What would you do with a pile of wooden pallets?

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wolfram

What would you do with a pile of wooden pallets?

Post by Wolfram » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:06 am

Just some food for thought.

My pop's in the roofing business, we go through wooden pallets like crazy, like about 60-80 pallets in one month. 99% of them get thrown out when we finish a job, we dump them at the landfill along with the ripped old shingles. Always seems to me that it was such a waste throwing these things away, with retail lumber these days being far from cheap, I bet a resourceful prepper could find a thousand uses from these.

The quality of lumber used to make these cheap pallets are probably not the best, many of them are irregular pieces of knotty, gnarly softwood nailed or stapled to together, but there are nice straight boards between the bad ones. Once in a while you get a few knock out from quality cedar boards, scrap from a deck or fencing job I suppose. Either way, the pallets themselves are not exactly shoddy or weak things, seeing how they can handle up to 2000-3000 lbs of shingles sitting on top of them. I could probably make a nice zombie-proof wall with these to surround my lot, if I could find a way to lug them all home :lol: .

In any case, they're not exactly uncommon in the urban environment, our supplier has probably half a thousand empty pallets stacked up in the back of his suburbs store/warehouse. Then you have your local retail, light industrial, distribution warehouses,...etc, a dozen places within an hour's walk with probably the most readily available source of wood you're going to find in a large town or city environment. You can probably get wood from other sources, but the boards on a pallet are easy to pry off with a crowbar or claw hammer, and they're in manageable/carriable 4 feet lengths. Good for boarding up windows and doors, making repairs or improvements to structures, and maybe even to split and turn into shafts for bolts and arrows.

The only thing that's probably not a good idea to used them for is firewood, seeing how most of these pallets get deliver along with goods from elsewhere, most of them are require to be fumigated or sprayed with poisonous pesticides to prevent invasive insects and pests from hitching a ride over the border. So don't burn your pallet wood! Though the pesticide treatment is a plus if we're going to be using them to build stuff outside.

Thoughts?
Post-Apocalypse Hobo, Handyman, and Artisan.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Re: What would you do with a pile of wooden pallets?

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:34 am

Start your own shed and outbuilding business. https://www.pinterest.com/explore/pallet-house/

Here is the video

http://youtu.be/3M2j5SIPC6U
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Wolfram

Post by Wolfram » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:08 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Start your own shed and outbuilding business. https://www.pinterest.com/explore/pallet-house/

Here is the video

:rofl: that actually looks quite nice.
Post-Apocalypse Hobo, Handyman, and Artisan.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:00 am

Wire them together standing upright to make free, disposable compost bins.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:41 am

If you get the type of volume you were talking about on a pretty regular basis...say what 60 to 80 pallets x month, if you have the means (being that the family business is in roofing, I am willing to bet you do have access to a flatbed truck) do a Google search for a freight business that buys pallets back in your area.

In my AO which is primarily commercial / industrial transportation center near O'Hare airport, a train depot and several truck shipping outfits, there are several businesses that will give you anywhere between $2.80 to $3.20 per pallet so long as they are in undamaged serviceable condition. Regardless of how rough they look.

At 80 x $3.00 = $240.00, your overhead of course would be gas and man hours to get them all up on the truck, but I don't see why you cannot turn these into a little slush fund payday, especially if you guys always have a steady supply of them coming in.
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:05 am

This- but I work for a company that builds the grinding machines for recycling pallets/wood cuttings, scraps etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjfZCP_3S4E

Otherwise sell them, we always have people stopping to see if we have extra pallets they can have.

Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:26 am

All of these are great ideas.

Re-selling them is a great idea. In my area I know of several businesses that buy them in quantity. Check around and you may find several in your area

This was not mentioned:

Make planters out of them.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:52 am

Bonfire. I know you said "don't burn it" but ask my folks, I don't listen well.

Have a block party, invite the town, charge people $3 for drinks, make it a pot luck for food. Make the proceeds benefit a cancer charity so it's ironic as you frolic around a carcinogen inferno
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Hollis
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Fido, 28 days later, Night of the Living Dead,

Post by Hollis » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:38 pm

I made a couch and chair with pallet material.

