Long term survival.

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

grumpyviking

Long term survival.

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:12 am

i'm putting this up for discussion after comments elsewhere on the forum.
I want to talk about long term scenarios as in its not getting back to normal anytime soon and probably never will.
the reasons don't really matter but its probably something that is civilian in nature, not war and not invasion, not a nuclear attack but something that brings a "societal collapse" over all the industrialised nations which is pretty much all of them.
the power grid is down, so no heating, cooking or lighting from any mains supply that includes mains gas too as, at least in the UK, the controls are electric too.
the shops are empty, fuel stations -shops including supermarkets-ATM's and banks-elevators-automatic doors are all down because of no power.
the death rates after a few months will be huge , its estimated as high as 90-95%, first to die will be anyone needing hospital care, then anyone relying on outside help to survive like community nurses and carers, then the addicts-when their supply of their chosen drug both legal and illegal dries up, finally those who haven't prepared and have no food other than the normal 3-5 days worth they keep at home, those suffering from diseases contracted from lack of sanitation when the mains shut down, and finally the suicide rates will rocket sky high when the enormity of the situation hits home.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Re: Long term survival.

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:06 am

Was there a question somewhere in there or you just want to set up some fantasy Day of the Triffids scenario?

Global influenza pandemic, triple the devastation of the Spanish Flu of 1918? That's only 120 million out of 7 billion? Sand off the beach.

Coronal Mass Ejections that fry every electrical circuit on the planet? The Amish become the new power brokers in North America and the African Continent becomes the power continent since they have both been growing food without electricity.

How about a mass extinction event like a meteor strike? There won't be any thing to survive, it is called extinction for a reason.

So what was it you wanted to do with this fantasy?
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:24 am

Can you please state your answer in the form of a question? You say you want to talk about long term survival scenarios and then say the scenario does not matter. If everything just suddenly stopped working for some inexplicable reason I would try very hard to get it working again.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:13 am

I suppose one could say that the preps most of us have for short- to medium-term disasters would at best serve as a bridge to a day when those resources are exhausted and it becomes evident that a TEOTWAWKI situation has indeed arrived.

At that point, only those who have developed some serious primitive self sufficiency skills (and some substantial social bonds) are likely to survive anything approaching a full life. I for one have the social bonds, but not the serious self sufficiency skills. At this point in my life, and based on my own personal risk assessment of likely disaster scenarios, I'm prepping for a serious natural or manmade disaster of a temporary nature; one that humanity will bounce back from eventually. The most I would be willing to do to prep for a total and permanent societal collapse would be to continue expanding my modest bushcraft and gardening skills, and maybe acquire the reference materials (eg, the Foxfire books) for longer term survival.

What's rarely discussed in these fantasy "last man standing" scenarios is whether continued life under those circumstances is even worth living. Or whether the lone prepper has the mental fortitude to persevere under those conditions.

It's really hard to talk specifics without laying out the scenario that caused the collapse.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:19 am

lets just say the power grid shut down for instance, that's not so unbelievable here in the UK, demand is expected to outstrip supply if we have a bad winter this year-we are certainly due one.
or maybe a cyber attack or a physical attack by those nasty little ISIL terrorists blows every relay and circuit in the British power grid, now I read somewhere if this happens then it will take 2 YEARS to replace them all as the parts are not held in stock but have to be made by special order probably somewhere abroad.
any shut down of the power grid would also have a knock on effect on the banking and communication systems, in effect shutting these down too.
can you see the british public sitting back patiently for 2 years for the power to be restored? NO, me neither, there will be rioting in the streets as all the anarchists and street scum loot everything not nailed down.
like I said the scenario is not the problem its the end result of whatever causes the event that is.

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:51 am

I'm not sure if this is an "end of civilization forever" scenario or "localized issues for the UK for 2 years" scenario.

In the latter case, the EU would step in to provide support. The former case would probably require the UN to be involved as well.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:23 am

B&Q wrote:I'm not sure if this is an "end of civilization forever" scenario or "localized issues for the UK for 2 years" scenario.

In the latter case, the EU would step in to provide support. The former case would probably require the UN to be involved as well.
hopefully by then the UK will no longer be a member of the EU. and its the former scenario for your imformation(as in "societal collapse").
once the power goes off that's it, the end of society as we know it, I don't think there are many people out there (especially in the UK)who could live(or would want to) without electricity, I heard some guy say during a power cut last winter "its like living in the middle ages"(the power was only off for about 8 hours) and that is the view of most people these days.

