Yellowstone Supervolcano

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Yellowstone Supervolcano

Post by Shiloh » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:20 pm

I was on a youtube binge last night and start watching some documentaries about the Yellowstone supervolcano. It got me thinking, how could you possibly prepare for a disaster like that one? In this case, I'm going with two possible scenarios for discussion:

Scenario 1:
-Geologists monitoring YS observe increased levels of activity and make an estimate that there will be a total eruption in approximately two months, but only with 75% or so certainty. Meaning that it might not erupt at all, it could be a degraded event, or it'll go all the way.

Scenario 2:
-No prior warning. Out of nowhere, yellowstone goes at 100%. Full eruption of the main volcano, along with some of the smaller surrounding coldaras.

(NOTE: I am not a scientist. I am not a geologist. Everything I'm talking about here is based off two hours of bored youtube browsing. Are either of these scenarios likely? Probably not, but this is for fun. Don't take it overly seriously)

Here's what I'm doing:

Scenario 1 - Get the fuck out of dodge. I live two and a half hours from said volcano, and I don't care if it turns out not to be in danger at all. Not taking that chance if I have time to get out. Depending on prevailing wind direction and other factors, I'll try to make it to South America or possibly even Europe if that's a realistic option. If it's a full eruption, most of the Northern hemisphere is probably going to be very dark and cold for some time following.

Scenario 2: Climb onto the nearest roof with a six-pack of my favorite brew and wait to get buried under twenty feet of searing hot ash. :lol: If nothing else, some future scientist is gonna get a chuckle when they find somebody's solidified corpse sitting in a lawn chair holding up a bottle of Odelle's IPA. :awesome:
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Re: Yellowstone Supervolcano

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:32 pm

If we assume you plan to stay in mainland America I would think the best place to be would probably be Washington State. What is not blown up between the Appalachians and Rockies is gonna be covered in Ash. At least in Washington state you can depend on the jet stream blowing it East. This assumes that the eruption doesn't drastically alter weather patterns. At least initially, if you are on the other side of a mountain range you probably would be ok, these are educated guesses though. If we are talking any American lands outside of the mainland I would say head to Alaska.There are gonna be a lot of refugees and other countries might eventually become resentful. Just remember America still has the third largest population in the world and most of that lives on the outside of the 2 mountain ranges.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:44 am

I plan on moving to Colorado. This way if the supervolcano blows I'll go quickly and probably not suffer.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Shiloh
Favorite Zombie Movies: -Zombieland
-Dead snow
-28 days/weeks/months later

Post by Shiloh » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:42 pm

LyraJean wrote:I plan on moving to Colorado. This way if the supervolcano blows I'll go quickly and probably not suffer.
Dude, you're in Florida. You're probably the safest out of all of us. :lol:
Amateur radio operator - KG7QEL

Tactical furry.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Shiloh wrote:Scenario 1:
-Geologists monitoring YS observe increased levels of activity and make an estimate that there will be a total eruption in approximately two months, but only with 75% or so certainty. Meaning that it might not erupt at all, it could be a degraded event, or it'll go all the way.

Scenario 2:
-No prior warning. Out of nowhere, yellowstone goes at 100%. Full eruption of the main volcano, along with some of the smaller surrounding coldaras.
Being I am in WA I have little to worry about immediately except the event possibly causing the local faultlines and volcanoes here going off. If they don't go off Then I have plenty of time to react.

Scenario 1
With 75% certainty it is enough for me. I am booking it south, as in extreme Southern Hemisphere. New Zealand Or Australia sounds good, Or the tip of South America. I would sell off everything I could and buy a sail boat to take me and a few friends. Or I might join up with a friend who has a nice Trimaran already and see if he needs a crew member. Or with my own boat and his go south together increasing the amount of people we can take with us and general security of two boats vs one. Who knows we might even get a small flotilla of boats to make the trip together.

Scenario 2 a)
If it goes off and the WA fault lines hold, I am on the next plane to the Southern Hemisphere. Destination does not mater. I can arrange further travel south after I get below the Equator.

