Foreign Invasion WWYD

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

T-rex23
Favorite Zombie Movies: To many to count...

Foreign Invasion WWYD

Post by T-rex23 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:07 pm

What would be the best thing to do during a foreign invasion, such as what to expect from the occupation forces, counter measures against their tactics and things of that nature. I don't know if this has been posted else where I looked, so if this has already been posted then I am sorry, but I have searched all over and can't find anything good and I was wondering if anybody here had some good advice or counter measures.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Foreign Invasion WWYD

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Enlist, run, or if all else fails avoid incoming and keep your head down.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:48 pm

If the US were invaded you should expect brutality and civilian extermination. The civil leaders would be contained and most likely liquidated. The same would be likely for anyone who offered resistance, was deemed a threat or otherwise posed any sort of problem.

Such an invasion would be a very unpleasant event.

As for what to do? My advice is make sure we launch a pre-emptive strike.

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Bug my family out to my hidey hole, make contact with the local Sheriff's posse to see what the plan is and if I can assist.
Boldly going nowhere

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:00 pm

No nation has the military power or global reach to invade the continental US - yet. But if I lived in Australia and was watching China rise to a military superpower with covetous eyes on regional countries' land and resources, I'd be as nervous as a six-year-old at the Neverland Ranch. Especially since the population let itself be disarmed.

Check out this GREAT 2010 Aussie movie on Netflix: Tomorrow When the War Began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhErN ... freload=10

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:10 pm

I think any foreign power would have a really hard time invading America. I am sure I would be dead long before they made landfall, but if not, fight them of course.

America is very large. We are also #3 in terms of population. And while we might hate each other inside this nation, we LOVE America its self and I think a great deal of American's would resist. We also have a vast number of guns, which would make things unpleasant for the invaders.

Apathy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Open grave

Post by Apathy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:35 am

No nation or coalition of nations currently has the navel capacity to fight their way to our shores. I think that the only possible threat of invasion would be from the south.

Imagine if a group of South American nations established governments and policies that created a massive conflict of interest with the US. If they played their cards right the could build a group of armies that could match us numerically. And they could invade through Texas and the great plains, cutting the nation in half.

The scenario breaks down when one considers the technology gap they would have. An insurgency could be built and maintained fairly easily due to our very open boarders in the north and south. Maybe this south American alliance could get an emp from North Korea. I guess it could happen, but I don't think it very likely.

Lincoln had this to say.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

We have a good military, they will keep us safe. We just need to make sure we don't screw things up on the inside.

But if i was an Australian, i'd be asking for my guns back... I'm kinda worried about you guys down under.
Liebe läßt sich suchen, finden,
Niemals lernen, oder lehren,
Wer da will die Flamm' entzünden
Ohne selbst sich zu verzehren,

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:21 am

I would take my ragtag band of friends/family to the mountains in my Chevy stepside, organize, and then take the fight to the enemy.

We would most likely name our guerrilla force after our local football team.

One member of our group may betray us, but we will not be divided.. BECAUSE WE LIVE HERE!

T-rex23
Favorite Zombie Movies: To many to count...

Post by T-rex23 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:43 am

Thank you guy for the responses, sorry if the scenario seemed kind of dim whited and out there, but with Russia and N.Korea I was looking for some info to add to my literary pile. I hope you guy had a safe and Merry Christmas!

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:33 am

offcamber wrote:I would take my ragtag band of friends/family to the mountains in my Chevy stepside, organize, and then take the fight to the enemy.

The problem is what if the local Football Team is University of California Santa Cruz.

BANANA SLUGS !!!!!!

Pac12

Post by Pac12 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Umm. Can't see China going for Aus. They'd be stopped by US and GB very quickly. France and Germany would also step in. Probably Canada as well.

More likely see China going north or west into Russia. Russia is relatively sparsely populated and resource rich. China can trade 200million bodies for land space and still have bodies to hold it.

Russians will toss nukes around before they let China in

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:26 pm

The only way I ever see an invasion of the U.S. happening is if it closely follows an EMP attack, this would knock out most of our defenses and comms, if they were quick enough they could take over most of the country, but would soon face a guerilla war, depends on a number of things for how effective the guerillas would be.
Or it could be after the die off of a disease epidemic, but that could cause the invaders to be exposed to the disease themselves.
I suppose it could also be a situation like in the story of Cold Camp, but that gets political and I'll leave it at that.
So, if after an EMP I see an invading force, I honestly haven't decided what I'd do first, but all my options end in fighting the invaders, as history has shown that it's best to resist versus submit.