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:31 am

grumpyviking wrote: hopefully by then the UK will no longer be a member of the EU. and its the former scenario for your imformation(as in "societal collapse" or the end of civilisation as we know it).
Then it will definitely need the UN to be involved.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:34 am

B&Q wrote:
grumpyviking wrote: hopefully by then the UK will no longer be a member of the EU. and its the former scenario for your imformation(as in "societal collapse" or the end of civilisation as we know it).
Then it will definitely need the UN to be involved.
if it still exists, ok if its only the UK maybe, but what if it was worldwide? an EMP say? in any case I don't think the UN is interested in a small island like the UK-not worthy enough, its not like we've got huge untapped oil fields is it?

B&Q

Post by B&Q » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:47 am

grumpyviking wrote: if it still exists, ok if its only the UK maybe, but what if it was worldwide? an EMP say?...
Surely an EMP would only get half the world? The other half would be in "shadow".

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:50 am

B&Q wrote:
grumpyviking wrote: if it still exists, ok if its only the UK maybe, but what if it was worldwide? an EMP say?...
Surely an EMP would only get half the world? The other half would be in "shadow".
yeah, but which half? the rich half WITH electricity or the poor half WITHOUT electricity? :lol:
I wouldn't be so sure about an EMP getting only half.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:18 am

Well for long term, without dealing with what put you there, your likely highest priority beyond water would be securing renewable food source.

For renewable foods chickens, rabbits, goats, and other livestock. As well as seeds you can plant, harvest, and let go to seed to save the seeds for next harvest. Of course it would be better to have a garden now rather than wait for collapse. You should also always keep a store of essential seeds ready to travel in case you have to bug out and have to start over.

If you don't have the ability to raise animals and/or if you can't grow a garden, then I would suggest you make sure you have quite a good store of food to be able to last until you get a crop from a garden when you are able to plant. And remember to plan according to the longest time it would take. If it were fall and SHTF and you couldn't plant till spring when will you first start seeing a harvest, and do you have enough stored food to last that long. Also take into account you might have to wait several months for chaos to settle down before you plant anything. Hungry people see you have a garden and well your in trouble.

As for me, like majorhavoc I would be relying on my bushcraft and gardening skills as well as homesteading and permaculture skills. I have been working toward getting acreage and I am about a year away from starting a homestead.

Once on property I will have a lot less to worry about than right now even without having built an infrastructure on it yet. A few years of having the land and I will be set pretty well for a decent future there. Though will make sure to still have an exit strategy.

Right now though, I would end up needing to travel a fair distance to get to where I would want to end up. I have it planned and have a few good stops along the way where I can stay with friends. Or might end up staying long term with those friends. A lot will depend on what is going on, if I have a vehicle, how crazy the world has gotten, what season it is, etc.

Something I think a lot of folks get caught up in is over planning. Adaptability and being able to adjust as things change will likely be very critical. So while thinking things out is good, focusing just on one plan and if that gets blocked you can be just as messed up as those folks running around in the streets.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:57 am

I'm editing out my response...
As the thread has gone in an entirely different direction than I thought it would, this response has become 'off topic'.
Carry on!
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:15 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Ok, so I'm back to where I started.
I have more knowledge than my mother did, so we can make more use of the area.