Scenario 2 b)
Since the faultlines in the PNW are due to go off, there is a high likelihood Yellowstone would set off the Cascadian quake in the PNW. In that case I would be pretty screwed at fleeing the Northern Hemisphere. It would also mean most ships would be destroyed in a tsunami and unavailable. If I was able to survive the Cascadian earthquake, I would start heading south as fast as I could. Which would likely not be very fast. If I could not find a boat that I could trade for that had not been in the water already and so somehow safe and get it into the water, then my best bet would be finding someone I could trade something for some horses. A couple decent horses would likely be the best way to travel carrying enough gear and going fast enough, but I would likely have issues with river crossing due to bridges going down. Hopefully I could find boats willing and able to ferry me and horses across the bigger ones, while smaller ones I might be able to find ways to ford them. It would be difficult and likely not fast enough, but I would try.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Mej1947

Post by Mej1947 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:01 pm

If any of the world’s super volcanos go off we’re all pretty well screwed. Does the term “nuclear winter” ring any bells?
The one in Yellowstone would affect us the most and the soonest. Being another Washington state native I’m probably in as good a place as any if as mentioned earlier the Cascadia fault line doesn’t kick in.
Heading south would probably be the best bet but how far and how fast is questionable. I think everyone else will be trying to do the same thing except the sheep who sit around waiting for Uncle Sam to come rescue them. The last I heard some of the folks in New Jersey are still waiting for the government help them out after hurricane Sandy.
Any end of the world as we know it event is going to set civilization back hundreds if not thousands of years. In our advanced society we are almost totally dependent on modern transportation, food and water supplies. Some people in third world countries might fare better than we will. They’re used to living on the edge.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi, Mej1947. Welcome to ZS.

Since you're new, I would like to remind you in a friendly manner to re-read the forum rules, especially about referring to people as animals.

We try to keep the conversations on topic here and free from such content.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

mantis

Post by mantis » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:18 pm

I am pretty far north of Yellowstone here in southern Ontario. For me, in case of scenario 1 - I would probably spend some time adding to my preps - checking and rechecking everything. In particular I would invest in more dust filter masks and things. In case of scenario 2, a lot depends on which way the wind is blowing. For the most part, I would be battening down the hatches, moving vehicles indoors, getting prepared to deal with ash, power outages, etc. Preparing to execute coordinated plans with family and friends and getting into a heightened state of readiness whereby I would be ready to execute a full bug out in a very short period of time.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

Mad Dog Jones
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of th Living Dead(colorized)1968;
Dawn of th Dead(1978);
Day of th Dead(1985);
Night of th Living Dead(remake)1990;
Dawn of th Dead;
Land of th Dead;
Day of th Dead;
Diary of th Dead;
Survival of th Dead;
Remains by Steve Niles;
Dance of th Dead by Gregg Bishop;
State of Emergency by Turner Clay;
Night of th Comet;
Automation Transfusion;
Gangs of th Dead;
Planet Terror;
Zombieland;
28 Days Later;
28 Week Later;
Days of Darkness;
Gangsters,Guns, and Zombies;
etc.etc...

Post by Mad Dog Jones » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:13 am

Scenario 1: Wait it out, with what Ive got, where Im at.
Scenario 2: Join shiloh on his roof top lawn chair exposition with a 12pk. of Heineken. When th moment comes, bend over, grab ankles, place head between legs, etc.,etc...
Mathew22:35-We are our own worst enemies,-Mad Dog-And ego is it's name.
Th only valuable thing in existance is love, and yes, you can take it with you when you go. Nothing else really matters.-MadDog

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 pm

If not close enough for the actual explosion, or the pyroclastic flow, then the threat is the ash fall, being smashed when a roof collapses, or what may be worse, inhaling the dust and either slowly suffocating or rapidly developing a debilitating lung disease.

http://ashfall.unl.edu/life_death.html

If you can maintain power, consider “Cyclonic Separation”, to remove at least some of the particles prior to a physical filter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclonic_separation

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:47 pm

What I tell anyone and everyone that brings this subject up around these parts (roughly 150 miles from Yellowstone) is I will sit on the roof of my house in a lawn chair with a bottle of High West Distillery Bourye and drink myself retarded while watching the pyroclastic flow come my way.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

Return to “What Would You Do?”