Keeping a trailer safe

Discuss those "what if" or "what would you do" scenarios you've been wondering about.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

SCBrian

Keeping a trailer safe

Post by SCBrian » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:13 am

Tossing this out to the Hive mind (Mods please move if there is a better section)

There have been a number of enclosed trailers in the area stolen over the last few weeks. Broad daylight, out of the owners driveways, etc. I've felt pretty secure since I have a coupler lock on mine:

We had one just up the road stolen Monday that had one. :vmad: They apparently cut through the top bar. In my reading, I've also discovered that some wont even bother to cut, just hook up under/behind it. So... I'm looking for something that would immobilize the trailer. Homebrew or not. I'm looking at a boot, but want to see what the hive mind can come up with.
The givens:
Trailer is a single axle 6x10 enclosed trailer with barn doors, and a 1 7/8 hitch.
Daylight theft from residential neighborhoods
Thieves have at least some sort of cutting implements (waiting on an email back on the specific way it was cut, grinder, bolt cutters, etc...)
Thieves may just lift the front and ride...

"Help me Obi Wan Kanobi ZS, you're my only hope "

:crazy:

Help me Obi-wan - your
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

Mikeyboy

Re: Keeping a trailer safe

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:25 am

Ironically, this question came up before. Here is an old thread. Don't worry, you would have never found it in a search just based on the title.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=109067&hilit=trailer

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:41 am

My concern is if they are already working with cutting equipment or bolt cutters, the "chain to a slab" method wont work. :( I do remember that thread though.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:47 am

Take a tire and wheel hub off of the trailer when you aren't using it.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:15 pm

You can get a tire boot off of amazon for much cheaper than the replacement cost of a trailer, pretty tough to remove those things, depending on the style.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:51 pm

You could put up security cameras either real or good fake ones. On top of everything else mentioned it might dissuade a thief from even trying. If the do attempt something the video could also be used to catch them

Ordinary
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Dead Snow, Zombieland

Post by Ordinary » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I have this cheap DIY motion alarm on my bike. It works very well.

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:55 pm

You could always hang a sign on the trailer that says "Smile for the camera"

Maybe a boot on each wheel and the coupler lock?
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Lojack the frame

http://www.amazon.com/Ximico%C2%AE-Trac ... 1986011_10

plus a straight talk sim card, keep the info and activate it only when you need it.

Locks are at best a deterrent, they slow a theif down enough to hopefully make them seek out an easier target - there is no such thing as absolute security - however - by locating your property, and the one who took it - you MAY remove yet another thief from circulation.

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Removing a tire is good. Boots are not so great, as unless you put a lot of money into them the lock is very vulnerable (my agency found this out the hard way).

Locks, as noted, just slow a thief down. Definitely have them, but the best IME is to make it hard to move the trailer. I have mine up on blocks, which helps extended the tire life. Check your city ords first (the abandoned vehicle definitions) but I pull my LP too. Nobody wants to haul a stolen trailer with no LP.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

M_Angell
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything really... Zombieland, Dead Snow

Post by M_Angell » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:11 pm

A trick we used to use when I worked construction was to chain the wheels together. Now if they are using an angle grinder pretty much anything you put on there is vulnerable. Also depending on what your wheels look like this might not be very easy to do.

I've found that if you can make it difficult to move they will most likely just try to get inside. Instead of immobilizing your trailer try making it unsafe to take. Remove all of the lug nuts for instance, one or two turns and that wheel will fall off. Try leaving the trailer on jack stands or blocks as stated.
woodsghost wrote:"Not being a dick" is a time honored survival strategy.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:44 pm

TheZone wrote:Removing a tire is good. Boots are not so great, as unless you put a lot of money into them the lock is very vulnerable (my agency found this out the hard way).

Locks, as noted, just slow a thief down. Definitely have them, but the best IME is to make it hard to move the trailer. I have mine up on blocks, which helps extended the tire life. Check your city ords first (the abandoned vehicle definitions) but I pull my LP too. Nobody wants to haul a stolen trailer with no LP.
What was the issue you were having with boots? The ones I'm looking at cover the lugnuts so you cant pull the tire...

Just had another local one stolen that was secured and chained to a tree as well. :(
I tilt at Windmills

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 pm

If they are cutting, that really limits a lot of the tricks people have suggested and tricks I have used.

I would put the trailer on blocks/jackstands and remove the wheels. They can always cut somehing of, but they can't always add something on.

You can always add a game camera/cheap surveillance camera nearby as well to catch the thief if they do get creative and steal stuff from the inside. But I would still buy the best chains and padlocks to slow them down or deter them from trying.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:43 pm

SCBrian wrote:
TheZone wrote:Removing a tire is good. Boots are not so great, as unless you put a lot of money into them the lock is very vulnerable (my agency found this out the hard way).

What was the issue you were having with boots? The ones I'm looking at cover the lugnuts so you cant pull the tire...

Just had another local one stolen that was secured and chained to a tree as well. :(
Using a battery-powered drill to defeat the lock. Drill out the key socket and it often disengages the lock. And the ones we had, the key area was fairly soft metal. Given the amount we paid for them, it was quite a disappointment.
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:53 pm

TheZone wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

Using a battery-powered drill to defeat the lock. Drill out the key socket and it often disengages the lock. And the ones we had, the key area was fairly soft metal. Given the amount we paid for them, it was quite a disappointment.
Gotcha. I'm going to hit up some of the local tow truck company and PD's and see if they have any surplus ones they would like to donate. Otherwise pulling tires/hubs seems to be the best solution so far :( just a pain in the rear. I'm considered 'county' not city where I am, so it's not a major deal and it'd take a pretty brazen cop to complain about a BoyScout trail on a block with the thefts... :)
I tilt at Windmills

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:35 am

I've seen some people taking the hitch of, depending of the type it may be just two bolts.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:23 pm

At work we remove the hitch and then use a special tool to jack up legs at the corners to get it off the ground. You have to really, really want it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Redacted

Post by Redacted » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:02 pm

If you're not using a Weight Distribution type hitch then you might consider changing from a ball to a pintle hitch. They're way less common and unless you have a pintle reciever you aren't going anywhere with the trailer.

If you are using a weight distribution hitch you might consider changing the ball and reciever size to something less common, but still rated for your trailer weight. (Class 4 to a Class 5 for example).
Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn onward to new era?

Return to “What Would You Do?”