What would you do if your house was squatted??

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: What would you do if your house was squatted??

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 11, 2015 3:53 am

In San Francisco
Yep, not everyone lives in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Mon May 11, 2015 1:51 pm

Stercutus wrote:

In San Francisco
Yep, not everyone lives in one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world.
Stercutus wrote:Figure if it is going to cost you say $200 to evict someone and take two weeks, you can just go by and listen to the tenant hard luck story/ bullshit/ lies and then offer them a $100 to clean up and clear out in two days
Yep, the cost of a decent family meal, or a nice dining experience for two isn't going to get a lot of people to leave a home they are illegally staying in. Especially not if the law is on their side and will keep them in place for months and months (in most states). This was demonstrated above with multiple reports of people doing this thing and staying for a long time.

If someone was in a terrible financial spot, following the law and staying rent free for months until they were forced to move may sound more appealing than a couple hundred dollars. That's kind of what I was getting at.

I understand where you're coming from: throw money at them and they're likely to leave before the law times them out of their stay.

I would suggest starting by throwing the value of 2-3 months (the value of the property they're staying in) at them. Maybe give them 30 days to leave, and if they do you'll give them that 2-3 months rent as a payment to leave. If the law will let them stay for 6 months you will likely be out the rent for that full 6 months (whatever local laws dictate). If you hand that money to them immediately you can eat the loss and try to get the property cleaned up and back on the market as quickly as possible.

People can be pretty effective at destroying property when they decide they don't care about it anymore.
http://nextshark.com/insane-orgy-party- ... verywhere/
http://abc7news.com/travel/couples-home ... rs/690352/
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local ... 05362.html
Stories about people taking advantage of a home they don't have enough of an incentive to take care of. Also, anytime a news story says "semen everywhere" you know the story is going to be amazing.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Stories about people taking advantage of a home they don't have enough of an incentive to take care of.
Exactly. The economics of each situation will be different but the focus should be getting them gone as quickly as possible. Of course if the tenant really pisses the landlord off and he gets a judgement for non-payment of rent/ damages then that tenant's days of finding a new landlord to screw over will come to an end. Just about everywhere that it is legal too does a credit check these days.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Spazzy

Post by Spazzy » Tue May 12, 2015 12:43 pm

Before I started my wonderful career as a govt money whor... I mean civil service employee... I was doing accounting work for a large forclosure firm. From my personal experience it just doesn't pay (pun) to have property in a so called "politically blue" area. On the east coast in DC for example it can take up to TWO YEARS to evict a non paying person/family. In MA it can be over a year to evict, with children involved, even longer. Right outside the DC area in Virginia you can have someone ousted within a few hours for trespassing on a foreclosed property regardless of the situation. My brother is out in LA as a slum lor... I mean rental property owner / house flipper, and he has a lot of issues with squatters. Once he hired a fence company to come in and fence off the entire house, then hired security so the people couldn't leave the property or they would never get back in. I thought that was funny... In NY if you "maintain" the property for a few years, cut the grass, paint, trim bushes, etc, you can become a legal interest in the property and even granted rights to it even though you might be walking past no tresspassing signs to do the work. Then in VT you can still just be shot outright for trespassing in the first place and only have the right to bleed out on the grass. Different places, different rules, just remember you elected these people to make those rules in the first place. LOL
Overheard at my USN retirement ceremony....
"So he's not a team player then?"
"You mean Spazz...? Hes not even a fan of the team."

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:18 pm

This is a growing problem in NY. Especially when the squatters draw up bogus rental contracts and they get utilities set up to validate their claim that they legally reside there. They know enough about playing the system that they hold their ground and enter the lengthy civil eviction process. When I have dealt with this in the past as a LEO, I have favored the homeowner and gave the squatters the option of leaving or arrest for criminal trespass. I have arrested squatters who were obviously just that, squatters. Of course many LEO's will opt to make it a civil dispute and direct the homeowner to the eviction process. It gets tricky when you have people renting unoccupied homes via craigslist, defraud renters of money, and then several months later the real homeowner finds out their property has been occupied. My dept only recently came out with a policy of arresting squatters for trespass. Prior to that it was the call of the officer on the scene.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:43 pm

Here is an interesting idea. You move in and out squat them.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1942859

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:00 am

I'm not worried about getting someone out of my home if they moved in while I was away. That would be the easy part. My concern would be figuring out where all my stuff was and getting it back.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

aephilli

Post by aephilli » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:37 pm

I know people that like to party, offer my friends free beer and a place to cut loose, and the squatters never get a wink of sleep. (and neither "Tiny" nor "Chains" are very polite to people objecting to their right to party)

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Squat in my own goddamn home with a double barreled shotgun.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:46 pm

If I came home and found squatters in my house I'd decide right then and there that it is time to replace the metal on the roof and fix that drain line in the basement that needs jackhammered up. I may even decide to raise my house six inches. You never know how long some jobs can take, and since the cobbler's kids go shoeless it might take longer. I've also been thinking about replacing my front door.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:28 pm

Been a landlord most of my life and helped my Dad when he was alive manage rentals. Gone through more than a few evictions.
What I would do based on that. I wouldn't be print here.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:28 am

Well... in my leases the doors are listed as appliances that can be removed at landlords discression. So to evict people we have removed the doors for "maintenance" which really motivated the tenants to move as it was winter and the average temp was pretty darn cold without a door. I dealt with a squatter once some family member who refused to vacate. We simply removed all the "appliances" and towed their cars then my hillbilly ass friends came over with some guns and also squatted. She decided to leave.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:59 pm

I don't understand?

Squatting?

You must be talking about an active home invasion." Honest officer I was defending myself. I must have walked in on a robbery in progress."