Murph

Post by Murph » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:31 pm

If you look to history, the invaded populace generally breaks down to 5 groups:
People Who Remain Neutral
Sympathizers
Rebels
Sympathizers acting as Rebels
Rebels acting as Sympathizers
...And sooner or later everybody tends to get theirs one way or another.
Or there is becoming a refuge, but that isn't without its own problems.
So choose wisely...
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:41 pm

Or, they can wait until power is even more centralized here, and move in to stage a silent coup. (some believe it's already happened, but that's a discussion for another place)
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:15 pm

T-rex23 wrote:What would be the best thing to do during a foreign invasion, such as what to expect from the occupation forces, counter measures against their tactics and things of that nature. I don't know if this has been posted else where I looked, so if this has already been posted then I am sorry, but I have searched all over and can't find anything good and I was wondering if anybody here had some good advice or counter measures.

Go watch "Red Dawn" for the general idea...... :words:

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:17 pm

offcamber wrote:I would take my ragtag band of friends/family to the mountains in my Chevy stepside, organize, and then take the fight to the enemy.

One member of our group may betray us, but we will not be divided.. BECAUSE WE LIVE HERE!

Sounds vaguely familiar. :ooh:

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:07 pm

Well... if the US was invaded I would assume it would have to be REALLY foreign, like not of this world. In which case I would hail to our flying spaghetti monster overload!

Anyone else I would Red Dawn the shit out of that scenario. Also everyone has seen Red Dawn but what about Tomorrow When The War Began?
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:17 am

Looked like an Aussie-fied Red Dawn, but surprisingly good. It was close enough to the remake of R.D. that it could easily have been
written about the same event, about a different location.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:42 am

velojym wrote:Looked like an Aussie-fied Red Dawn, but surprisingly good. It was close enough to the remake of R.D. that it could easily have been
written about the same event, about a different location.
I know this might be blasphemy but it might be better than the RD remake. I know the climax is more realistic and believable.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:40 pm

It's been quite awhile since I've seen "Tomorrow When the War Began", but I remember that it was rather good, little more realistic than Red Dawn; heck maybe it could even be seen as a prequel to the Red Dawn remake :crazy:

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 pm

I am a bit old to be playing insurgent running through the woods sniping at foreigners. I would try to get a job on the invaders base that would let me move around with a minimum of supervision like cleaning the shitters and use my access and experience to funnel intelligence to the resistance.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:30 am

First up, to answer the OP question, "what I would do?" I would take my family and run if I can. If I can't get out in time I would sit tight, and try to get them out later. If the whole world is stuck in the same situation, I would resist as much as I can.

Something I do wonder about though is some of the comments from my fellow Americans, that the USA cannot be conquered by another country. I beg to differ. I don't think it would be easy, but with the right planning, and tons of money and resources I think it could be done by a large country like China in the near future (I think China needs to build up and modernize its military first), or maybe by an alliances of multiple 1st world countries.

I almost want to throw out my "How China can take the USA in 6 months or less" theory, but I just want to see what the rest of you think.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:44 am

Howabout 'Can't be conquered without an expenditure of lives, resources, and global political capital which would do irreparable harm to the attackers?'

Sure you could make up a scenario, but a rogue asteroid could also obliterate our moon. I don't think there's a country that has both the means and the desire to try to invade US soil.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:35 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: I don't think there's a country that has both the means and the desire to try to invade US soil.
That's what it comes down to in a nutshell, but I would argue that there isn't a country in the world with the means, although I would love to hear how someone thinks it could be done.

My thoughts on how it is not possible at this time starts and ends with the US Navy. Even if a foreign power could gain a toe-hold in the continental US, their supply lines would be instantly shut by a convergence of carrier strike groups. While there are a handful of countries in the world that could power past one carrier group, maybe 2 or 3 at most with heavy losses, we have 10. Throw in our Seawolf, Virginia and Los Angeles class submarines, and there isn't a country in the world that can hold the 3,000+ mile supply lines necessary to stay for very long.

The most strategic advantage we have is proximity, or lack thereof, to other powers.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Return to “What Would You Do?”