We kept 'warm' with a large woodstove shaped like a box in the center room, with a cooking surface. The kitchen also had a small woodstove.
Our water came from the creek down a garden hose into the kitchen.
We had one light bulb in the kitchen (because of the small refrigerator), lanterns were in other rooms.
There was an outhouse.
Our bathtub was a galvanized tub, outside in warm weather (easier to fill and empty). One person after another used it, adding boiling water each time to the cooling water. Emptied and turned over to dry after the last user.
We had cats that hunted rodents, dogs that protected us from other vermin.
I doubt our firepower would really have kept out the bears, but it worked on smaller animals.
We picked berries to try to stretch our food.
-
Take care of your tools! They can mean the difference between life and death. Run out of wood during a snowstorm and you're screwed. A good tool can be handed down to kids and grandkids. Porcupines will gnaw the handle off a cast iron skillet - protect your tools!
Filter your drinking water. We took our chances, but as long as you have one, filter it. After that the most you can do is boil it.
Take care of your lanterns. Clean glass gives much more light than dirty glass. Keep the wicks trimmed and set so there is no, or little, smoke. Watch out for candles - many little girls burned to death due to clothing catching on fire.
The kids that pees in the bathtub gets it last. I've pointed this out before.
Vent your outhouse. Smells better, boy kids are less likely to pee in the yard, and is healthier. Separate pee and poop as much as possible.
Take care of your animals Comb out fleas, put down bedding like cedar that fleas don't like, remove porcupine quills promptly (and watch that animal, some want revenge and never learn).
Learn everything that you can about edibles in your area. All we knew about was the berries, but there was so much more there that we could have eaten or drank.
-
Is that the sort of response you're looking for?
good reply ZG!! yes that's the sort of thing! we all KNOW here what we have to do i'm sure, but what about the unprepared general public, in a country(UK) where preppers, survivalists, bushcrafters, offgridders and even campers measure less than 1% of the population, that's where the problems will be, in a society that is made up of SPECALISTS, where having a larder is looked on as "weird" and having a store of food is "hoarding", where anyone who prepares is laughed at and called paranoid, the "die off" WTSHTF will be COLLOSSAL , this will lead to an upsurge in disease caused by poor sanitation and lack of clean water.
within a few months, a year at most, we will have reverted to pre industrialisation population levels, in 1750 as the British industrial revolution began the population numbered 6 million or less than 10% of what it is now, I truly believe it will be that again.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:35 pm

I want to talk about long term scenarios as in its not getting back to normal anytime soon

something that brings a "societal collapse" over all the industrialised nations - the power grid is down, so no heating, cooking or lighting from any mains supply that includes mains gas too as, at least in the UK, the controls are electric too. - the shops are empty, fuel stations -shops including supermarkets-ATM's and banks-elevators-automatic doors are all down because of no power.

first to die will be anyone needing hospital care, then anyone relying on outside help to survive like community nurses and carers, then the addicts-when their supply of their chosen drug both legal and illegal dries up, finally those who haven't prepared and have no food other than the normal 3-5 days worth they keep at home, those suffering from diseases contracted from lack of sanitation when the mains shut down, and finally the suicide rates will rocket sky high when the enormity of the situation hits home.

lets just say the power grid shut down - a cyber attack or a physical attack - blows every relay and circuit in the British power grid - it will take 2 YEARS to replace them all - effect on the banking and communication systems, in effect shutting these down too. - anarchists and street scum loot everything not nailed down.

the UK will no longer be a member of the EU - the UN is(n't) interested in (helping) the UK
Ok, I stripped out most of the drama and bitching from your posts to make a more cohesive scenario. You say the scenario does not matter but it matters quite a bit. If local terrorists take down the power grid vs. a CME event rendering electronics world wide non-functional are two very different things.

ISIS for example has no known capability to "blow every relay and circuit in the British power grid". Even an EMP event would not do that. It is questionable if a CME event could although it is more probable. Power grids have various surge protections and breakers to protect sensitive equipment in the event of an EMP event or surge.

Your scenario also sets up the UK for weakness by removing any support from the outside world community. Not sure the mechanism by which the UK becomes a pariah nation unable to count on support from other nations and the world community but it would have to be a pretty significant event that would involve a take over of power and the transformation of the state internally into a dictatorship worse than the DPRK or general acts of atrocities by the central government beyond anything we have ever seen on the planet since the founding of the UN to date where absolutely no one would come help. This would be completely unprecedented and of much larger concern than the grid being down.

Without more details (that would be difficult to do without going into politics) I am not sure where you are going with that or how you got there. However I will point out that even if the EU and UN failed the UK the UK is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations, the G7, the G8, the G20, the International Monetary Fund, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, the World Bank, and the World Trade Organization, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. Most of those the UK is a founding member. So all those organization would have to fail them as well.

Another assertion:
UK-not worthy enough, its not like we've got huge untapped oil fields is it?
The UK is one of the world's largest oil producers and is (barely) a net importer of oil. In a grid down situation where oil is not running electrical machinery and generators there would be a huge surplus of the stuff. Most production is off shore and not grid dependent. Regardless your assessment is incorrect.

One of the more worrying parts of the scenario:
effect on the banking and communication systems, in effect shutting these down too
Because the UK is central to the world banking system this could cause significant disruptions in service through out the world. There are various "work arounds" for that but it would be painful.