Technically they are trying to steal your home.

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:21 am

MacAttack wrote:I don't understand?

Squatting?

You must be talking about an active home invasion." Honest officer I was defending myself. I must have walked in on a robbery in progress."

Technically they are trying to steal your home.
It's more of, people have invaded your unoccupied home... you get back and find them there. Especially if it isn't your personal domicile... more like a property that you rent out. Instead of signing a lease, people found an unoccupied house or apartment, and moved in without notifying you.

It's hard to prove active home invasion when the house or apartment in question isn't the place you sleep at night... and the people who were doing the alleged invasion have toothbrushes in the bathroom and cell phone chargers plugged into the walls.
Last edited by Neptune Glory on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:26 am

Fumigate the home. For termites. And other "pests".

Seriously, physically remove them / toss them out. If I lived where that was a legal no-go then I'd sell the property and move where my property rights are respected by law.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Ops.

Went to far my bad.

Squatting in the US is not a huge problem. Unless you count crack addicts in abandoned dwellings and or unevicted tenants as squatters.

Squatting laws are pretty straight forward.
The squatter must prove residency and upkeep for a number of years(including all taxes) then they can file a claim for the property.
At anytime before that date the legal current owner can come back and take possession of the property.
The squatter can file against the owner for any and all repairs and taxes made and paid on the property. If they are not paid back then a lien on the property can be placed and when its sold the lien holder gets paid first.
Home improvements are not included since the owner didn't ask for them and they are not reasonable.

Most homes that are "squatted" by the poor have long been abandoned by the owners for several years and are not fit for habitation.Plus they normally owe back taxes far exceeding the value of the land and home.

Any property that might be considered good for squatting would have to be in good shape with little to no need of repairs. And stands very little chance of being forgotten for a number of years by it owner.

Your best bet would be to find a good candidate and check the tax office. If the taxes are paid up then you stand no chance of squatting the property.
But if they are back several years then go ahead and pay the back taxes. *get that receipt ), move in and take your chances. Be prepared to quote the squatting laws of your area and politely defend yourself to the first cops who come asking why your in the home.

Unless you are following the rules of squatting then you are just committing a breaking and entering and or a home invasion.
Last edited by MacAttack on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vini Vidi

Post by Vini Vidi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:15 am

Under Arkansas' “failure to vacate” law, tenants who are even a day late on their rent can be evicted on 10 days’ notice and charged with a misdemeanor if they’re not out by then.

http://metcouncilonhousing.org/news_and ... in_country

[However, the law may have been ruled unconstitutional.]

Redacted

Post by Redacted » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:51 pm

If my house was squatted? Simple.

Release the Hounds.

You can't argue law with a charging mastiff.
Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:44 pm

manowar1313 wrote:Well... in my leases the doors are listed as appliances that can be removed at landlords discression. So to evict people we have removed the doors for "maintenance" which really motivated the tenants to move as it was winter and the average temp was pretty darn cold without a door. I dealt with a squatter once some family member who refused to vacate. We simply removed all the "appliances" and towed their cars then my hillbilly ass friends came over with some guns and also squatted. She decided to leave.
Interesting. In Texas, that's a crime. Several, in fact. Any sort of harassment of a defaulting renter, legal or otherwise, is bad mojo for the owner. Interfering with any utility, entering the property...all are crimes. Nothing in the lease is enforceable per se; we recently had one landlord who entered a rented dwelling as stated in his lease (he was also the owner) and he went to jail for criminal trespass. That's hardly unusual.

That said, it takes about a week to ten days to evict a defaulting renter, and costs $35 in my county if you don't use a lawyer. You have to given them a 72 hour notice in writing, then if they are still there file in JP court, and within a couple days an eviction order will be given. The order usually gives them a few days to move out, depending upon the circumstances.

Squatters, on the other hand, are criminals, and will be dealt with promptly. In the case of a scam by someone else where they have bogus or good faith rental agreements, you may have to go through the above eviction process, depending upon the circumstances. However, you cannot harass them in any way. Should you attempt to enter the premises, sic dogs upon them, interfere with utilities, etc, you are committing criminal acts.

In Texas only a court order may cause a person to quit a residence once domicile has been established; the exception to this is if they established domicile as part of a criminal act.

Squatters aren't really an issue in my area, but you do see con men renting out homes and buildings they don't own (absentee landlords). Occasionally selling them, too.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:03 pm

a little closer to home.....

Outrage as a pair of ex-convict squatters take over Florida home of Afghan war veteran and refuse to leave

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... leave.html

"When U.S. Army Spc Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he could never imagine that he would have to wage a legal battle just to get his Florida house back from a pair of ex-convicts who had settled there in his absence.

Sharkey and his wife, Danielle, live in Wahiawa, Hawaii, where the soldier is currently stationed, but in a little over a month, the family are expected to return to New Port Richey, Florida, where they own a house.

However, the Sharkeys' homecoming has been complicated by the presence of squatters in their one-story residence in the 6800 block of Westend Avenue" read full story at link

Veterans unite to kick squatting felon out of deployed soldier’s home
Read more at http://rare.us/story/veterans-unite-to- ... aFVI8sh.99

"After a local Florida newscast broke the story of a veteran’s home being taken over by squatters, local veterans took it upon themselves to do what the police couldn’t.
Read more at http://rare.us/story/veterans-unite-to- ... aFVI8sh.99"
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:19 pm

If it's less then 30 days (CA law), they're not squatters, they're trespassers. First call to the cops, second call to the brute squad.

If over 30 days set up weekly inspections and keep logs. First call to the cops, second call to the lawyers, third to the brute squad.

For that matter, you can request the local cops or volunteers do periodic checks. Their logs beat the squatters documents.

Return to “What Would You Do?”