Those out building are really great looking.
Zombies don't ski.

BigFish
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, World War Z

Post by BigFish » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:03 pm

I just saw this on twitter: Upcycling Interiors: 10 Top Pallet Ideas

LJ126
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both), Shaun of the Dead, Wild Zero, 28 Days/Weeks, The Crazies, The Reanimator, etc. I love 'em all!

Post by LJ126 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:13 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:Start your own shed and outbuilding business. https://www.pinterest.com/explore/pallet-house/

Here is the video

That there is actually surprisingly nice. If you had enough, you could build a very nice intermediary between a tent and a small cabin using only pallets. It wouldn't be particularly tough.
...As the great warrior poet O'Shea "Ice Cube" Jackson, Sr. once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:57 pm

Here is the video

That is funny, I usually break down wood pallets for firewood, and I spent $500 on a crappy plastic shed last year...who knew you could build something like that.

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm

how about use them to build a fence around a garden?
use as firewood in the winter?
Save for use in boarding up the windows when the zombies come?
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:11 pm

You can knock together the frame for a shed or other out building out of them really quickly. Then, you can insulate them, and plank, or single the outside, make it water proof, and it's gonna last about as long as any of these shoddy wooden houses you have in the New World :wink:
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

litegod

Post by litegod » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:28 pm

we use the pallets for firewood all the time. most of the ones here are plain untreated pine. they are built cheap and are disposable. we have an airtight stove in the basement and a fire pit out back. you have to be a little picky with them, if they are suspect then pass until you find others.

there are some that you can tell they have been shipped form another part of the world, you just pass on them. came across one time that was this beautiful dark hardwood. no idea what it was.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:35 pm

litegod wrote:.... there are some that you can tell they have been shipped form another part of the world, you just pass on them. came across one time that was this beautiful dark hardwood. no idea what it was.
The drumming circles in San Diego would keep an eye out for pallets from Indonesia and Malaysia because the often contained exotic hardwood that they would salvage to make drums.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Kilo147

Post by Kilo147 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:16 am

Depending on condition, I have about twenty things to build. Basically every possible piece of furniture a house needs, from tables and chairs to counters and headboards, bookshelves, entertainment centers, and anything else under the sun.

videoflyguy

Post by videoflyguy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Uh, give them to me maybe? hahaha :lol:

I doubt you are close, but if you are I could take a few off your hands.

What I would do is set a few up and hang target papers from them. Cheap and useful, plus they are plentiful in your case.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Pallet uses are many. Some of what you can use them for does depend on what materials are in making the pallet, soft woods or hard woods. And of course the condition of the pallet.

Fences, Sheds, Chicken coops, planters, furniture, flooring, decking, boardwalk walkways, and on the list goes. Here is a site of 107 pallet project ideas http://www.snappypixels.com/diy-ideas/1 ... and-ideas/ There are many other sites that list 50 or 25 or some other number of pallet projects, most overlap with the same projects, but might have a few different ones. There are tons of folks who have shared their pallet project ideas online, if you search for them, you just might be amazed at what folks do with pallets. Some of the projects are rough and obviously pallets, but some you no longer can even tell they were once pallets.

Pallets are a great prepper resource for DIY projects. That pallets are often given free for the taking, which can really help the prepper budget.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Step 1: gather lots of wooden pallets

Step 2: ?

Step 3: Profit
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Craigslist them for free or cheap if you just want to get rid of them. There are a ton of ideas I see on Facebook/Pinterest (that friends post) for arts and crafts stuff, to disassembling them and building simple shops and domiciles, or using the wood for flooring. This site has some ideas.

http://www.1001pallets.com/other-pallet ... let-ideas/
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:01 pm

Image Image Image
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:43 am

Well if you really wanted you could build a Wall of Death, see someone has done it, so we know it can be done.

Or you could start a fire delivery service, just watch out for caravans.

"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:50 am

Looks like Jackass finally has some competition.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “What Would You Do?”