Part of your scenario I find confusing has to do with your estimations of how people will die and how quickly:
first to die will be anyone needing hospital care, then anyone relying on outside help to survive like community nurses and carers, then the addicts-when their supply of their chosen drug both legal and illegal dries up, finally those who haven't prepared and have no food other than the normal 3-5 days worth they keep at home
I am not sure how it works in the UK; however in the US according to that then 90% of the trouble makers will be dead within 3-5 days. You see in the US nearly all crime is drug related. Not to say that all drug addicts are criminals (they are not) but nearly all criminals abuse drugs heavily. So if they all die in the first 3-5 days how do we have:
anarchists and street scum loot everything not nailed down.
However I don't see how all the drug addicts could die within 3-5 days in even the worst case scenario. Some may but most will simply detox painfully. Since most of them will be helpless during this time while they go through withdrawal or DT's or whatever they won't be causing problems either. So I am not sure if that is realistic at all. Perhaps in the first 24 hours?

This also confuse me:
finally the suicide rates will rocket sky high when the enormity of the situation hits home.
I am not sure how we get that out of a long term gird down situation. One thing I can tell you from having spent a fair amount of time in third world shit holes without running water and electricity is that the suicide rate there is near 0. The only exception being when they are living under such an oppressive state that death is a good alternative. If your "pariah nation" scenario somehow comes to pass then, maybe?

People simply don't have time for all the drama bullshit that they artificially construct through mental illness when they are busy trying to survive day to day. Sure, some of the more depressed mentally ill may be driven over the edge but you are talking a tiny fraction of the population.

Anyhow.... The only questions you asked:
can you see the british public sitting back patiently for 2 years for the power to be restored?
Well no, of course not. People bitch when the power is off for two hours. Two years would involve a dramatic effort on the part of the government in organizing and employing resources to get the lights back on. I guess if any country could do it it would be the UK. (Current UK, not the fantasy dictatorship scenario UK) They have all the right resources in place and could call on a number of nation allies to assist them in getting things running again.
if it (the UN) still exists, ok if its only the UK maybe, but what if it was worldwide? an EMP say?
This would clearly take longer than two years to get things running again. If you are going to have a fantasy magic scenario where everything electrical grid related just suddenly blows up for some unknown reason leaving all the people intact then that would be a puzzle.

But I think ZG is on the right track.
Shall be my brother

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:52 pm

grumpyviking wrote: the "die off" WTSHTF will be COLLOSSAL , this will lead to an upsurge in disease caused by poor sanitation and lack of clean water.
within a few months, a year at most, we will have reverted to pre industrialisation population levels, in 1750 as the British industrial revolution began the population numbered 6 million or less than 10% of what it is now, I truly believe it will be that again.
I don't think the "die off" will be rapid though, and the economic devastation you envision will result in environmental devastation as people cut down trees for fuel, disrupt crops planting, eat everything they read might be edible in whatever survival manual they can get a hold of, and generally do everything they can to survive. In this scenario, I do not see us supporting even that level of population, as any study of Britain during the Agrarian Revolution will show it was also a society of specialists and relied heavily on trade and transport to keep it's population fed and necessary supplies provided to grow that food.

I also know I'm not the best of spellers or a grammatical perfectionist, but there is a Rule, Proofread before posting. which asks you please to make a little more of an effort.
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:57 pm

sigh
Last edited by Stercutus on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shall be my brother

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Ad'lan wrote:I also know I'm not the best of spellers or a grammatical perfectionist, but there is a [url=2.) Proofread before posting.
If it’s important enough for you to post it, you probably want us to understand it. This means using proper spelling, good grammar, punctuation, and capitals if it helps with clarity. Typos happen, but full paragraphs of misspelled words with no punctuation are difficult to read and won’t be taken seriously (if anyone bothers to read them). ]Rule[/url] which asks you please to make a little more of an effort.
OK is it just me or is it a bit funny that a paragraph about typos etc... has an odd url thing that is likely a typo (or at least forum insert url button wrong push) in it? Sorry Ad'lan, I bet your editing right now. It was just too funny to not capture. :wink:
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:05 pm

Really, guys?
You told him to start his own thread about how to handle no 'modern conveniences' so he would not keep "shitting up" yours.
So he did.

