTF those old bias just don't hold up and to stick to them is to court death.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
I remember the WD episode and remember thinking that was one of the stupidest messages in the WD. To pass up real food when it is presented due to out dated BS concepts of it is only for pets. That sort of thinking is what causes people to die of starvation when there is still food around them.

Drawing the line at cannibalism, sure understandable. But saying no to pet food is just stupid. Hell, I would eat the pet too. Dog, cat, horse, etc I don't care that is meat to survive. After SHTF those old bias just don't hold up and to stick to them is to court death.

Americans, by and large, have some of the most ridiculous dietary prejudices in the world. Europe's up there, too. Lot of tasty things like insects, various gastropods, non-"accepted" meats like raccoon, possum, rat, pigeon all get pooh-pooh'd by the majority of people in these areas. Funny thing is, the stuff that the peasant/country folk eat tends to wind up in gourmet restaurants sooner or later.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:20 pm 

Maeklos wrote:
Funny thing is, the stuff that the peasant/country folk eat tends to wind up in gourmet restaurants sooner or later.

Back in the day lobster was considered so lowly a food that there were rules on how often could be served to indentured servants. I forget who, one of the oldschool robber barons (a Rockafeller, Rothchild, Morgan or similar) sampled his servant's lobster stew and absolutely fell in love with lobster. Due to him, it quickly turned from a poor desperate people's food, to a delicacy and something only the rich could afford as he got all his cronies into eating lobster. And of course due to the sudden high price the demand sky rocketed and the poor went lobster catching to fill the demand and their pockets.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:26 pm 

Maeklos wrote:
Lot of tasty things like insects, various gastropods, non-"accepted" meats like raccoon, possum, rat, pigeon all get pooh-pooh'd by the majority of people in these areas.

Yep I am a big advocate of insects as survival food, and would not turn up my nose at the other animals if in survival mod either. Though I do have a general thing about small animals under the size of a rabbit. If times are not lean, I just can't advocate the taking the life of them for such small returns. Insects you tend to be able to make up for it with numbers, but it can be difficult to get a quantity of small mammals or birds to make it worth your while to make a meal of them. Though if you can you do get greater returns than insects.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post apocalyptic literature is full of the concept:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7lMlz3DX_Q

and the temples of his gods".

Buy "The Kingdom of Saudi Australia in paperback, ebook or kindle:
http://Www.lulu.com/spotlight/JustinLuke

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:57 pm 

Once you've done it once or a dozen times like I may or may not have, it's not a big deal.

I think cultural norms and stigmata will give way to survival and nesecity in a PAW.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 pm 

ineffableone wrote:
Though I do have a general thing about small animals under the size of a rabbit. If times are not lean, I just can't advocate the taking the life of them for such small returns.

This is why I pack a pair of heavy-duty rat traps. They work much better than snares and primitive trapping techniques, are almost endlessly reusable, and pretty lethal to anything the size of a squirrel on down. In my general experience, varmints (rats, mice, voles - even some types of squirrels in some places) can be hunted or trapped any time of the year and without a hunting or trapping license.

With that being said, varmints are also low on my list of wild edibles simply because of the tendency to carry parasites and diseases. Though, putting a rat trap to use catching field mice for use in baiting traps for larger game or for running trotlines is a good way to turn small game into large game.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:04 pm 

Hiroshima_Morphine wrote:
Once you've done it once or a dozen times like I may or may not have, it's not a big deal.

I think cultural norms and stigmata will give way to survival and nesecity in a PAW.

I actually came to like roasted crickets smothered in butter and garlic. And I would not turn my nose up at the ants they eat as snacks in South America - roasted, typically dusted with sugar and cinnamon.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:48 pm 

I remember reading a Dear Abby once and a mom wrote in. She said they used to be really poor and one day she made a casserole using canned cat food. She didn't tell her kids it was cat food and apparently they loved it. Now she says her kids are grown and they keep asking her for the recipe to that casserole she made that one time when they were kids. She didn't know how to tell them that they ate cat food or if she even wanted to tell them that. I wish now that I remembered Abby's response.

Yeah, I thought it was insanely dumb for Rick's group to not eat the dog food. It's meat, it's food, and it will keep you from starving.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:20 pm 

September 1974
By ABIGAIL VAN BLREN
DEAR ABBY: A reader wrote confessing that she had served her family a casserole containing tuna cat food. (They didn't know what was in it, but found it so “delicious'’ they asked her to make it again.) Her question; "Is there something in cal food that will harm humans?" Your reply: “I didn’t pussyfoot around. I went right to the leading cat food manufacturer, and the word from them is: "Don’t serve cat food to humans.” Abby, you copped out with your answer. I would like to know why pet food shouldn’t be served to humans. Does it contain something that is indeed harmful to humans or not? Are the conditions under which it is canned sufficiently sanitary for animals, but not for humans? Please give a straight answer to my questions.
STEADY READER
-
DEAR READER; In defense of my first reply, a spokes man for a very large pet food company very cagily declined to commit himself, hence my admittedly inadequate answer. However, your letter (and many others) promoted me to lake another stab at it, so I called the Food and Drug Administration, and after speaking with a Daniel Clink. I knew this time I was barking up the right tree.
ABBY: "Is pet food safe for humans? Yes or no?”
CLINK: It’s safe for humans - but not recommended.’’
ABBY: "Here we go again WHY is it not recommended for humans?”
CLINK: “Because pet food is nutritionally balanced for animals not humans and the nutritional requirements for each are vastly different.”
ABBY: "All right, but it’s highly unlikely that a human would confine his diet exclusively to pet food, so if someone wanted to fill his stomach, an occasional Alpo meatloaf wouldn't kill him. would it?”
CLINK: "Certainly not. But there’s another reason why pet food is not recommended for humans. You see. most pet foods contain certain parts of animals that humans wouldn't care to eat for psychological reasons. Like the lungs, intestines, spleens, stomachs, and "
ABBY; “Thanks, I think I get the Idea. How about the regulations with regard to sanitation?”
CLINK: "Oh. pet food manufacturers are required to meet very high standards with regard to those conditions. And the government inspectors make sure these standards are met."
So now. dear readers, you know as much as I do about why pet food is sale for humans but not recommended

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:45 am 

Eat pet food? No way in h3ll

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... -dog-food/

Ick.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:04 am 

TacAir wrote:

I think industry standards have changed quite a bit in 26 years, especially considering the various "shocking discoveries" and public outcries that tend to crop up every few years in the Pet Food industry.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:08 am 

Dentist Mike Sagman (the editor of that site) has an agenda, just like a great many people.
People should always exercise due diligence before accepting articles as unbiased truth.

One can find stories like that about human food places as well.
I recall 'horror' stories about chicken and hog butcheries.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:27 am 

I served with a guy that chowed down on a certain brand of dog biscuits like it was candy. He ate them for the high protein content.

If it will keep me alive im good.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:15 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

kibble straight no problem
Canned food would prefer some crackers with it.

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:13 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

If I'm in a situation where it's either eat pet food to continue living or starve to death, I'm going with eating the pet food.

It'd be my life on the line, not his, so his opinion would mean absolute squat to me then.

12_Gauge_Chimp's blog