I have something to contribute to this thread, if I can get a word in edgewise between you all stomping on his head.
Will you kindly stop ?
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:48 pm

ineffableone wrote:
Ad'lan wrote:I also know I'm not the best of spellers or a grammatical perfectionist, but there is a [url=2.) Proofread before posting.
If it’s important enough for you to post it, you probably want us to understand it. This means using proper spelling, good grammar, punctuation, and capitals if it helps with clarity. Typos happen, but full paragraphs of misspelled words with no punctuation are difficult to read and won’t be taken seriously (if anyone bothers to read them). ]Rule[/url] which asks you please to make a little more of an effort.
OK is it just me or is it a bit funny that a paragraph about typos etc... has an odd url thing that is likely a typo (or at least forum insert url button wrong push) in it? Sorry Ad'lan, I bet your editing right now. It was just too funny to not capture. :wink:
Mea Culpea, Mea Maxima Culpea.

ZombieGranny wrote:Really, guys?
You told him to start his own thread about how to handle no 'modern conveniences' so he would not keep "shitting up" yours.
So he did.

I have something to contribute to this thread, if I can get a word in edgewise between you all stomping on his head.
Will you kindly stop ?
Very fair ZG, but he didn't actually ask us how to live without modern conveniences or how we'd handle any specific or general scenario. In between the sniping and snide comments, there's a lot of people answering or expanding on what they think his question's are.

In an effort to provide more signal than noise.
lets just say the power grid shut down for instance, that's not so unbelievable here in the UK, demand is expected to outstrip supply if we have a bad winter this year-we are certainly due one.
Rolling brownouts would not surprise me (trying to get my workplace more prepared for the possibility. Lots of expensive equipment needing constant power, we have no unified emergency shut down policy).
or maybe a cyber attack or a physical attack by those nasty little ISIL terrorists blows every relay and circuit in the British power grid, now I read somewhere if this happens then it will take 2 YEARS to replace them all as the parts are not held in stock but have to be made by special order probably somewhere abroad.
To get back full usage? Probably even longer, to get back some usage? Much faster. There were plans for recovery from complete power grid failure that have now been declassified, I'm sure they've kept on top of them at GCHQ.
any shut down of the power grid would also have a knock on effect on the banking and communication systems, in effect shutting these down too.
Another world wide recession is precipitated, but we've lived through them before and we will again.
can you see the british public sitting back patiently for 2 years for the power to be restored? NO, me neither, there will be rioting in the streets as all the anarchists and street scum loot everything not nailed down.
And just like the last time the riots happened, you will see the wider public uniting to clean it up.

Martial law will be enforced and the Army Reserve, those in the cadet forces and any bod on the reserve list who know how to walk and talk will be back in uniform. Rationing will be reinstiuted as the Just in Time system we currently have will collapse. The dole will be literal and fuel will be much more costly (I expect a lot of it to be commandeered for powering water and sewage pumping) so wide spread unemployment will result. Commuter villages will be abandoned (and there was great rejoicing) as those unable to live rurally will move closer to the population centers for government support.
like I said the scenario is not the problem its the end result of whatever causes the event that is.
Depending on the event, and the nature of the scenario will massively change the nature of the end result. Is it slow or fast, is it caused by an enemy we can unite against or our own hubris? Do we feel divided or united as a society? All of this changes how I will handle this.
hopefully by then the UK will no longer be a member of the EU.
Give how much Aid EU member states give to non-EU member states, a political seperation from Brussels would not, I think, prevent our European neighbors aiding us. Not to mention the commonwealth, our "special relationship" and the vast amount of Ex-pats abroad.
once the power goes off that's it, the end of society as we know it, I don't think there are many people out there (especially in the UK)who could live(or would want to) without electricity, I heard some guy say during a power cut last winter "its like living in the middle ages"(the power was only off for about 8 hours) and that is the view of most people these days.
I agree, but I've already seen Society as we know it end and I'm a mere stripling to the changes ZG has seen. Society will still exist and we'll have to function in it. There are few scenarios I can see where society does not exist, and most of them involve almost everyone dying.
good reply ZG!! yes that's the sort of thing! we all KNOW here what we have to do i'm sure, but what about the unprepared general public, in a country(UK) where preppers, survivalists, bushcrafters, offgridders and even campers measure less than 1% of the population, that's where the problems will be, in a society that is made up of SPECALISTS, where having a larder is looked on as "weird" and having a store of food is "hoarding", where anyone who prepares is laughed at and called paranoid.
Even if everyone in the UK were a full on prepper, survivalist bushcrafter, our population is too dense to support us off the grid. There are simply too many people in the UK for the carrying capacity of the land, even with modern agriculture. (http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/issue/uk.html), although in bulk calories, we might just be able to do it, if we maintain the system that grows it all.
the "die off" WTSHTF will be COLLOSSAL , this will lead to an upsurge in disease caused by poor sanitation and lack of clean water.

Although I agree there will be an upsurge in disease as sanitation becomes harder, I don't think a fast 90% die off is reasonable from infrastructure collapse.

I think Asteroid impact is much more likely to cause this sort of devastation than any localised problem. Give what we know about them, and their frequency, this is not one I dismiss lightly. A small one is a cosmic nuke, a large one is MAD for the world, as everyone will be busy looking out for themselves.
My Guide to Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:05 am

i'm not the only one who thinks this is a possibility, but I see no point in wasting any further breath on the subject, I tried but it seems I failed. I find it highly amusing that my thoughts are labelled as "fantasy" on a forum dedicated to zombies!! :rofl:
given the comments in reply to my thread, I take it most here think "the human race has come too far to fail"? whereas I think it just has further to fall and therefore the impact will be greater, the majority of the population relies heavily on the technology of the age, take that away and they will be as helpless as little babies, and the consequences will be dire and immediate.
anyway, that's it, I am done with this subject now.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:10 am

grumpyviking wrote:i'm not the only one who thinks this is a possibility, but I see no point in wasting any further breath on the subject, I tried but it seems I failed. I find it highly amusing that my thoughts are labelled as "fantasy" on a forum dedicated to zombies!! :rofl:
given the comments in reply to my thread, I take it most here think "the human race has come too far to fail"? whereas I think it just has further to fall and therefore the impact will be greater, the majority of the population relies heavily on the technology of the age, take that away and they will be as helpless as little babies, and the consequences will be dire and immediate.
Of dire and immidiate, I think immidiate is the one most everyone quibbles with (it's the one I do) although as I and others have mentioned, there are scenario's where we agree it could happen.

Also, we're not a forum dedicated to zombies, we're a forum dedicated to using zombies as a hook to get people into prepping, although the fiction and Zombie combat tactics are fun sections of he forum I enjoy.
My Guide to Fletching

FreeThought

Post by FreeThought » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:52 am

Ad'lan wrote:
grumpyviking wrote:i'm not the only one who thinks this is a possibility, but I see no point in wasting any further breath on the subject, I tried but it seems I failed. I find it highly amusing that my thoughts are labelled as "fantasy" on a forum dedicated to zombies!! :rofl:
Of dire and immidiate, I think immidiate is the one most everyone quibbles with (it's the one I do) although as I and others have mentioned, there are scenario's where we agree it could happen.

Also, we're not a forum dedicated to zombies, we're a forum dedicated to using zombies as a hook to get people into prepping, although the fiction and Zombie combat tactics are fun sections of he forum I enjoy.

Really? So in your world a total breakdown of the grid structure etc. doesn't have immediate (note spelling) consequences? How does that work exactly?

Personally I must agree with what Granny stated , seems like certain individuals wished another specific individual to start a different thread and stay out of their hair ,subsequent to that those selfsame individuals then wished to dictate what was stated within said thread rather than allow an open and potential quite interesting discussion to develop.

Appears to be a personal problem from this seat , and not one endemic to the original poster.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:20 am

FreeThought wrote:
Ad'lan wrote:

Really? So in your world a total breakdown of the grid structure etc. doesn't have immediate (note spelling) consequences? How does that work exactly?

Personally I must agree with what Granny stated , seems like certain individuals wished another specific individual to start a different thread and stay out of their hair ,subsequent to that those selfsame individuals then wished to dictate what was stated within said thread rather than allow an open and potential quite interesting discussion to develop.

Appears to be a personal problem from this seat , and not one endemic to the original poster.
I should note, I'm one of the few people on this board who can censor you if I wish too, I have not, will not, and consider the insinuation that any mod would censor the users for personal disagreements insulting. Posting disagreement and discussion is the point of an Internet forum. I do not wish to see any discussion halted and I think my contributions to this thread have been positive, despite commit to different conclusions in some regards to other posters.

Would the Grid going down have immediate impact yes, but it wouldn't immediately cause WROL across the UK.
My Guide to Fletching

Return to “What Would You Do?”